Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Heating Ventilation and A/C

2»

Comments

• bigsnotbigsnot Member Posts: 1
    I have a crack in upper right hand corner of radiator.not in seam,no stone or other marks.what could cause this?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My first guess would be either defective material or quality control on the assembly line.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • saharastevesaharasteve Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2005 Liberty Renegade. The A/C compressor kicks in and out even when I have the controls on vent only. I have never had a vehicle to do this. Is this normal to the Liberty? If not, what would be the cause? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • ppradierppradier Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My Liberty CRD 2005 ventilation fans doesn't work anymore when set on position 1, 2 or 3 but work normally when on position 4, I check all fuses and they all are ok, any idea where to look next?

Thank you!
  • drumskidrumski Member Posts: 1
    My compressor would come on and blow cold air but would cycle off like it was low on freon, the clutch would disengage. If I tapped on the compressor the clutch would engage and start working again. It started to happen more often, mechanic said I need a new compressor.
    THE FIX: Behind the clutch is a washer, removed it and replaced the clutch. Never had any problems since, I did it over a year ago.
  • vicvillevicville Member Posts: 19
    Does the 2008 have a in cabin air filter to replace. I thought i remember reading it in the jeep book, but no one sells the replacment.. or is it a dealer only service..
  • nikki1977nikki1977 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 jeep liberty i found a lot of water under rug i mean a puddle on passenger side . has anyone figured out what the water is coming from ? :confuse:
  • bblawmanbblawman Member Posts: 2
    HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IT WAS CAUSED BY LOW ANTI FREEZE WHEN I TOPED IT OFF IT WORKED FINE HOWERER EVERY FEW WEEKS IT WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN COULD NOT FIND WHERE I WAS LOOSING FLUID!1 WAS HOT HEAD GASKET , NO WATER IN OIL & PLUGS LOOKED FINE. PUT CARBORD BOX UNDER CAR AT NIGHT NEX MORING NO FLUID ON BOX IT TURNED OUT TO BE A SMALL HAIR LINE CRACK ( ABOUT 3/4 INCH LONG) IN RADIATOR AT TOP RIGHT CORNER ONLY WOULD GIVE OFF STEAM WHEN CAR WAS RUNNING AND A SMALL AMOUNT AT THAT IT WAS JUST BY CHANCE I FOUND IT WHEN I PUMPED AIR IN COLD RADIATOR ( WITH CAP PUMP A TOOL TO FIND COOLING LEAKS) IT DID NOT HISS OR LEAK
  • bblawmanbblawman Member Posts: 2
    HAVE A 2002 JEEP LIBERTY AC WORKS FINE AS WELL AS HEAT ALL FOUR BLOWER POS. WORK HOWEVER THE AC COLDEST SELECTION , THE ONE THAT RECIRCULATES AIR FROM INSIDE CAR ( FRIST POS, ON SELECTOR) AIR BLOWS OUT SLOW ALMOST LIKE SOMTHING IS BLOCKING IT ALL OTHER SELECTIONS THAT TAKE OUTSTDE AIR WORK FINE! ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE? JEEP TELLS ME THIS YEAR DOES NOT HAVE A FILTER
  • oldies526oldies526 Member Posts: 1
    Replaced AC compressor last fall and system worked fine then. No cold air now when I need it last week. AC compressor clutch does not engage. Ran jumper wire on low pressure switch and clutch still won't engage. Applied separate 12 volt source to AC clutch at pigtail on top of compressor and the clutch engaged ! Anyone have any ideas why system not supplying power to the compressor clutch on its own ? Thanks
  • steph1258steph1258 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Jeep Liberty Air is not cool. Have noticed a funky smell at times when I first turn it on. What is the problem. My husband says it could be a fuse??
  • daddibob47daddibob47 Member Posts: 2
    The filter housing is behind the glove box. You may have to get a kit to install the filter if it came without one in it.
  • jeep2007jeep2007 Member Posts: 1
    My AC compressor was changed Aug 2010. Year later it does not cool as well as it did a year ago. It will cool done to 50 degrees if the Outside Temperature is 83 degrees. However it takes 30 minutes to get to that point to cool between 50 - 60 degrees dependent on the the outside temperature from 80 to 99 degrees. It supposed to cool down faster - when I put it on setting # 2 , but forget it when it is on # 3 or # 4 Fan setting. Cooling dial with recirculate from outside air.
  • jong818jong818 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

This seems odd, but how about considering the Fan clutch ? Parts is not that expensive, if this is the case.

Jong (2002 Jeep Liberty, V6, 3.7L)
    L.A., Calif.
  • daddibob47daddibob47 Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find a kit to install one? Apparently mine came without one. I just replaced the evaporator and heater core so I (the techs at Jeep) got a good lokk and there isn't a filter in it. Thanks
  • jeepster2005jeepster2005 Member Posts: 1
    The A/C on my 2005 Jeep Liberty with 43K miles has been weak for as long as I have owned the car (about 18 Months . . . bought it used with 33K on it). Tuesday I was driving back to Florida from Virginia when the compressor quit. I took a look under the hood and there was a bit of tar-like spray around the compressor . . . it actually had a mechanical failure and a strange smoke-like smell. Took the jeep to the dealer this morning and the compressor was broken . . . it actually broke apart! So now a new compressor on top of a new heat ex changer (6 moths ago) and the A/C system is becoming VERY expensive.

So now the dealer has the new parts installed and the system charged and he can't get COLD air out either . . . any ideas out there?

Question 1: Am I expecting too much from my Jeep Liberty A/C system? Do they typically get COLD rather than barely cool? My 97 Cherokee got down right chilly . . .my Audi use to make ice and I loved it.

Question 2: Could an overly tight serpentine belt lead to compressor damage during long distance driving at highway speeds?
  • taytytayty Member Posts: 1
    My Liberty"s AC will blow for about 20 minutes and then will stop blowing out of the vents, but you can hear it blowing somewhere. Then, when I turn it off and just put it on air, it still blows AC. This also happens with my heater. There is a funny sound which sounds like it coming out of the glovebox, like a steady swoosh, swoosh , swoosh sound while they are blowing. When I look under the hood after it starts doing this, anything accosiated with the AC/Heater is completely froze up. Does anyone know what is going on?
  • dennisdd1dennisdd1 Member Posts: 1
    You need a new blower resistor that always blows out on all Chrysler vehicles. I have had this problem on intrepid, concorde, stratus,Ram van, and others. It is usually easy to do but hard to get at. the dealer can tell you the location.
  • algo100algo100 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get to fix this issue?
    I heard multiple things so far and not the solution..... i did even heard the knub has to be replaced...... the resistor part sounds more like it is the issue, but before I'll go to the dealer to try to buy this resistor i will like to make sure...
    hope to heard from you soon,

please if you dont mind replay to me directly to [email protected] i do really need to fix this asap, wonter is coming soon and as you said before number 3 or 4 are very loud.

thanks
  • baileyboy1baileyboy1 Member Posts: 2
    # 73 heater problem...i have the identicle problem..what did u do to fix it
  • baileyboy1baileyboy1 Member Posts: 2
    di u get this resolved...i have same problem...need help
  • my02jeepmy02jeep Member Posts: 1
    I replaced a radiator and then a thermostat, my heater will work at first and then blows 20 degrees cooloer on the driver side and then blows only cold air, what do I do next???
  • dcmasondcmason Member Posts: 2
    Subject: A/C on 2004 Jeep Liberty LE/4WD/221,500 miles

Last year my A/C went 'out.' I use that word loosely as it still 'works' intermittently. I took it in and they replaced the fan clutch but that didn't do the trick. Took it back several times for various adjustments but nothing dramatic - still doesn't work properly. Last visit - told compressor needs to be replaced. Got refund for all work done. Took it to another repair shop - ran A/C in shop for an hour - temps outside about 60 degrees, low humidity; worked fine - mechanic said windows started to frost over. Picked up Jeep - rode around for an hour - A/C worked fine - environment same outside.

Here is the scenario of latest trip made AFTER latest shop visit above. Outside temp - 74 degrees and rising, increasing humidity. Opened windows to let inside air circulate; turned A/C on - worked for approximately 45 minutes. Can tell when it cuts out - humidity smell in car and then of course air turns cool, then luke warm, then just hot. Blowers work fine. Nearing destination - turned A/C back on after being off for about three hours - worked for 20 minutes. Return trip - left at 0930 - temp in low 70's, low humidity - cold air blows fine - worked for one hour then off. Turned on three hours later - worked for 35 minutes - then off. And thus is my A/C life. Suggestions anyone? I do have one question - if the compressor is bad, wouldn't the A/C not work at all - anytime?
  • 808_state808_state Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 liberty renegade my problem is ac only works on highest setting and only when driving, when i stop my ac stops working. I changed resistor and blower relay but I still have the same problem. I checked fan and it comes on and i can hear a clicking sound when I turn on ac.
    Don't know what else to do in need of help :cry: :sick: :mad:
  • habshockeygrlhabshockeygrl Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you have found the solution. I have been battling this exact problem for a year, I had to drive from TX to AL in Aug with hot air! I have replaced everything, hoses, clutch,switch, fan and compressor but still nothing. Like you said, in the morning or if it's cool a/c is fine but as soon as it hits the 70'S it's gone. Luckily the warranty covered most of it but it has been to 2 dealerships and a private mechanic. I'm getting very frustrated and very sweaty. My warranty will run out this winter and I want it fixed before it does so I'm not out $$$.
  • dcmasondcmason Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately I never really solved it like I wanted to but when the temps consistently hit 100 degrees I relented. I ended up replacing the compressor and that did the trick. It still bothers me that I replaced something that actually worked. I know it worked because it would intermittently; except as described previously. I can't get over the fact it worked sometimes but not other times - it being the compressor. It either works or it doesn't in my book. All-in-all though I can't complain too much. I'm less than a thousand miles away from 230,000 miles on my 04 Liberty and this a/c issue plus a rear bearing are really the only two major things that have gone wrong (on third set of tires ... last two sets have been Michelin Cross Terrains). Good luck with the air - don't let the warranty run out on you (elevate up through Chrysler if you have to - before warranty runs out).
  • jong818jong818 Member Posts: 3
    Though I had this problem for months of '11, tried adding new freon but didn't work. Then my neighborhood mechanic noticed that my fan wasn't spinning 'strongly' during a routine oil change. He told me that my 'fan clutch' needs to be replaced and i went on with it, and suggested if i could have the belt replaced too. After the engine oil, fan clutch and belt, i went for a test ride, 150 miles to palm spring, ca and back - L.A. Then after 50 miles into the freeway, my wife tried the a/c and it was working crazy ! Though i never mentioned the A/C problem to the mechanic beforehand, things just worked as in EUREKA ! "This mean 3.7L machine" least to say say gave me the shivers ! :surprise:

255,000 m, 5w/30 synthetic, HOAT coolant, rear diff oil every 12,000 m, transmission synthetic oil every 13,000 m. Dunlop tires.

Question : what brand of spark plugs would you recommend ?

:D
  • mp03mp03 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the radiator changed out because i was not getting hot air when i turned on the heart ( only when driving over 30 mph) and it heated for a few weeks but not the air is warm and hot hot like it was when i first had the radiator changed. Can anyone help me with his?
  • icara6icara6 Member Posts: 1
    The ac in my Jeep Liberty 05 was not blowing cold nor cool air. The fan worked on all levels (1,2,3, and 4), as well as when he ac button was engaged. My mechanic explained the ac fan which blows the cold air from the ac needed replacing. He also explained this was a separate fan from the one that blows internally in the car. Does the jeeb liberty have two fans or did I understand incorrectly?