Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Smart Key

2»

Comments

• gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    FYI, my brother in law just paid $105 + tax for ONE '03 Accord key. Many dealers charge at least 120 + tax.
  • tsstdhtsstdh Member Posts: 11
    I thing the dealerships probably make most of their money in the shops and maybe used cars. I don't know. Anyway, it was a new car purchase so the dealership wanted to establish some goodwill. They may have been reimbursed my Nissan for the key because I did email the company about the issue. Anyway, the keyfob
    works without a battery to get the push button start to work and I can hide it in the
    car out of the weather and hide the mechanical key under the car somewhere. I haven't found a spot for it yet.
  • altima123altima123 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my 2009 Altima 2.5S in late April 09. It had been on the sales lot since fall 2008. Love it!. . . but

The "low battery" indicator light for the SmartKey FOB came on before Christmas (about 8 mos. after purchase). I replaced the battery with a new one. Now, less than 2 mos. later, the warning light is on again! What's up? Anyone else have similar problems? Thanks.
  • wh040508wh040508 Member Posts: 4
    I have only had to replace my battery once so far I have 2007. I keep mine in my purse, and I believe (and this is pure speculation on my part) when I have my purse in the back seat rather than next to me on the passenger side seat the battery drains more quickly. Is your battery/FOB often kind of hidden?
    1. you don't have to replace the battery right after you see the warning light. You can use at least a couple more months.

2. Use good batteries: Energizer or Duracell. You can find them at Walmart for decent price.
  • altima123altima123 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your above comments. The incident which generated my earlier post occurred when my key fob was in my left coat pocket, very near the ignition button. I'm still getting warning messages about low (fob) battery. On one occasion last week the car did not start at all, and a "no key" message came on. I took the key off the fob, inserted the fob in the instructed place, and the car started right up. Later that same day I forgot about the earlier problem. Got in the car with my key in my pocket, and it started right up. It's started normally ever since, but the low battery message continues to come on.

I will replace the battery at some point with a better grade battery. The recent ones I bought from Radio Shack ("good to 2016") probably are not the best. I note the ones that came with the fob originally are Panasonic.

Will appreciate any additional comments, insights. Thanks again.
  • spnspn Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any luck with your smart key not being so sensitive? My husbands goes off all the time when its in his pocket. I was thinking maybe you could get a cover for it.

Thanks
  • wh040508wh040508 Member Posts: 4
    "My Car" is the Nissan but my husband carries a fob all the time and constantly is setting off my car, other things he has done is pop the trunk open and open both front windows with the fob. Our garage is under our family room and he will set it off while we are watching TV, it is very annoying the only small benefit is it is funny to see the cat freak out. I am slowly trying to train my husband to hang his keys up when he comes home rather than leaving them in his pockets. The fob to my car is on the same key chain as the keys for his car.

Note the opening of the windows is done by some funky combination of pressing various buttons and he has figured out what ones do it but I couldn't tell you what the combination is.
  • pati524pati524 Member Posts: 1
    To open the windows touch the unlock button then touch again and hold it down. The two front windows will open and stop when you let go. Helpful on a hot summer day but unfortunate when it happens on a rainy day and you are unaware. I speak from experience. Can't even count how many times I come out to my car and the trunk is open.

It would be very helpful if Nissan would make a clip-on plastic cover to protect the buttons when in your pocket.
  • tas22tas22 Member Posts: 1
    After a couple years of no problems at all with my Altima the 'low battery' light for the key fob comes on when I start my car. Also, lately I cannot open the door when I press the button on the handle of the car unless the fob is basically touching the handle. I have changed the batteries at least three times in the last month. The key fob seems to operate remotely fine. I can lock and unlock by pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the fob itself. Also, the low battery light on the car doesn't always come on (more frequently than not it does come on though). On one occasion a 'No key' symbol came on. . .
    Wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • sknappsknapp Member Posts: 1
    HELP! The mechanical key is stuck in the ignition. The car still starts but now I'm not sure if it's because the key is in there or it is the smart key fob. Either way I can't get it out.
    Any ideas? Thanks
    If you have a smart key fob, the mechanical key is only used to open the door. I don't see there's any other place to use the mechanical key.
  • bp0771bp0771 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with the FOB for my altima, I found the below site which has a cover. I'll let you know if it works when I get mine -

http://www.keyless-remotes.com/?gclid=CJ7t7sGhqKsCFUSW7Qod8RmH2Q
  • colorbluecolorblue Member Posts: 2
    Had the same issue with my 08 Altima. Went to Walmart and replaced the battery with Rayovac's and they only lasted literally 3 weeks before the low battery alert came on again. Went to a battery store and picked up some Duracell and haven't had any issues with the iKey FOB low battery alert for about 4 months now.
  • rae1982funrae1982fun Member Posts: 1
    I have to admit I thought the key was awesome when I first got my Altima/Hybrid, but the key has been a complete mystery on too many occasions. Windows down, (all 4) and never knew, truck open too many times as well. Thanks to people with the same problem posting comments and concerns did I realize there are multiple functions when pressing the key in different combinations.
    Cool? Not really, it needs a sleeve to protect accidents like we all are experiencing. Nissan....FIX THE PROBLEMS PLEASE!!!
  • cheung_wilsoncheung_wilson Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have two 2007 Nissan Altima, both come with intelligent keys. can the fobs be re-programmed so that one key can control both cars? I hate to carry 2 fobs in my pocket.
  • murphy6605murphy6605 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Altima. The car has been acting weird since we installed a new radio. About a month after radio was installed, problems started, so maybe not because of radio? First, the intelligent key light came on, we changed the battery, no luck. When I use the right blinker, the car will all of a sudden loose power, and won't move, then all of a sudden it will get a surge of power and be fine until I use the blinker again. Also when blinker is used, the shifter indicator on the dash board will flash, so if I am in drive the "D" will flash. The right directional signal will also flash very fast, along with the directional light on the outside of the vehicle. We took out the new radio and installed the factory radio again, the car was fine for about 2 weeks and all of a sudden started with the same symptoms. I am wondering if this may be some type of electrical issue?? Also when car is in park, the Intelligent Key light comes one but only in park. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • davidkendrickdavidkendrick Member Posts: 1
    try replacing the battery in the key fob. mine did that too and that is all I had to do.
  • altima2009altima2009 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    I know it has been quite long... for you. But I got the same situation.
    Would you pls let me know how did you take out the mechanical key from the ignition?
    Thanks...