Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• mcswigummcswigum Member Posts: 10
    I have ordered a new 4runner in which I have been waiting over 8 weeks for. The concern I have with this new vehicle is; will it be recalled. The 2010 Toyota Tacoma is now under recall and isn't the 4runner built on this this trucks frame/chassis. I do not know much about the technology/engineering on these new vehicles, but is there a correlation here for a futures recall on the electronic braking or does the 4runner run a different program that is not effected. If anyone out there knows of any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. The vehicle is to arrive at port this week and should be at my dealership within two weeks so before I sign away I would like some assurance that the 4runner is going to be exempt from these problems. Thanks for your time...
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Not sure if anyone will know this answer for sure. the problem with toyota now is that we will not know until they inform us. Uncertainty will haunt this company and owners of its vehicles for some time. I wish I had waited a few more months to purchase a vehcile and found out about these issues. I would not have purchased a Toy.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    pjc -

I think it will be the other way around. Toyota needs to gain confidence back and I think they will now over communicate things to make it clear that they are acting of everything that comes up.

Only time will tell. I don''t currently have a toyota as most of their models don't appeal much to me, except this new 4Runner. Wife and I really like it - we are just waiting to see if there is any $$ offered across the whole portfolio to rebuild customer interest.

I hear you though - if I had just purchased I too would be a bit concerned.
  • tomtom11tomtom11 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2010 SR5 Toyota 4Runner in Dec.09.I wish someone would explain to me,why did toyota do way with the following features that were on my 2008.mud flaps,locking fuel door,running boards,linited slip rear end,locking differential,cross members on roof rack,power assist tail gate,the knob for engaging the4X4. The shift lever to engage the 4 wheel drive is hard to engage also almost inpossible to engage low range 4 wheel drive. Mud flaps and running boards are not available from toyota or after market! My wife wont drive this cheapened version of the former 4Runner! She needs a foot stool to get in the thing and has problems engaging the 4 wheel drive system. Toyota in their drive to be #1 in the auto industry is making the same mistakes as the former big three. ITS FOR SALE,any takers!
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2010
    Well, first of all, didn't you notice these items missing when you bought it? Secondly, running boards are available (dealer installed option) according to at least one other poster on this board. Try another dealer.

It's quite obvious the "bean counters" were involved when it came to what items would be deleted from standard (or not even available) equipment on this redesign. Spend 40K and not get a locking gas cap...I mean really!

I personally, would never buy one (I own an '05 Sport Edition) because lack of a V8 (I tow a trailer) is the deal killer for me!
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2010
    I just finished myself the first oil change at 5k miles (although I could have done it close to 10k miles but since it is the 1st oil change, I chose not to wait longer) on my 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV and as an FYI for those of you DIY it is quite a challenge and a bit lengthy process... but I liked the fact the main oil drain plug and oil filter cap (where it houses the element) is perfect vertical, so there is no chance for any sludge build up ... as an FYI, make sure you have the necessary torque settings for all the components involved for the oil change and do not forget there is a center (kind of hidden) plastic clip that connects the front bumper cover lower with the engine under cover sub-assembly that you need to remove in order to access the oil filter cap.
  • luke150luke150 Member Posts: 16
    Did you use synthetic 0W20 as recommended?
    edited February 2010
    Oh yes, I used 100% fully synthetic Mobil 1 0W-20 ... I had hard time to find it a month ago at Walmart so I had to go the extra mile to a non local Walmart store and got 6 qts and later on I found another 12 quarts at my local Walmart store at almost $6.50 per quart...
    I am waiting to find the single 5 quart can as it is more convenient and cheaper ...

The one Toyota delarship is selling is from what their parts department tells me a re branded Mobil 1 fully synthetic for Toyota ...

As an FYI, I use 100% fully synthetic Mobil 1 for over 15 years now on my vehicles.
  • toyota_ladytoyota_lady Member Posts: 5
    You can get the dealer to order you running boards part #00016-89035. They stopped putting the locking door on the fuel because the reason it was on there was to keep from getting your fuel stolen. But now the only way to get the fuel out is to drop the tank due to a diaphragm they put in there for safety. The cross bars for the roof rack should be out soon. Every time Toyota comes out with a new model it takes awhile for the accessory department to get caught up. The SR5 is the base model maybe check out the limited to see if it has more of what you were looking for.
    Someone can still put foreign material in your gas tank if there is no locking gas gap. And the thing is 40K and no locking gas cap.........
  • toyota_ladytoyota_lady Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    That's true, I just don't think of things like that I guess. Where I live we don't have problems with people doing that to others. Sorry.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Unless you live in an area devoid of teenagers & pranksters you should definitely be concerned w/someone putting a harmful substance in your gas tank. Happened to me on an older 4Runner, but was spotted by an eagle-eyed mechanic before it damaged my engine. Still costly to fix. You "may" not live where there is vandalism, which I seriously doubt as it's an American disease, but you definitely will drive your car somewhere that will make it vulnerable. Heck, even University parking lots are suspect. Toyota, put back the damn locking fuel lid!
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Absolutely from another potential 4Runner customer. I can not image that it cost more than $50 at production time (likely less). Make it an option. There are so many items, the 2009 had, that were deleted beyond the V8, that have placed my purchase on hold. Forget the new gimmics like the stereo tailgate option, and the slideout cargo area.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    so putting a locking gas cap cover will prevent thieves or whoever from stealing gas or putting something down your gas tank? gimme a break, a 5 year old kid could pry that cover open even WITH the locking cover with a screwdriver. if someone wants at it, that lock aint gonna stop anyone...get a stant locking cap even u are really concerned - any aftermarket cap however may make engine light come on

In regard to the dude that changed his oil at 5k, toyota does NOT recommend any oil change on the new 4R until 10k. While it is not proven, there may have been additives in that oil that help with the engine break in.

Breaks WILL squeak if sitting for prolonged period until all rust is removed by pads pressing against rotor. nothing wrong with this
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I thought not changing the "break-in" oil was Honda's recommendation.

And I thought I heard that Toyota had backed off their anticipated 10,000 mile oil change interval for the 2011 models and have gone back to the 5,000 mile interval. (link).

If you have some news about the 2011 4Runner that's different, please shoot us a link. Thanks.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    That's true. The protection of a locking gas lid is about the same protection you'd expect from the lock on the front door of your home. Any determined thief can break-in your home, your car, or whatever. But as most police departments will tell you, a little deterrence can go a long way, and if you make it easy to do vandalism or theft, etc. your odds have just increased 10-fold for that to become a reality. Given the choice, I'd much rather have a locking lid than not.
  • houzejeephouzejeep Member Posts: 3
    Does your prolong period mean sitting for 6 hrs with NO condensation. My 2010 4Runner Limited squeaks every morning when I go to work and night when I leave. My 13 year old Jeep Wrangler never squeaked like that and I paid half the price for the Jeep. The metal on the 4Runner is so thin the dryers at the car wash can dent the hood. And to others... the new 4Runner is now based off the FJ chassis, that is why its interior is wider. I'm not saying the the 4 isn't a nice ride, I just think the early models have bugs, the transmission at times just doesn't know what to do and I think that's just a program issue. I bought the 97 Wrangler(brand new design) when it first came out and swore to myself that I would not buy a new design right out the gates again because of bugs, the 98 solved the bugs, but when the new 4 came out I thought maybe just maybe that Toyota was different, nope unless I'm paying 100 grand for a car, all companies have issues, just don't be the test dummies for the 1st six months to a year and buy the new design, buy later... burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me. Won't do it again. Toyota will make things right, it's learning from it's older brothers(the Big 3) what NOT to do, but sometimes you want TOP position and you make mistakes, but the world has a funny way of reminding you don't sh*# where you eat. I'm off my soap box!
  • 104runner104runner Member Posts: 11
    The Manual for the 2010 4Runner SR5 recommends an oil change at 5,000 mile intervals. I will comply with that interval recommendation because I want to maintain the integrity of my warranty. This is one of the first things the dealer looks for when something goes wrong and you are seeking warranty work with regard to internal engine parts.
    I was told the oil in the 2010 4Runner was synthetic by dealer. If it is a full synthetic I do not understand why, after the initial oil change, the interval is so close together. My BMW as full synthetic and the recommended change is 15,000 mile intervals.
    edited February 2010
    Although the manual for the 2010 4Runner states to change the oil every 5,000 miles, you will receive according to TCS a new maintenance booklet that will show the change from 5,000 miles or 6 months to 10,000 miles or 1 year (official date per USA Toyota Corporation is January 6, 2010) which ever comes first. I just changed the oil on my 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV at 5,000 miles (although I could have waited longer) but I chose to, since it is the first oil and I performed 95% of the 5,000 miles on highway could enough to get me a good break-in of the engine with 27.2MPG at 50-55mph as a proof. My 2nd and subsequent oil changes will be closer to 10,000 miles interval, which I hope, I will have received the official maintenance booklet by Toyota Corporate by then...

In conclusion, my understanding is all the new Toyotas that use 0W-20 fully synthetic engine oil the interval for the change will be at 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first... I hope this clear any confusion related to the oil change topic with the 2010 4Runner...

Also, per TCS (800-331-4331) the break in period is 500 miles and the engine oil from the factory (1st oil in the engine) does NOT have any special additives so no issue to change the engine oil at 5,000 miles or less...
    Per TCS, no special oil additives in the engine oil on the 2010 4Runner, so the sooner you change the engine oil the better for the engine (for details see my 630 post)...
  • warrebwarreb Member Posts: 20
    In the Warranty and Maintenance Guide for my 2010 4runner, on page 38 it specifically states, as the first line item under 5,000 miles of 6 months, "Replace engine oil and oil filter." I had planned on changing the break in oil at 1000 miles or so (a ritual associated with all of the previous new cars I had owned), but based on other discussions on this forum about possible extra anti-scuff additives in the factory oil, and lack of any mention by Toyota of early oil change, will probably 'split the difference' and change the break in oil & filter at 2500 or so.
    I agree with previous post. I will be changing the oil before first 5,000 miles, no matter what the change date/miles recommend. Good to know about the lack of additives in the factory oil (first oil in engine). Thanks for the update. Total miles so far on my SR5 - 2,300 miles. Aside from having the cross-bars and not knowing how to put them on, I am very pleased.
  • embryoembryo Member Posts: 22
    edited February 2010
    Here are step by step instructions with images on how to install 2010 4runner cross bars. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs-its-finally-here/58863-how-install-ro- - of-rack-crossbars.html
    Thanks for the site reference. That forum is awesome. I will have the bars on in no-time thanks to that step-by-step.

Thanks again!
    edited February 2010
    np. there is tons of information there for current 5th gen owners and prospective buyers. www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs-its-finally-here/
    edited February 2010
    Here is what I received from Toyota when I inquired about the oil change interval....

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this may have caused.

Toyota recently announced that it will transition its new vehicles away from using conventional motor oil and instead use a 0W-20 weight synthetic oil.

Currently, the following Toyota vehicles use synthetic oil:
    2010 Prius
    2010 Camry 2.5L engine with Automatic transmission (4 cyl)
    2010 Camry 2.5L engine with Manual Transmission and California emissions
    2010 FJ Cruiser with 4.0L engine
    2010 Sequoia with 4.6L engine
    2010 4Runner with 4.0L engine
    2010 Tundra with 4.6L engine

The superior qualities of synthetic oil have allowed the oil change intervals to be extended from 5,000 miles or 6 months to 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever occurs first.

If your vehicle is driven under "Special Operating Conditions," the oil change intervals will remain at 5,000 miles or 6 months:

Special Operating Conditions include:
    • Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads
    • Towing a trailer, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading
    • Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C
    • Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for extended periods such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use

If you have any questions regarding your driving conditions, please contact the service department at your local dealership. You may obtain contact information for dealerships in your area by visiting www.toyota.com/dealers.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html.
    edited February 2010
    Now with 9K miles under its belt I continue to find my '10 4Runner Limited very uncomfortable. Maybe it is me but the drivers position is uncomfortable in really any seat position I have tried.

The door sill is very high and visibility is not good. The interior profile of this truck is certainly higher than an average truck and makes seat position/visibility challenging IMHO. Seats too are too firm and are not a comfortable seating surface.
    edited February 2010
    ... on the contrary, I find this beast (owner of 2010 4Runner V6 Limited 4WD with NAV driven so far about 5,500 miles) to be the most comfortable one compared to my previous 2 4Runners (1999 4Runner V6 Limited 4WD, 2006 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD). About 4,000 miles of the 5,500 miles I drove every day both ways 400 miles going to work for initial training for two weeks and I would not have made it, if it had not been for the comfort the beast provided for me 7 hours of driving each day (set the cruise control and let it go...), what an amazing vehicle ...
    Ok

I have no other 4Runner ownership experience so I will defer to your observations.

I suppose comparing to my previous two vehicles it is not as comfortable...comfort, after all, is relative.

P
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    PJC -

That is too bad to hear. I did rent an SR5 for an extended weekend up to the mountains and I did well. I thought the placement of the window switches was poor, but other than that I was fine.

How long do you typically drive at a stretch - short trips (30 minutes or so) or longer?

For comparison sakes, what did you drive before?
    edited February 2010
    Murphy:

The majority of my trips where I feel the seating is not comfortable are about 60 to 90 minutes in length. The leather is quite stiff and is not breaking in.

To be fair though my two previous vehicles were a 2008 Range Rover and a 2006 Land Cruiser. So the comparisons are tough to say the least. I purchased this truck to still have off road capability which I need and down size considerably for the next 4 years as I have tuition bills approaching six figures for my two daughters. I figured the limited would be the best choice to combine a "bit" of luxury in an affordable SUV.

Maybe I will get used to it over time but am not as pleased as I hoped I would be at this point. Time will tell.

P
    The sport seat in my BMW 545i was the same way. I beat in into submission; took time though. That is why I passed on the leather. The cloth in my two previous SUV's was easier to clean, more comfortable and quick to warm-up. Hard to beat the cloth seat in an off road truck. Just my opinion. I am in my 4R for 7 1/2 hours at a time and I find the seats very comfortable.
    Can the previous post comment on their experience between the Range Rover and their new 4-Runner. While the range rover is more cash, on paper it appears more capable. Also, those who have 5K+ miles, can you comment on your gas milage.
    Tangman..happy to provide my experience...

First, my mileage in cold and snow with about 60/40 highway/city with the limited is about 19.0 mpg but I am slightly aggressive on the pedal.

Secondly, agreed, the RR is much more expensive and in supercharged version considerably so. I believe that the RR is more capable. I got off road only about 30% of the time but the features on the RR were excellent. I did drive the trail edition before I bought the Limited and since I had yet to turn my RR in was able to do a comparison. I particularly liked the height adjustment feature combined with the multi program drive train options available with the RR. A couple years back I was out hunting and buried the RR almost to the axles in a muddy field. Dialed in mud and ruts and raised the vehicle to the highest position and crawled out and home in time for dinner. It was a truly outstanding performer.

The RR was also much more comfortable and quiet and extremely solid. Workmanship and ergonomics were also much better. The real downside to the RR is reliability...I had several issues and the dealer was a long drive away.

That said though the 4Runner is an ok vehicle for what it is intended to do. It is good basic transportation at a much lower price point. I have had ok experience in snow although the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II's have poor stopping qualities on light snow and ice. This is the only manufactured tire for the 20" limited that I can find so "selection" is not good. I have been off road and my experience has been ok...maybe the tires are the problem but the 4R is not as nimble and responsive as the RR...it does get you from point A to point B though.

IMHO Toyota build quality has suffered in recent years. I have owned toys in one form or another since my 1980 tercel so I have had more experience than most with toys. They are generally reliable workhorses but interior materials, sheet metal fabrication and general workmanship (fit) are not what they used to be. The 4R is good example of this, very tinny door and hood construction for a 40K truck. Although the ride is smooth for the most part.

Now one might ask...why go to a 4R when the RR was superior? Let me put it this way...college and HS tuition bills are getting close to six figures...so the math ruled the day. When the kids are off on their own a RR will be in the driveway again.

Hope this helps
    edited February 2010
    btw, mine came with yokohoma geolander 245/60-20 g96 on the 20" rims so there is at least one other option over the bridgestones. have done well in ice and snow for me so far. got about 5k on mine. and yeah, a RR is definately going to be a nicer ride. not sure you can really compare the two...different class of vehicle. maybe a better comparison would be the land cruiser.
    edited February 2010
    ...well, let me put it in this way, I would not even consider to compare or even own a RR even if it was given to me 100% free... and of course, nothing can beat the real beast --> its name is 2010 4Runner :shades:
    The 4Runner front seats have never been known for "comfort". They are hard at best, and don't support much. I have an '05 Sport.
    Which year and Model RR and what real life driving experience do you base your conclusion upon?
    Second time in a week the check engine light came on (along with the Vehicle stability control light). First trip to the dealer for me after purchase was to deal with the first event. To summarize, there were two codes, 1 for a vacuum problem, they blamed the gas cap. 2. prolonged start issue. After a check and reset of the system, I went on my way. 4 days later the check engine light is on again. This time I did not refuel and I was driving it the entire time, there wasn't a start engine problem I could point, ie hard to start. Any one have same issue?
  • warrebwarreb Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone had the following experience? Today, I engaged the parking brake at low speed (to test its capability to stop the vehicle in an emergency). After stopping and turning off the engine, I moved the shift lever to "park" and restarted. Although I had disengaged the parking brake, the shift lever refused to budge from the parked position. I fussed with the parking brake (engaging and releasing it several times, sometimes with the engine on, other times with it off) and finally was able to get the shift lever to move out of park.

My guess is a switch on the parking brake that, when engaged causes the transmission to lock in park. Perhaps the adjustment of this switch is "on the edge." Any other ideas? Could there be any electronic memory involved?
    never mind. I took my 2010 SR5 4Runner to dealer today. Looks like they are going to replace the evaporative system canister, even though the system checks out during computer check. I am glad they found something to replace as the gas mileage dropped about 2mpg overall, maybe more.
    Has anyone personally changed the oil on their 2010. Is it easier or harder than the 2009 V8 4-Runner? Likewise more gas milage numbers would be interesting.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I think it is ok to change oil 3000- 5000 miles for the brand new car. new cars have special break in oil.. I have 2006 camry v6 and changed oil at 5000 miles.. it is now 174,000 miles. I have no problems with the engine..
  • evergreenpearlevergreenpearl Member Posts: 4
    I followed this page from September until I drove a new Limited for a day back in February. It made too much noise above 65mph, the hood vibrated at sub-highway speeds, and the was a rattle in the dashboard. I negotiated that day, but did not buy. It is not a good enough value to replace the 97 model I've had since new, and the color choices are depressing. Anyone else want to chime in?
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Yeah, a lot of folks agree the 5th gen has been dumbed down from the 4th. I blame it on the shrinking value of the dollar to the yen, especially over the past three years. The result was a fair amount of de-contenting in the latest generation.
    As an avid 4-Runner owner I was definitely going to buy the 2010, but when I looked close I was actually shocked. Forget the debates on the looks. Toyota did not give the customers the latest technology in their own stable, 6spd tranny, small V8 (2010 lexus 460 has the same frame as the 4-runner with the goodies), locking gas cap, LED tail lights, and many more. Why no KDSS in the Limited. With KIA stopping Borrego production, Toyota must thinks they have the only show in town for a serious 4x4. They did throw in a few useless trinkets, such as the sliding cargo floor and tailgate stereo switch. Will be interesting to see how long diehard 4-Runner fans hangin or wait for a current technology quality 4-Runner product.
  • mobjackmobjack Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone been able to successfully install Sirius satellite radio in the new 4Runner? Unfortunately XM is standard on all the 2010 models receivers and they are not capable of interacting with Sirius. As of right now, there are no standard adapter kits that allow for a post-factory JVC/Kenwood/Alpine etc. installation.
    I've heard of some users hooking in the Stiletto, but even then the FM transponder to the deck doesn't sound as great as the direct hard wiring.
    Thanks for any help.
    Tang:

Have to agree with you. Have had my limited now for 5 months and although it works fine and gets me around it is typical toyota..dumbed down tinny version of what it could be. But I went into it with eyes wide open. I owned a 2006 land cruiser for a year or so and at that time the LC had very few of the technological advances avaialable to a $60K+ "off road capable" truck. That is just what toyota does i guess...they make it and if you like it you buy it, if you dont they do little to change it to what it could be.
    Does your Limited get 20+ miles per gallon? I always assume the limited has the best they have to offer, yet it does not have KDSS. What is weid is there is so little traffic on the 4-runner boards and no reviews of the Limited only the Trail. So, I suspect people aren't estatic with them or they would be sharing their excitement. I am still considering a limited, but may wait to see if they dump the Lexus 460 drive train in it. That would make the 4-Runner awesum.
    The reason(s) people are not enthusiastic are a lack of a V8, nothing special about the redesign, and Toyota's current (perceived) problems.

The only good thing is they can be had for a very good deal if you wish to buy one.

If you don't need an off road vehicle, there are crossovers that ride a lot better, and have an availability of AWD.

Body on frame SUV's that can't haul anything and get less than spectacular miles-per-gallon are falling out of favor.

If you need hauling then the Ford Expedition is one of the best SUVs to buy.

Not knocking Toyota, I have an '05-V8 Sport 4Runner. But it's all reality that I have shared.