Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• fltrn1212fltrn1212 Member Posts: 3
  • fltrn1212fltrn1212 Member Posts: 3
    Just got my silver 4Runner. Amazing work Toyota. I've been waiting since 06 for this bad boy!
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Hope you happy new owners can post gas milage and first impressions.
  • bigworm1bigworm1 Member Posts: 2
    I just got done driving one. I like the fit and finish (although lacks headroom) but it was just way too slow for me. I sure do miss the V8 torque.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    And they had a new 2010 fully loaded (I think) stickered at 41K. Let me say while I am not by any means "in love" with the new body style, BUT, pictures don't do it justice. As a matter of fact I told the salesman the same thing.

When he asked when I would be buying one, I replied, "Never". He asked why? I said I actually tow a 5,000 pound trailer with my '05 Sport V8. He said this was on the edge of the specs for the 2010. I replied when towing you really only want to be at about 90% to allow for cargo, passengers in the vehicle doing the towing. He looked at me and agreed, and said "Yes someone like you will have t look elsewhere".

TOYOTA HAS BLOWN IT BY NOT OFFERING THE V8 FOR AT LEAST AN OPTION!!
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    For those that just bought one or have sat in one, how is the legroom in the back seats?? Specs say 32.9" of legroom.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Congrats. I agree they look better in person, I saw one in a parking lot last weekend and really liked it. I'm due for an oil change and tire rotation in my '08, I'll check them out while I'm at the dealer.
  • lexus_manlexus_man Member Posts: 2
    The 4Runners began arriving at the local Toyota dealers mid week and I was anxious to see one up close and personal. Being the motivated buyer that I am, I was anxious to climb behind the wheel of the 2010 4Runner Limited and eventually park one in my garage where my '05 used to be. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

I agree that the stock pictures don't do the redesigned 4Runner justice. I love the new rugged look that it now has. Unfortunately, that's where the love affair ended. Prior writers have noted the cheesy plastic covered dashboard that it now has. Although my interest is the Limited, I also looked at the SR5. It was parked next to a Highlander Limited. The Highlander's interior far surpassed that of the 4Runner. At least it offers the genuine imitation fake wood grain to accent the interior. No such luck with the 4Runner.

Other disappointments:
    -no in-glass antenna for the radio
    -cross bars for the roof rack are now optional (sheesh)
    -no running boards (the salesman assured me I could get it as an after market item - why should I have to?)
    -very imited color choices (the saleman did find that one blue vehicle is due to be delivered 200 miles away; the only one expected on the east coast for now)
    -the new V6 engine (I agree with the one who noted that it has the get up of a tired dog)
    -lastly, what up with the positioning of the the window controls?

To those who have purchased the new 4Runner and love it, I'm happy for you; truly I am. It just didn't have the same appeal for me. :cry: Fortunately, I'm still in love with my '05.
    "cross bars for the roof rack are now optional (sheesh)
    -no running boards (the salesman assured me I could get it as an after market item - why should I have to?)
    -very imited color choices (the saleman did find that one blue vehicle is due to be delivered 200 miles away; the only one expected on the east coast for now)"

It's the strike of the bean counters! (i.e. the number crunchers at Toyota). The cost cutting on this vehicle is painful!
  • amarrao14amarrao14 Member Posts: 5
    I see why you call yourself 'lexus man'...you care more about the deleted running boards, decontented roof rack, and lack of fake wood trim (couldn't stop laughing with that one) than the lack of a center differential, HIGH 4400 rpm V6 torque peak, or lower max. towing capacity.

Go buy a Lexus!

I'd much rather have Toyota spend their 4Runner dollars on a Torsen center differential in the SR5 and Trail models and/or optional V-8 than FAKE WOOD TRIM and RUNNING BOARDS.

Off-roaders/towers have lost most of their choices to the crossover/cute-ute buyers. Leave us what little scraps we have and don't try to take them!
    Running boards are important if your wife or girlfriend is on the petite side. Why should one have to pay to "complete" the roof rack?
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    The 4Runner is still pretty hot according to the salesperson here at a dealership in Northern California. Many people called to inquire when they would in stock. I was told I am the first person to check it out, but I think I am
    not the first person who is hesitant to buy one. Some of my impression
    after the short test drive of an SR5.

1. Exterior
    I basically like the shape of this 5th generation. Looks solid and tough.
    Looks a little nicer than the 4th generation because of the lifted face.
    It is a purely personal taste, though.

2. Interior
    - After adjusting the seat, I found myself easy to get in and out. Headroom
    is fine, legroom is fine too. I am 6'2". Rear legroom is better than the spec'ed
    32.8".

- Simple and plain console layout, which I like.
    - Plastics doesn't look cheap to me (on the contrary to some other reviews on other forums
    - Limited version doesn't have an upscale interior than the SR5.

3. Performance
    - Overall feels a little underpowered, "pick up" on highway is not there. Didn't have this feel on a 09 V6 or V8. This is the biggest disappointment.
    - Drives buoyantly, or the suspension is too soft for my taste.

One thing that is tricky to me is the gas pedal. Whenever I tried to step on the gas after a stop, my right foot was somehow always stuck by the the left bottom part of the console housing that is close to the gas pedal. I had to carefully adjust my foot to step right on the gas. This never happens on any vehicle that I have driven/tested. Perhaps my seat wasn't very well adjusted? I really doubted it.

I had thought to use the 4Runner as my commute car plus weekend/holiday recreation vehicle. The on-road performance is equally important as the off-road ability. I am now hesitated...perhaps I ask for too much?
  • joli1joli1 Member Posts: 1
    2009 4Runner - 4300lbs with 236hp which gives it 18.22lbs/hp vs 2010 4Runner - 4675 lbs with 270hp which gives it 17.31lbs/hp. In this case, the lower number wins. I'll take the off road capability along with body integrity over a little pick up. Maybe the new one is geared a little different. After renting several compacts ove the past several months having a locked gas latched, I am surprised that Toyota went away from this feature. Now the bears can get to the gas.
  • amarrao14amarrao14 Member Posts: 5
    As aamixy said, 'pick up' on the highway is not there.

This not a function of lack of horsepower so much as it is a function of a lack of midrange torque.
    Truck engines, even DOHC Toyota truck engines, are not normally tuned to rev to get to the meat of their power band - it is supposed to start BELOW 4000 rpm. But this 4Runner V6's torque peak is at 4400(!) rpm. That is very high for a truck engine, and is probably both a symptom of the undersized nature of this engine as the topline option (which therefore forced Toyota to wring every bit of torque they could from it, driving the rpms higher), and a cause of the underpowered feeling on the highway, where you have to floor it to pass someone whereas the older 4Runner had power in reserve...
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    as i pointed out before on new 4runner
    no hid lights
    no led tail lights, or leds all around
    no lock on gas cap
    antenna on front passenger side.

also someone above pointed out. weird location for window controls.

also drove test drove the sr5 and highlander sport back to back. THe sr5 felt spongy compared to highlander, but i think it is because of the tires . The limited should have a firmer feel with lower sidewall width tires and xreas sport suspension.

Also in response to murano above. Murano drives much better and handles better, but good luck when CVT starts failing. The more you gun it, the worse the cvt gets with time (hesitation).

Also the new 4runner does in fact have less pick up than old v8 runner. They are pushing folks to go after the new lexus gx 460 which should be on the website next week.

I dont know why toyotat didnt include a 6 speed transmission and an option for 2wd vs 4wd like on sr5 for limited. What sense does that make? Toyota skimping out on stuff here that wont fly with many buyers here
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    Hi, thanks for pointing that out. I thought it is a combination of both power and torque. Anyway, I am thinking to rent the 4runner for a weekend for a thorough test drive to see how is performs.
    no hid lights
    no led tail lights, or leds all around
    no lock on gas cap
    antenna on front passenger side.

(all cost cutting measures).
    Remember 2003, when toyota put on the ugly flat black cladding on the 4-runner. Sales dropped, and potential customer complained because previous 4-runner buyers didn't buy it. Unfortunately, this situation may occur again. If it is truly underpowered, most of the 4-runner base will not accept, because you do not buy a 4-runner for gas milage, you buy a Prius. As an existing v8 sport runner owner, I do not want leather seats, and black cladding, yet I want everything else including AWD with XREAS. The 2010 line-up does not offer me a vehicle option.
    well looks like the gx460 here now. disappointed in the way it looks to be honest. think the 4runner looks better. torque and hp is above 300. neat gadgets and cockpit for gx, but not sure if it is worth 15 grand more! would of considered in mid 40's. i dont know who the heck buys these vehicles in this kind of economy! cant wait to test drive the limited 4runner. i am sure it drives better on ROAD than sr5.

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/gx-460/2010/2010-lexus-gx-460-first-drive.html
    Yep,
    I am going back to the money tree in the backyard and pick off 50 Large Ones!

Gimme a break!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you'd like to talk about a Lexus vehicle, please visit a discussion pertaining to the vehicle. This one is exclusively for discussing the 4Runner.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

hi
    there is no section for new lexus gx460. please ask your colleages to create new thread
  • golf9596golf9596 Member Posts: 5
    Don't get me wrong, I love the new "rugged" look. I like the larger vehicle, but that is where it stops for me. The 09 just out performs the lastest and greatest model, imo. I was waiting to see and drive the 2010 model before I made a buying decision. My dealer has two 2009 SR5s left on the lot. Sometimes new is not better and in this case, Toyota got it wrong.
  • luke150luke150 Member Posts: 16
    Is there a 5 pin railer harness hookup on the new 4 Runner. I saw a 7 pin receptacle under the left rear bumper but no harness to reach to the ball mount.. There is a provision for routing and supporting the harness but my dealer has no info on availability from Toyota.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    In most sections, we ask users who are interested in a particular vehicle or topic to create their own discussions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    Kristie - I understand staying on topic, but I believe the posts related to the Lexus are relevent here, I mean they are virtually the same vehicles, one having a bit more luxuary than the other right?

:)
  • tearlachtearlach Member Posts: 9
    First, I'm a little biased because I loved my 92 (2nd gen) 4Runner SR5 for 6 years and only sold it because we had twins and a 12 year old (don't ask) - the back seat wasn't big enough. I've been trying to find a AWD/4WD CUV/SUV that will haul 2 adults plus 3 teenagers+gear; checked out Highlander, CX-9, Santa Fe, Tribeca (sorry domestic fans, I've been burned too much by Ford and Chevy). This will backup our 04 Honda Pilot EX-L, still running strong.

We took out a Blizzard Pearl 2010 4WD 4Runner Limited with NAV (base MSRP $39,800 + $2,638 Options + $795 Del. Proc Handling for Total $43,233) for a short ride because it was being traded between dealers tomorrow.

First impressions - exterior seemed a little wider (OAW 75.8"/OAL 189.9"), had 9.6" clearance with P245/60 R20 tires and a higher cowling. It reminded me of a small armored car look, subdued but somewhat menacing.

Once inside we enjoyed the higher front passenger seat position, thicker steering wheel and improved instrumentation, including digital temp readouts and voice activated touch screen NAV system. A 5 speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) and sequential shift mode along with Full-time 4WD with Active Traction Control and Locking Center Differential control knob in place of the usual 4WD L/H shifter was a welcome addition. After switching to the drivers seat I immediately drove in a tight circle a couple times at increasing speed while the X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension kicked in to keep the truck as level as possible - it cornered very well for a curb weight of 4805 lbs. plus 4 passengers.

Venturing onto the road we appreciated the smooth new 4.0 L DOHC 24-valve EFI dual independent VVT-i V6 that produces 270 HP 5600 rpm / 278 lb-ft 4400 rpm, rated to give a 4WD gas mileage estimates 17 city/23 highway/19 combined. The coil spring independent double wishbone front suspension w/ stabilizer bar and coil-spring independent 4-link lateral rod rear suspension with stabilizer bar isolated our butts over pot holed macadam road, dirt road and interstate. The 4 wheel ventilated disc brakes w/ 4 wheel ABS, EBD and Brake Assist were very competent as it began raining on the interstate, afternoon dodging traffic. It doesn't have the acceleration of the 4th gen V8, but it was enough for my needs. Wish it had in glass antenna and LEDs too, but I'm guessing these were cost savers for Toyota.

Sadly, we had to keep the drive short because they were to ship it out to another dealer and didn't want much mileage on it. All I can say is after a couple months of looking at most of the Asian CUV/SUV's out there and budgeting $35K, we now are seriously looking to spend $40-45K to get this vehicle. It has the road handling we need for 85% of our driving and I'm sure more than meets our need for the 15% on mountain snow, muddy dirt roads and sandy fishing trips on the OBX our family needs. Check out this fine road handling tank (5th generation 4Runner) if you can find one. Get it before the sliding US$ and customer demand drives the price up!
  • waltzonicewaltzonice Member Posts: 7
    For those lucky few who currently own one -- what kind of gas mileage are you getting so far? what flavor gas are you using -- regular/premium?
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    uh - this has got to be marketing copy straight from Toyota - what kind of consumer would write this way? :sick:
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Yep. I felt the same way as soon as I read it.

No V8 &/or AWD on base models = no thanks. Btw, I saw a recent Car and Driver issue where the 4.6 4Runner is coming out in late 2010, but haven't read or heard this anywhere else.
    The 2010 4Runner owner's manual specifies a 2000lb. towing limit without adding a sway bar(WDH). Would towing a 4000lb bass boat without the added sway bar void the warranty?
    It's the tongue weight as well as the total weight?. What is the tongue weight (i.e.) the force on the front of the trailer hitch puts on the ball of the tow vehicle?

This has to be specified somewhere as well.

BTW-if you can afford the boat you can almost certainly afford the hitch. Do a search on google for an "Equalizer Brand" WDH.
  • nets46nets46 Member Posts: 6
    Any one seen the Trail edition available at the dealer?
    Non in CA seems to have one.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Does anyone know if the 2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 has an oil filter or a canister with element for oil change(s)? Thanks.
    This is coming from a 2004 Sport V8 owner, so keep that in mind. Drove a Limited today. The exterior looked better than expected, actually slightly larger, the interior slightly less so. I thought it was actually noiser than my 2004 sport v8, and clearly did not have the same power. Lots of very nice gadgets. Did not like the slide out tray in back since it probably takes away at least a cubic foot of space. Could not find the oil filter. The dealer told me you now need a special oil filter wrench. Yes, the new announced Lexus GX has all the goodies V8 and 6 spd trans for another $20K. It misses the mark for me, and when you look at all the items deleted from the 2009, you will realize that is trinket driven (tailgate speaker switch) and misses on the core items (V8, 6spd).
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I agree with you as I used to have a 2006 V8 4Runner 4WD and definitely when I drove the new 2010 V6 4Runner 4X2 it has less power/torque compared to the V8 (was not even a 4X4 the 2010 4Runner I drove). Also, I called Toyota customer service and found out that the 2010 4Runner has indeed a canister with an element for oil filter change. Although the canister it might be a better oil filtration for the engine it is more complicated than a normal oil filter to change and that makes it easier for me to start looking for the 2010 Subaru Outback which I plan to purchase one in the near future.
  • canmikcanmik Member Posts: 1
    Just joining this forum.
    very interesting comments . I went through all of them because I'm really interested to buy the new 4runner. Live in Montreal,Canada and the 5th gen is not yet avail. here but should be soon . Driving SUV since many years and want to trade my 05-Pathfinder. Will be my first toyota experience . technically speaking I believe it is a good pick despite some minor irritants. My Path has almost the same HP and torque(V6) and never had problems towing my 3000pound boat however it is consuming much more than what toyota said about the 4runner. any real life experience from new owners about driving experience, torque and MPG ?
    don't want to hear that you are missing the V8..it is not and will not be there ..
  • embryoembryo Member Posts: 22
    i purchased an sr5 a couple of weeks ago and though i havent calculated mpg so far it seems the same as my previous 06 4runner with v6. As far as torque goes, the engine feels the same as the old one. i did not have any issues with power in my previous 06. the only difference i have noticed is this one feels a little bigger than the last one when driving and in fact i believe it is a little bigger. i loved my 06 runner and so far feel the same way about my 2010. i will post mpg the next time i fill my tank...sorry i just filled it yesterday and did not record mileage.
    actually there are several toyota vehicles using this oil canister , including highlander. I actually think its the same number of steps and better. Eliminates the oil pan and makes draining easier, and one less point of leakage that may happen. Not to mention less waste (no metal to throw away).
    Getting 21mpg overall 50/50 by computer.
    My computer is showing 19.8 and I am mostly city 70/30. And the 30 highway is rush hour in Atlanta so it's stop and go. Impressive if it's accurate.
  • canadian8canadian8 Member Posts: 1
    I just received a message from a local dealership that the 2010 4Runner will be here in the Vancouver, BC area on December 12th. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
  • stateofmainestateofmaine Member Posts: 30
    this is clearly a toyota corporate troll… if you're going to pollute the thread, at least keep from making it so flipping OBVIOUS!! *rolls eyes*
    so far the 2 reviews on edmunds by consumers pretty useless imho.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/4runner/2010/consumerreview.html
    Based on the lack of traffic on this board, I assume that the interest or satisfaction is weak. Current feedback is subjective. I too would like to see real gas milage numbers (calculated by miles driven divided by gallons), not just the computer number. There appears to be quite a few of them out there (some dealers have 5 or more), yet feedback appears lacking from the new buyers whom I would think would be excited to share their experience with their new toy.
    Those of us with previous generation w/the V8 are beyond disappointed! This things are 41K and you can't get one with the V8. The styling, while better in person than pictures, is not the greatest!
    2009 v6 limiteds were 41k as well
  • kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    I picked up my 4Runner Limited yesterday. It is freezing here this week. I pointed the remote starter out the office window at the car and followed the starting sequence -- nothing! The dealer tells me that the system is good to 100 feet -- useless. An aftermarket replacement of the unit is over $700.

What a POS! The aftermarket system on my old car was good to 600 feet.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    my old car was good to 600 feet.

I'm just curious but why would you want to start your car from 200 yards away?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Calculated 20.8 vs. 21.4 computer 50/50 on my second tank. Based on 422 miles driven.