Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freelander problems are infinite

13»

Comments

• dlcole76054dlcole76054 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,

Is this problem only with 2003 Freelanders? or is it across the entire model spectrum? I'm reading about the new Evoque, with a Ford Ecoboost engine...I don't think Ford would market a lemon engine...as LR did with the Freelander engine.

Comments here will be appreciated...
  • kayotekayote Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2002 Land Rover Freelander without doing any research on the vehicle. It has 90K miles. I drove it to work. Engine light came on. Took it to a mechanic and it had three codes. Coolant temperature sensor and the other two had something to do with the intake plenum. He said the engine is no good so it sits at his garage. The seller said it was in excellent condition and he was the only owner. Carfax showed it had three owners and a replaced head gasket and two engines. I'm not buying a engine because it's more than what I paid for the car. How can I get rid of this paperweight?
  • gilmoremageegilmoremagee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 freelander with a noise in the rear diff
    the mechanic says I need a new Diff at a cost of £1000.00
    Landrover said they do not want to know as it was 5 weeks out of guarantee when they checked it
    My wife passed away suddenley 3 months before and so the Landrover was the last thing on my mind at the end of the guarantee period but still they would not listen
    Anyone have the same problem?
    If that is thier attitude with a new customer I will NEVER buy another Landrover
  • landroverlemlandroverlem Member Posts: 1
    I too have reaped the rewards of purchasing a high quality, reliable 2003 Freelander. Not only is the engine in this gem blown but the electrical is also garbage. We've replaced the solenoids in the engine, a coolant leak in the engine, and now the engine is blown and the treasure is parked. The mechanic has announced it needs a new engine which is $3000 plus the labour to install it. Best part is that this is the second engine this vehicle has had. The first one went at 30,000 kms but warranty covered it.
    The power sunroof is broken as well as a power window. I have experienced nothing but problems with this vehicle and cannot believe the quality that Landrover exhibits. I contacted Landrover who as asked for the receipts and quote for the engine but seem displeased that it is not at the Landrover dealership. Perhaps if they would like to pay the tow bill to tow the truck 2 hours to the dealership they can certainly have a look at this treasure and draw their own conclusions. The kind representative also told me that the warranty on the vehicle is only 4 years or 80,000 kms so apparently this disposable vehicle is guarateed to fall apart after that and Landrover then makes more money off the parts and labour to maintain them. This is the worst vehicle I have ever come across and now I seem to be stuck with this planter in the dooryard. I will never buy another Landrover and have no problem letting people know the quality and care that goes into their vehicle and their customer service standing behind their products. Terrible that there are so many other people that share this negative experience.
  • kat71kat71 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I found Paul (message #85" or pjohnesq) on this site and the whole process takes only about a couple of months. This was THE most simple part about my Freelander. I contacted him through email and everything was through email. He handled everything and is an incredibly down to earth, trustworthy gentleman.The process could not have been any more straightforward and I am so happy I emailed him! I thought maybe becasue the car hasn't run in over a year, or that I purchased outside of LR dealer and repaired by my mechanic I wasn't a candidate to be compensated. Landrover setrtled and check is on the way. I can not stress how easy he made all of this. I hope it helps and believe me there is nothing sweeter than receiving a check to cover all the pain and money that LR has caused! shame on them.
  • torresmichigantorresmichigan Member Posts: 1
    IF I WOULDVE KNOWN WHAT A HEARTBREAKING AND TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE, HORRIBLE PURCHASE MY FREELANDER WAS GOING TO BE....OF COURSE I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED A BIG WHEEL!!!!! THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST CAR A PERSON CAN OWN!!!! IT SITS IN MY DRIVEWAY MORE THAN I AM ABLE TO DRIVE THE DARN THING!!!!!
    I took the seller to small claims court and luckily he agreed to buy back the Freelander. This will be the last Land Rover I'll buy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Cool beans. Did the seller agree to buy it back before you actually went before the judge?
  • yano1yano1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Freeloader 2004 in 2008 and from the gong it gave trouble.I changed the thermostat, the brake pads and rotors, the ignition coils, the roof liner AND NOW THE REAR WINDOW regulators or busted the fuel pumpis busted and the engine is vibrating like crazy. I change some of the engine mounts and the viscous coupling bearings to no avail. This vehicle is driving me crazy. Anyone with solutions please HELP
    No. We went to a mediator. He didn't want to admit he was wrong about the condition of the Freelander but he agreed to refund the money.
  • mclain01fmclain01f Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Freelander back in 2006. I paid 14,000 for it with less than 40k miles. I thought, "wow, a low mileage Landrover in good condition for a decent price!" WRONG! This car has not been driven since 2007. I have some VIS power motors and scensors that are bad, already replaced the fuel pump, a drive shaft and I am not even sure if i buy these things if it will even fix the car. I have contacted Landrover and they are asking for documentation of all the work. Has anyone had any luck with contacting Landrover? Or should I just push it off a cliff?
    Thanks for the update.

On another note to the rest of the forum members, please don't post email addresses in the forums. Links are okay.
  • kimmetzgkimmetzg Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everybody,
    I own a 2005 Freelander with 50,505 miles on it and after experiencing many many issues including most recently several coolant related issues, just learned that I too, now need a new engine. After having bought the car back in 2006 from my local dealer (had been a service loaner), and having only put roughly 30k of the miles on the car myself, I'm completely disappointed to say the least. The dealer says it will cost a minimum of $10k to fix it. The vehicle came with a warranty which lasted until 2010. It sadly, has had too many warranty repairs to count and once the warranty was up it became a money put, more less. I've been in contact with Land Rover North America and am waiting to hear back from them. They seemed rather prepared for my call. I also own a 2009 LR2 and that vehicle is the complete opposite of the Freelander, so if there are any Rover loyalists left that own or had owned a Freelander the LR2 does not compare. I'm hoping I don't have to involve a lawyer to resolve this, but appreciate the info that's been posted about the lawyer that has helped others. Will repost once I learn more. The downward spiral on my car was a coolant leak that lead to the thermostat needing to be replaced, followed by a cracked hose and coolant reservoir, and now coolant mixing with the oil, which sounds like a cracked head. Oh, and I also need to replace a motor in the back driver side window (one that's had little use) which is going to cost me $700. Thanks for listening. As several mechanics told me, "Sell it while it's still running!". Not that you really want to pass this mess of a car onto anyone else.
  • yvonneb1yvonneb1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Freelander has basically been written off and the dealer has offered me up to $3000.00 in goodwill for my vehicle.
    With only ninety five thousand kilometres my vehicle was diagnosed as needing a new engine at a cost of 8000.00. To add salt to the wound the local dealer charged me over 200.00 to give me that bad news.
    I feel powerless against the power of landrover and the indifference of the customer service department that I am trying to deal with.
    I have already spent several thousand dollars on this vehicle only to be told it has experienced a known issue with the gaskets that cause coolant to leak into the engine.

Any suggestions.
  • crazyjunecrazyjune Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys I bought a 2003 Freelander last Friday I drove it Saturday and it started to over heat I call the guy I bought it from says he never had any problem with the car it has 68000 miles on it anyone help please what can I do? The saying if ony I knew came a week too early I don't have money to even start to fix anything like I heard the guys saying is wrong with. It. The guy took me to his bank and paid of is loan with the money I pay him what can I do help please'
  • da277da277 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately you are not going to like my suggestion - get rid of it...and quickly!! This is a sign of many more expensive problems to come if you don't. sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!
  • stephintorontostephintoronto Member Posts: 1
    Me too and I am so angry about it. I had the same issue with the coolant and they told me it would be $11K to replace the engine. Dealer offered me $3K out of good will. My family has bought 5 Range Rovers over the last decade-ish and this Freelander. So ANGRY I could scream. Not to mention the fact that I love my car. I'm sad to see that i'm not the only one dealing with these issues. Steph
    Hi Steph, I am sorry to hear that you have the same issue. It is a crime that LandRover continues to get away with this but they do. My only comfort is in the fact that so far I have persuaded three people not to buy a LandRover based on my experience to date. I will continue to share my story in the hope of moving people away from being place that I found myself in.
    I have a friend who suggested I organize a picket at the LandRover shop and call the media to report on the picket.
    In the meantime I am still waiting on my 3,000.00 dollar cheque from LandRover for the buy back of my vehicle. Nothing like adding salt to the wound.

Good luck to you in finding a solution to your problem.
    Yvonne
  • kesler756kesler756 Member Posts: 1
    I've never posted anything on any thread ever, but I have to voice my disappointment in this car. I'm sad that others experienced this never-running nightmare of a car, but I'm also glad someone else knows what I'm dealing with.

Did the landrover dealership offer the $3000? Because that sounds a lot better than my plan of driving it off a bridge and spitting on it as it burns. I would feel wrong to sell this car to anyone other than back to landrover due to how much money it consumes. I have been filling up the coolant every week for the past 3 weeks and I have replaced the head gasket on it before when it was still under warranty. I don't have the money/patience to do it again. Also, same thing with the window motors not working and the doors never unlocking. If the dealership doesn't buy it back, I don't know what I'll do with it. Hopefully something therapeutic. ...and legal.
  • shmeelandershmeelander Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry that happened to you. No one will say that, even from Land Rover. It's a bad car - actually got someone to tell me that but only after $3,000 worth of repairs after 5000 miles and on the heals of them telling me I needed a new engine for $11,424 installed making the value of the car worth a grand total of $4000 on the open market. Problem: car overheated - head gasket blew - engine toast - no warning. I had the car for 3 months. Freelander 2004.
  • ybkiteybkite Member Posts: 1
    Are the newer diesel Freelanders,( new engine? ),specifically 2012 models, better for reliability than the old, which seem to have had many problems?
  • lrischlrisch Member Posts: 1
    I am in desperate need of help trying to resovle a 2002 Landrover Freelander issue. I purchased this car used from Peddy's Auto Center in Roseville, Ca in March 2012. It has 92,000 miles on it. The warranty has been used up. I can't seem to get it fixed---the service engine soon light will not turn off. I paid 6,996.00 for the car and upwards of 2200 to get it fixed, and it is still not fixed. Do you think you can help me settle something with LandRover? I need a reliable car. I am high school teacher, don't have tons of money, and I need some help; mechanics and LandRover has not been helpful at all.
  • buyamerican7buyamerican7 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    I baught a 2003 Freelander and owned it for one night. At first I thought I baught it for a song (Only 68,000 miles and very very clean), and felt as if I was a part of some elite club of range rover owners, and pictured long road trips in the back country in the expanse of the great north west. Then I got home showed my wife my prize, and she instantly went to the computer and started looking at reviews. I thought there would be nothing but glowing reviews with all the comfort and warmth of reading a wonderful bed time story to my children about kittens, puppies sunshine and rainbows. Rather it was like reading the scariest Steven King novel that keeps you up all night and staring at the closed closet door expecting the boogy man. I rushed my booby prize back to the dealer the next day, and came up with some heart breaking tale about how my wife hated it so much, and I would take a more expensive Jeep off the lot so he would get a bit extra. Well when it was said and done the bit extra cost me around 310.00 dollars. By the accounts of these reviews a small sum when I see the price of repairs of the Free Lander (SUV from Hell). Well the reviews on a Jeep Liberty one year older are much more glowing, there are the few unhappy reports but they get lost amoung all the glowing ones. I feel very lucky to be out and free of this nightmare of wondering not if but when the Free Lander was going to break down, since it was just at the 68,000 mile mark, and the problems are too countless to sum up when the mileage is that high. I feel so bad for all your situations , but thank you for posting and I feel saving me from a head ache that I could definately not afford. If you have to buy a car buy American, If you cant find an American car find another way to get an American car if you cant find a good American car Buy a Toyota. Thank you all so much again.
    "so it is a bit fiddly to own a freelander and just like any britsh car there rubbish but off road you are hard pressed to find something that can do the same job as this truck." So I ask you with all these problems which is better breaking down on the highway, or miles and miles back on some wilderness road on a very cold late fall day? Unrealiable on a city road or highway is unacceptable, unrealiable in the wilderness could be deadly.
    Congratulations on getting rid of your freelander so quickly. You probably saved yourself a small fortune and a lot of heartbreak. LandRover won't give you more than 3500.00 for your freelander regardless of how new it is.

The freelander is a lemon. My LandRover shop even admitted that when I started having problems with my vehicle.

My only satisfaction is that I can share my story and have actually stopped a few people from purchasing a LandRover .

Good luck with your new vehicle.
    I am truly sorry to hear about your situation. Thank you so much for speaking up, and saving others the time and money and heart ache on one of these lemons. I feel there should be some kind of support group for you all. I can see it now a bunch of Land Rover Freelander owners sitting on a circle of folding chairs in some old church. Where old coffee is served, and doughnuts in a box passed around, while story after story of how this peice of metal has ruined so many lives, shattered so many dreams, and emptied so many bank accounts, only to be intrupted by the occasional cough or hushed cry. Its so sad to see a company not take accountability for their products. My wife just got here dream car a 2012 Chevy Travrese LT, she did a lot of research before purchase. The customer service from Chevy is the best I have experienced. Free oil changes, tire rotations, and realignment for the life of the car. The salsman gave us his phone number and we only had to dail it once to let him know our new car had no floor mats. He told us that that model did not come with floor mats, but to come in and he would have them for us anyway. My fun car the Corvette I just got it used 2001 from the Chevey dealer (different dealer) it had an issue with the air conditioning, and they set up an appointment to get it fixed at their cost, they call twice a week to make sure everything is ok as well. The Jeep I got in return for the Land Rover FREELOADER as it has been called, well the jury is still out on that one because I just got it today but by the looks of these posts I feel a lot more secure with the Jeep. I would say see the Chevy dealer in your area tell him or her your story and see what they will do. They got us out of the worst car my wife and I owned the Nissian Versa. We still owed 6700.00 on that crappy car and they gave us 10,000 in trade for it. I could go on about the Versa and how parts just seem to fall off that new car but talking to a FREELOADER owner my story will be pale in comparison. I really wish you the best of luck, and I hope things get better for you. Take care and God Bless.
  • jgalenojgaleno Member Posts: 1
    just convert your freelander to rear wheel drive use a 4.1 chevy engine and transmission with a custom made drive shaft from a trailblazer or gmc jimmy and do all the necessary adaptations and get rid of the problem will be cheaper but you need a good mechanic not just a parts changer
  • myreasonmyreason Member Posts: 1
    I wish I could get rid of mine so quickly I've be trying to sell it no luck, and trade it the price they offering me is less than what I spent on the tires. I bought it in 2008 with 60,000 miles and a month after I spent a $1000 to fix it. From then to now every 2 to 3 weeks I am fixing something on the engine. I lost count of the amount of money I've spent, but I can tell you it’s way more than the price. Please don't buy any land rover products anymore and the world will be a safe place.
  • jeebojeebo Member Posts: 1
    I purchased one of these gems in 2010 with 60k miles on it. At 93,000 the temp gauge was pegging at max and I could not keep antifreeze levels up. Took it into my mechanic and he gave me the grave news. I now have the dreaded driveway blocker that I cannot trust to drive, and cannot afford to fix (or replace the engine). Does anyone know of any relief from the LR people for this lemon?
  • givemeascreen3givemeascreen3 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get an answer from landrover. Ours has been sitting in the garage for three years!
  • givemeascreen3givemeascreen3 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get a resolution to this? I have had dozens of mechanics tell me this is a horrible vehicle....and expensive to fix. Can you imagine why anyone would want to own another?
  • huitohuito Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions on some Chinese engines, those might work better than this kv6 junk.
  • billing1billing1 Member Posts: 1

The brake lights sometimes work and sometimes do not work (cited in 2 incidents by the Police). All parts are fine (by check-up of a repair workshop), and no repair can be possibly done. Probably, the height of the brake lights above the ground is too low, so that it is sometimes too damp or wet (after snow or rain) for the brake lights to work properly. When they dry up, they work again.

Next, the 2 brake lights are on the 2 corners of the bumper, and the central brake light is high on the tailgate. Theoretically, the 3 brake lights give warning enough when the car stops. However, there are 2 tail lights are high on the fenders (the 2 sides of the car's tailgate), relatively far away from the 2 brake lights on the bumper. The 2 tail lights give a wrong impression to any drivers behind this car, and let those drivers misunderstand the tail lights to be the brake lights (even the 2 police officers misunderstood in the 2 incidents). This will cause collision in reality.

• deezy2deezy2 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    pjohnesq please help me, I feel like you are the best thing going to solve this issue, you can also feel free to email me at [Email removed], I really need your help
  • fractalfootfractalfoot Member Posts: 1
    So I made it to 135,227 miles before my Rover followed the rest of yours into oblivion. Exactly the same sequence. Poured money in ($12,000 since 2008) to maintain this vehicle to last years into the future... keep it safe, so I can load my kids and dogs in and drive in remote places, as it was supposed to be designed to do. Then, it turns out that three months before I bought this vehicle new in August 2002, LandRover knew about this head gasket catastrophe sequence. But not once did a dealer give me the option of upgrading to the newly designed head gasket and stronger parts they put in the LR2 so I would have a reasonable chance of getting home from those remote places. Luckily, for me, the dreaded moment when the engine froze came the day after I drove back on a dirt road in the middle of Quebec's Laurentians with my children in their carseats in the back. I picked up my son from kindergarten, and parked at my daughter's preschool to pick her up. Got back in, buckled in my kids, turned the key, and heard the sickening sound of metal on metal. RIPROVER.
    At least your timing was "good". :'( The Laurentians - aren't there a lot of amazing river gorges there? (it was '99 since I last drove NE out of Quebec City.

So what's next? X5 or ?