Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Cruise Control Problems

12346»

Comments

• cc2caracc2cara Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, Don,
    I have not actually complained to the dealer about my problem at this point. The most concerning problem was having it downshift and accelerate to the red line. It has only done that a few times and two of those occasions were when I re-engaged the cruise going up a hill. Only once was it spontaneous. The gear hunting only happened when I deliberately tried it, again going up hill and re-engaging the cruise.

I just hate getting into a big brouhaha with the dealer. It would cause me more consternation than the cruise control has so far. If they come out with a fix, then I'll go in to get it fixed. Unless I'm giving up some rights by not complaining about it.
    Cara
  • crtzlowcrtzlow Member Posts: 16
    The good thing about letting the dealer know about it is that you have a mileage reference to go by for the future. We carried our RAV 4 in with the cruise issue being one of the things we wanted to be checked. The dealer said they could not fix it so we contacted Toyota and started the process with them. Going all the way to arbirtration we only had to pay for the miles that were on the vehicle at the time we filed the complaint around 3000. When the buy back occured the car had almost 6200 so we saved a little bit there.
    Hopefully the long awaited "fix" will come out and everyone will be happy.

Don
  • roj1roj1 Member Posts: 16
    I was strongly considering buying a 4-cyl, 4WD RAV4, but the problems with the cruise control really concerns me. I rarely use the cruise control, but I am wondering if this problem could be related to other problems with the RAV4. Do you know if there are any other known problems? How is the overall quality of the RAV4?

I am trying to figure out if a RAV4 with this problem is still a safer and more dependable option than other cars, if I don't plan on using the cruise control.

Thanks,
    -Rob
  • ces1938ces1938 Member Posts: 61
    The only thing that I can tell you about the suv, is that it rides like a dump truck and the gas mileage is about the same too.... I would never recommend the little peice of crap, I have one... for now...ces1938
    I would definitely not call the RAV4 a piece of crap. It depends on what you are looking for in a car. It is a bit noisy and the ride is not the smoothest. But I don't think that it's that bad either. It is not a luxury car. It is a moderaly priced, roomy, reliable and economical vehicle. My over-all gas mileage is about 26 mpg. Definitely better than my truck! I have not had any problems with it except when I re-engage the cc going uphill. The body integrity, engine, cabin, everything have all been fine. I have 25,000 miles on mine, now, in the 19 months I've owned it, so it defintely gets driven. My biggest complaint, actually, has been that when the AC is running and I'm at a stop, then the entire car vibrates. I put it in neutral b/c that is just so annoying. If I was to get another RAV, I would definitely go for the 6 cylinder.
    Cara
    Hey ces1938 and Cara,

Thanks for the feedback. I have narrowed the search to the CRV and Rav4. Your feedback is pushing towards the CRV as I don't want to worry about any major problems developing.

-Rob
    I don't blame you, if I had the chance that is what I would do.... Altho, unless you need a car right night I would wait a while and check it the new Toyota Venza crossover... I heard it would be a replacement for the Rav 4, it will make the Rav 4 obselete if it as nice as they said at the auto shows... ces
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    I've had mine for 19 months also and have never had a reason to doubt the RAV4's reliability or build quality. It's one of the most solid vehicles I've owned. Mine is the V6 so I can't comment on the 4-cylinder, but I'm quite pleased with the RAV4 overall, particularly the fuel economy, considering its size. I'd buy it again.
    I won't be able to wait long enough to consider the Venza. I decided to look at reviews of other SUVs to see if I was overlooking any good options. Some posters seemed to have even more problems than the problems with the Rav4 reported here. I was all set on the CRV until I read about problems with the AWD CRVs. I guess all cars may have problems and my best bets are still likely the CRV and RAV4.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It has been very helpful.

-Rob
    I have have the AWD drives gave a lot of problems... don't think I would go for that unless you live in a area that has rough winters.....You might check out the Mercury mariner SUV it gets some pretty ratings so does Ford Escape..... I have not driven a domestic car since 1985... I was burned out on such poor quality.. I spent 40 years in Quality Control and have no patients with poor quality....any where check out this web site on the Mariner ... CES1938
    http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/model/overview.html;_ylt=Al7Do22CSkBr0Gq8xpRTFjgE- c78F;_ylv=3?modelId=5231
    Rob, Have you looked at the Subaru? I had an Outback for 10 years. I loved it. I wish I still had it.
    I considered Subaru given that their cars/suvs receive great reviews. However, my wife did not want a car that looks like a station wagon (Outback, Forester) and the Legacy and Impreza were to small for our needs. So, I unfortunately had to eliminate Subaru from our search.

I'll take a look at the Mariner.

Thanks,
    -Rob
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    Take a look at the 2008 Nissan Rogue. After my Lemon Law buyback of my 2007 RAV4 I bought the Rogue and I have been very pleased with it.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f151681/

http://www.nissanusa.com/rogue/

Mike
  • jackwonjackwon Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading all the complaints about the RAV4. Mine was a 2007 and it was the worst thing I ever owned. I filed the under SC lemon law with NCDS ( National Center for Dispute Settlement) and I won. I did not have to go to any hearings. The only thing I had to provide was maintenance forms where I had the RAV4 in for service and they could not fix the problem. They gave me the run around for awhile but I kept on them and I settled on 2/8/08 and they only offset the mileage for the mileage that was on the vehicle the first time I took it in. I am looking at the Nissan Rouge.
    Good luck to everyone else.
    This is the only thing they will understand, it worked on the domestic cars 20 years and I believe it will for the imports like Toyota...One thing about it, Toyota has to sell cars but we don't have to buy them.... The last domestic a 1985 Buick ( what a loser) but if the domestic auto company's build a better car than I will go back to them.... I am thinking of that right now......ces1938
  • pam14pam14 Member Posts: 12
    I was contacted by the service manager at the local Toyota dealer. He advised me that the new software "fix" designed by Toyota for the cruise control problem is now available. I will take my car in on Wednesday for the update.

I purchased my car last March and struggled through the cruise control issue for most of the summer. I posted messages last summer detailing my experiences; however, the problem appeared to repair itself sometime in August.

I plan to have the software installed anyway. Will report here when I have some experience with the new device. Pam
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    I hope this information helps. This is the Technical Service Bulletin for this issue.

T-SB-0015-08 February 13, 2008
    Frequent Upshifting and Downshifting with Cruise
    Control "ON"
    Service
    Category Engine/Hybrid System
    Section Cruise Control Market USA
    Applicability
    YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    2006 – 2008 RAV4 Drive Type(s): 4WD, 2WD
    Engine(s): 2AZ
    Transmission(s): 4AT
    VDS(s): BD31V, BD32V, BD33V, ZD31V, ZD32V,
    ZD33V
    WMI(s): JTM
    Introduction
    Some 2006 – 2008 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit a
    condition while using the cruise control between 50 – 70 mph (80 – 113 km/h). During this condition
    the transaxle will upshift and downshift frequently. The Engine Control Module (ECM) (SAE term:
    Powertrain Control Module/PCM) logic has been updated to change this condition. Use the following
    repair procedure for customer complaint vehicles.
    Warranty Information
    OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    EG8011 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) Engine 0.7 89661-##### 26 99
    APPLICABLE WARRANTY
    • This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect
    for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    • Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s
    specific complaint.
    © 2007 Toyota Motor Sales, USA Page 1 of 6
    T-SB-0015-08 February 13, 2008 Page 2 of 6
    Frequent Upshifting and Downshifting with Cruise Control "ON"
    Parts Information
    PREVIOUS
    PART NUMBER
    CURRENT
    PART NUMBER ENGINE TRANS PART NAME QTY
    89661-42C20 –
    89661-42C21 –
    89661-42E50 –
    89661-42E51 –
    89661-42F60
    89661-42F61 2AZ-FE 2WD U241E
    –
    89661-42C30 –
    89661-42C31 –
    89661-42E60 –
    89661-42E61 –
    89661-42F70
    89661-42F71 2AZ-FE 4WD U140F
    Computer, Engine Control
    (ECM/PCM)
    –
    N/A 00451-00001-LBL – – Authorized Modifications
    Label 1
    NOTE
    • The ECM (PCM) should NOT be replaced as part of the repair procedure.
    • Authorized Modification Labels may be ordered in packages of 25 from the Materials
    Distribution Center (MDC) through Dealer Daily Dealer Support Materials System, or by calling
    the MDC at 1-800-622-2033.
    © 2007 Toyota Motor Sales, USA
    T-SB-0015-08 February 13, 2008 Page 3 of 6
    Required Tools & Equipment
    REQUIRED EQUIPMENT SUPPLIER PART NUMBER QTY
    TIS techstream*
    NOTE: Software version 2.20.015 or later is required.
    ADE TSUNT 1
    * Essential SST.
    NOTE
    • Additional TIS techstream units may be ordered by calling Approved
    Dealer Equipment (ADE) at 1-800-368-6787.
    • The Diagnostic Tester is NOT recommended for flash reprogramming
    with this calibration file. Please use TIS techstream or an approved J2534
    interface to perform this update. Visit techinfo.toyota.com for more
    information regarding J2534 reprogramming.
    SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS (SSTS) PART NUMBER QTY
    GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station* 00002–MCGR8 1
    * Essential SST.
    NOTE
    • Additional SSTs may be ordered by calling SPX/OTC at 1-800-933-8335.
    • The GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station (P/N 00002-MCGR8) supersedes the Automatic Trickle
    Charger (P/N 00002-YA122-01) and Fast Battery Chargers (Associated P/N ASE6003 and
    Christie P/N CAPPDQ). P/N 00002-YA122-01, ASE6003, and CAPPDQ are now obsolete.
    T-SB-0015-08 February 13, 2008 Page 4 of 6
    Calibration Identification Chart
    MODEL MODEL YEAR ENGINE DRIVETRAIN PREVIOUS
    CALIBRATION ID
    NEW
    CALIBRATION ID VDS
    2WD
    34282100 ZD3*V
    RAV4 2006 – 2008 2AZ-FE
    4WD
    34283100 BD3*V
    T-SB-0015-08 February 13, 2008 Page 5 of 6
    Repair Procedure
    1. Check for the Authorized Modifications Label affixed to the vehicle in the location shown in
    Figure 1. Confirm if the ECM (PCM) calibration has been updated. If the calibration ID listed is
    NOT the latest ECM (PCM) calibration — go to step 2.
    Figure 1. Location of Authorized Modifications Label on 2006 RAV4
    1 Replacement ECM (PCM) Part Number (i.e.,
    89661–42C20)
    2 New Calibration ID(s) (i.e., 34282100)
    3 Dealer Code
    4 Date Completed
    5 This TSB Number
    2. Flash Reprogram the ECM (PCM).
    NOTE
    • The GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station MUST be used in Power Supply Mode to maintain
    battery voltage at 13.5 volts while flash reprogramming the vehicle.
    • For details on how to use the GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station, refer to the GR8 Instruction
    Manual located on the Technical Information System (TIS), Diagnostics – Battery.
    Follow the procedures outlined in TSB No. SS002-07, "Techstream ECU Flash Reprogramming
    Procedure” , and flash the ECM (PCM) with the NEW calibration file update.
    T-SB-0015-08 February 13, 2008 Page 6 of 6
    Repair Procedure (Continued)
    3. Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature before test driving.
    4. Test drive the vehicle to confirm proper vehicle operation and ECM (PCM) initial learning.
    Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), applicable model year RAV4 Repair Manual,
    Drivetrain – Automatic Transmission/Transaxle –
    • 2006: “ U140F / U241E / U151F / U151E Automatic Transaxle: Automatic Transaxle
    System: Road Test”
    • 2007: “ U241E / U140F / U151E / U151F Automatic Transaxle: Automatic Transaxle
    • 2008: “ U241E / U140F / U151F / U151E Automatic Transaxle: Automatic Transaxle
    5. Install the Authorized Modifications Label.
    A. Using a permanent marker, enter the following information on the label:
    • ECM part number [Refer to the Parts Information section for the CURRENT PART
    NUMBER ]
    • Calibration ID(s) [Refer to the Calibration Identification Chart for the NEW
    CALIBRATION ID(s) ]
    • Dealer Code
    • Repair Date
    • Change Authority [ this TSB number]
    B. Affix the Authorized Modifications Label to the vehicle at the location shown in
    Figure 1. The Authorized Modifications Label is available through the MDC,
    P/N 00451-00001-LBL.
  • thrthr Member Posts: 10
    PAM14, some of us out here are anxiously awaiting the results of your experience with the "fix". I lost arbitration and hope to avoid a lemon law case. I would much prefer that Toyota correct the problem. Basically I like my RAV4 and will go for the "fix". I need to hear that it works. with no bad side effects. thr
  • me1939me1939 Member Posts: 8
    thr:
    After reading pam14's entry I called my dealer and he was unaware of the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB0015-08). He quickly checked and sure enough the bulletin was finally out. I scheduled today to have the software installed. I checked the cruise control shifting problem with the A/C on as I went to the dealership. It still was shifting back and forth from 2nd to 3rd gear on hills. It took the dealer less than an hour after I arrived to upgrade the vehicle's computer software. (My velicle was the first one they had done the software calibration.) I tried to get the service department to test drive the vehicle before I left but they refused. (I guess they wanted to get rid of me quick.)
    I checked the vehicle the same way and at the same place as I drove home and it seems the problem is FIXED.
    I was one of those who foolishly wasted my time with arbutration and lost after being told, "There was no problem...the cruise control was working as designed." They did give me a free 100,000 mile bumber to bumber Platium Warranty - sort as a "gift to the loser."
    Well it looks like after over 7 months they finally have a fix for the problem that "didn't exist." I AM GOING TO HAVE TO WANT A TOYOTA VERY BAD BEFORE EMBARKING ON A SIMILAR JOURNEY AGAIN WITH THE TOYOTA MOTOR CO!
    Wow! me1939, thank you, thank you, thank you, for reporting your experience with
    Toyota's TSB 0015-08, the "fix". Since losing my arbitration case, I have been pretty discouraged. Thanks also for keeping up with the discussion. I am convinced that this problem would have gone unsolved if this forum had not provided all of us an opportunity to communicate and vent our frustration with the RAV4 "buck n Jump" cruise control. The worst part of my experience was not the cruise control, but the near unanamious denial of the problem by theToyota organization. I wonder if the corporate head in Japan would consider the stone walling we faced dealing with Toyota USA as honorable conduct. thr
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I hope both of you kept the address of your arbitrators so you can mail them a copy of the TSB. Don't forget to cc the arbitration association they work for. :shades:
    dtown, thanks for #276. Having T-SB-=0015-08 made all the difference yesterday when I visited my Toyota dealer for a 10k service, free oil change, tire rotation, & Oh! by the way what about TSB 0015 08 of 13 Feb 2008.

On my 45 mi trip to the dealer "bucking & jumping" at will, I wondered what would happen. I got no apologies, no we're sorry for your trouble...Just we will take care of it if you can wait 1.5 hour. I did, and drove home smooth as a RAV4 can travel.

Again, my thanks to Edmunds car space, me1938, pam14,dtown, our hosts, & all others for sticking to this discussion. thr
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    AMEN!!!!!
  • sumrx4sumrx4 Member Posts: 40
    Just called my dealer and arrainged service for the TSB.
    For what it's worth I just took the time to call Toyota customer service (where it all started) and just gave them my opinion on the whole process and how it was handled. What disappointed me was that ,like always, the person I talked with acted no more concerned about my opinions than the sun coming up. I don't know, someone tell me, am I asking too much for someone to at least "act" like they care a little about my problem.
    Most importantly it seems that Toyota has finally fixed this problem that never existed!! :shades:

Thanks to all of you that stuck it out here. After my arbitration was denied I basically gave up. I did continue to check here about once a month to see if anything new had come up and to my suprise it actually did. Again thanks to all who posted here and maybe finally this thread can "RIP"
  • spike5spike5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 RAV4 which has had the same cruise control problems outlined in this forum.

Does anyone happen to know if this TSB also covers the pre-2006 models?

I'm going to check with my Toyota service department, but was curious if anyone with a pre-2006 model has already checked it out.

Thanks.
    :P In answer to spike5's remarks about his Rav 4...I have had the same problem for three years with my 2006 Rav 4... I found about the TSB on line here also, I can not remember what the number was now..but I down loaded and printed it off and took to my dealer, when I asked the service manager about it he said there was no such thing, when I showed it to him he said oh well ok, we will fix it..boy was I thrilled after all this time....well they fixed :confuse: it, I drive it home and could not tell a darn bit of difference.....also I keep hearing about other peoples gas mileage and I can not get even close to what they advertise, my next door neighbor has one just like mine only it is a 2007... we both get about the same gas mileage, from 21 to 23 mpg, regardless how or where you drive it...my best advice is just drive it untill you can trade it off for something else and be sure and take the new one for a GOOD test drive.... has anyone else got a better idea or experence that you can tell us about....just don't tell me all the crap about getting 29 to 34 mpg, cause I do not believe it... :sick: :confuse: :P
  • rav4_turkeyrav4_turkey Member Posts: 1
    Hi there - I have just joined this super forum.

I live in Turkey and have a 2006 RAV4 with the same cruise control problems as outlined in your earlier posts - ie constantly up and down shifts when climbing a grade.

The T-SB-0015-08 February 13, 2008, posted by dtown on 19 Feb 2008, is just what is needed except that I note that it is is only applicable to the 2AZ engine ie the 2.4 litre model.

Does anyone know if the is a separate T-SB applicable for the 2 litre (gasoline) model?

Just like the USA the Toyota specialists here have never heard of the problem or fix either, but they seem keen to learn.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve
  • kjtg1kjtg1 Member Posts: 12
    I had a 2006 and now have a 2010 and have no problems wiht cruse controle. our anytinng else.
  • stevenjjstevenjj Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new here. I see this discussion has been going here on for years but I only discovered it recently when my RAV4 2.4 litre auto started to have the same problem. In fact, I noticed it since new and complained about it at the time of first service at 10,000 km. The dealer told me there was nothing wrong with car or its cruise control. I am an automotive engineer and now, six months later, really took interest in finding out the cause of the problem. Here are my findings:

Apparently, the cruise control is functional only in the 3rd and top gear. When auto gearbox selects 2nd gear the cruise control does not work and this causes the gearbox to hunt endlessly between the 2nd and 3rd gear when driving uphill when cruise control is switched on.

The typical scenario I encounter nearly every day is as follows: I drive the car up a moderate hill with the cruise control set at 80 km and gearbox selector in the “drive”. Typical engine speed at the bottom of the hill is about 2,000 RPM. As the engine struggles to pull the 4th gear up the hill, firstly the 4th gear lock up clutch disengages and engine speed rises to about 2,500 RPM to maintain the road speed. Soon the gearbox selects the 3rd gear and engine speed rises to about 2,900 RPM. Then the road speed starts to drop below 80 km per hour, as the engine is not able to pull the car up the hill at the selected speed. Then the gearbox changes to 2nd gear and the engine speed rises above 4000 RPM.

When the second gear gets selected, one would expect the engine speed decrease dramatically when no throttle is applied because the cruise control is not operational in the second gear. However, in reality quite the opposite is true and this is clearly attributable to a “design feature” unfortunately present in nearly all modern petrol driven motorcars. Toyotas and particularly RAV4 are no exceptions. Under normal driving conditions when engine throttle is closed suddenly, the engine ECU commands the throttle (butterfly valve and EFI injection pulse) to reduce engine speed to idle at a slower rate in order to control engine exhaust emissions. This is a deliberate feature but rather unpleasant characteristic of petrol engines, reducing the engine braking available immediately after closing the throttle.

More importantly, when RAV4 travels under cruise control uphill, this artificial delay in closing engine throttle manifest itself as follows:

When the car travels uphill in the third gear and its road speed decreases below the preset limit, say 80 km per hour, the ECU commands the wide open throttle (WOT) engine operational regime in order to maintain the set road speed. In colloquial terms, the throttle pedal is pulled right to the floor. When the car is still not able to maintain the set speed, the ECU attempts to close the throttle first and then directs the gearbox to change to 2nd gear. Unfortunately, due to the inbuilt delay in returning the engine to idle speed at once, the engine speed raises uncontrollably when second gear is engaged. In my RAV4 the engine speed reaches over 4,000 RPM at that moment and when it finally drops to idle, the gearbox control unit immediately selects the third gear because load on the engine is reduced at idle. When this happens, the cruise control kicks in again, throttle is floored gain and the car is not able to maintain 80 km per hour in the 3rd gear and the gearbox changes to 2nd gear again. This sequence leads to the auto gearbox hunting between the second and third gear incessantly, until the top of the hill is reached, the driver deselects the two top gears by moving the gear selector to the 2nd gear slot, or manually switches off the cruise control.

I also noticed that the problem was less pronounced when the air-conditioning was switched off when going uphill with the cruise control on. This was indicative of the extra engine load from the a/c compressor being the cause of the gearbox changing to the second gear and gearbox “hunting”.

When I read here about T-SB-0015-08 issued in the USA on 13 February 2008 to rectify the exactly same problem I contacted Toyota Australia. At first they did not admit to anything but later advised there was a computer fix available at their dealerships. I am now booked to have the computer software updated next week and will report later.
  • smithcasmithca Member Posts: 2
    I had the Catalytic converter on my Rav4 replaced under the 80K miles/8yr warranty.
    Now only 2 years later, it's failed again.
    I just called the dealership, and was told that there is no warranty on the parts that were replaced now that i'm beyond the 80k/8yr period!
    This sounds like a total rip off .. it means that if you had the parts replaced at 80K miles, if they failed at 8001 miles, toyota takes no responsibility for them?
    Has anyone else encountered this?
  • stevenjjstevenjj Member Posts: 2
    Further to my post No.290 of 2 February I had my engine computer memory re-flashed with the latest software by Toyota Australia today. I understand this software update is available specifically to correct the "gearbox hunting" when using cruise control.
    After the s/w update I traveled several kilometers only but took the opportunity to drive uphill in the location where I experienced the gearbox hunting so often in the past. My initial impression is that the s/w update has solved the problem. The engine feels stronger and seems to deliver more power. When going uphill the engine speed does not drop below 3000 RPM in the 3rd gear and road speed of 80 km per hour is maintained even with the air-conditioning on. Hence, there is no need for the gearbox to change to 2nd gear and the "gearbox hunting" is avoided.
    I tried in vain to find out the new software version number or any Toyota identification number of this modification. Toyota is tight-lipped about this and there is no modification label on my vehicle and no entry in my service book, even if I specially requested it at the dealership.
    My educated guess is that the software update probably involved selection of engine power mode and this may lead to slightly increased fuel consumption, of course depending on usage. I can live with that. I am hopeful the "gearbox hunting" is gone for good but this can only be checked by driving the car for several weeks/months.
This discussion has been closed.