Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Warning Lights and Gauges

joshfjoshf Member Posts: 1
Hello-
I have a 2003 4Runner with about 50k miles. All at one time, the check engine, VSC Trac and Trac Off lights all came on at one time. the car seems to drive fine. Do I need to get it serviced? Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• trtopflyertrtopflyer Member Posts: 1
    We have the same exact problem with our 2002 with 52K miles. It happened to us on a road trip to the mountains from the beach last week. The problem seems to re-set itself after a while but then yesterday it came back on again. I think it is problem a sensor but would like to know which one and where it is located on the 4Runner.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I had the same thing on my 2004 4Runner at just 2800 miles. I took it back to the dealer under warranty. Looking at my invoice, regarding the check engine light, the tech notes say:

OL2 sensor heater control circuit low.
    Wiring harness to 02 sensor shorted to body.
    Repair wiring harness.

Regarding the VSC and Trac Light:

Decel Sensor undone.
    Recalibrated decel sensor.

I hope this helps.
  • rud1rud1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem w/ my 03 after disconnecting the neg. wire to the battery to clean up. Both lights turned off after driving around for one day. However, the automatic roll down for the rear window doesn't seem to work anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks.

RUD1
  • pongo93pongo93 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had my 1999 4runner serviced (oil change, etc.). Now the gas gauge is all over the place. I get in to go somewhere the gauge indicates down a 1/4 tank, I get to the end of the block -- now its indicates down 1/2 tank, get to my destination -- now its back up to a 1/4 tank. what is causing this and what needs to be done to remedy the situation?

All help is greatly appreciated.
  • johng10johng10 Member Posts: 1
    2002 4 Runner V6 Temperature guage is in the red
    Coolant and resavoir is at the proper level, belts and fan are working properly. Upper radiator hose is hot but not extremely. Lower hose is cold which indicates the thermostat has not opened. I can not locate temperature sending unit. Looking for a diagram and any information you can give, Thanks
  • tmlkcltmlkcl Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 99 4Runner and my son with his 99 Tacoma. We both use odometer miles to indicate fuel level, kind of a pain. I've done quick searches to try to find information on a fix but no luck, may try to dig through Toyota corporate as well??
  • tmlkcltmlkcl Member Posts: 2
    TSB EL01099 notes the problem, and there are tons of complaints filed. Not sure how this allworks but probably since not a 'safety' problem, we are on our own. Anybody know how these type things are handles? Where there is a documented problem with tons of complaints but not a clear safety problem?
  • brymo23brymo23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 with 20k on it. I had the check engine light VSC and traction control lights come on. The dealership tells me that computer code read when hooked up to the computer it says that the O2 sensor in the catalytic converter is bad. Toyota will not replace just the sensor. So they replaced the catalytic converter. That was a week ago. The lights came back on this week and a new cat was installed today. Hopefully this time it works cause I'm tired of going to the dealership.
  • dkrazydingodkrazydingo Member Posts: 5
    I've had the same problem with a previous car that I had. I found out that the gas censor (in the tank) was loose. I had to access the gas tank, remove the censor and make adjustments. Now, I'm not sure how the censors are on the 4Runner, but you might want to either buy a new censor and drop the gas tank and install it yourself or have someone else do it.

Just a thought!
  • farchilafarchila Member Posts: 1
    Joshf,

I'm having the same issue, I will appreciate if you can tell me what happend to your vehicule.

Thank you :sick: :confuse:
  • sosbornesosborne Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm having a problem similar to yours. Did this fix your problem. I don't want to have to get a catalytic converter if i don't have to . sheila
  • sosbornesosborne Member Posts: 2
    By replacing the converter did it work?? I'm afraid we'll replace it and it won't solve the problem. sheila
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Hi everyone. Numerous folks including myself have had the VSC issue, but not all of us had the same fix. It's best to let your dealer diagnose and repair IMO. It could get very expensive swapping parts unnecessarily.
  • ojarquinojarquin Member Posts: 2
    hello, I cant believe so many people have this problem. ( Me too) while driving all came on. I have jet to find what code it has. on 04/06 I had the same thing. took to dealer and they said it was the throtle body assy. car was still under warr. total was around 1,ooo &change. code went away but now it cameback. warr for work was for 1year (my lost)
    My miles now is around 75,ooo
    any thoughts?
  • vart69vart69 Member Posts: 1
    Well, at least I'm not the only one having this issue. Lights disappear when the brake pedal is depressed. By the way mine is an '03 with 80k
  • altonvwillaltonvwill Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 toyota 4-runner, and last week the brake light on the dash came on and won't go off. anyone have any answers to this problem?
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Check the brake fluid level. There is a float in the reservior that if your fluid gets low, the light will come on.
    Also make sure the parking brake lever/pedal is released completely.
  • rommailrommail Member Posts: 1
    My Toyota 4runner 1999 check engine light (CEL) came on five years ago. I paid the dealer $1122.00 to fix it after a few weeks it came back on for a few minutes and disappeared. The dealer told me to bring the car back when the light is on… it came on after a year and the dealer wanted to charge me another $1000. They wanted me to believe if I don’t fix it the car would break apart. I refused and took my car with me.
    I have driven the car like that for 4 years and the car always runs good. Several mechanics told me not to bother with trashing money at the dealers. The only problems were that red light on the dash, it can be distracting at night and I had to pay about twice the cost of inspection every year. After I spent a hundred dollars for inspection last year I decided to do something about it. I started to research online and within several forums, several contributors said they work or used to work for Toyota dealers and that most of the time the problem is caused by the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF), and it is easy to clean it to fix the problem. Some forums even document step by step, with pictures how to clean the MAF.
    To make sure the MAF is causing the problem you need to get you car scanned and get the error code. If you get P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1), then it is definitely the MAF. Most Auto Zone will scan your car for free. But I decided to buy the device instead from amazon.com: (Actron CP9145 AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability for OBDII (Post-1996) Vehicles) . The device is easy to use. I got the code, I followed the instruction on how to clean the MAF found here: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/maintenancep5.html , and I have not seen the CEL again since that time. I hope this help.
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    The mileage display in my 2006 4Runner seems to be getting more inaccurate. Driving a combination of city and highway it starts of at as much as 25 mpg and continues to go down to about 21 mpg by the time I have used 3/4 tank of gas. Then when I fill it up the calculated mileage is about 2.5 mpg less (18.5 mpg). Is there any way to correct this display and make it more accurate?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    2003 4Runner here. There is nothing that can be corrected. You'll eventually get used to rarely looking at it. Mine is off by about 2 MPG, although it was almost exact when new. I average 15.3 in mostly city driving, so be really happy with your MPG.
  • da4runnerda4runner Member Posts: 3
    Hey, all. I got a 94 4Runner 3.0 V6. This morning on my way to work, while I was driving, my e-brake light came on for a second, then turned off, then came on for another second, then went off again. This was while I was in motion and not applying the brakes. The brakes worked fine the whole way to work, and I did not notice any drivability issues. This did happen right after I was adjusting the air conditioner, but that may be cooncidence. What do you guys think?
    Looks like I may have been just a little low in the brake fluid. It was between the two lines, but closer to the MIN than the MAX. Hopefully, that takes care of it.
  • bacon80122bacon80122 Member Posts: 4
    1999 4runner gas gauge always stays on full even when ign. is turned off. I could use your great input on troubleshooting to lessen the brain damage I sustain when I think on my own!! Bryan.
    Hey, all, first off, the brake warning light thing was cured with a little fluid.

Now, there's another strange thing going on with my 94 4Runner 3.0 V6. Now sometimes when I make a right turn, especially when I do so at a green light (not stopped), my 4WD light will flicker real fast and make a "clicking" noise. No drivability issues have sprung up, it's just the light and noise. The flickering noise stops when I finish the turn, and doesn't happen every single time, but about maybe half the time. What do you guys think?
  • amyfrenzamyfrenz Member Posts: 1
    What causes the fuel gauge light to flicker on the dash. This is constant.
    Amy
  • fieldswsfieldsws Member Posts: 1
    Hello-
    I have an 01 4runner V6 w/ 261K miles. These lights came on in Cape Hat as soon as I got off the Ferry. After about 1K miles they turned off again....7 months ago I had the left side of the engine rebuilt due to head gaket I think for $2700 and the lights remained on...Mechanic said they will turn off after I replace the o2 censor so I did'nt worry about it then. Now I've attemped to get the emmissions inspection 5 times. The first time it flunked was due to 1. Misfire on cyliner 1 and 6. 2. Faulty o2 censor. 3. Collant censor or something like that...This cost $500 to repair and I was told to drive the car 50 miles before I had it retested so after 50 miles it still flunked due to the "Readiness". I was told by Jiffy Lube to drive it another 50 miles and bring it back but would have to charge me $25 again, I said I would drive it 100 miles to make sure but they insisted on only 50, so after 50 they took my $25 and rejected me again for "Readiness". After about 150 mile the lights came back on again...This time it was rejected due to "Random Misfires" and the Check engine light. It appears the misfires occurred while the car was sitting still and rpms were at 0 ( Zero) The mechanic couldnt figure out anything as his diagnostic showed zero misfires while idling, while driving and while reving the engine with the brake depressed....I unhooked the positive cable to the battery at my friends request and the lights went off....Yesterdays inspection failed due to "Readiness" in 2 areas, "Cat Converter" and I think the fuel system or something...Any suggestions would be appreciated! The truck runs great but I cant get a tag for it... fieldsws
  • crowlandcrowland Member Posts: 1
    My 99 4runner ltd's gas gauge operates properly until it gets down to 1/4 then stops moving. I have run out of gas several times. I had the gauge replaced by the dealer and it still does the same. Then we replace the sending unit. Still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • jerome2900jerome2900 Member Posts: 1
    My brake warning lights came on so I took my 92 Forunner to a mechanic , he bleed the brakes etc. but my lights are still on, what could be the problem ? there is no squeaking noise and brakes feel fine.
  • ladyred2ladyred2 Member Posts: 1
    Maint. light is on and I am unable to reset. In the manual it states to turn the ignition key to the "ACC or LOCK position with the odometer reading showing, but the odometer does not come on in either of these positions. Only in the "ON" position. When I turn the igition key to "ON" while holding down the trip meter, it still remains on. Doesn't go off. What am I doing wrong?
  • plrivasplrivas Member Posts: 1
    My 06 4Runner has started kind of hiccupping or stuttering when it's running on the highway and in the city and now the Main Light is on. I originally thought it was bad gas and put some STP in the gas tank but I still have the same problem, it was also suggested that one of the plugs are bad. A friend suggested that I go to Auto Zone and get them to read the code and find out what the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem with their 4Runner.
  • sharp074runnersharp074runner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 4Runner with 37,000 miles on it. I just purchased it 2 weeks ago and it didn't come with a owners manual. I just noticed a yellow light with a exclamation point that came on on the RPM Guage cluster and it won't go off. Since I don't have a manual I can't tell what that guage means. Does anybody know?
  • 02runner02runner Member Posts: 1
    I think I have the exact same thing happen to me. 2002 4-Runner, cold start, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, and check engine lights all came on. Pulled the code and it was P1135 (O2 sensor heater). I was trying to think how these were related, but short circuit makes sense.
  • itsnicitsnic Member Posts: 4
    Does the "MAINT" light start to flash as a warining at a certain mileage amount prior to the mileage setting for the next scheduled maintenance? What is that certain mileage amount.
  • jcanojcano Member Posts: 2
    After driving about 10 miles when I come to the first light/stop my truck engine seems to start to vibrate/stall but doesn't shut down, I put it in neutral and give it some gas to raise the rpms so it won't die at the stop. The check engine light does not come on. Could it be a clogged fuel filter or anything related to the spark plugs/ignition coil? Any advice will be appreciated! V/r, Jerry
  • 95runner95runner Member Posts: 9
    this light would be for the tire pressure monitoring system. this light is the biggest pain in the world. i have an 06 tacoma and was ready to rip it out. just make sure that whoever does tires on the vehicle to put them at 35 and the spare at 40 since it does not get used much. this will help illuminate that problem
  • jcanojcano Member Posts: 2
    I troubleshot the problem; 1st I connected the hand held diagbostic devise at an auto hobby shop, code 306 came out-which meat cylinder #6 was misfireing.
    I started by removing the plugs and discovered that spark plug wire #6 was broke, so I replaced the wires on the right side of the engine, which connect directly to the coil packs on the left side of the engine. I've never seen a system like that but it was pretty simple to do. And while I was at it I had bought and replaced the fuel filter just in case. Vr. Jerry
  • 2000_4runner2000_4runner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 4Runner SR5 with just over 200k - BEST Vehicle I've ever owned.

Last evening I got in and started it up ... and my gauges were dead. All the dash lights work just fine but the SPEEDO, TACH, FUEL, and ODO are all dead. By 'dead' I mean they just sit there as if the car is off. SPEEDO, TACH, and FUEL don't move at all, and the ODO is just a blank solid gray LCD screen. Strangely, the TEMP gauge appears to work just fine. All the exterior lights appear to work correctly. There has been no work done on the vehicle recently to have disturbed anything.

I haven't had an opportunity to check the GAUGE FUSE yet (I hope it's that simple) but I was wondering if anyone had any previous experience with this problem?

Thanks !
  • fidgetzfidgetz Member Posts: 1
    Have you gotten any results? I am having the exact same problem.
  • EpearsonjrEpearsonjr Member Posts: 1
    For all you lost soals that have instrument gate problems. (1) ngine light comes on every few thousand miles to remind you to change your oil, oil filter, an lub job. (2) Only worry when the lights are blinking on and off. (3) If all gages are on at the same time discconect the battery wait a few seconds and reconnect. This will reprogram the computer to default and gages should go off. (4) Low air light is a common gage light that is lit up. Check you tire pressure (include spaire). If after checking all air pressure and light still does not go off screw it. It's not worth the price to replace the pressure sensor in the tire and you would have to check eachone until the light goes off. The $75 to $95 dollar price for the sensor is not worth it. Hey, we got along just fine before the units were placed in our SUV's car's trucks etc. DO watch your suspension parts and the damn timeing belt. Keeps those in good shape and there is no reason you can't get 400,000 miles plus with you 4 runner. Eber