Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• embryoembryo Member Posts: 22
    i 2nd that. I am in a suburb of atlanta and love my 10 sr5. traded in my 06 on one back in november. they are moving well here too. i have paid attention to the stock at several of the toyota dealers and they are not stale by any means.
    i'm not sure this is legal but those that think there is a lack of interest need to check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs-its-finally-here/ and hear from those that have purchased the new model. you may be surprised if all you have seen is a lot of the negativity on this board.
  • stateofmainestateofmaine Member Posts: 30
    to be fair it's not universally positive on that forum, either.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I'm in the same boat here.I don't go off road or tow so the V6 is plenty but I can't seem to find a reason to why this doesn't have running boards? I don't need them for myself but having 2 kids ages 4 and 6, the running boards are a must. Maybe some aftermaket company is designing them now. Also. 3rd. row seat is a special order. I've never done a special order on any car, but I want to see what I am getting right away. I'm currently waiting on what Nissan will do with their Pathfinder.
  • mcswigummcswigum Member Posts: 10
    I have ordered a new black limited 4runner with everything on it two weeks ago. I have checked several auto body stores in my area to install a brush guard and window/rain guards on the vehicle when it arrives and was told it will be 2-3 months before they have the new designs are in fabrication. It was Aries and Westin. So you will be looking at late Feb. or March before anything comes for sale.

As far as considering other vehicles, I have test driven everything from x5, ml 350, MDX's, new and used and this vehicle is right up there with them. Not quite as refined, but just as capable and 15-25K less. The only way this vehicle gets beat is when someone finally comes out with a fuel efficient diesel, like the ML 350CDI or VW TDI. Even then it takes a lot of fuel to make up for the additional cost.
    you are correct, but most of the negative comments are from those that have not purchased and driven one. a lot are discouraged about the lack of a v8 and rear locking diff change, which is understandable. i'm one of the suburbanite dads that occasionally goes off road for camping and fishing etc. so its not an issue for me. i just wanted to let those that are interested in comments from current owners of the 2010 4runner know about the other forum.
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    Is there anything that is "universally positive"? Not likely. :shades:

I thought this consumer review on Edmunds for the '10 4Runner was rather definitive for many long-term 4Runner fans: "...Don't think any vehicle will ever look as good as 3rd gen 4Runner, but this one is pretty close...."

For me... the 2010 4 Runner is frickin excellent - inside and out.

Replying to: embryo (Jan 07, 2010 11:43 am)
    to be fair it's not universally positive on that forum, either.
  • warrebwarreb Member Posts: 20
    Surprise! I got a call yesterday that the running boards are in and ready to install. The dealer is Scott Clark Toyota of Matthews, NC.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Are these from an aftermarket company? I thought Toyota didn't make them for this vehicle.
    Dealer claims "they match the 4Runner trim" and implies they are a Toyota dealer installed option, like the roof rack cross bars. Haven't seen them yet.
    i hear they make minivans and crossovers for the faint hearted.
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Toyota will not be making running boards for this vehicle according to their customer service group. I do believe that aftermarket will be ready in about 2 to 3 months per my chats with a couple after market companies.

No mud flaps either..dang

Cant wait. Front wheeels kick up a lot of mud and slush on the rocker panels and dirty my dress and hunting trousers when I get in and out!!!!
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    hey thanks... this thing needs them badly and quick
  • rsarramirsarrami Member Posts: 47
    Hry Guys:

All Canadian version of 2010 4Runners come with running board. They look identical to FJ running boards (my brother has one). I think they are installing the same one. After all they share the same platform. If not, call Toyota canada toll free.
  • c120c120 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2010 4Runner Limited last week in Mississippi. They could not get running boards for me (Mississippi Toyota dealers order their car and parts inventory from Gulf States Toyota, one of the two remaining Toyota Distributors). I checked locally here in Mobile, AL (Alabama Toyota dealers order their car and parts inventory from Southeast Toyota, the other remaining Toyota distributor). One local dealer had running boards in stock and the other local dealer order a set for me on Monday. They arrived Friday and I had them installed on Saturday morning. They look fantastic, with chrome trim that matches nicely with the chrome trim of the Limited edition 4Runner. Any Toyota dealer in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina or North Caroline should be able to get these for you. The part number is 00016-89035. I paid $345 for them plus installation. Hope this helps everyone.
  • SteelmillSteelmill Member Posts: 1
    Actually, that is a very good rating for a vehicle in this class. It is about midpack for SUVs overall, which is impressive given that the 4Runner is an offroad capable truck-based model, as opposed to a pavement-only unibody (now the majority of the SUIV class). If you don't need offroad capability, then there are some (but not all) crossovers and many wagons that would be a better choice.
  • nets46nets46 Member Posts: 6
    Great.
    I understand that the Navi is a must if you get the KDSS.
    What price did you get it for?
    There are non in CA; still waiting.
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Can someone please give their opinion on the third row of the 2010 4Runner, for instance, its too tight, impossible to get to, pointless?

For instance, on the 2010 RAV4 third row it looks like Toyota moves the second row up, making all back rows miserable.

Looks like Chicagoland won't get 4Runners with third row.

Looking at Pilot, Outback, HL, Venza or 4Runner to replace the 2002 Forester because its getting tight with three kids. The other vehicle is a 2009 Sienna.
    We just traded a 2004 4Runner with the third row seats and 147,000 mi. They were used twice during that time! Quite uncomfortable, ill-suited for long trips and a hassle to get in and out of. Before purchasing our 2010 4Runner, we checked out the 3rd row seats; they are a bit better designed but still not great; so we elected to forego them this time. While looking, we also examined the third row in the Highlander. There, the seat comfort and entry is better yet, but still nowhere near the pleasantness of the big-three American vans of the 1980s.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Since I was planing to have the 3rd row seats 99% down and I already have an 2006 Sienna Limited, it made sense and decided to not get the 3rd row in my current 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD, and I am glad I did not, since I find the standard sliding rear cargo deck with under-floor storage box more useful... on a different subject, averaging 23.5MPG (70/30 H/C miles) on my 3rd tank of gas... wow, what an amazing vehicle...
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If you do not need the off road capability of the 4Runner, your better off with one of your other choices.

The rest are cross overs, and not "body on frame" like the 4Runner.
  • toyota_ladytoyota_lady Member Posts: 5
    The Third row seat isn't as tight in the new 4Runner as it is in the Rav4. But from experience the 2009 Sienna would be a much better choice with three kids. I am a Toyota Rent a Car Manager @ Turner Toyota Rent a Car in Colorado. I have had all of the Toyota's you mentioned in my fleet. I work with alot of people, who are repeat customers of mine. They give me great input and I get to try all of the vehicles myself. I have been doing this for the past 4 years and before this I was at a different dealership in the parts department for 6 years. The Sienna is such a masterpiece when it comes to family convenience, and reliability. Living in Colorado I keeo the AWD version in my fleet and it handles like a dream in all weather. The Highlander is an excellent vehicle but with car seats and other gear it is difficult as it lacks storage area behind the third seat when in use. My Dad drives a Pilot, (he doesn't live close to me evidently) and it is smaller than the Highlander. The new 2011 Sienna van is going to have foot rests on the two rear bucket seats and has a lot of other new options to check out. The Sienna van in any recent year model is still the best Family vehicle toyota makes in my opinion.
  • 02yorunner02yorunner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 SR5 that has the center differential. It seems to me that the new SR5 now comes with an inferior 4wheel drive system. I would be going from push buttons to levers, and loose the center differential. Or is the 2010 4 runner's 4 wheel drive similiar to the 2002 with the center diff locked? Any input would be appreciated. I like the new one, but not sure if I should get a trail. I use it in snow, sand, and old logging roads, so having a capable 4x4 is crucial.
    The only full time 4WD drive with center differential is the 2010 4Runner Limited edition. Both SR5 and Trail edition are part time with rear differential that require once in a month for 3-10 miles or so to engage (only off-road) the 4WD system to keep the 4WD components lubricated, and that is the main reason I paid extra to get the Limited ...
    You just gave me more reasons to get an SR5 and take it offroad at least once a month... sweet. thanks.
  • hikervincehikervince Member Posts: 3
    It is important to realize that the center differential is a non-issue on the part-time 4WD models, because the transfer case divides the power equally between front and back with no variation - no differential action. The best traction available in any stock 4Runner is with part-time 4WD and a push-button locking rear differential, as comes stock on the Trail Edition. Also, in normal 2WD on the highway, the 4WD SR-5 or the Trail Edition will get better mileage than the Limited, because there are less parts moving under power - less friction. Engaging the part-time 4WD once a month is a small price to pay for better gas mileage and superior 4WD performance. Please don't take offense. The Limited is a fantastic vehicle, but it is important to see things clearly.
    for the record: according to Toyota, there is no difference in MPG between the full-time 4WD (Torsen center differential-equipped) Limited and the part-time 4WD (VF2A transfer case) SR5 and Trail Editions. so whichever model you choose, you can expect the same fuel economy.
    Ok, since it is a direct reply to me, I want you to realize this, that although both 4WD systems are great, the fact remains that the full time 4WD is superior to part time 4WD system and as a matter of fact superior to AWD in terms of dynamics for tough terrain on/off road ability. You need to read specific literature and educate yourself accordingly. I also understand economic conditions might prevent some people to not be able to afford the top of the line 4WD system for all terrain... so please, do us a favor and stop talking nonsense... end of story!
    Does anyone know where it is? I crawled under today, took the oil drain access plate off, saw the drain plug in the otherwise smooth plastic oil pan (held in place with 12 bolts), but no sign of a cover plate or access for the filter housing.
  • hikervincehikervince Member Posts: 3
    Hi Agnosto. I was trying to be helpful, so no reason to be snippy. With the center differential on the Limited, the full-time 4WD is of course far superior to AWD, because of the excellent traction control system, and the option of locking the center differential. But once you do that, you have exactly the same drive system you have on the Trail in 4WD, with traction control and no center differential action. But then on the Trail you also have the push-button locking rear axle, which is not available on the Limited, so the superior traction is the Trail with the rear end locked. The Limited is the top-of-the-line 4R, but they did make some sacrifices in off-road capability. It does make sense that Toyota would build the best off-road capability (including best traction features) into the Trail. That's the whole point of it.

Agnosto - please keep your comments on the level of friendly discussion. Thanks and best wishes - Hikervince.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Completely agree. For off-roading, Trail is the best set up. For the pavement, limited is obviously much better. So for most of real time driving, limited is the way to go if you can afford it.
  • alancosmoalancosmo Member Posts: 2
    Jan 19, 2010
    Hello everyone:
    I am buying a 2010 4 runner trail model, and want to purchase brush guards front and rear for her.

Does any person know where to find that item?
    Also, I want to be able to park her in New York City, so brush guards / bumper guards are very important.

The front of the new 4 runner is plastic. - One good bump on the street without bumper guards means $2000 damage.
    HELP HELP HELP
    Alan Cosmo
  • erik10erik10 Member Posts: 4
    Has Toyota fixed the problem of excessive rusting of truck frames in salty northern states that was most publicized in truck models up to 2004, but I assume affected SUV's as well. Am in MI & ready to buy 2010 4Runner I'd like to drive for a few years.
  • tay528tay528 Member Posts: 16
    Hey y'all,

I'm new to the forum and in all honesty, new to Toyota and the 4Runner (come from a diehard Ford family).

I've got a basic question I'm sure all of you who are searching for or have already purchased a '10 4Runner can answer. I searched the thread and caught glimpses of the answer but nothing concrete enough-

I understand that you can get an SR5 with leather by adding the premium package. I'm having trouble locating a price for this package- anybody know off hand? If you "build" a Toyota on the site it doesn't offer the premium package as an option, only the convenience package.

And can a SR5 with this premium package be found on the lots or is an special order only kind of thing?

I'd love to just get the Limited grade but I'm a graduate student and that $40k price tag is hard to justify right now. I have to have leather though for my dog though (plus I've got leather now and am admittedly accustomed to it ). Thanks in advance.
    Edmunds.com is the best way to price it out with your desired options. good luck.
  • erik10erik10 Member Posts: 4
    Price of SR5 Premium Package is $2205. Gets you leather trimmed front & rear, heated fronts, 8-way power driver & 4 way power passenger, leather St wheel, shifter, courtesy lamps. Check out the sliding rear cargo deck @ $350 for that dog box & groceries. I gotta have one of those things if I can be certain frame won't rust out after a few MI winters.
  • cliffordncliffordn Member Posts: 5
    Why do you think you need 4 wheel drive on pavement? I think running in rear wheel drive is far better on pavement absent a situation that requires more traction.
    cliffordn.. Have you ever owned a 4WD vehicle? I think not - otherwise you wouldn't have asked that question. Everyone knows that 4WD isn't necessary on dry pavement - that wasn't why the question was raised.

Aside from reasonable, not inflated Toyota lease numbers (which I hope changes between now and summer), the issue regarding pavement is my last concern. If you can't drive the SR5 on dry pavement in 4H, it might make more sense for me to get the Limited model (which I really don't know that I want because of the price point) because the other driver of this vehicle won't want to "fuss" with the manual shifter of the SR5 because here in Colorado, you can often go from dry pavement to snow or ice covered roads.

I was all excited when I first saw the new 4Runner - it seems to be the perfect fit for us - not a Land Cruiser that won't fit in our garage built in 1918 and not a completely suburban-ite like the Highlander.

From a lease/finance standpoint, a Limited model pushes me up close to Land Rover LR4 and even base Porsche Cayenne pricing - a place I really don't want to go for a vehicle that will be driven less than 7,000 miles a year for vacations and driven in the winter during snow events here in Colorado.

So does anyone know... can the SR5 be put into 4H and be driven on dry pavement as much as you want?
    NO. the SR5 and Trail Editions DO NOT have a center differential so, unlike the Torsen-equipped 2010 Limited, they cannot be driven on dry pavement. doing so will cause excessive binding in the drivetrain and stress u-joints and other functional components (specifically when making tight turns at slow speeds). this stress will manifest itself via feedback in the steering wheel.

the SR5 and Trail Editions should only engage 4WD when road/off-road conditions permit enough slippage to prevent binding in the drivetrain: snow, slush, ice, etc. rain can be ok, if there's enough of it; why would you need 4WD if it were only a light mist, of course.
    No, you can not drive the 2010 SR5 and Trail edition 4WD on the dry pavement at all (unless you want to take the risk of breaking down the 4WD components...) Also as an FYI, I have verified that with TCS (800-331-4331) and that is one main reason I purchased the 2010 Limited edition.
  • 104runner104runner Member Posts: 11
    1000 miles of driving in different conditions in last few weeks; 19 MPG on Sierra Mountain Roads, 24MPG on Interstate at 65MPH. 75MPH dropped to 22MPG, 85MPH dropped to 20MPG.

Anyone put their crossbars on themselves? I purchased the crossbars, floor mats, cargo area cover on line and saved a lot.
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Just to be clear, we already own a 2009 Sienna LE. Didn't get the AWD, scared of run flat tires.

Thanks for all your comments, and keep up the discussion on the attributes of various AWD/4WD systems, this is a good read.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    very upset at toyota. What moron is making decisions about only having the LIMITED with 3rd row seats on west coast? I was told by several dealers here that. MAKES NO SENSE. If toyota wants my business, i want the color and options to my liking, not random off the assembly line. Ive been told many dealers dont want the sliding cargo tray on 4runners and will stop ordering them. GOOD! RAV4 has 3rd row seat but 4R i cant get? I will be calling corporate japan next week and speak to them. crazy. People at toyota cant do a job correctly, then dont work there. Smart people with no common sense (or uncommon sense more like it)!
    Toyota's always had a (somewhat addled) mind of its own when it comes to its option packages. JIT manufacturing be damned, Toyota doesn't offer options a' la carte. it's frustrating.
  • cliffordncliffordn Member Posts: 5
    So ... I guess we all agree that the Limited has the best 4 wheel drive for dry pavement. BTW - I have owned a Jeep CJ and a Toyota truck both had part time 4 wheel drive.
    not to put too fine a point on it, i'd say the Limited has the only 4 wheel drive for dry pavement. :shades:
  • jseegersjseegers Member Posts: 2
    I've had my black 1998 4-runner since new and was thinking of buying the new 4-Runner - that was until I was standing up close to one. VERY DISAPPOINTED !!!!!!!! I liked the sport edition , but the hood scoop could go . And now it's replaced with the trail edition . (with a hood scoop???????) The hood scoop fit's the sport better then the trail though , but anyway . For starters 1. no more locking gas door 2. fixed antenna 3. replaced the L.E.D. rear lights with bulb lights only after 4 years ( 2006,2007.2008, and 2009 4-runners ) 4. the window and door lock switches location 5. head lights and rear tail lights stick out to far from the fenders and rear quarter panel 6. 20 inch rims to big for this truck and to ugly - and the trails rims are flat out ugly - the sr5's are acceptable Good luck selling this truck Toyota you will need all the luck in the world. Didn't you learn from 2003 4-runner with the ugly grey plastic all over the outside and those squared off wheel wells - I'm glad they rounded of the wheel wells in 2006 . Looks much better. Well I will be keeping my black 1998 4-runner SR-5 a little longer - why not it only has 98,000 miles and looks great after all these years. 3rd generation were the best 4-Runners Toyota built. In the meantime I will continue to look for a 2009 4-Runner Sport Edition in black or dark grey
  • evergreenpearlevergreenpearl Member Posts: 4
    Hi: I have been following this blog since August when I was eagerly awaiting the introduction of the gen 5. I bought my 1997 4Runner new, and had to wait a few weeks to get the color I wanted. I like the new model, though the color choices are very lame. I have three salesmen trying to get me a blue one, however they tell me there is not yet a single one in the US! My 97 is the best vehicle ever built, and I can certainly wait for the color I want, but I too feel that Toyota is not building the trucks that it's loyal customers want. They have posters of this machine at every dealership, but only one or two black or grey models to select from. I have become hesitant about pursuing the purchase, though I cannot think of any other new vehicle that I want.
  • 104runner104runner Member Posts: 11
    I, too, had trouble finding 4R with options like 3rd row seat, etc. The Saleman suggested two reasons that I did not follow-up on so ???? 1. down turn in economy so toyota has fewer units out there to choose from. 2. storm during shipping (I think the 4R is still made/shipped from Japan), that caused lost/damaged inventory.