Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Noises and Sounds

13»

Comments

• ca15834ca15834 Member Posts: 2
    i created an account on here because of this blog. I have an 03 pilot with 151k on it and i love it, ive had all of the talked about problems and a whole lot more but i have the keys to the local mechanics shop so i go there after hours and tinker with my pilot. im in college so i dont have the cash to be paying diagnostic test being run on my vehicle everytime something comes up. i have the shuttering problem...happens when the vehicle is trying to decide to come out of overdrive back down a gear...its like its confusing itself and not sending the right fluid pressure to let it shift properly or maintain overdrive. (this is a torque converter problem). my mother had an 04 with 118k on it and my buddy worked at honda and told me that it was a torque converter and not the entire transmission....i also have the tac needle movement and havent diagnosed it. i have a hunch that it is electrical. a surge in power by the alternator can cause this...or so im told by my home town mech. i havent heard any puffs of air or anything like that, just the normal slight sound of the engine going from 1400 rmps to 1600...other than that nothing. so far my vehicle has had all routine maintainance done by the book bc ive only owned it about 10 months....but i was a mech in the navy so im gonna try from here. other things to look out for noise wise is almost a bed spring sort of noise when coming off of an uneven surface. this is just a spring shifting usually happens when the last tire is joining the other three on the even surface. only happens at very slow speeds usually under 5 mph. i will keep you posted on these problems and let you know if i figure them out. right now im experiencing very loud rumbling on the road. my tires could be just really worn but it almost sounds like wheel barings. i changed all 4 three months ago so id like to think its not. im gonna drain and change the differential fluid and see what that does....
  • tennesseepilottennesseepilot Member Posts: 7
    Well, @ 101.5K miles I had my '03 Pilot in for her new timing belt, water pump, and tensioner at the end of Sep. Per these threads, I also asked them to check the engine mounts. The engine mounts were all fine and I didn't detect any snorting noise/tach movement for the first few weeks. But now for the last few weeks I'll still hear an occasional snort @ ~ 45-48 MPH. Doesn't happen quite as often or as loud as in prior 6 mos but still there. Not sure what to do...will replace plugs, etc. at the next oil change but have already changed out transmission fluid, rear differential fluid, and now the timing belt, etc. but still there yet less noticeable. Will continue to monitor but still no firm resolution thus far...
  • wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    I have about 5,000 miles on my Pilot and when I hit about 50 mph and increase speed or hit 50 mph and take my foot off the gas and let car decelerate I haer an moanining type of sound from the fron of the car, seems to come from the tires. Does this sound like a problem with the bearings?

Has anyone else had this issue?
  • kliberty17kliberty17 Member Posts: 2
    omg! its the idle valve EAC control unit. common problem on odysseys and pilots. causes fantom revvings and intake gusts at random occasions and rpms.
  • tennesseepilottennesseepilot Member Posts: 7
    I'm not familiar with EAC control unit...is it an expensive part and labor to replace? What happens if you ignore it - will it get worse damage anything else? This is the 1st I've heard a potential root cause on this issue...and how did you learn this? Thx for any insights you can share with us Pilot owners...
  • hoss33hoss33 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Honda Pilot EXL w/ 137,000 miles. Around 45 mph, it sounds as thought I am driving over rumble strips/ speed bumps (?). I am not sure if it is from the front or rear. I have replaced left front wheel bearing and tie rod ends, flushed the differential and the transmission fluid. When a TECH rides with me-there is no sound that we cn hear. But it is still there and I wonder what it might be.
  • fountainheamnfountainheamn Member Posts: 1
    So it has been a year, what happened?

I have the exact same issue. Thanks.
  • needhondahelpneedhondahelp Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there own a 2012 Honda Pilot that moans and vibrates under the floorboard when the car is idling and the A/C is on and the issue goes away when the A/C is turned off? What are your findings and results?
  • rglockrglock Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2012 Honda Pilot EXL 4WD with about 10,500 miles on it. We brought the truck to the dealer for an oil and filter change and also told them to checkout a noise and vibration from the passanger floor. It only happens when the AC cycles on. The dealer first replaced the compressor on Tueasday then replaced the serpentine belt tensioner on Wednesday. Still no luck. they have placed a call into Honda's tech line and Honda is aware of the problem but they do not as of yet have a solution. Someone from corporate is comming next week to take a look at the truck. If you have this same noise make sure the dealer just doesn't start replacing parts at random. Honda doesn't even know how to fix it yet.
    Please feel free to read my post I submitted this week. I was at the dealer and they just started to replace parts, atarting with the AC compressor and the tensioner pully. After the noise did not go away they called HONDA. Honda is aware of the problem but do not have a TSB for the issue as of yet. You and I are going to have to live with the problem until they come up with a solution. They noise in our car started at about 10,000 miles.
  • ahazeahaze Member Posts: 1
    Keep me updated. Iam picking up mine Tom. From the dealership. Same issue. They replaced the power steering pump. But no luck and same explanation about callingmthe tech line. Should I - ask the representative in thisnare to look at it. Help. I
    This mynfirst time buying a car.
    Just got a call from the Honda dealer today. They have been great! Honda is aware of the problem and it is only on the 2012 Pilots. R&D are working on the problem and have yet to come up with a solution. They are taking lists of customers names and once a solution ie: bracket or retrofit is made they will issue a TSB and get the trucks into service and fix the affe3cted trucks.
  • bill2020bill2020 Member Posts: 2
    I am going through the same issue as we speak. I opened a case with Honda as well and they are stating it is under investigation. I heard it will be sometime before getting a fix if any.
  • toiletducktoiletduck Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    I have 2012 pilot touring 4wd. in Illinois purchased 6 months ago. i started complaining few weeks after we used the ac for the first time in april 2012 . same issues as you have. opened up a case number from america honda but its been several months. i keep following up every month, but still no fix. i guess we just have to live with it. i am really disappointed .
  • tuan869tuan869 Member Posts: 5
    Same here i got it in November, (2012 EX-L) I started to hear the noise and vibration at around 5k miles, dealer replace AC compressor but not help they call HOnda but no solutions yet its been 9 months without solutions im not sure if Honda even care??? yet i do check with them once every week to see if they come up with anything but as of today OCT, 11 NO LUCK !!!
    Do we really have to live with it? where is the law?
    I believed all 2012 Honda Pilot having this issues, so if you planing to buy think twice, Honda aware of the problem but let see how long until they found a solution
    i guess i will ok without AC for now here in ILLINOIS . i am hoping by April 2013 that there will be a fix cause by then we will be needing AC again and hear that annoying sound. Lemon Law ???? i dont know anymore. no more HONDA for now
    This noise will still bother you all winter long. Your defroster works with the AC on and not the AC off. So at start up while you are waiting for the windows to defrost the moise will still be there. It may also be magnified due to the lower outside temperature. I am still waiting for a fix for this problem as well. I do not want to go through arbitration with Honda but it may come to that.
  • thewizzzrdthewizzzrd Member Posts: 3
    here is a copy of the letter I faxed to Honda's executive office.
    : I have recently purchased a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring, that is producing a loud humming noise and vibration when the A/C unit is running.
    My case # is N012012-10-2301318
    For over nine months now, based on the research I have conducted Honda has been aware of the problem of a annoyingly loud humming noise accompanied by a vibration in the gas pedal and brake pedal when running the A/C unit. I have addressed this issue with the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and was told the problem was due to the bracket holding the power steering reservoir. However, Honda has not come up with a fix for this issue. Today, I contacted your 800 # to get a case # even though my dealership has put my name on their list as well. My concern is very simple. I purchased this vehicle in good faith, that I was dealing with a leader in the automotive industry. One that would not under any circumstance allow any issue to go uncorrected, yet I cannot get anybody to even tell me if Honda is working on the problem, will fix the problem, how much longer it will take to correct the problem or will do nothing about the problem. I find the lack of information to your consumers to be of the utmost concern. If you are not aware of the problem, then you are not listening and or reading about the many complaints about this issue.
    I would sincerely appreciate if somebody who is responsible for insuring that issues of this type are addressed, would contact me with an update as to how much longer I will have to deal with this issue.

Sincerely,

A.Michael Scavone
    Great to hear we all have to make it big so they put this to RECALL list ASAP
    Ive file complaint with BBB auto line and Highway safety what else can i do? any advice?
  • janddjandd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Honda Pilot. In the past month, I notice a sloshing sound when making turns or curves. It sounds like a half-filled bottle being turned upside down. The noise sounds to me like it's coming from the interior center console area. I took the vehicle to the dealer. The mechanic also heard the noise when he drove it. He says it is not from the gas tank, but thought it sounded as if it was coming from the roof or interior passenger side second row area. He checked the A/C drains and they were clear. They seem to think the problem might be a clogged sunroof drain and want to remove the interior roof to access those drains and check.
    Before I let them do that, I was hoping someone might have some thoughts or ideas as to what the casue could be. Again, I only hear this sloshing noise when I make turns and not everytime, it's only been happening the past month or so, there is no wetness or moisture anywhere on the interior of the vehicle. The only thing thats different the past month is that I've benn running the heater when needed, but i don't smell antifreeze. I feel the noise is coming from the interior center console area but the mechanic thinks its coming from above as in the roof area. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!
  • szkrey1szkrey1 Member Posts: 1
    just leased a brand new 2013 EX-L. 250 miles on it, and it makes a loud thump/knock when put into reverse to back out of drive way. Also, makes a sort of rattle sometimes when turning or when first getting onto the street from our driveway.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I've had that happen to me on my '06, but mostly after some heavy off-roading. A stone sometimes makes its way into the inside of one of the coil springs on the suspension and will get caught between the coil and pop out (causing the thump sound).

Easiest way to check this is just pull onto a flat surface and jack each spot up and remove the tire to see. If there is one in there then with the suspension expanded due to jacking you can just remove the stone.

Odie
  • jphowelljphowell Member Posts: 2
    Any updates here? I have the same issue from a Pilot purchaeed in July 2012.
  • keithjw48keithjw48 Member Posts: 1
    If Honda has not fixed yet, there is a simple do it yourself fix to the problem. The vibration, which I have ELIMINATED, is being transmitted to the vehicle's frame through the bracket that commonly holds both reservoirs for the power steering pump fluid and radiator overflow.

Go to Home Depot and purchase 2 flat rubber washer or o-ring. Find them in the sprinkler department. Lift up and out the radiator reservoir put off to side and loosen the 2 bracket bolts. Removing one bolt at a time, slip a rubber washer or o-ring between the metal bracket and the car's body/frame and reinsert mounting bolt loosely so that you can do put washer behind the bracket in second location. Tighten down and reinsert radiator overflow.
    no updates. sorry for the late reply. i didnt have any complaints in the winter time since i just turn ac off. now that is getting warmer well see. i may have to follow what other says regarding bracket from home depot.
    thanks will try that in the next few months when its warmer. in the winter time i just turn ac off. and defrost mode window and feet so the compressor was not on.
    there is a fix for this. contact your dealer. they will order the parts for you. and in 2 days youll have it fix. no more humming, groaning sound. just the normal AC sound. .I just had mine fix today. it took them over 2 hours.
  • hack5hack5 Member Posts: 3
    There is a fix that just came out from Honda. I'm bringing my 2012 Pilot Touring in on 5/8. I'll report back on if it solved the problem that I've had for over 1 year. I was almost ready to try to sell it.
  • jphowelljphowell Member Posts: 2
    Just touching base to see if your issue was resolved and what was done to resolve it. If it was fixed, do you have any concerns that it was just a short term "band aid" to cover up a deeper more long term issue?

I am scheduled to have my power steering pump replaced on 05/17/13.
    It seems to have worked. I'm not sure if it was a power steering pump but it was the long awaited fix specifically for this issue. Make sure your dealer is installing the approved fix which just came out. Don't have them doing a bunch of other stuff to try to fix it. Everybody has already been down that road and it didn't work.
    No response yet from Honda. I have gone back to the dealer and asked. I was told Honda will contact me first once a fix became available. The truck now has 19,000 miles on it and North Carolina Lemon law is 2 years 24,000 miles. My wife now does not like to drive the car at all. During her commute she has some idle time and all she can hear is the noise and feel the vibration. I bought her another car in January to use and am contimplating what to do with this one. I am now the primary driver of the Pilot and warm weather is here and the noise and vibration are a bit excessive.
    I don't think that Honda will contact everyone to let them know that there is a solution. I contacted Honda in June 2012 and they never got back to me. I sent a letter to my dealer 2 weeks ago (May 2013) letting them know that I was planning to get a lemon law attorney and they called back that same day saying that Honda had released a fix. They ordered the part and I took it in a few days later.

I was skeptical about the fix since the dealership called the same day that I sent the letter. However, I was very specific when asking if this was the official fix and they said yes. I think it's pretty new so your dealership might not be aware of it. They need to contact Honda or read the technical bulletins.

The car has been "fixed" for a week now and the noise is greatly reduced. Before the fix, I hated getting in the car and actually enjoyed the cold weather because I didn't have to turn the AC on. Now it is getting warmer (DC area) and I don't hear it that much. You can still hear the compressor cycling but it sounds much more like my wife's Acura than it did before. AC causes some sound in all cars.

I'm still a bit skeptical and won't call it "fixed" until it warms up to the 90 degree weather that we will get soon. But for now, I'm cautiously satisfied.

Still, this is my last Honda!
    They fixed my 2012 pilot today. New brackett, clamps and ac comprssor.
    All noises are gone.
    You meant new Power Steering Pump, not new ac compressor. right?
    You are correct they replaced the power steering pump
  • problems730problems730 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same noise that everyone is talking about when the compressor kicks on. I saw where someone posted about the power steering pump TSB and took it to the dealership and showed them. They ordered the parts and I took it today to have the service performed and NO MORE NOISE!!!!! It is the fix for the noise......
  • coreallcoreall Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    What's wrong with my AC.
    This is the sound (the file in the link):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz0_-A6q5J6oZnlHSHVEMWlWMnM/edit?usp=sharing

Initially the AC is off, at 50 sec AC ON and at 1:20 min the engine is ON.

Can you tell me what is going on?

Just in case the AC over the hood:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz0_-A6q5J6oZnlHSHVEMWlWMnM/edit?usp=sharing">

Thanks
  • micaljoel13micaljoel13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 13 Pilot with 62k miles on it. Recently added 4 new tires and now I have a whirring sound. At first I thought it was just the tires humming but am now concerned that it could be an axle or transmission issue. There is a pause in the whirring when the transmission shifts. It 
    Is coming from the front end not the back end. Is always present and is amplified over 50-60mph. Any ideas?