Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Audio Questions

azoldazold Member Posts: 3
2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL - Bose premium sound

For some reason the speakers hiss even when the stereo is off and even if the car is simply on accesory (ACC). Has anyone experienced the same annoying problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think it might be that the amp/preamp is powered on separately from the head unit - therefore sending a signal to the speakers when the car is powered on.

Comments

• surfmansurfman Member Posts: 11
    Any one know how many watts this unit puts out? Cannot find the info anywhere, including the dealer.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Thought I read that is is like 264 Watts. I have a TL and it is bette rthan the TL, btu not as good as the JBL that was in my 07 Camry. I beleive the JBL was 440. The TL is decent through about mid power then it flattens out loosing low end fast. The Bose in the Altima has better dynamic raneg through more of the power band, but at about 3/4 it starts to flatten out and near the top actually distorts, somehitng the TL and JBL never do. The JBL is super strong through most of its power band delivering good low end even near the top.
  • roopsterroopster Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 Nissan Altima has horrible radio reception. My Toyota picks up the same stations from 75+ miles away. The Nissan is total static at 25 miles. Anyone else had this problem? Any other suggestions?
  • jafrancesjafrances Member Posts: 6
    I been driving around in my 2007 Altima with the same frustration. Static conistantly on local stations that come in clear on my two other car radios.

Not sure what to do.
  • lgj069lgj069 Member Posts: 7
    Good Day all, Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 1993/94 Altima CD/Stereo. I beleive this stereo is made by Infinity for Nissan. Thanx for your time and efforts... PEACE Larry
  • marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    YES, I do have the same problem. and I have visited the dealer, tested several new cars - all have the same problem BUT the dealer seems NOT to hear the hiss!!! BS!! it drives me crazy, they want to leave me my car in the shop so their tech can take the stereo apart etc. Why not take any other car off the lot! I've called Nissan consumer affairs but for them to help me I must first have a diagnostic check performed by a dealer. Grrrrr!!!!!!! I will do that next week, waste my time at the dealership and then call NCA again.

Were you able to get this fixed?
  • azoldazold Member Posts: 3
    Why Nissan/Bose would go through all the trouble of creating a high end stereo and still allow there to be hissing is ridiculous, but probably comes down to money, which I will explain later. I haven't gotten any official response from Nissan, but this is as close to an answer as I've gotten so far:

After speaking with various car stereo installers, the consensus is that there is noise being generated by the more powerful amplifier that is installed with the Bose Premium Sound Package. Unfortunately, this upgraded amplifier (located on the underside of the rear decklid in the trunk) turns on using a different power source than the head unit. Therefore the amplifier is turned on once the accessories are activated, not in conjunction with the head unit.

Why the hissing? Nissan/Bose installed a powerful amp which has no noise gate (cut off) on the hissing noise until the head unit is activated. It's not there's anything wrong with the car (I wish because then I would have them fix it) - it was poorly designed. I believe it was an issue of cost/benefit. To have the amp and the head unit turn on together would be more costly (they would need to run more wires through the car and most Altimas are purchased WITHOUT the premium sound package.) The cheaper method is to simply tap into the power at the rear of the car when the upgraded stereo is installed.)

I have to assume that the hissing was an acceptable byproduct of this cost-cutting design. They could have installed a noise gate somewhere in the line to allow the hissing only when the head unit is powered on. Why not? I have no idea.

Scientific information about the hissing noise:
    "All amplifiers generate a certain amount of electrical noise. Note: the noise I refer to here is noise inherent in semiconductor circuits , not noise caused by improper wiring, poor shielding, etc. Generally, the more powerful the amplifier, the more noise it will put out. If you turn on an amplifier (with the input device connected but powered off) and listen to a speaker connected to the amp you can clearly hear a hissing sound. This pretty much represents the noise floor of the amplifier. If the amp has an input level control you will likely notice that the noise may vary as a function of the setting of the control. For a powerful system, the noise might seem pretty obvious and annoying; however when actual music is playing the noise will be totally masked."

I think that last sentence wraps up Nissan's decision to leave the hissing. Most of the time, the car will be used while it is moving or when the stereo is on, or both, therefore reducing the time where the hiss can be heard (making it less of a problem - to them). The problem is that the car is so well insulated, I can still hear the hissing while driving around with the stereo off! Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of this soon.
  • 202020202020 Member Posts: 1
    Altima 2008 with Bose premium sound without navigation-
    Highly disappointed with sound - too much base and front door speakers sound
    muddled. Thought front door speakers no good and went to dealer - listened to others and problem is the same. Great car horrible sound. Suggest in future anyone buy the normal(also lousy) system and then upgrade at an audio shop.
    Once "stuck" with Bose then trying to replace system extremely expensive.
    Have visited several audio stores - some say impossible to just replace front door speakers - other say you can do it. Need help from other dissappointed buyers
    with same problem and best way to improve sound -
  • kosarfankosarfan Member Posts: 11
    I am looking to purchase a 2008 Altima 2.5SL with all the bells and whistles but am curious about the Ipod compatibility. They advertise with the "ipod" stickers on the windows but all I see is the "Aux" jack on the stereo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that simply mean that your ipod will play through the stereo? I am assuming that you will have no control w/the stereo or "interface" with the ipod. Is that correct?

Does anyone use the aux and how well does it work?

Is there a way to get full integration and if so, is it worth the price?

Any extra integration with the Nav system? Ipod video, etc???

Thanks!!!!
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Nissan does offer an iPod feature, beyond the aux, jack on the radio. You should be able to find out more on the www.nissanusa.com web site, under "Accessories".
  • kosarfankosarfan Member Posts: 11
    Found this on the website:

{ Interface System for iPod®

Designed just for Nissan, this system connects via the Altima radio so you can listen to, control, and even charge your iPod, all while it's hidden in your glove compartment. (iPod not included.)

The stereo interface is compatible with any iPod equipped with a dock connector, Generation 3 and above. Be sure that your iPod is updated with the latest firmware
    SAFETY NOTE: ALWAYS give your full attention to driving. Avoid operating your iPod in such a way that you can be distracted during vehicle operation. }

Unfortunately it doesn't list a price.....anyone actually have this feature? If so is it worth it? Will it integrate with the Nav too - video?

Just looking for some input from those who may be in the know as the sales rep I spoke to at the dealer didn't have too much to say about it.

Thanks!
  • ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    We have the 2008 Altima 2.5 LS with the system you are talking about. You will have to purchase a cable which will interface your ipod with the "aux" jack on your radio. Once you have connected the unit, turn on the radio and press the "aux" button. If it does not work right away, you will have to play with the vulumn control on the ipod, not the radio. It took me awhile to figure this out. The ipod controls volumn and I found out you can really crank the system. Hope this helps.
  • ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    Sorry about the italics. My intent was to highlight the ipod.
  • lady_kiddlady_kidd Member Posts: 1
    i own an 07 altima 2.5 S. the system was aight untill like the end of december when the cold weather of chicago... the back speakers are still good n playing like before, but when i fade it back to the front, couples minutes into playing music above vol.20+
    it starts making funny noises, like the cd is skipping (although its not). it sounds like some wires are touching somewhere and it effects my front passenger and drivers side speakrs, and its been annoying me. i know i did not blow the speakers, bcuz i know how blown speakers sound... and if it would b blown, it would b permanent sound as i would turn on the music loud everytime. but the noises appear and disappear daily. i am scared (a little) to take it to the dealership, because i dnt want to pay any money for sum [non-permissible content removed] dat i didnt do... or will they fix it by warranty.? im confused someone plz help
  • azoldazold Member Posts: 3
    You shouldn't fear bringing it to a dealer. The car is an 07 - The audio system is completely covered under the warranty. check the warranty book that came with the papers in the glovebox. I agree with the idea that it might be a short in the wiring.
  • nissanaltima08nissanaltima08 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone else have this problem? When the stereo is up mid range it rattles the roof above the rear passenger seats making a vibrating noise. You can't even turn up the stereo at all without being annoyed by this sound. I took it to the dealer twice. Once they claimed they could not hear it. Then I called Bose and had them come out and look at it. They did a test and it was confirmed it was not the stereo. They "pushed" on the roof panel and it went away. Well guess what? Now it's back and it's my word against Nissan. They say if they can't hear it, they can't fix it. I know exactly where the noise is coming from, and it goes on and on. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? The car is only 6 months old.
    Coupe or Sedan?

I have the Bose stereo and do not have this issue.

How did you get Bose to come out and look at it?

As a last resort, any decent trim shop should be able to fix the loose roof panel, though you might have to pay out of pocket ....
    It's 2008 Altima Sedan.

It was not easy to get Bose to look at it. I contacted Bose over several emails. Then told Nissan I was in contact with Bose, and when I went to my appointment there was Bose rep there. He did the full sound check on it. Bose was very helpful, but Nissan acts like they want to help, but it's just a front.

The know exactly where the noise comes from, but unless it's "documentable" then they don't want to mess with it.
    The know exactly where the noise comes from, but unless it's "documentable" then they don't want to mess with it.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "documentable".

If the (1) Bose rep was there and heard the rattle, and (2) they know where the rattle is, and (3) they know how to service the roof liner, I don't understand why they won't take a stab at fixing it. This just doesn't appear to be that big of an issue.

Exactly what am I missing here?
    "Documentable" means it has to be happening all the time. When the Bose rep looked at it he pushed the ceiling panel back in place and it stopped making the sound. About a week later the sound came back. I called Nissan and told them I know where it was coming from, but it was not doing it all the time, only when there was certain types of bass in songs causing the roof to vibrate. They told me unless they could hear it when I brought it there, they would not be able to fix it. I did not want to take a 3rd half day off work just to have them tell me, we can't hear it or it's just how its, or it's the type of music I listen to. I need to know for sure they will fix it when I go next time. So now I am just trying to see if anyone has had this problem and how to get it fixed.
    I can't help but think that, assuming your previous posts are factual and true, your dealer is being a jerk. If they (the dealer's service personnel) were there and knew what the Bose rep did to resolve the issue, it seems it would be a relatively simple task to drop the headliner, get some foam to use as a filler and glue it in place to stop the headliner from dropping down and causing vibration.

Where/how far away is the next closest dealer? Have you tried them?

How far have you pushed this issue up the Nissan service structure?
    I just thought for warranty work I had to go where I bought it from. Maybe I will suggest what you said and see what they say. The problem is if they can't hear it, and I say I can then it's just a stand off. Also, good idea on going farther up Nissan's service structure. My big problem is after taking off work three times to have it looked at, I do not want to go there go again and leave without it being fixed again or have them say well we can't hear it sorry.
    Not true!

Warranty work can be done by ANY authorized Nissan dealer.

Give another one a try and see what happens...Good Luck!
  • btsaundebtsaunde Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 2008 Altima 2.5SL with the Connection Package and it has the Bose System and the built in XM. It DOES NOT have the Navigation system. Im interested in getting the iPod Interface Kit for it, But i was wondering if anyone has this or has used it in this car. My Mother has a 2006 Armada with the iPod kit, but it just overrides her XM, and if she wants to listen to the Sat, she has to unplug the ipod, and its a hassle to switch between the two. Does anyone know if the interface kits for the '08 Altimas are the same way? I would love to be able to plug in my ipod, and not have to mess with it and just be able to switch between XM and iPod without unplugging it everytime.
  • blackcripsamblackcripsam Member Posts: 1
    i actually own a 2.5 altima SL... its a year model 2007. Even without the bose system i happen to have the EXACT same problem as you. My dealership however wants to charge me an inspection fee.. which may i mention is 100 dollars an hour... a little bit of bull considering i paid 25k for the car just to get a defect. i know exactly where the problem is. When i apply pressure to a specific part of the ceiling of my car when the volume is at a mid range, the rattling sound disappears.. im not exactly sure what to do, but if anyone actually gets through with a dealer or knows of a simple solution, please let me know. oh and yes, similar to the other guy who posted, the sound will temporarily go away, as if its feeling better on certain days =/
    When i apply pressure to a specific part of the ceiling of my car when the volume is at a mid range, the rattling sound disappears.. im not exactly sure what to do, but if anyone actually gets through with a dealer or knows of a simple solution, please let me know.

Do you have a sunroof? I have an 08 and the rattle was due to the headliner not being properly secured. I have the shop manual, and was able to locate the securing points. Once I re-attached the liner at the appropriate points, no more rattle...
  • bonzybonzy Member Posts: 12
    I am having the same issue... where, may I ask, were the points? I am not able to find a shop manual..
  • habiemhabiem Member Posts: 22
    seems like most are complaining about the bose system, so just curious, is anyone out there happy with the audio system?
    I am not able to find a shop manual..

I put a link to an on-line Altima manual a couple of months ago on one of these Altima forums, but I don't remember which one. If you want to take a few minutes, you can search it out and find out the link to it.

Good luck...
    seems like most are complaining about the bose system, so just curious, is anyone out there happy with the audio system?

I have the Bose system with NAV, and I am very happy with it.
    Yet another plea for anyone with info on the iPod interface kit. None of the dealers around here know anything about it, other than they charge $380-$480 for it. I know I can plug in via than aux in, but the iPod interface is a separate thing. I'm curious if I can browse playlists via the car stereo controls, or if it only allows me to move through the current playlists. Basically, just curious what additional control it gives me - I don't mind the cost if there's really a benefit. Thanks.
  • lsquaredlsquared Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to 2nd habiem's request. Does anybody have any information on this?? My dealer didn't have a clue (though they seemed very sharp on all other aspects of the car), and said they've never actually installed one. They were estimating about $300, but couldn't even tell me exactly where it would mount, much less anything about the functionality. I'm sticking with the AUX input for now....
    I don't believe the iPod adapter is available on the NAV equipped Bose systems. From what I have seen, the iPod adapter works much like all the other adapters....in other words, the Bose system pretty much makes the iPod look like a multi-CD changer to you. As for the specifics on this particular unit, I can't say.

Have you gone to the Altima web-site and looked there? I'll check and see what info thay have on it...if any.

I'm not surprised that no one at the dealer knows anything about it...
    The following is straight from the Nissan web-site, accessories page...

Designed just for Nissan, this system connects via the Altima radio so you can listen to, control, and even charge your iPod, all while it's hidden in your glove compartment. (iPod not included.)

The stereo interface is compatible with any iPod equipped with a dock connector, Generation 3 and above. Be sure that your iPod is updated with the latest firmware

The hook-up shown in the picture shows a standard iPod docking cable, so I would say my earlier post is correct.

I hope this helps...
  • myearsliemyearslie Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2008 Altima with the Bose package with the same symptomatic rattle only mine is on the drivers-side door. It only happens in the mid range with certain songs/sounds and it goes away if I push my arm down hard on the arm rest.
    busiris- thanks for the reply, but I think that's the problem - the nissan site is vague and everyone that's posted about it just has a guess. I think we're looking for someone that has it installed and can provide a definitive answer. For example, can I control playlists from the Bose system - if so, how does it work? The nissan site indicates you can flip songs from the steering wheel, but says nothing about playlists, etc.
  • djaestheticdjaesthetic Member Posts: 5
    I'm bloody livid right now...

I take my car in to get the iPod interface to be installed. Almost 4 hours on Friday, they say they're having difficulty and ask me if I can bring it back on Monday when they have a Nissan Tech there to help. I return Monday morning.

After not hearing from them all day, I call Monday afternoon to ask when I can pick it up. The response I get?

"Apparently the iPod interface doesn't work with the Nav system model, only the regular radio." - which is contrary to what I was told when I purchased the car. Honestly, it was my final selling point to BUY the car. I wanted an iPod interface I could control via the nav system - otherwise I would have gone with my other car choice...

I have read in another forum that, quote "theyre in the process of developing an ipod interface for the alty's with the nav system.....i cant wait for that....according to another member on here he talked to the people at Nissan and they said sometime in July." though that really doesn't tell me much - nor does the guy at my Altima dealership know anything of this interface...

I am beyond irrate right now. I just spent over $30k on a car for a specific set of features I wanted, was told I could get, and now am being told are not available...

Anyone have any information re: a potential interface for the nav system coming out?
    Anyone have any information re: a potential interface for the nav system coming out?

Man, I feel your pain...been there, done that a couple of cars ago myself.

Your best bet is to try www.crutchfield.com and see if they have anything. If anyone will, it will be them, and they are extremely helpful. Get the phone # from the site and give a tech a call...

Good luck, and let me know what you find out...I have the same NAV system in my Altima.
  • carbar1carbar1 Member Posts: 3
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN !!!
    The only reason I went for the Nissan Altima and not the Jetta was they said they'll match the ipod interface.
    Now no one has a beastly idea on how to make it work with the nav system, some even tell you that you have to disconnect your cd changer and XM!!!
    The aux input sucks!.
    ANY NEW IDEAS? I AM RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE.
  • tarkovtarkov Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2009 Altima 2.5S (conv, conv plus, and connection packages) w/ ipod adaptor. The adaptor works really well in my opinion. From what I can tell, it would only work with the Bose system (non-nav), as it shares an output with the XM radio (meaning the XM will not function if an ipod is connected). You can control everything through the Bose system (even though it was a little difficult at first). My only complaint is that it restores the default of random off/repeat on when you restart the car. I like shuffling my playlists when I listen to them, so I have to make that change often. Other than that, it's a great accessory. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.
    That still wouldn't help those of us with the Nav system... :-\ I was *TOLD* by my Nissan dealer that it would pop up on the screen for navigation options...

..I was lied to...
    I'm glad for you but it doesn't work for me. I have the nav and XM 6 disc Bose system. As if it was my fault I want it all, I'm buying a Harmann Kardon system with it's own screen for the ipod which I'll mount on the wheel or dash for now. I checked with Nissan again last week and got their tired old answer ''we're sorry, it's not available yet'' I feel lied to as well. I would've gone for the VW.
  • bcallbcall Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just bought a 09 altima 2.5s with ipod kit, but i'm clueless about how to hook up...

Is there a cable in the car or am I to use a cable from apple? The radio has an external source plug, I assume that's where it would go? or is this all in the hidden compartment just in front of the gear shift, below radio?

I'd appreciate any help figuring it out...
    Step 1) Take it to Nissan dealership
    Step 2) Ask them to hook it up.

hahaha

Sorry. Stupid joke.

The cable that connects to your iPod should have come with it, and comes out through the glove box. The connector plugs in to the external source plug on the back of the radio (I believe).

As the rest of this thread implies, I hope you don't have the navigation system otherwise you're about to run in to some serious (impassable) trouble.
  • sgmsbrosgmsbro Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the voices of people saying they've been lied to as well.

I asked about it at the dealer and they said it was possible. I also researched it online and Nissan's own Web site talks about iPod compatibility. Nowhere does it say that this is not the case for NAV units.

I wish we could do a class action lawsuit or something. This is a major reason why I purchased the car, and had I known that the iPod integration wasn't possible, I would have purchased differently.

It's been over a year here...
    -"seems like most are complaining about the bose system, so just curious, is anyone out there happy with the audio system?"

-- "I have the Bose system with NAV, and I am very happy with it."

happy even with the hissing sound????
    I'm In where do I sign up?
    thanks for the detailed reply over a year ago :-) i did not know that this topic was still active. now it shows as one of the top picks on google! anyway, I went through 4 visits at the dealer, replaced amp, radio, still no fix. i knew it was a waste of time and money for Nissan, but I had to do it to prove my point that it;s the design. i am loyal customer of nissan, we have 4 ALTIMAS IN THE FAMILY!!! 1999, 2005x2, 2007. my next step is to write a formal complaint letter to nissan hq. with the information in your post, I will be able to draft something meaningful, i hope. i still love the car, but the radio issue and customer service has really put a huge dent in my relationship with this company. :-(
  • maxima_txmaxima_tx Member Posts: 4
    Just had to part with my 1996 Maxima after 412,000 miles and I'm considering a 2009 Altima. This question is for someone who has successfully gotten the Nissan iPod interface to work...

Does it come up immediately and let you browse by album, artist, title or playlist using the radio controls, and show the song information on the display?

I looked at a Ford Fusion first, because of the voice controlled Sync system, but when I plugged in my 80 GB iPod the Sync system indexed for over 10 minutes, then said it couldn't index everything (evidently I exceeded the capacity). But I also looked at Honda and was impressed how quickly the USB interface let me search using different criteria. If the Altima works that way I'll be happy. Unlike Ford and Honda, I can't find an Altima on the dealer's lot with the iPod USB feature already installed so they can demo it for me.
  • maxima_txmaxima_tx Member Posts: 4
    On faith I bought the iPod interface when I bought my Altima coupe. I had to wait a few days for the parts to arrive, but it is now installed and working (and now the dealership knows what an iPod interface is and how to install one.)

I have Bose without Nav, by the way.

The interface works ok, but it's a little difficult to figure out at first. The iPod has to be detached for the XM to work, but that's ok with me. Two things I don't like: (1) When you move from track to track you see the "channel" (track) number first instead of title information, because the radio "thinks" you're switching XM channels. But a second or two later the title (or artist, or whatever single piece of information you choose to display) appears. And (2) The iPod controls are disabled while it is connected. Some third party interfaces have a "hybrid" mode that lets you use the radio or iPod controls, whichever is faster for the search you're doing.

The USB interface in the low-end Hondas works better, and Ford's Sync works great (if you don't have too many songs), but this interface is ok and I really like my Altima coupe--especially now that I have a spoiler on it too!