Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta Sportwagen

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    dealer is required to refund 100% of your deposit

Not if you have signed a purchase contract that says otherwise. At least not in my state, where DOT says: If you sign a purchase contract at the dealership it is a binding contract. The dealer may charge you a penalty if you cancel the deal. By law, the penalty cannot be more than 5% of the purchase price of the vehicle.

Typically dealers here do make any deposit 100% refundable, but they certainly are not required to do so, if the contract says otherwise.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    thanks for mentioning the info about your state, jeffyscott.
    looks like it varies from state to state. the states where i've bought many new cars are very consumer-protecting. CA/MA/NH. CA also had a 3 day period *after* the delivery where you can change your mind,turn in the car, and get your $ back!
  • vincepvincep Member Posts: 12
    They are indeed produced in Mexico.

VIN from a nearby dealer: 3VWTM71K99M300122

3V=Mexico
    SN-ST=Germany

Save yourself the hassle and buy a Rabbit, GTI, or Passat Wagon instead.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    How has it been so far? I've been looking around the Internet expecting bad reviews on VW quality, but I've not seen much of anything that reflects poorly. My wife is interested in the SportWagen SE 5-Speed I-5 gas engine model. We have a troublesome Forester that we want to trade out of and the SportWagen is one of the very few vehicles out there that matches Forester's size, capacity, fuel economy and all with a manual tranny that we love so much.
  • krd1155krd1155 Member Posts: 9
    the latest we are hearing is that the sportswagon tdi's will be shipped within the next 2 months but no options available. After that delivery, the orders will be built with delivery in nov or dec. the nav system, which is pretty wild, is a feature we want but none of the first wave will have that option available.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    I ordered a 6-speed (manual) wagon mid-July and the dealer said it will be delivered late September or early Oct, so the 14-week timetable mentioned by KRD1155 could be a bit on the long side. Ordered the options on the edmunds website and on the VW site as well, like DVD-Nav, fog lights, panoramic moonroof, mud guards, etc. No HID (xenon) lights, or sports package, leather.
    That excellent, your dealer must have an inside track! Give us an update when it comes in (if your not too busy out driving ;)
  • dogtrainer42dogtrainer42 Member Posts: 1
    Thought I would pass along my experiance on my purchase in Memphis TN. I ended up with the gas sportwagon. I purchased the base model and had them add leather. It is a substantial car, handles excellent and had a lot more features then the other vehicles I have been looking at with the same MPG advertised. I totaled out at a litlle over 21,500 for the car but went in the hole with my Explorer as a trade in.(Won't give the final figure here, it hurts too much) With the math I still came out $100 a year cheaper if the sportswagon will just average 28mpg.
    The TDI had a 28 customer waiting list with a $500 hold to have one ordered. It would be 3 mo before I would even get one. :mad: The price started at $25,500 with a $1150 add on "for profit" as it was stated, $690 delivery fee plus tax etc ending up at 29,000, out of my budget!!! :( The are are only two dealerships here owned by the same guy. I thought I would wait a couple of years and see how things pan out with the TDI's.
  • mpgivmpgiv Member Posts: 5
    i ordered a tdi sportswagon dsg transmission in mid july and was told 12 weeks
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The DVD nav is actually a hard drive system that uses the DVD drive to upload maps and movies. It has an SD slot that holds up to 2 GB. There is also a built in iPod adaptor called the MDI that requires a special backordered cable. The new navigation is a touchscreen system. Sadly the maps are still not out yet. The unit does have HDRadio and Sirius traffic support. It can support bluetooth through a Skoda kit or the VolK-L kit. The RNS-510 plays movies while in park. The screen is a VGA display which is much nicer. Like having a high def screen on there. Stores up to 18.62 GB of music which is nice. Finally there is Traffic support by Sirius.
  • raiderfan1raiderfan1 Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone talk about prices paid and leasing information for oregon?
  • colammycolammy Member Posts: 10
    I don't know about in Oregon - but in CA, I just ordered a SEL sportswagon for $200 over invoice. I liked the SEL model and they don't seem to have any with navigation and the sun roof, so I had to order. Put $1000 down and negotiated the price at $29,516. (I know it's a lot for a Jetta but the added features of the SEL are worth it to me: 2.0 turbo engine, 17" tires, power/memory seats, real leather and dual air.) I test drove both the SE and SEL (w/o nav and sunroof) and really just preferred the SEL. I was also quoted the same $200 over invoice on the SE which would have been $25,200 with navigation and sunroof.
    I hope to have the car for a long time so the features make a big difference and well worth the extra $$$.
  • watkinstwatkinst Member Posts: 119
    First you guys getting the gasser are crazy when there is now a clean diesel kick back that almost makes the diesel the same price as the equivalent gasser.

The TDI simply blew me away - fantastic engine great milege the 6spd manual was pure joy. I have hated VW's for a long time but the new Jetta TDI has really changed my mind. The sport wagon is very high on my shopping list even though I really - really want AWD. I might just spring for the sport wagon TDI seems like a fantastic value for the money.
    I agree the TDI has also sparked my interest - but it still lacks: power seats, controls on the steering wheel, dual air, real leather (correct me if I'm wrong, that's my understanding). Also, considered the difference in regular gas vs. diesel??? It's much closer these days (approx. .30 more....but at times has been almost $1.00 more.) Did you drive both the SEL and the TDI? I'd be interested in hearing how the engines compared? The SEL has 200/hp over the 140/hp on the TDI. I completely noticed the difference driving experience between the SE and SEL, figured it was the horse power. ??? Have to admit, I didn't test drive the TDI. By the way, has anyone ordered from VW and received their car? I'm curious what the real time is vs. the standard 2-3 months quoted.
    All I can say is go drive the TDI the experience is completely different than the 2.5.
    Granted the leather thing is a big of a snag for me also the leatheret isn't really cutting it.

But for the price its really hard to beat. What 6spd car exists thats sub 30K price tag? Let alone a snappy TDI option etc.

The gas price vs diesel price argument doesn't fly even with a fairly large spread in the price per gallon - do the math!

I still can't believe I'm all excited about a VW - I vowed never to own one again after my last experience. The TDI is the only reason I'd get the Jetta.
    I hesitate to ask what your past experience is? I am new to VW myself. I've been driving a big, luxury, gas consuming, V8, SUV. Almost went with a Prius - but got swept away when I drove the sportswagon. The driving experience is just much better; just wish I didn't have to wait soooo long.
    Also the manual seats are horrible......especially when you often share the car.
    I currently own a 1994 Land Cruiser - our 3rd car used for hauling crap - people - boats etc.
    2001 Subaru GT Sedan 5spd - 150,000 miles on it its been flawless dispite towing sailboats all over the country - crazy back country camping trips on miles of less than ideal dirt roads - big snow weekends in Tahoe etc.
    2001 Jetta 1.8T - 5spd 50,000 miles looks new - Ok car but not comfortable - terrible back seat - quality issues etc. Power delivery has the effect of a rubber band which is quite annoying even in a 5spd manual.

Past cars 4runner - Ford Truck - VW Dasher - Peugot 505TD 5spd - slow but not as slow as the 300TD mercedes. Pulled like a tractor probably because it had a tractor engine in it.

Test drove a few toyotas last week including a Mini Cooper and the Subaru Impreza. The Jetta TDI for the price is pretty impressive. Fantastic 6spd manual I liked the feel etc. Shoot I freaking hate our 1.8T not fun to drive - not fun to ride in not even close to the same car the 09 Jetta is.
    I test drove the mini cooper too. It would be great if it was just me. Fun to drive but I have two kids and the back seat would be a nightmare - and once again the manual drivers seat would get old quick. Like your Land Cruiser, I drive a Lexus GX470; everything is power, so I'm a bit spoiled.
    The TDI is suppose to get 30MPG's in the city, right? At today's gas prices that would save $30/month vs. the SEL model. hmmm I guess I would just have to ask myself if power/memory, leather seats, 17" tires, dual air, and steering wheel controls are worth the extra $$$. (By the way, the steering wheel controls are a pretty weak feature on the SEL. It has a blue tooth button that the dealer told me isn't compatible in the US. The radio buttons that change the channel basically just scan to the next station - not your pre-programmed stations. So it's certainly nothing special.) I think I'd just hate to give up the power/memory leather seats...
    Anyway, thanks for your input on the TDI, you've definitely given me more to think about.
  • mpgivmpgiv Member Posts: 5
    ordered mine w/ dsg on july 12 was told 12 weeks..

Now dealer tells me before the end of the year ..but probably late November 08

Seems like production of sportswagon diesels for the year will not meet demand

price@ msrp only with no other dealer installed garbage
    I ended up getting a SEL yesterday. Funny enough, I happened to be looking on Cars.com and noticed another dealership in the area had the exact color and options for the one I ordered. I had to press the dealership where I placed the order to call and do a trade, but after a few days, the trade finally went through and my wait was over after just 3 weeks!!!
    I highly recommend keeping tabs on all your local dealerships to see if one of them gets a color like the one you ordered. You would think after placing an order, the dealership would be checking this out for you....but it's not the case. They just move on and don't think about the order again until it comes in.
    Anyway - I never had a chance to test drive the TDI after-all (non of the local dealerships had one), but the SEL is pretty fun. Good luck!
  • newbie725newbie725 Member Posts: 3
    New to VW's and fascinated with new 2009 Jetta Sportwagen but have two concerns:

Sunroof:
    Have always had sunroof on past cars and am looking at one with new Panoramic sunroof. Any help on noise concerns besides the usual vacuum related issues that are often alleviated by cracking a window? Plus concerned over only mesh cover for two reasons: (1) heat and (2) noise. Have only had harder cover that provides significant noise and heat reduction when closed versus just the sunroof closed - noise reduction from just driving down highway and especially when have skis, bike or cargo box on top, heat (and glare) reduction when parked or very sunny out.

Navigation system:
    Have had OEM systems and portable GPS units. Like both, obviously portable is easy to take from vehicle to vehicle. Am looking at new Jetta Sportwagen with DVD/nav system. How hard is it to do firmware upgrades?? Cost?? And, specs state DVD only works when car is in Park, which makes sense except that presumably passengers could be watching when car is in motion. Seems crazy to only work when in park and burning up fuel or battery. Does this make sense??

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Just got a call from my dealer. My wagon (ordered in early July) is not coming in before November, but is now in production in Mexico (if I am not mistaken) and should be here around Turkey Day. He couldn't find anything that had shipped since July with my specs (color, options, etc. - a bit unusual, to say the least) that he could have grabbed for me.

Their deliveries had been snapped up within a few hours of arrival at the dealership, but supply situation should improve down the road. I hope the demand would still be there when they figure out what to do about it.

He was telling me about a customer who drove up from Virginia (to N.E. PA) to pick up his TDI wagon as it was being unloaded from the truck.

Not in a big hurry, but you as you can imagine, I'm getting tired of waiting sometimes. Patience, my child. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    This new nav system is called the RNS-510 and it's a nice system. You can add music to the hard drive. Music can be added via audio CD, pre ripped MP3's from SD card, MP3/WMA CD or DVD. You get about 18.6 GB of storage for Music. The unit has a 30 GB HDD which a portion is allocated for the maps and music storage system. It only supports up to 2 GB SD cards. No 4 GB or SDHC cards.

Well for nav updates you update via DVD. The RNS-510 isn't that hard to update. It does take 1 to 2 hours to update. However you should get the latest version of map from navteq. Updating can be daunting but thats how it works. It has to download the DVD data to the hard drive. Once it's done loading you never have to use the DVD again.

As for DVD while driving there are TV free adaptors. The TV free adaptor works with the new RNS-510. I can't post links to them but there are some german sites that sell them. The RNS-510 supports high end DVD Audio Discs that are more expensive but selection is limited. DVD's filled with MP3's can be played and ripped with this system.

Lots of good technical information which may be daunting, but should help you in your decision.
    I received a email asking if I received my SEL and if I like it but can't seem to find the person who wrote or asked, so am posting my reply here:

I ended up finding the exact SEL that I ordered 3 weeks later at another dealership and requested that my dealer have the car dealer swapped, so I wouldn't need to wait. So I was lucky and received the car the end of October.

The SEL is great!!! I went back and forth re-thinking if I should get the TDI, but the features of the SEL are hard to pass up. Only the SEL has: all power + memory drivers seat (which really makes a big difference; especially if you valet or ever share the car with another driver), real leather interior (not such a big difference), 17inch alloy tires, turbo engine (a ton more power that what I need), dual air (which works better than the standard air - not sure why but test it and you'll see for yourself) and radio controls on the steering wheel (a safety feature I appreciate).

Sometimes I still question if at 29k, I should have considered the Passat wagon or the Audie A4 - but I would have had to spend a lot more to have the exact same engine and features I have with the SEL. So I still think I made the right decision.
    Did you ever get your TDI sportwagon? We just got our deposit back from the dealer; they had absolutely no idea when they would get one with a manual and nav system. We got tired of them not returning phone calls or when we could get them on the blower, they would just be going into a meeting to get a delivery update and would call us back and we then we'd never hear from them. Guess we'll let the dust settle and try again the spring ;)
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    Did you ever get your TDI sportwagon? We just got our deposit back from the dealer; they had absolutely no idea when they would get one with a manual and nav system. We got tired of them not returning phone calls or when we could get them on the blower, they would just be going into a meeting to get a delivery update and would call us back and we then we'd never hear from them. Guess we'll let the dust settle and try again the spring

......that last sentence is a keeper!!

Replacing my venerated 1982 Rabbit Diesel Pickup with a nice 50-states legal TDI JSW seemed like a good idea. Still does.

The IRS rebate is good until 12/2010 (or until VOA sells 60k TDI units).
    The pickup still runs great.
    Local dealers are charging a premium here in the great central valley.

Again, waiting until the dust settles sounds like a plan.

best, ez....
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    Stay away from the big city dealers. The small city dealers don't try to gouge you like those of the big cities.
    Apparently the RNS-510 the unit found in the Jetta SportWagen has been updated. New Hardware revision and software revision. They changed the Mute button to Phone. Phone is apparently the button to access the bluetooth menu. The Mute button on the older versions of the RNS-510 would also access the phone menu if a compatible Bluetooth module is installed. No the Volk-L doesn't count. The phone button is in preparation for a new factory installed BT module that can be retrofitted.
  • mbatechmbatech Member Posts: 1
    Colammy, thanks for the update! I asked about your SEL purchase a couple weeks ago. I think I am definitely leaning towards the SEL w/Navigation and have seriously considered the TDI as well as the A3. Thanks again for your valuable input.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    We've owned three VW diesels starting with our 48 hp '78 Rabbit and currently an '06 Jetta TDI. I like the Sportwagen but I'm not thrilled with the "decontenting" of the 09 version. As previously mentioned, I like the leather seats in my 06, the dual automatic climate control and the long warranty I had. Why aren't HID headlights available, too? I'm actually considering the upcoming Ford Fusion hybrid which will get 41 mpg on RUG. It also will have a 100K warranty on the battery which ameliorates concerns about that issue.

Where is the Tiguan TDI? The sportscar? The ultra hi-mpg tricycle car? The Audi TT tdi? VW is losing me, unfortunately...
    I hear you on the loss of features on the 09 tdi sportswagon or sedan. I think the 06 tdi, which we also have and love, was getting too close to the features of the passat and VW was aiming to clearly differentiate between the two. We put a deposit down on a wagon back in July with a delivery estimate of a late Oct, but due to the lack of accurate delivery info from the dealer and their blowing up our skirts every time we called, we got our money back. We told them they had sold a car they did not have and did not know when they would. Very disappointing....
  • mymuranomymurano Member Posts: 3
    I seriously looked at the A3 & A4 including test driving them. Got the a4 down to $32k. Which I thought was too much given the interior quality in the VW was just as nice. I asked the dealer for SELs or TDIs. They said there aren't SELs anywhere. and they had 1 TDI that just came in. In the last 5 months this is only the 3rd wagon they have seen. After I test drove the car I was sold. The DSG, IPOD Adapter and full sunroof are awesome. I have had the car 2 days. I paid MSRP but got $2200 for a 1999 Honda Accord with $137k
  • koolerkooler Member Posts: 22
    I have been looking for a 09 jetta sport wagon TDI with panoramic sunroof and Navi, 17" wheels and any color but black. I keep reading about the leatherette (sp??) seats. is this a type of leather? Does a person have to get this? does the sportwagon come i anything but this (if it is a leather type seat cover?

I have not driven the sportwagon but would like to. I was told they drive "exactly" like the dsedan but that came from dealers.

Any other suggestions on the SEL vs the TDI. I am really into the "green" thing so the TDI seems the way to go.
    Peace
    The "leatherette" really is not bad. I bought the SEL (with real leather) back in Sept. Unfortunately I never tried the TDI - but went for the SEL after trying the SE. Once again the leatherette wasn't bad (and truth be told, I don't think the quality of the leather in the SEL is much to brag about). What does make a big difference is the power drivers seat with memory in the SEL. All the other models have manual adjustments - and I found them to be completely difficult to adjust. My passenger seat has the manual adjustment and anytime I've had to sit in it, I am once again happy I chose the SEL. It's strange that VW doesn't give you the option in the TDI. What a shame. If you are the only one that will be driving the car, than it probably won't be a big deal. But if you valet or let your spouse drive it on occasions, it's truly a hassle. Why can't we have comfort and convenience, while being "green"?
    Other than that, I can say having the SEL for five months, it's a pretty cool little ride. It's fun, fast and comfortable.
    Hope that helps!
    I have the 2009 Jetta SportWagon TDI. The leatherette is vinyl although looks like but doesn't smell like the leather. Frankly I can't tell the difference. The SEL are even harder to find than the TDIs. I was looking for either the SEL or TDI and couldn't find one. I am really glad I ended up with the TDI the mileage is awesome and the performance is more than I need. It is pretty cool owning a Diesel. I thought VW owners were fanatics but Diesel VW are real fanatics.. I can see why the care is awesome. I was a Honda Accord owner for 10 years before this car.
  • koolerkooler Member Posts: 22
    I have been trying to locate an 09 Jetta SportWagan TDI with some special features but on other TDI Jetta forums I have been told I am wanting too much. To just take what comes my way and if you won't you are just playing games. So here I am since I fist started wanting one of these cars--8 months later and still driving the 09 Honda Fit Sport, which I have to "slide" into and cry every time I see it. (Long & different story.)

I have been told to work with this dealer in PA, fly there, get to know the car by driving it home and on and on. Because I am in Salt Lake City, dealing with a health issue, I have not jumped n those offers from other dealers i the East.

The dealers in Salt Lake City or ones within 50 miles, have either lied too many times, I have not wanted to play their games, do not have the extra money to buy their services, and on and on.

I would still like one of these cars but what is happening in 2010? Is thee a better TDI coming out? Any thoughts, suggestions on alternative cars? Not a Honda Civic hybrid, not a Honda Fit Sport, not a Toyota Prius...

Is it unrealistic to try and find a JSW TDI with a panoramic sunroof, 17" alloy tires and wheels, a Navi system? Why do the TDI know-it-alls label me a game-player when I say I am looking for this car with these features? is it not possible to get the TDI the VW website lets you build?
  • johnrbrooksjohnrbrooks Member Posts: 9
    I ordered an 09 TDI Sportwagon in Nov 08 with everything you wanted except Nav and just got it a week ago. Ordered it through Cartelligent, a broker. Paid $500 under sticker. I had to give up the nav as it would add a couple more months and frankly instead of the in dash nav for $2k I got a Garmin for $225 that will mount nicely inside. It's a very cool car. Like dricing a French taxi or a FedX truck. I smile everytime I start it up.
  • warm1warm1 Member Posts: 4
    For you owners of the jetta sportwagen TDI, please comment on reliability issues, repair and service problems
  • jackh33jackh33 Member Posts: 3
    Curious to know if you are still enjoying the TDI sportwagon. I'm on the fence whether to get the conservative 4cy Accord EXL for less $, or go with the Wagon TDI when the new 2010's come out. I know they are complete opposites.
    I am loving the VW. Has great performance, 41 mpg, hauls the whole family including my dog. I couldn't say that about my honda accord. Really are different cars. I have had some quirks.. the ipod adopter fills out sometimes and the rear door handle isn't working but.. i had expected little quirks like that. I would make the same choice again if I had to chose now.
  • drewnycdrewnyc Member Posts: 7
    Moving out west early 2010 and planning on getting a Sportwagen TDI 2009 or 2010.

When should I order? and will there be any 2009 inventory left?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)
  • barryob5barryob5 Member Posts: 6
    I bought an '09 TDI Sportwagen last week. I was lucky....only one the dealer had (Tracy Motors Hyannis, MA). Black with tan interior. Sunroof....NAV....Auto. I absolutely love it. The fake leather is fine. I had MB Tex in a Mercedes diesel in the mid '80's, and I had no idea it wasn't leather! Same with this car. Averaging about 37mpg on the first tank. The NAV system is better than the one in my Cadillac DTS. Sirius Satellite reception isn't as good as the XM on my Caddy, but no major issues. I am really happy I got this car. My dogs love it, too.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Bought mine in Feb 09. Color white with beige interior and manual transmission. This was a replacement of 2005 Subaru Forester (some comparisons to follow). After appx 6000 miles here is what I think. Mileage is great (city 32 highway 49 mpg). Driving and handling is great. Suspension is a bit too soft for my likings. Tried to replace shocks but they are not available yet - car is too new (per Koni, Bilstein, etc.). Interior could use more storage bins - like Forester (ordered some from Europe, where they come standard). Dash a/c vent is an overkill (fogs up windshield from outside as it blows on it right below rear view mirror) here in FL wet and humid climate. Will replace it with a storage tray. Side A/C vents with chrome accents reflect in outside rear view mirrors - had to paint them black. Added extra cig. lighter outlet between front seats (one is not enough and the rear one is of no use anyway). Hardwired Garmin GPS straight from the fuse box to avoid cig. lighter cords. I prefer removable GPS so that I can move it from car to car and take along for trips. Major issue is the large moon-roof. In sun intensive climates (FL, CA, NV,UT,NM etc.) even with mesh shade closed sun generates high temperature inside. I am now designing a sun shade that would fit in-between glass moon-roof and textile headboard sun retractable shade. Cardboard cut to 29" x 47" covered with aluminum cooking sheet is the solution. 6 speed manual is great and maximizes torque and mileage, if used properly. Took a test drive with automatic but did not like it. The best for that car is a 6 speed manual, in my opinion. Overall I am happy although if Subaru comes out with a diesel (already in Europe) I would trade VW Tdi in. Subaru Forester diesel did not pass Calif. EPA and technology (royalties) from Daimler Benz (BlueTec) or VW/Audi is too expensive - I am told by Subaru insiders. Subaru is developing their own "clean" diesel for the U.S. market. Will bite the bullet until then.
  • r5igr5ig Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my '09 JSW TDI last week. The supply seems to be increasing, possibly because people are waiting for the 2010s. I think it's a very nice car, but mine will be spending this week in the shop due to a ridiculous problem of having been built with the 2010 model's airbag control computer. Maybe I should have waited to get an completely 2010 model?

I really like the screen on the sunroof and my impression is that in combination with the UV-blocking glass, the sunroof does not contribute to heating the interior of the car. Plus the light coming through the shade is really lovely.

I don't think it's possible to copy an audio CD directly onto the hard drive of the navigation system, but you can copy MP3s off a data CD, or use an SD card (limited to 2GB). It also comes with a USB interface cable, but you can't copy from a USB device. An iPod cable is about $50. VW seems to be updating the software from time to time and there's even a new feature for adding new destinations via Google Maps available at vwlabs.com.
  • terbterb Member Posts: 2
    Are you sure about the UV blocking glass? I am pending on getting the moon roof. I love the spaciousness it gives the car but, in the heat of the summer the car was warmer inside than the others on the lot. I asked about the UV protection and the sales person double checked and said it is not UV protected. I am on line to find the answers.

Thanks for your response!
  • eastbocaeastboca Member Posts: 5
    What about getting mirror tints on the panoramic panels?
    That plus the sunscreen should provide sufficient shading in the Florida sun, no?

I'm personally looking for a white/beige TDI wagon w/ nav and panoramic roof. Dealer said bluetooth will be standard equipment on TDI for 2010, but Mexico plant is closed for retooling until Aug and 2010 TDI wagons wont arrive til mid Oct.
    NO (the answer to sufficient shading). I have 2009 Tdi Wagon now since February 2009 in Florida and if I would buy it again, I would get it WITHOUT the panoramic roof. As I have mentioned earlier, even with the sun mesh screen closed, when car is parked on the sun all day long, it increases temp inside the car considerably. I have put a rectangular cardboard covered with aluminum cooking foil in between the glass and mesh sun screen and that seems to do the trick. The car is considerably cooler. Not to mention the extra storage (for sun-glasses and such) that you get, when the car has no panoramic roof. The mirror tint on panoramic glass is ill advised as it would trap the heat inside the car. I have just tinted all windows but not the panoramic roof!
    Another issue is the extra cooling vent on the top of dashboard - when A/C is operating it fogs up the windshield from outside - in the Florida humid climate. I am planning to replace that vent with a storage tray that is available in Europe (and sold by a company in San Diego) similar to what Subaru Forester has.
    As to bluetooth, I have hard wired Motorola bluetooth and placed it next to panoramic control knob and that only cost 35.00; i.e. close to where you talk. I have also hard wired Garmin GPS on the dash/left side and hardwired to the fuse box that is directly beneath. Both of these are considerably cheaper than getting them on the car as options not to mention the portability (you can get them out on a trip or when you switch cars).
    Ditto for the trailer hitch (which I had installed by a hitch dealer) since it requires a complicated mounting, lowering exhaust, etc.) but the wiring of the hitch I did myself (wiring module costs about $ 50.00 but the hitch dealer asked for over $ 200 for wiring module on top of the cost of the hitch, which costs appx $ 225.00 incl. labor) as I don't trust the installers skills to tap the VW wiring.
    Same here - I mounted Garmin 265WT on the left side of the dash and hard wired it to the fuse box that is directly beneath. It works great plus you have the GPS protability, when you travel or switch cars.
    2009 - white Tdi SportWagen manual transmission - no issues with quality or repairs since Feb 2009 - mileage 5,000. Great mileage and fun to drive with manual gearbox.