Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Release date...
    Sep 20 (Japan)

Some features...
    * ABS is standard
    * Four wheel disc brakes standard in all models
    * Vehicle Stability Assist is optional (Auto only)
    * Electronic Brake Distribution is optional
    * Moonroof (EX)
    * NAVI is optional
    * Some improvements to RT4WD system

Fullmark versus Performa...
    Earlier I thought that Fullmark was higher end model for CR-V. It isn't. Honda classified CRV based on styling and 'urban' requirements.

Fullmark has a cleaner look, with hidden spare and color-keyed bumper, and rear license plate on the center of bumper. Available only with automatic transmission, with AWD being an option.

Performa looks similar to what we will get with rear mounted spare and dark bumper ("activity" styling), and rear license plate to the left of the bumper. Available with AWD as standard feature, and automatic or manual transmission.

About three years down the road, we would get an SE version for sure, and it should look pretty much like the Fullmark, except (perhaps) the spare still mounted on the rear.

About seven exterior colors, with two interior color choices (sand and grey). Leather seating is optional (we may not get it until the SE model arrives).

The engine choice is 2.0 liter DOHC i-VTEC for JDM (also powers the Stream in Japan, base RSX and upcoming Civic SI etc.).

As far as America bound CR-V is concerned, it will have a 2.4 liter DOHC iVTEC with 160 HP and 162 lb.-ft (3600 rpm). 90% of the peak torque is available from 2000 rpm onwards (to about 6000 rpm). The redline is 6500 rpm, and a choice of 4-speed automatic and 5-speed manual. Those who would go for manual transmission will be in for a good surprise (short geared!).

I doubt Honda will increase the engine output for CR-V beyond that, atleast for now. Even with this engine, and 3318 lb (fully loaded EX) curb weight, my estimate for 0-60 mph run with manual transmission is about 8.2 seconds (more than 1 second quicker than the previous CR-V).

EPA gas mileage estimate (auto): 22 mpg/26 mpg
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Well, seems we have been... ;)

Or we could talk about the new color schemes...even though I like my Milano Red '99, the new Chianti Red with Saddle interior looks pretty cool. :D
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I spoke to my local dealer today and was quoted 3% over invoice when they arrive. This sounds reasonable, would this be a good price to pay?
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    heading out to beautiful barrie, ont. for the georgian college auto show this weekend. hope to see the new cr-v "up-close-&-personal"......will report back on monday.
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    OK, I think you guys are being a little too literal. I think Honda was speaking in general terms, the surprise being the overall redesign. I don't think there is any specific "surprise" per say, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything other than what we've learned so far....
  • shellymeister1shellymeister1 Member Posts: 52
    This week's Autoweek has a fairly lengthy review of the new CRV. Overall, they are very positive about the vehicle, including the larger engine, although they would still like to have seen a V-6 as an option.
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Robert - The American SE (or LE in Canada) is closer in spec to the D model than the Fullmark.

90% of peak torque (145 ftlbs) is available from 2200 through 5250. Here's a home grown graph which is a bit clearer than the one provided by Honda and posted at the Digital Newsroom. Hmmm.. better make this a link.
    hp and torque

Diploid - We could always chat about the spare tire location. =)

jimxo - Yes. I would expect dealers to be gouging at first, so anything under MSRP is probably a decent price.
    Tatu - I'm with you. I suspect that the surprize is out of the bag and we're already looking at it.
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Well, just got an email from Honda telling me not to buy an SUV today because the CRV is coming out in November. The email has a link to the "Camp fire" site, but when I clicked on it, I couldn't get there....Doesn't matter, since I've already checked out the site, but it looks like Honda is starting their marketing.....
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    There's a small thumbnail of a black CR-V and I swear it looks like a mini- MDX.

And yes, none of the links provided in the e-mail worked.
    noticed that the Japanese website has a picture of a nav. system.

I just hope Honda brings it all over here...the nav system, Fullmark, VSA, 3rd row...just bring it all.
  • zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    I'm wondering if the steering wheel on the 2002 feels as weird as the 2001, which I found to be way too flat when I tried it. It made feel like I was driving an 18 wheeler... I hope that changed.
    On a separate note, I called Fremont Honda in SF Bay Area, and all they told me is that they require $1,000 deposit to get one of the first ones, and did not even talk about pricing. I sent two more e-mails asking about pricing, but they never answered... I then called Anderson Honda in Palo Alto and they won't commit to a price. They claim that they are waiting to see what the market price will be, and then will beat it. So, if the market price is $2K above MSRP, that would not be too good. Then again, I can't fault them for trying to squeeze as much as they can out of the CRV/client... Basically, if I can't get it for $500 less than MSRP when it comes out, I'll wait until I can. Unfortunately, with the economy in the tank, that should not be too hard.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    While the author writes it has power to merge on freeway and climb hills. He wouldn't mind a little more ooomph.

Guess its not as good as Tribute in the speed department.
    Last generation CR-V was a tad quicker to 60 than a 4-cylinder Tribute. Done in a 3-way comparison between the Rav4, CR-V & Tribute by AutoWorld Weekly.

But yeah, a small V-6 would've been nice.

I know, I know...they're afraid it's going to steal sales away from the upcoming Honda MDX-version.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Does anybody buy the 4-cylinder Tribute?
    While most of us will complain about Honda not offering a V6 in the CR-V, and it wouldn't take much for HOnda to do that, but the positives are that the 2.4 liter I-4 is almost as powerful as some 2.5 liter V6s, and given the right gearing, it could be torquier than them too! So I guess we were hoping for a 3.0-3.2 liter V6, but then, Honda hasn't readied a 3.0 liter DOHC iVTEC for production yet, atleast not until the next Accord arrives. A disadvantage with a V6 would be added weight (I'd add 150 lb. to the curb weight without thinking), and poorer gas mileage. The 2.4 liter displacement choice provides a good compromise for them who want a good fuel economy, and performance of a small V6.
    I'd say quite a few. Style really sells. Most customers will look past the Tribute's average-powered 4-cylinder engine and care more about the modern styling, the SUV-look, the commanding view and the car-like ride.

You hafta admit- it's a good-looking vehicle.

The CR-V basically copied the Escape's body style.
    And now it looks decent (I always thought the current CR-V was too boxy). But those headlights just look weird from the frontal view.
    I just hope Honda brings it all over here...the nav system, Fullmark, VSA, 3rd row...just bring it all.

Diploid - Think about how those items would add to the cost of the car. Would you really pay $26-27K for a CR-V? With kind of money, I'd step up to a Highlander or something similar.

Robertmx - Specific output for the 2.4L i-VTEC is about the same as the Soob 2.5 4cyl and the Suzuki 2.5 V6, but I'll wager that the powerband is broader than both.

As for a V6. Dream on, folks. The CR-V is still based on a Civic platform. Let's take a minute to consider what Honda would have to do.

With 6 cylinders under the hood, you'd have to enlarge the front of the vehicle. Maybe cut out some legroom in the front, remove those pesky crush zones, or lengthen the wheelbase. Ford gets away with by having a hood that is almost two inches higher than the CR-V's. Ever wonder why they only get 20 mpg? It's been well documented that the EPA estimates are optimistic at best. Estimated cost to the consumer: $1,000-1,4000.

Now what about extra weight. How do you compensate for that? Maybe add beefier suspension, bolster the chassis with extra reinforcements, upgrade the mountings, or maybe leave off things like the hood. Weight distribution is about 55/45 biased toward to the front. With an extra 150 lbs (using Robert's estimate) we're at about 58/42. Not the best for handling, better upgrade that suspension again. Estimated cost to the consumer: $800-1,200.

Oh what, now you want a drivetrain? Well that Civic-based gear box and mechanicals aint gonna cut it with 200 ftlbs cranking through it. I think we need to change it's direction too. Estimated cost to the consumer: $500.

Well, now we have most of the designing done, the only question now is, "where do we build it?" Well we can't use a Civic line because of the engine and tranny, but we can't use an Accord line because of the platform. We need a new production line. Not that big a deal, actually. Honda can ramp up production lines rather quickly. However, shipping the parts all over the place is anothe matter all together. Cost to the consumer: $300-400.

Yeah, that's all fiction, but you should get the point. The Escape/tribute are based on V6 platforms with trannies based on the same cars. The Santa Fe and Vue are also based on 6 cyl platforms The Xterra is based on a midsize platform that spent its youth smoking and stunted its growth. The Liberty is unique, but it doesn't have to share with another cars. Honda is too small to afford that kind of production. They have to share platforms for economic reasons. The Suzuki has a V6, but it puts out less power than the 2.0 based engine in the new CR-V!! Why would you want that?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Good post, thanks for sharing.

BTW, the Grand Vitara XL-7's 2.7L V6 engine has been bumped up in horses for '02, now making 183 hp @ 6000 rpms, and 180 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpms. The Grand Vitara's 2.5L V6 makes 165hp @ 6500 rpms, and 162 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpms.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Diploid's correct in saying that most people are drawn to its "styling, the SUV-look, the commanding view and the car-like ride." At the same time, you don't need a redundant set of chromosomes to notice that most shoppers these days are looking for an automatic transmission as well.

varmit: It's probably not a very big segment, but Honda could probably attract some shoppers that don't need/want something MDX-sized, but like the ides of being coddled by a mini-SUV with lots of frills for $26-27K. I've always thought that such a beast would slot into the Acura lineup nicely. Have you noticed those shiny-new $22K 2-door hatchbacks rolling into the Acura showrooms lately? I don't think they're having a problem getting people interested in those.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    that there may be a turbo CRV in the works. I think is a 2.0L, not the 2.4L. If I remember correctly, it was in a UK web site or publication, which would account for the 2.0L engine. I think the 2.4L is only for North America.

Now if they would offer a low-boost 2.4L turbo, then we're talking... It would offer excellent all around performance, and could probably be built off the existing platform without too much extra beefing up.

Bob
    I thought the only FI engines from Honda's bin were supplied for CART.

I doubt that will happen, or should happen, for that matter. I would prefer a 3-3.2 liter V6 under the hood of a CRV to get 200-225 HP, than a turbo charged 2.0 liter engine doing it. Turbo charged 3.0 liter V6 would be another thing though. :)

Varmit made some excellent points about V6 and CRV. Not that Honda can't put a V6 under the hood of CR-V, they won't. Besides chassis reiforcements, added cost etc. the marketing people would look at "what sells". If V6 was a necessity, I'm sure Honda would put one from the Accord. Honda sees Europe as a greater market for CRV, and is moving the European Accord production back to Japan, while the UK plant focuses on CRV. So, engine displacement, and fuel efficiency plays a significant role. And most people wouldn't care for V6 engine anyway (most likely after test driving the 2002 CRV, based on couple of reviews I've read).

BTW Varmit... it seems that 90% of peak torque is available between 2250-5750 rpm, which sounds pretty good. And like I've said before, the 'startup' gearing is nice and short, especially surprising on a Honda with only 6500 rpm redline.
    Anyone got info whether the new tail lamps are the high transparent crystal type or same old cloudy type on current CRV ?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Honda produced a turbo motorcycle. It was a version of the GL500/650 shaft-drive V-twin Silver Wing.

I have no doubt, if Honda wanted to, they could make a superb 2.4L turbo. It would certainly be a much easier and more cost-effective than offering the Accord V6 as an option. As Varmit said, more of the CRV would have to be re-engineered to fit a V6; not necessarily so with only adding turbo. Sure, some beefing up would be need, but not nearly so as if it were to shoe-horn a V6 in there.

Bob
    From all the pictures I've seen so far, it seems as if the new tail lamps are of the high transparent crystal type. But I doubt that they all light up.

slugline- I agree. I personally wouldn't mind trading off gas mileage for a beefier engine in a nimble package. Of course, we probably represent a very small percentage of buyers.
    Honda and Toyota have a reputation for making cars that last 200,000 miles. They earned it with engines before this variable valve timing thing. With VVT so new, few have proven themselves.

I heard they will suffer catastrophic damage if the variable valve timing thing malfuntion. This is my only reliability concern with the new CRV.

Diploid, I saw all the pictures too, they look bright but even old CRV tail lamp look very bright in pictures.
    Noticed that this one said Honda claims to have achieved world class safety performance. I'm pretty sure that is in regards to the Fullmark edition.
    Didn't Honda first introduce VVT in the Prelude? In about the mid-1990s? Anybody know?
    http://mag-x.com/press_index.html

accessories, bumper guard, skid plate, step bar, spoiler, fender flare, fog light ,cargo mat,rear angle mirror,ultrasound collision sensor, wind deflector, mud flap, body striping,remote engine starter, chrome side mirror, tire cover, console

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automobiles/cr-v/index.html

I can't figure out what the side mirror item is, something prevents water on the mirror? And that antenna like thing in front of the
    light(headlight? but pic is not CRV headlight), power antenna ?

Still can't find roof rack.

• audoaudo Member Posts: 5
    I've been watching/reading these postings for sometime. Just want to add a couple of comments.

Those black grills-as I see it, since they are all the same for the various models, it is a way of keeping the cost down. A standardized part. Don't have to have 6 or 8 different colors.

Attention to safety-keeping all those safety features included, sometimes giving up a better design or look, is a good thing. You may finish paying for a car and own it but you never finish paying for car insurance. That goes on forever....
  • shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    if it doesn't bring over the Fullmark edition, with all its features.
    There are people out (although not the majority of buyers) there buying the V-6 equipped Liberty for around $25K- so a market definitely exists for small SUVs with big engines.

Honda has already ignored that small percent by not offering a V-6. It can't afford to not offer the other options to the U.S. that are available for the Japanese market.

And yes, I know, the new engine is adequate for the new CR-V, but sometimes less just isn't more.
    I'll wait to see what the real test drives tell us. Comparing a 200 HP Tribape to the 160 HP CR-V is strictly a paper comparison. Those numbers are taken at the flywheel and don't mean much in terms of actual performance. The 290 HP Lexus dusted the new 340 HP Infinity in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. How? Look no further than gearing, weight, drag, and drivetrain efficiency. HP at the flywheel is less than half the story. I like this quote from a tech center article here at Edmunds.

Since most manufacturers advertise a vehicle's net horsepower rating, the number quoted in all the magazine tests and sales literature isn't necessarily how much you're going to have available for shooting away from stoplights or climbing up mountain passes. Keep that in mind the next time you're scanning spec boxes. If you really want to know how powerful a vehicle is, test drive it. If you're looking for an accurate horsepower figure, a dynamometer run is the only way to know for sure.

With that said, Honda tends to make use of each and every little HP that the engine puts out. I'm willing to bet that the 02 CR-V will run circles around the porky Santa Fe, the N/A Xterra, and either of the Suzukis. I'd also guess that a 5 speed model will run with the Tribape. I know I'm comparing a 5 speed to an automatic, but that's the only way that Ford and Mazda sell V6s.

If you need power to tow a trailer or boat, then I agree. The 02 CR-V is pretty lacking, but for performance purposes 160 HP should be fine.
    Are you talking about the Lexus LS430 vs. Infiniti Q45? The Lexus got 0-60 times of 6.4 seconds vs. the Infiniti's 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds. I wouldn't say that the Lexus 'dusted' the Infiniti.
    There have been rumors of a Type R CR-V, but, like most Type Rs, I'll bet it only sees those sales floors planted on European or Japanese soil. This could be a turbo or supercharged version of the 2.0 plant, or it might simply be either the 200+ Hp or 220 HP engine from the RSX. In those markets, the high revving powerband is not a probem, it's actually more fun.

Turbos are not unfamiliar ground for Honda. Their racing developers are actually very good at making use of turbos. A while back, the specific type they used in racing was banned for having an unfair advantage.

They haven't used turbos in passenger cars, because VTEC has similar effects without sacrificing fuel efficiency or emmisions and it doesn't put as much stress on the engine. VTEC is also smaller, lighter, and cheaper than your average turbo.
    They could position the Type-R like they do the Si with the Civic in the U.S.- bring it over when sales start to slip. Or like the last generation Integra type-R: make only 15,000 and watch as people pay over sticker to get their hands on one.
    The LS430 beat the Q45 to 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 mph. At the quarter mile it was running 2 seconds faster. You're right, it wasn't a "dusting", that's too strong a word, but given that the Q45 had 50 more HP and more torque, it shouldn't have been close. I just checked the article and I see that the Q45 even carried 80 fewer pounds. That leaves gearing, drivetrain efficiency, and drag as the most likely reasons for the Q's 2nd place finish (performance-wise).

The point still stands, HP at the flywheel is just a hypothetical indicator for performance.
    You are very correct. I was skeptical about the 0-60 numbers. I figured the more powerful Infiniti suffered from a weight problem- boy was I surprised to learn that it weighed less than the Lexus.
    Of course, if I could afford either of those cars, would I care? =)
    rsholland, FYI, Honda also made some cars with turbo charged engines back in early 80's, although we never saw one here.

suvshopper4, the first production car to have VTEC was NSX, back in Fall 1989 (we got the first NSX as a 1991 model in Fall 1990). In 1991, the VTEC was used in Prelude, a year later in Accord (EX) and Civic, and so on.

VTEC by itself is a proven technology, and Honda claims that there have been NO warranty claims on VTEC in its decade old history!
    i-VTEC, is the second generation of the VTEC, but I wouldn't have doubts on its reliability. It has been in Japanese market for about a year now (I believe in Honda stream, a mini-minivan). The good thing about it is... the new engine comes with timing chain instead of timing belt (but this has nothing to do with VTEC or iVTEC).

Type-R:
    I'd prefer a small V6 over the Type-R engine for good reasons. A Honda type-R is usually a limited volume production, a few hundred per year, plus, it doesn't offer slushbox as an option that 95% of buyers demand. While a 200 HP 2.0 liter I-4 can do the job of a 200 HP 3.0 liter V6, the problem would be lack of a manual transmission, and the perception of the buyers. Which will work against the added cost.

Fullmark:
    This model is not a 'higher' end model than the CR-V we get (Performa)... just a different version, with similar option/standard feature list. I agree, VSA, EBD etc. should be offered on CR-Vs in the USA. BTW, did anybody else notice that CRV (EX) has 6-disc in-dash CD changer?
    No, but I did notice the NAV system.
    Thanks for the variable valve timing history, I appreciate your thorough response to my question. After ten-plus years, it looks like VVT has proven itself, and is here to stay.

Good luck in building your own dream car!

ejp
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    when i was in japan i saw a few navigation systems for $400 (in akihabara), and since they were dvd based they also provided dvd playback. i almost bought one, but they did not have us based dvd maps nor manuals in english. so i don't think it would add too much to the cost to have a nav system in the cr-v. one thing though, in a OEM nav system in japanese market toyota's and honda's the on screen buttons replaced the climate controls, radio controls, and you have to flip through screens to adjust temperature or volume, which i didn't mind.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    varmit - you forgot another likely reason: Nissan hype. It's probably simply not making 340hp. They've dialed back hp ratings on a few models, actually.

A V6 would be nice, but it's hard to convince Honda that they need one. The 4 banger costs less to manufacture, and they're in the top 3 in sales even with the old model.

160hp with 22/26 mpg is a very good balance. Forester is similar and outruns the V6 Sante Fe, Grand Vitara, and XTerra, while bypassing twice as many gas stations.

BTW, in that top 10 list (most efficient), the Forester would rank even higher if you require AWD/4WD and 4 doors. First, I believe.

What surprise would you guys most like to see? I vote for the 3rd row of seats. VSA is a close 2nd.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I doubt it. Especially since there is talk of a Honda version of the MDX which more certainly will use the six.

Just my thoughts.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Actually, the Honda MDX will also be a 7 seater, so that makes the 3rd row just as unlikely.

My guess is the surprise is the 2.4l engine itself. The JDM CR-V got a 2 liter.

-juice
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    If the 2.4L '02 CR-V proves to have enough go to be fun to drive, I think Honda will have nailed their design goals perfectly. By keeping the weight down with their drivetrain/engine they will have delivered performance AND efficiency in a package that will do what campers/skiers/Costco shoppers like me need it to do, without mega-SUV overkill, or even moderate overkill - which to me kicks in when you start to talk gas mileage in the teens instead of twenties.

If you have four kids to haul around, or a big boat to pull, a need of a full time AWD/4WD - you simply have different needs than those this vehicle was designed to accomodate.

as far as an 'R' type CR-V - that's a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?? The type R RSX makes virtually all its extra power above 6K RPM. Can you really see driving an SUV like that? Better to just buy an RSX (or better yet, an S2000!) And re turbo, etc.,one of the coolest things about iVTEC is you avoid the added complexity, breakdown potential, premature engine wear, and cost of boosted systems. Not to mention turbo lag, which I find annoying.

I hope the '02 proves to be as elegant a solution to its design challenges as it appears to be from a distance!
    Juice - The Forester and RAV4 have the best highway averages in part because they are so small. In comparison, it's almost sad that the 2 door models on that list do not get better mpg.

I was hoping for VSA as an option. Maybe when they bring back the SE (a guy can dream, can't he? =) ).

Dill6 - Well said. With regard to the CR-V Type R that is exactly why I wouldn't expect to see it here in the North American market. In the JDM and in Europe, the high revving performance is not a problem.
  • abmrknoxabmrknox Member Posts: 2
    We're mulling over many different smaller SUV's and are getting confused! Sure, the CRV's been revamped w/ 160 horses, but it's still a 4-banger. Then, you've got the Santa Fe, the RAV4, the Escape, the Tribute, the XL-7, etc...Get my drift? How's the CRV stack up against something like the Santa Fe and the XL-7? Value-wise, those 2 appear to be ahead of the pack. Plus, they've got V6 engines and can deliver over 180 horses! We love the Honda make (I've got an old Civic SI right now), but wonder when they'll drop a V6 into the CRV. Any advice?