Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have already seen the article. It is a promising sign for those who actually need the extra power, but for me I would take the four banger.
  • greenjeanzgreenjeanz Member Posts: 18
    Yeah,I'm waiting for a 4 cylinder too,,,,,diesel that is.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I also have read all about the new V8 in the Colorado but my local chevy dealer says that there will be no V8 for the Colorado this year. He says that all of the reps. he has talked to says " no V8". I guess we will just have to wait and see.
  • donn2390donn2390 Member Posts: 23
    "my local chevy dealer says that there will be no V8 for the Colorado this year. He says that all of the reps. he has talked to says " no V8"."
    ...and they will continue to say that until the "V8" lands on their lot.! The first rules of a salesman is, "Sell what you have!" They aren't about to say "don't buy a truck from me, wait a couple of months until the V8 comes out!" Truthful salesmen usually starve to death, that's why there are none left..! :)
    If you have to ask somebody about this,your better off talking to someone in the service dept,not the sales dept.I recently asked about the rumor of a 4 cyl.diesel in the 09,or 10 colorado.He said it may not be a Iszuzu(sp) diesel.That in itself sounds promising.I do know they will have one,just not sure when.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I asked my dealer again today and they still say " no V8 for Colorado" Maybe next year. :cry:
    I don't know what to say other than you can see that link above that says otherwise. Also a search on the internet will also reveal the V8 information.
    As I have said before,the dealers don't always have the latest info,especially the sales dept.Altough you would think they would be the first to know.I do believe that the V-8 is coming for next year(08).The truck is big enough to handle it,with an auto trans.If it does have cylinder deactivation,should be as economical as my 4 banger,or close to it.I am patiently awaiting the diesel colorado,sigh.
    My information is that the V8 will be available as a mid year model, coming out in January 08. Asking a salesman is a waste of your time and energy. They have no clue what is going on in their industry, and don't really care. Yesterday they were selling computers, and tomorrow they will be selling vacuum cleaners. The few that might know anything are not going to tell you the truth. They want to sell trucks today, not six months from now..! It's not smart, from their perspective, to tell people not to buy a truck now, why not wait six months so we can all starve to death,,,,!!
    Just be patient and wait like I am doing. I would love to buy a new truck today, but I wouldn't be happy if I bought one and then see the V8's arrive in a few months.
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    The V8 is confirmed on the GMC Canyon site.

http://www.gmc.com/canyon/canyon/specsStandard.jsp
    I saw the news on autob--g. I figured this to be the case.
    Now I just have to wait for the diesel version to come out.Hopefully they'll offer a V-6 turbo.
    Well, GM comes out with the smaller Duratech V8 for the 1500 series trucks this coming year, but I doubt a V6 diesel will arrive anytime soon for the mid-size. Likely if a diesel does find its way to the Colorado/Canyon, it will be an Isuzu 4-cylinder. Isuzu is probably the biggest maker of small diesel engines and has some pretty powerful diesels for 4-cylinder. Back when the S10's came out, as with Ford Ranger's, there was some diesels available but Americans showed little interest and they were dropped. A friend drove a Chevy Chevette diesel for a parts store back in the 1980's and that thing would chirp the tires.
    I know they'll come out with a small diesel,but not sure if it will be an Izsuzu,as they will likely be suppling Toyota.
    I bought my wife the Jeep Liberty diesel last year,and it's a neck snapper for sure.Plus we get 30+mpg.Not bad for a 2 ton 4X4.I'll wait and see whats offered for 09/10.
  • mark4biodieselmark4biodiesel Member Posts: 22
    The Chev Colorado diesel is a 4 cylinder. There are 2 versions, both turbocharged and intercooled. The smaller is 2.5 liters but is not offered with an automatic. The bigger is 3 liters, also 4 cyl. The power rating for 2007 models is boosted from previous years. Now it ( 3 L ) is 162 HP and 265 foot pounds of torque. The diesels were offered when the new truck first came out in Asia in 2003. The Colorado was designed to be an Isuzu truck first then Chev & GMC used the same truck. They are referred to as one ton trucks but they only haul about 1600 pounds in Asia. Now for a very big treat. You all must promise to put me on your Christmas list, OK? This is a link to the GM website in Australia. Forget what you read about the gas engines. They use the same diesels. This promo video is about 11 minutes long. It takes about 30 seconds to boot in on my high speed. If you want one of these diesel colorado's with the 4 doors, auto and air, i can bring them here if you own a farm or a mine or if you don't mind, Panama licence plates. they will be about $26,000. Contact me at mark4biodiesel@yahoo.com LOOK FOR THE RODEO VIDEO
    AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE WHEN IT OPENS.
    TRANSLATION FROM AUSSIE TO ENGLISH IS BETTER HELPED WITH SOME FRESH BBQ ROO AND SOME SUDS.
    http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=9006
    There is the American looking Isuzu p/u, and the Asian looking Isuzu p/u which has been out at the beginning as well. They are both sharing the same bodies with the Americans, accept the Asian version has the best front end of the four including Canyon & Colorado. It looks somewhat Toyota like. The Isuzu Asian one is called I/Max or something like that.

This truck is probably not legal here emission wise to get legally licensed not to mention the warranty would probably be void.
    Here is the Japanese version. It's actually called D-Max. The Canyon/Colorado version will supposedly be restyle for 2010.

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/dmax/index.html
  • lglezlglez Member Posts: 5
    you seem to know a lot I love chevy colorado but dont have a clue!!! do you know when is the colorado version or model going to change?,some people say that every 5 years the models change and the colorado got out in 2004 so in 2009 will be 5 years. please is you know answer, because I am plannig to buy one nexte year but if its going to change in 2009 I will wait!!! thanks...
    Because of your post etiquette, I will no longer comment on your questions.
    I didn't see a reply that would warrant your reply. The guy is asking a question and you get all huffy..! Maybe you better read again what he said. Either you missed something, or I did...
    Chill out, the guy wants to know, and asked a question....
    "you seem to know a lot I love chevy colorado but dont have a clue!!!"

I don't see myself getting huffy as you say, I put it quite simple.

Well if you think this is a normal response to someone's simple reply, you obviously either missed this, or you fall into the same catagory and need to re-evaluate general rules and policies of internet posting.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I also don't get it. "You seem to know a lot." Sounds like he is giving you a big pat on the back. Then he goes on to say he loves the Colorado but doesn't have a clue when the next big change is. I don't see what he did to get you all wound up. If anything you are the one in the wrong.
    Thanx for the offer.I'll wait for my local dealer to get them in stock.That will probably be in late 08,or early 09.The two different diesel options you mentioned might not even be available here in the states,at all.Ideally,I would love a big 4 (3.0L)or a v-6 option.5 speed auto would be great too,a 6 speed auto would be mo betta!! I really like the Colorado.The size is right,the G-80 locker is awesome,and I like the styling.A diesel option,and a better interior would go a long way to improve it.
    I AM SORRY!!! :( YOU GOT ME ALL WRONG...WHAT I TRIED TO SAY ITS THAT I LOVE THE COLORADO AND I WANT TO GET ONE BUT PEOPLE TELL THAT EVERY 5 YEARS THE MODEL OR STYLE CHANGES SO IN 2009 WILL BE 5 YEARS WITH THE SAME STYLE...AND SINCE I WAS PLANNING TO BUY A 2008 COLORADO I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO CHANGE IT IN 2009...MY QUESTION WAS THAT IF YOU KNOW WHEN IS THE STYLE OR MODEL CHANGING?...BECAUSE I DONT HAVE A CLUE OR I DONT KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!!! I DIDNT WANT TO OFFEND ANY ONE!!! :D
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    Takes all kinds doesn't it poncho167?
    There is aways a sore [non-permissible content removed] in every crowd.
    Sorry Iglez, I just read it wrong. I haven't looked recently but there is probably other information on google or elsewhere. I got my info. on autob--g.com.
    helloo!!!!.............who knows when the chevy colorado will be restyle????....please if someone has this info i will apreciate it :shades: thanks!!!!!
    and the colorado v8??.........in the chevrolet.com site worldwide venezuela and colombia theres a LUV D-max...is this the future colorado???? :confuse:
    I just saw on an auto news website that the V8 model is going to be delayed one year until 2009. I don't know if it will be a 2009 model or come out in 2009.
    I wonder what the delay could be.The engine has been around for years.The computer management system too.Did they say anything about the diesel thats supposed to be coming in 09?
    No the article was just about the V8. The 5.3L engine is used in a lot of vehicles so my thoughts were of a manufacturing shortage because its also used by Isuzu and some other foreign companies as well. GM outsources Honda's 3.5L V6 for the Vue until they had enough of their own 3.6L engines to replace it.

I am not aware of a Colorado diesel other than in other countries. GM's new Duratec 4.6L or whatever size diesel it is is for the full-sized trucks and utilities as far as I know.
    OOHH OK THANKS FOR THE INFO... ON THE V8 ..... BUT THERES NO NEWS ABOUT WHEN THE COLORADO IS GETTING RESTYLE...... I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE POSSIBLE AND NOTHING...... :confuse: ... SOME SAY IT WILL BE IN 2010 ... !!!
    Oh well,they will get it together eventually.GM will be coming out with a diesel version of the Colorado for the USA,just don't know when.Whoever comes out with a small diesel truck will basicly own the truck sales here,for years.I get a big discount with Ford(X-Plan),but I really like the Colorado better then the Ranger,so I bought one.My next truck,I would like it to be the diesel version of the Colorado,but whoever comes out with a small 4X4 diesel,will have my bidness.Happy Thanksgiving everyone
    If you guys read my posts from day one, you will see that propane is a much beter option as any of the existing gasoline engines can be converted aftermarket.
    There are no savings for diesel fuel when compared to the pump price of propane, performance and government tax breaks bot federal and state or province.
    Diesel fuel 20 years ago was half the price of gasoline but now it cost more. A LPG fueld engine will last longer than a diesel with less wear, cleaner emissions, less maintence and significantly less cost per mile to operate.
    Any person who thinks diesel is better is blowing smoke and when you have driven commercial cars and trucks on both fuels totaling 1/1/2 million miles, then you are qualified to disagree with me. I have used LPG for 26 years as of 2008 in cars and trucks and fleet discounts off pump prices are significant. Most trucking compnaies used to get significant diesel fuel discounts from the majors but that was then and this is 2008. The old is dead, desisted, gone, expired, DOA, and non existant, just like that damm MP parrot. Wake up guys and smell the coffee, OPEC does not control LPG but they do control gasoline and diesel fuel prices. How do we let Mexico stay part of NAFTA when they are full members of OPEC?
    LPG is supplied by more than the majors and therefore thy lost control of it 35 years ago. They used to give it away free in Alberta 30 years ago because it costs money to store it for long periods.
    Propane is 105 octane and we all know how well the engines run today with high octane gasoline and the computer knock sensors. They produce 2% more power than gasoline with the latest port fuel injection systems and loose about 10% MPG due to the much lower BTU of propane. Trust me, when you you see the engine oil stay clean for 3,000 miles on LPG, theyyou cnnot compae diesel oil which turns dark within about 100 miles.
    Diesel fumes cause brain cancer which causes dementia so i expect you all to yell at me....lol Go ahead and yell, you may wake yourselves up...lol
    I have experience in diesels pal.I drove long haul for years pulling double tankers.In short,it ain't my first rodeo.I also have a diesel tractor weighing in at a bit over 2 1/2 tons that I need to haul to jobs locally.In the long run,I doubt the engine running on propane would last.It is still a frail GAS engine despite the conversion.Gas engines just aren't built with strong enough parts to haul heavy loads on a daily basis.Yes,propane is cheaper,but not by much here.I would rather run b-50 or higher biodiesel.
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    I agree that Propane would be a better way for us to go for the the vehicles that most consumers drive.
    Let the big rigs stay with diesel where it belongs and or other heavy duty uses.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    this discussion is about V8s in the Colorado and Canyon. Thanks!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jsouthjsouth Member Posts: 13
    I heard that the V8 would be in the 2008 in March but now someone said it would be 2009, I guess you can hear anything. We will just have to wait and see or if anyone else knows out there please tell us.
    Hank Hill will definately support you on that propane fuel.
    Has anyone even seen the V-8 Colorado yet? Last I checked,the I-5 is still the biggest engine option.
    -greenjeans
  • brianmabrianma Member Posts: 17
    I did a lot of research on what this could entail as I'm very close to buying a 2008 Colorado. The best sources for model changes are the suppliers, as they need lead times of at least 6 months to get the prototypes built for testing on the assembly line. Looking at models from sister companies sharing the underpinnings is another way to look ahead. Wards has listed very few 355 platform contracts. Due to key interior supplier for the 355 platform Plastech going into bankruptcy, GM will most likely have little chance to get much new into the interior of the Colorado/Canyon/Hummer (Isuzu is dead as of July so not in the mix). Exterior changes appear to be in the front fascia with the rumor being a new face like a junior Silverado/Sierra being the sole 2009 change. The H3t interior showed very few new items with a prototype multi-function steering wheel the biggest change. Under the hood will most likely include the rumored V-8 with displacement on demand technology and a revised shift on the fly 4x4 setup. A diesel is most likely not in the early 2009 build mix based on the lack of contracts for key diesel accessory pieces. Some 2.9 L 4 cylinder changes indicate the engine may be ULEV/50 state for 2009 in all trim levels. General appears to have the tire contract into 2009 based on volumes contracted. A third suspension option appears to be part of the V-8 package and has been contracted. That's all I could find in the quasi-public domain. Unless you want a V-8, I don't think it's worth waiting for the 2009 models.
    The pump price of propane has been dropping for the past 4 weeks and the pump price of diesel has risen for the last 2 weeks. The point i make on a continual basis, as a heavy truck driver and user also of LPG for 26 years in commercial vehicles, is that there is no contest in the SMART decision about which engine is better.
    Years ago, local governments could get very long term fuel contracts for diesel fuel and gasoline for their fleets. These old contracts could last as long as 2 or 3 years but now most contracts are only 1 to 3 months. This changes everything because you can still get long term contracts for propane. Again, i mean 2 year contracts.
    All diesel trucks now come from the factory with catylitic converters which added at least an extra $2,000 to the selling price on every truck. Why pay $10,000 extra now for a diesel engine on a pickup or small 5 ton truck when you can run gasoline or a combined gasoline/propane duel fuel system?
    Lets not forget the significant tax deductions for a car, bus or truck running LPG which offsets about half the cost of a propane conversion. For school buses and municipalities, they get 100% cost recovery from the Feds for a propane conversion.
    Diesels are for dino's. Are you still living in the past? How can you start a diesel engine every single time when it is minus 30 degrees? You can't.
    All the above facts speak for themselves but some people are thick headed. Some of the diesel fuel sold in North America comes from crude supplied by OPEC American hating countries.
    None of the LPG is sourced from any country that is unfriendly to the USA. OPEC does not control propane prices as the majors in the oil industry gave up on propane 40 years ago. That is why the posted pump price of propane rarely changes.
    Expect to get a 20 cent minimum discount per gallon for a propane fuel contract IF you deal directly with the major LPG companies. This means your price will be around $2.00 per U.S. gallon for propane in the winter and less in the summer months. Let's not forget that it is 105 octane and has 18% hydrogen which is why it burns so clean and completely.
    For the past 6 years now, propane port fuel injection systems have been used which gives 15 to 20% better fuel mileage than old tech propane carbs. I can put you in touch with shops in Buffalo, N.Y. and Pontiac, Mich if you want the best LPG conversion. it is a duel fuel system and leaves thae gasoline sytem in place in case you run out of propane. It automatically swtiches between fuels after it starts on gasoline. No problem there starting at minus 30 or minus 40 degrees. V8's rule.
    This is 2008, happy New Year. are you still in 1988?
    Here in Mi. yesterday the price of diesel was 3.899 compared to 3.069 for reg. Who in their right mind would pay the huge premium for a diesel in a Colorado. There would be no practical use. If you need the extra power it would provide it would be better to go to the regular pickup for a lot less than it would cost for a diesel Colorado and get a bigger V8 and besides the 80 plus cents different in fuel prices you would never make up the difference in payouts.
    The 5.3 liter V8 Colorado has been delayed til the 09 model year as the rear end had to be beefed up to handle the torque for it's intended use which is towing and street racing the ricers. LOL. JK.
    The extra weight of the beefier rear diff and axles is 60 pounds. It is all steel/iron unlike the aluminum rear in the 5 cylinder unit.
    Since the base frame is a very light duty deal, there will be some stronger cross members added with stronger gussets where the rear bolts to the frame.
    To see the new rear in the flesh, go look under an 08 baby Hummer with V8.
    If GM is smart, they will offer an SS version.
    Also I doubt GM would ever sell enough of them in todays market to cover the tooling costs.
    Mark4, what kind of propane vehicle do you have? Up until recently GM had a S10 and Ford I believe had a Ranger propane fleet model.
    Factory propane conversions cost too much as witness the Dodge full size van and Chev/GMC factory LPG options in the past. They ended up costing at least $1,500 more than aftermarket LPG conversions. Remember how Americans love to sue each other and blame the car makers when they crash a car or truck and get injured. This is one reason that factory propane and natural gas options cost way more than they should...in the past.
    Ford dropped the CNG option on it's full size Crown Victoria because natural gas gives poor fuel mileage compared to propane. CNG also produces less horsepower than LPG and anyone who wanted to run a cleaner greener vehicle looks at where they can get fuel when travelling long distances. CNG never worked in that regard but propane is readily available in every city and in many farm areas at farmers co-ops.
    There is a LPG conversion shop close to me that i have used for 26 years for conversions and any minor problems which have been nothing to speak of over the years. That shop maintains over 800 car, trucks, buses taxi's and airport limos. They have been in business for 34 years now and they know what they are doing. Six years ago in January, they were chosen to be the first shop to install a port fuel injection system.
    That system is dual fuel and heats the LPG inside a very small section of the end of the fuel tank. The car starts on gasoline and after the water temperature gets to about 80 degrees, it will switch automatically to LPG sending warm propane to the fuel injectors. This allows very long life for the fuel injectors with a 300,000 to 400,000 mile lifespan. Sending very cold liquid propane to the engine does not make good sense as it is so cold, it will burn you when putting it into the tank if you do not wear gloves when handling the hose.
    That is why the LPG liquid injection system does not get good fuel mileage as it cools down the engine.
    Another factor is performance in which warmed up propane works better. Remember heat is energy and the hotter most engines run ( within reason ) the better HP and torque they will have. We used to add a hotter thermostat in the winter months ( 200 degrees ) on propane and a cooler one in the summer ( 180 degrees ).
    This was for commercial operations where the car or truck was running non stop for 10 or 11 hours on end per shift. We always threw the old thermostat away, so twice a year the car would never ever have a problem with stuck units causing overheating and major downtime ( and cooked transmissions). Time is money so throw that cheap metal $6 thingie away and save thousands.
    The only problem ( once ) i had was the LPG fuel filter which slowed the car or truck down ( V8 Chev ) when it was dirty much sooner than expected. I suspect because the fuel tank was not properly cleaned out at the factory.
    All the 2006 and up GM and Ford/Lincoln with V8's have a higher compression ratio than in the past and you need that to take the best advantage of the 105 octane of propane. The engine computer will advance the timing to take advantage of the 105 octane giving better fuel mileage and performance.
    Most of the airport taxi's and limos put on 400,000 miles in 5 years so there is a lot of feedback for these LPG port fuel injection systems over the past 6 years. They get at least 15% better fuel mileage than the old type propane carb type of fuel system and that means thousands of dollars in fuel savings and better performance.
    I have driven over 80 commercial cars and trucks on LPG. Go with a bigger engine if you have an engine option for your car or truck and buy a bigger car so you can have some trunk space left after you add the propane tank. Send me a message before you decide to buy a New car or truck and i will give you some great advice.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Again, this discussion is about V8s in the Colorado and Canyon. Feel free to start a discussion on LPG in the appropriate make/model groups.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
    Mark4, thanks for the info, it was very interesting. I will definately think about it in a future vehicle.
    RE:LPG I'm in a bit of a hurry so i haven't checked my last few posts today but do not forget the tax breaks that you get from the Feds and your State governments.
    The smallest amount for U.S.A. Fed tax deduction is $3,000 for any car, truck, or bus under 5,000 pounds gross weight and must be claimed the same year you do the propane conversion. That amount jumps to $5,000 up to 9,999 pounds gross weight and gets serious for vehiclea over 14,500 pounds which includes the new 2009 Chev/GMC 4500 series cubevan and same the for the Ford as well as the ( maybe ) the Isuzu/Chev/GMC small tilt cab cubevans and of course the Chev?GMC
    Topkick type which have at least a 17,500 pound gross weight rating and also a great big block RAT motor ( porcupine ) of 496 cubic inches and 8.1 liters with a compression ratio of 9.1 to one as the standard engine. GM recommends this engine for propane in all it's Topkick literature and you also gives you a six speed automatic trans with a double overdrive. That is all standard on the Topkick and makes it cheaper to buy than most one ton trucks. They offer a 4 door option and even 4 wheel drive too and the sticker is only about $29,000 for the base model with the Rat motor. You can order air ride seats with an electric pump for the front seats right from the factory. Yaaaa. The C4500 can have a gross tow rating of 26,000 pounds when you order the 19,000 suspension. A nice aftermarket turbo with the propane will give about 650 foot pounds of torque at only 2800 RPM which is right at the proper speed for passing on the highway. Even with the propane conversion, a single or twin 40 gallon propane tank and the turbo charger, IT'S STILL CHEAPER THAN ORDERING THE TRUCK WITH A DIESEL. WOW.
    With the double overdrive automatic 6 speed trans, you will be only reving about 1,700 to 1,900 RPM on the highway and still have torque right in the sweet spot.
This discussion has been closed.