Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• jlr4jlr4 Member Posts: 1
    We drove the Rav4 in a 5 speed and were extremely disappointed in the lack of power. Personally, after driving the 2001 CRV and the 2001 Rav4, I would choose the CRV hands down...more space and better pick up. However, I decided to wait and put a deposit down for a 2002 EX 5-speed.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    diploid (re #2249): When is the new Forester design due?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I think it's March or April of 2002.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    OT, but the Forester redesign will be in 2003. There is a rumored turbo engine coming in the current body style next year, however.

Ken
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Here's a thought. Honda has been relatively busy with the recent expansion of their "activity" lineup. A few months ago the Stream was introduced. Then a new version of the HR-V started getting press. The CR-V is due in a few months and the Honda version of the MDX is scheduled for Spring of '02.

While we won't see the HR-V and Stream, these are sold next to the CR-V in other markets. The Honda lineup isn't all that big. All these vehicles being introduced or redesigned at about the same time may be another reason for Honda keeping the lid down tight on rumors.
  • cooltruckscooltrucks Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone experienced driving a 146HP CR-V with
    the Jackson Racing Supercharger (increased to
    ~172.8 HP) to give real world, first hand
    impressions of the HP increase?

(www.jacksonracing.com)
    The DYNORUN on their Web site claims (5-spd):
    Max POWER = 172.8 HP (std CR-V is 126 HP)
    Max TORQUE = 147.5 ft-lbs

(the search function is not working at the moment
    so please forgive if this has been previously
    addressed)

TIA
  • gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    Varmit.....saw you commented a while ago that you spent $250 for sound deadening material for your CR-V. I'd like to know what you did and where you got the material.

I improved my '99 a lot by putting two layers of sound deadening under hood (like hoodliner) and on the sides and rear of engine compartment. Also added deadening material on inside of front doors. Plus, I added a deadening mat under front carpet.

I bet I spent about $200 doing this and it really helps (engine noise is minimal in city and about 70% reduced on highway). Got materials from Dynamat and JC Whitney. Whitney material was less expensive and worked fine. Would like to do more......can you enlighten me on what you are doing?
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Someone mentioned that the remote window controls are lighted on the EX. How about on the LX?
    Gkoff - I purchased Dynamamt Extreme from Crutchfield. I'm doing a little bit at a time, so I can't tell you how effective it's been. My first concern was with road noise, so I'm starting with the interior, not the engine bay.

I'd actually like to hear more about what you did. I've never installed this sort of thing and haven't gotten much advice. So far I've only done the driver's door (see below). I started with the interior door panel and put a few pieces on the bottom of the outer sheetmetal. This has only made a mild difference in sound. I think I'll have to go back and cover the entire outer panel.

I think I did a pretty lousy job, actually. I didn't have the right tools or the time to do it when I started. I was expecting a 2 hour job, but it ran to 4 hours and I ran out of daylight. Next time, I'll be better prepared. The sheets I cut for this door were small and shaped to fit each nook and cranny. Next time I'll use larger sheets (fewer seems) and mold them to the uneven surfaces. I found that it was much easier to manipulate than I expected and I wasted time trying to cut exact shapes. Live and learn...
    If you have any pics of your's, I'd love to see them. Thanks.
    Scottdude - The 96-98 models did not have lighted window switches. IMHO, this would be a much bigger problem than their location. The 99-01 models have glowing tips on the switches. Both LX ans EX models have the same switches.
  • davispcrvdavispcrv Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2001 CR-V (EX, automatic, Milano Red) in June and I am absolutely in love with the vehicle. As I was researching before making the purchase, I was impressed by how much CR-V owners seemed to love their cars. Thank you for your comments. You were all extremely helpful. Couple your postings with an attentive Honda salesperson and then contrast that with a creepy Ford dealer who insisted that I did not know what I was talking about when I asked about the Escape's recall record, the choice was easy.

What I like most: Gas mileage -- Living in South Carolina where using the air conditioning is a necessity, I figured that gas mileage in a SUV would be awful. The CR-V has been a very pleasant surprise. Summer city mileage is only a little less than my old '93 Saturn SL1 and it seems to be getting better. (Oh, if I had bought that V6 Escape, I would be at a gas station every three days.) Visibility -- Compared to my Saturn, I feel like I'm driving on stilts. My dogs love the vantage point. The tailgate -- I like it. Popping the glass hatch to drop in a few bags of groceries is much easier and much more convenient than opening a trunk or a heavy liftgate.

I have just one complaint: the Cruise Control -- I noticed on hondasuv.com that Honda admits that the CR-V cruise control has difficulty maintaining speed on hills. That's for sure. This area is not known for rugged terrain, but my CR-V's cruise revs the engine high (for me at least -- up to 5,000 rpm) going up a small rise on the interstate and speed drops back as much as 15 mph. It happens even when the A/C is turned off. I usually end up disengaging the cruise, because I am afraid of hurting the engine. Am I overreacting? Is this normal behavior for the CR-V cruise control or should I be concerned that there is a problem with the car?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    -- PRD
    PRD - Yep, that can be frustrating if you're not accustomed to it. There's nothing wrong with the car and, no, you are not hurting it. Honda is well know for high revving engines. The CR-V's engine is based on the 8,000+ rpms Integra if that gives you piece of mind.

In fact... kick it up a notch! I have a 5 speed and, once in a while, I'll rev it to redline just for fun. It's gawd awful loud, but it's surprizing how much power there is above 4,000 rpms.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I'll have to link your post to the Dynamat discussion topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Keep them coming :-) The Dynamatted doors probably have a better "clunk" noise when closed now, eh?

Have you considered opening up the A-pillar trim to see if there is insulation behind there? In many vehicles there isn't any, and it can be a source of wind noise. The front footwell/firewall areas are also where some people I know of have Dynamatted their cars.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • quakedrquakedr Member Posts: 2
    PRD -- If I remember correctly, the cruise control problem discussed in hondasuv.com is due to the lack of vaccum to actuate the throttle. I think the symptoms you described are more due to the lack of torque, since the auto-tranny downswifts and revs high to try to maintain the set speed. I've driven mostly 4-cyl. cars, and this is a common occurrence when driving uphill with the cruise control on. Even without the cruise control, an automatic will sometimes downshift when you try to depress the gas pedal to maintain speed going uphill (if you don't have enough torque).

My solution? When I see a hill coming up, I speed up and let the car lose some speed while going up the hill.

Cheers. --- quakedr
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i agree with posts before mine, but also don't forget that cr-v's auto tranny is equipped with what honda calls "grade logic" transmision. when it sences you going up a hill it automatically downshifts to prevent the tranny from "hunting" (switching from 4th to 3rd, back and forth) if you noticed even after you have passed the top of the hill, the tranny is still in the 3rd for a few moments. i know that the engine noise can be some what scary, but don't worry hondas are designed to be revved high. once you have passed the 1600 miles mark, try and open her up to the red line. you will see a completely different personality of your cr-v. i switched from a 5 spd, vtec civic, so my expectations are a little bit higher, i still wish my cr-v had 5 spd and VTEC.
    Thanks Drew. I've got a post over in "Vibration Dampers e.g. Dynamat", but no responses yet. I'll be doing some more work on it today.

I'll check the A pillars. Most of the wind noise comes off the mirrors, so I don't think that the A pillars are a big culprit. I'm not expecting a complete reduction in noise, I just want to take the edge off.

I did parts of the footwell as well as the door above, but I haven't finished the job. I needed tools that I didn't have. I'd like to apply it up the firewall on the inside. If that doesn't work, I'll try from the engine bay side of the wall.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    The cruise control problem with lack of vacuum that was discussed on the Hondasuv.com site is only valid for the 1997 model year. Honda changed the vacuum reservoir in 1998.
  • crvenvycrvenvy Member Posts: 7
    I have finally decided that the 2001 model is for me. I decided not to wait for the 2002 becuase I like the 2001 model too much. And if the 2002 model is nice, then I will be able to get one in three to four years(Seeing Honda will change the CRV every 4-5 years).

Now I went out to a dealership in Maryland(Hersons Honda in Rockeville) and they gave me a quote of $20,200 on a Silver 2001 EX automatic with no extras. They kept telling me this is it, CRV's are running out fast and the less the 2001 there are the less likely dealers will be giving a lower price. Does anyone know of any dealer incentives out there for the remaining 2001 and is a price of $20,200 decent. Also am I being unrealistic to be shooting for $19,400. I really dont want to pay more than $20,000 on a model that is being changed. Any comments, thanks in advance.
    I've seen dealer ads in my local newspaper for 2001 models of Honda Passports for as low as $20,000.00 Now I know the Passport isn't as unique to Honda as the CR-V (and probably not as easy to live with, either), but they are generally more expensive than CR-Vs, which leads me to believe that you can possibly get an EX CR-V for under $20,000. And I did see an ad for a 2001 CR-V that costs nineteen thousand and then some.

I'm almost tempted to tell you that the salesmen who's telling you to "take it or leave it" is lying, but I honestly don't think he is. The 2001 models are still selling well despite nearing its moribund days. But you should still try to talk the price down. So what if he doesn't budge, you'll still get an EX model for a relatively decent price.

I'm speaking from buying experience here, so if you try my advice and it doesn't work, my apologies, LOL. If you show him that you really want the car, and he's very eager to get it off the lot, he may just budge. Especially if you offer a large cash down payment. He may only go lower by $500, but that's still something. Although I wouldn't try this method with the Honda Odysseys or the Acura MDXs.
    (True Market Value) for the 2001 EX automatic is $20,431 (which include $440 destination charge, $19,991 without). Invoice is $20,132 (also including destination, $19,691 without).

They also show that the only current incentive for the CR-V is a low finance rate. 3.9% for 24-36 months, 4.9% for 39-48 months, 5.9% 51-60 months.

Since your $19,400 is below invoice you're unlikely to get that low.

The information came from here:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/honda/crv/ex4wd4drsuv20l4cyl4a/prices.html

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    August 27th, so if anyone can get a hold of an issue of Automotive News, check for the report on Asian makes, including Honda's future plans. Ours is not here yet.

This class has expanded, so a two-engine strategy has become common. Ford/Mazda, Hyundai, and Jeep all offer 4 bangers and V6s. Heck, Nissan has 3 engines! Too bad none have adequate power with their 4s, and the V6s guzzle gas.

I think Honda, Toyota, and especially Subaru have decent 4 bangers. Efficient and at least adequate. But is that enough any more? I don't know.

I'd like to see a Type R CR-V with 200 horses to compete with the big boys.

Toyota can get 180hp out of their 1.8l, so why not 200 from their RAV4?

Finally, Subaru will very likely offer a bigger or forced induction engine option when the new Forester arrives. When it was launched in MY1998, the Cherokee had best in class power at 180hp, so 165hp was pretty close, better when you factored in mpg.

But now 215hp is best-in-class. Seemingly everyone offers 200hp. Are powerhouses like Honda and Toyota just going to sit back and follow the leaders?

Meanwhile, Spy is best off stretching the budget to get into a Highlander.

-juice
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    you can get an ex with 5 spd for $19,400, but i doubt that you will get an auto for that price, unless you wait until the release of the new cr-v (october -- november) then the delaers will be willing to sell bellow invoice. the sad thing is that you can get a passport or better 4 runner for less than a cr-v or rav4. when i was at toyota negotiating rav4 the 4 runner was $500 cheaper with auto (pwr winds/locks, cruise, a/c, low gearing switch, v6, and bunch more)in sr5 trim than rav4 with quick order option package (not even l package) with 5 spd. i would have gotten a 4runner if it wasn't so cramped, it had just as much elbow and head room as my civic. the manufacturers are giving dealers heavy incentives on these big, by japanese standards, gas guzzling trucks. cr-v and rav4 are hot because they are economical alternative to passport and 4runner.
    Are you kidding? A 4Runner SR5 goes for $27k in the DC metro area. It used to be $30k, but they're still nowhere near a CR-V's price.

A Jeep Liberty, maybe.

The 4Runner and Rodeo/Passport are old designs, but incentives only do so much to the price.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It seems like these JD Power studies come out every month....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

It only covers 90 days of ownership, though. In some cases (VW, Chrysler Concorde) these short-term quality measures to not translate into long-term reliability.

At least it does for the CR-V.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I enjoyed this quote in the news this morning:

"A: ... Can't sing, can't dance and can't understand how anyone could comment on reliability after a week behind the wheel."

Chicago Tribune Car Question and Answer Column

I've been in my minivan for almost three years/55k, and I'm still withholding judgment on its reliability (so far so good, touch wood).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    I haven't considered the Highlander too seriously. I've seen a few on the road, and frankly they seem a little bland-looking - there's nothing distinctive about them at all. I guess to be thorough I ought to check it out.

This is haping up to be a difficult buying season for me. I wish Honda would make it easier for me!

BTW, I was behind what must have been the newest-model Forester yesterday, and I have to say from behind it looked pretty sharp. Did they make some cosmetic changes on it recently? It is still too small and low for me to consider it seriously, but it seems a little nicer looking now than it did a few years ago.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Spy,

The Forester got a face lift for MY01. Basically, it's still the same vehicle with some cosmetic changes. Subaru also added a "Premium" trim that adds the world's biggest sunroof and a monotone color scheme.

Ken
    Yes, actually. Good eye.

For 2001 it got much bigger taillights that overlap onto the rear hatch. They're also red and clear, while the older ones had yellow lenses. The track is a tad wider, and the front end got similar cosmetic changes.

Forester has been getting incremental improvements all along. The Phase II engine brought torque up to 166 ft-lbs. A rear limited slip diffy is offered on the S models.

Um - they even added a dual cup holder! :-)

-juice
    Juice - My guess is Honda and Toyota are going to sit back and let the Highlander and Passport replacement take on the 200hp competition.
    Drew - That reminds me of a few old posts seen in the Kia forum. I read some raves about reliability with 7,000 miles on the OD. My CR-V has about 47K on it and I'll consider it broken in soon.
    I think the J.D. survey is valid- up to a point. Two weeks behind the wheel of a car is not enough to measure its reliability or quality, that's why the survey measures *initial* quality.
    I had just found that same link, but you beat me to it!

Indeed, they say 2.4l and shared with the Accord, which means iVTEC and 160hp.

They say the Forester will get a turbo for MY2004. I bet they slap the turbo on the 2.5l instead of giving us the overseas 2.0l turbo, because US customers want to haul in both ways ([non-permissible content removed] and cargo).

I'm still looking for the print version, which may have new pix.

-juice
    Yep. Numbers and ranking are of no use unless you know what they stand for. Too many people see those JD Power studies and assume that quality means the same thing as reliability. Then they miss the whole "initial" prefix.

There are a number of places claiming a 2.4L engine (among other things) for the '02 model. I'll believe it when I see it, but most folks feel that rumors about a 2.4 are better than rumors about a 2.0.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/new/crv/crv02spec.htm
    Here is the lineup they should offer:

CR-V Type R: 200hp engine from RSX-S, 6 speed manual, 16" alloys, fatter anti-sway bars
    CR-V Type S: same with full leather and a huge moonroof, extra sound proofing

And, for kicks:

CR-V Type O: for off road, gets a low range and big fat tires like that picture we saw
    CR-V Type E: for economy, gets an Insight-like powertrain with 2.0l gas motor and IMA

A CR-V for eveyone.

-juice
    The Type E is a possibility. Honda is supposed to be introducing a hybrid powered Civic later this year. If it sells, they'll add a hybrid CR-V to the line-up. Well, that's what they're telling the press anyway...

If it happens, I suspect it'll be the 1.7 with a more powerful IMA pack. One of the good things is the fact that the CR-V has room for that big honkin' battery.
    Get the Type-R RSX's 220hp engine, instead of the RSX-S. That would make a great CR-V. Although I don't know how they would bump up torque and still remain a 2.0 liter engine.
    One catch - Honda may not need the CAFE credits for its trucks. Depends on how many Honda MDXs they sell, I guess. CAFE credits can be carried 3 years forward, and Honda is selling more and more trucks.

BTW, AN says the Honda version of the MDX will get a longer wheelbase and distinctive styling. That kind of roominess could make it a best-seller.

Also, they say the Lincoln, Alabama plant is scheduled for an additional 120k/year capacity as of Q4 of 2001, which means a better supply of Odysseys and MDXs, plus the Honda for MY2003.

-juice
  • crokkitcrokkit Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 CR-V EX A4 with the roof rack, retractable tonneau cover, passenger armrest, pinstriping and mudguards for $20,427. I figure I paid no more than $50-75 over invoice. But it's hard to determine without knowing Honda's invoice prices on accessories. Any thoughts out there on whether I'm in the ballpark on my estimate?

Also, I want to place a custom license plate on the front (IU-Go Hoosiers). Where the license plate would affix to the bumper there appears what looks like a cap that can be pried off (and behind maybe something to screw into???). But I'm not sure it should be pried off and it says nothing about it in the vehicle manual. Any thoughts??

Other than that...it's black, just got the windows tinted and I am really starting to dig it. I'm not much for the noise at highway speeds though. Any thoughts (pro/con) on underbody coating to help reduce road noise?? Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like you're an Indiana resident. I had a similar problem when I moved from Indy to Western New York. NY requires a front license plate and the Indiana dealer didn't give me the front license plate bracket.

The two "caps" with small holes do not pry off. They're molded into the bumper, not removable parts. There's a flat plastic plate, metal "V" support bracket, and 5 bolts that make up the official front license plate frame.

If you go to Majestic Honda you can see an image of the parts. Click on the on line parts link, then choose the model, year, and transmission you have (the coding is to the left), then for "System/Component" choose "Bumper" from the list.

It gets a little expensive to buy all the pieces. I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to give you what you need. Or run down to Auto Zone (or your favorite auto parts place) and buy a plastic license plate bracket, one with a mounting plate back, and a couple of self tapping screws to fit the 2 holes in the bumper.

JM2C

• scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    I think Honda is giving stuff away relating to New CRV promotion, you can win a prize if you register. And new scoop via Email.

http://www.honda.co.jp/NEWCR-V/toroku/info.html

The teaser site has a screen saver you can download, a waste of time though. The most you can see is a line diagram of the left side. Maybe you can measure the tire size and figure out the overall dimensions.

But will it be in Japanese, as well?
    I doubt they'll ship the prize to the US. :-(

-juice
  • chouettegychouettegy Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if it has been posted here, but I just went to the US Honda site and found some info on the CR-V. The release date is Nov. 12 for the 2002 model. Prototypes can be viewed from here also and Honda will send an e-mail with more info in September.

Here's a link to the Honda site:

http://www.honda2001.com/cr-v/index.html

Will be unveiled to the media in Canada on September 1st. I'll let you guys know more info as I get it. The taillamps extend down to the bumper, but the bumper/cladding (which is grey), is pretty darn high, like the RAV4's. The taillamp extends down only perhaps 5-6 inches below the rear hatch handle.

Drew
    Host
    Ugh, I don't like the gray body cladding.

Ok, so they show us prototype sketches instead of the real deal...what is Honda trying to do?

The website says they don't want to ruin "the surprise"...
    Keeping the suspense? Those spy pictures that were linked here seem to be pretty realistic. Hopefully we'll have a few links to share very soon and then we can have even more activity in this discussion topic!

In the mean time, stay tuned as always ;-)

Drew
    Host
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    i have a link to a canadian site which will be posting pictures on Sept.1...

http://www.canadianautoreview.com/

....they have the same pic as car & driver + a snippet of the tailgate now....more to come on Sep.1. i agree the black plastic cladding is butt-ugly......kind of like volvo's cross-country.....also mimics the escape at the front with the cladding going partly up the grill but the escape's is a more pleasing light-grey. maybe it will be body-colour on some models but probably only the top-of-the-line. tailgate/spare, like i've said before is a major disappointment. the interior view on honda's site shows what looks like a column shifter..surprising

since the new civic 3/5dr hatches, stream etc. all have dash-mounted shifters. two other notes:

one would think the japanese unveiling would be before the canadian one on Sept.1 and the screen-saver on the japanese site shows an outline of the cr-v with no spare....go figure.

michael

Gray cladding has huge advantages. The stuff on my Forester does not scratch, ding, or chip. It's like teflon - hard to get dirty and easy to clean. For a supposedly tough and rugged vehicle, it's well suited.

Those with painted bumpers can tip-toe all they want, I'll take the rugged grey stuff. You can get on your hands and knees to clean the bugs and tar off your bumpers. Me? No thanks!

The sketch of the blue one looks more like an Isuzu Vehicross. I swear they exxagerate their sketches so much! Remember the TL and Odyssey sketches were similarly aggressive?

The red one looks far more realistic. Looks like the built-in rails will make production. The rear door still opens curb side - something Team CR-V has promised to fix way back when.

Inside, if those buckets make it to production, they would likely offer far better side support for sporting drives. They seem more fitted, less flat. Notice the solid head rests, and the column shifter, too.

-juice