Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Cruise Control Problems

ces1938ces1938 Member Posts: 61
edited September 2014 in Toyota
my Rav 4 has the worst cruse control that I have ever seen, and I have been driving cars with cruse controls for nearly 40 years and the Toyota dealer will do nothing to fix it, they just say live with it, it can't be fixed..... It will down shift with least little hill, sometime all the way down to 2nd gear, it bucks and jumps with the transmission jumping from one gear to another, I can not believe anyone could make a mess out of a cruse control like that... It actually knocks all most 5 mpg off my gas mileage, which is not that great anyway..someone please help me..could a person take the damn thing off and replace it with a after market cruse control that actually works????

Comments

• dtown40dtown40 Member Posts: 18
    Perhaps you should consult another dealer about your problem. Sounds like they just dont want to fix your cruise control. Also, have you checked to see if any TSBs have been put out on this issue? If not, you might want to check that as well.
  • ces1938ces1938 Member Posts: 61
    Thanks, but I guess I don't know what "TSB" means or where I would look to find it, can you help me with that??
    Thanks,
    Charles
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a primer with a link to summary lists of TSBs for your car:

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)

This link goes straight to the TSBs.
    Hey thanks Guy, I will check it out... Charles
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    I have a brand new 2007 RAV4 Base 4cyl (6000 miles on it) that is doing the same thing. With the cruse on, going 60 - 65 mph, up hill it will start shifting in and out of gears, bucking and jumping.... Have you found any answers yet?
    Nope, I have not, sorry, apparently Toyota is using some of the crap that the domestics use to use, the only way to get their attention is to quit buying their cars I suppose, I did that back in 1985 Buick it was junk, been 22 years but after this deal I am starting to look at GM again.. I had the same deal with a 73 Ford, I drove it 12,000 miles and never bought another Ford.... The cruse on our Rav 4's wrecks my gas mileage, how about yours?? I can get 5 mpg better if I don't use the cruse, have you noticed this with you car?? where to you live? I live in Oklahoma where we have a lot of hills, so cruse is constantly shifting up and down, if I drive with out the cruse it does NOT do that... good luck if I find out a answer I will let you know, hope you would do the same for me.... Charles
    I have an appointment with Toyota Service Dept. this morning. They want to replace a solenoid in my transmission to correct the problem. I will let you know if it works....
    Mike
    Hey Mike, hope this works for you, maybe it will work for me, if it does I will be back at my dealer again... This problem is the main thing I have with the car.. I use a power wheel chair and use the SUV to carry it.. I have bad leg problems and like to use to use the cruse control a lot, this one is a total pain in the butt....Hope to hear from you, thanks again.
    Charles
    Well..... I had a call From the Toyota Service Dept. today... After replacing the solenoid in my transmission the problem became worse. Now they are saying they will replace the whole transmission.
    Mike
    Oh gezzz Mike the dealer does not have a clue of what the problem is do they.... well at least maybe this will fix it for you, sure hope so but let me know how it turns out will you, maybe it will give me some info to go to my dealer with or maybe a different dealer if necessary...I still think it is a design problem, that darn computer control for the cruse control just is not as flexable as the old ones were..but we will see...Boy I sure appreciate you keeping me informed Mike, I was ready to have a after market one installed...may yet... talk to you later thanks again, Charles
    Here is a link to a video of my RAV4 problem...
    Charles is this what yours is doing?
    Mike

http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.5b3d3866
    Hi Mike that is just like the way mine does,I finally was able to open your web site.... were they able to fix yours???
    Thanks for posting that, Charles
    They still have it in the shop. I am in a loaner car until they call me later this week. Maybe this will work, but everything that I've read on the Internet points to a computer related problem that deals with the drive-by-wire technology Toyota used in the 2006-2007 Camry and RAV4 with the 4 cyl engine. The computer directly controls the cruse control and throttle. I'll keep you posted....
    Mike
    Yea,Mike,you have found the same info that I have, you know I retired from the Boeing company and they use the "fly by wire" system on their aircraft and it works quite well, so I don't know why they have made such a mess outta this on the car, but if you understand computers than it is not so hard to understand.. computers are not flexible enough for the cruse control, to them it is either right on or not and that just does not work for a cruse control and I can not even imagine a engineer not realizing, hell I did and so do you now, well let me know how it turns out, I am thinking about replacing it with a after market cruse but that ticks me off big time.... that stinking thing has cost them a customer that buys a new car all most every year, either for my wife or me.... thanks again... Charles
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Looks like it's "gear hunting". This is normal. When going uphill take the overdrive off. The little button on the left side of your gear shifter. The indicator O/D OFF will illuminate yellow on your instrument panel. I just saw your video on carspace and told you to take the car to the dealer immediately but after reading your post I knew exactly what you were talking about.
    :)
    Mackabee

P.S. I've been selling Toyotas for the past 10 years and have owned 3 Camrys, 2 Corollas, 1 MR2, and the original Toyota Van LE which used to do what your RAV is doing until I was told about the overdrive switch. Try it and let us know what happens.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Charles, see my post above.
    :)
    Mackabee
    I have the 2007 RAV4 base model with the 4 cyl engine. It has a gated shifter and no overdrive button. You just move the shifter to the left to take it out of overdrive. I have tried shifting it out of overdrive before going up an incline, but it has no effect on the problem. Thanks for your input mackabee.
    Mike
    To mackabee, I have the 4 cyl basic Rav 4 and it has the gated shifter too, and also it makes no difference the stupid thing "hunts gears" like you say, they only way the transmission will work right is if I do not use the damn cruse.... I have been buying cars with cruse control since 1970 and NONE of them worked like this, including a 1996 Camry, a 2002 Honda, a 2005 Camry wtih five speed tranny... this thing is defective either by engeering or by defect in the cruse or transmission... it is nuts, a lot of the time I just have to tap the brake so the cruse will kick off before the damn thing blows up the engine.... thank for the advice tho... Charles
    Update:
    The loaner car they gave me is a Brand New 2007 Corolla LE 4 cyl. automatic. The cruse control works perfect in it... No problems what so ever. There is even more power in the shifting of the gears from a dead stop. My RAV4 tends to have some lag.
    Mike
    Another Update!
    I just got a call from my Toyota Service Dept. They installed the new transmission in my RAV4 and states that it has fixed the problem. I pick it up tomorrow morning. I have my fingers crossed. We will see....
    Look for another update tomorrow...
    Mike
    Hey Mike, I can hardley wait to find out how it goes with your car.... it did not surprise me on the corolla, my wife had one before I bought her the 2005 camry, and like my earlier camry, "4 cyl. and 4 speed trans. it shifted perfect....I think our main problem is the piss poor attitude of most dealerships..... also on the gas milage of these cars, I have heard of some pretty darn good gas milage some guys got on some Rav 4's, I must tell you I am very enveous of your milage, mine sucks, I ended with a 24.5 avg on a 660 mile trip driving 70 mph in the flat country of Kansas.... can't wait to hear from you Mike
    Well.... I got my RAV4 back this morning. It still has the same problem with the cruse control. The bright side of this is that it rules out the transmission as the problem. Also the RAV4 is shifting and responding much better than it ever did. It is very responsive now. I am going back to the service dept. next week and have a technician ride with me so he can see the cruse control problem first hand.
    Mike
    Let me know how it goes Mike, I really never thought it was the transmission at fault, I just think the design of the computer controlled cruse control is the problem...I have been thinking of having this one removed and have an after market cruse control installed, should be able to do that for a couple hundred bucks I would think..I have crippled knees and need a cruse control really bad... than I will be done with Toyota cars for good... thanks Mike let me know
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    can your problem be something simple like a 4 cylinder engine pulling the weight of the rav4? it may need the extra torque from a lower gear to do inclines.
    just a guess.
    This problem only occurs with the cruse control on. When I am using the pedal it shifts normaly...
    Mike
    I took my RAV4 by the dealer service dept. this morning. I gave them a copy of the video I took on a CD in AVI format so they can send it to Toyota National Support if they need too. The technician rode with me and I showed him what the problem was. He was amaised. He had never seen that problem before. They are contacting national support to open a case. I think they are going to replace the computer module.
    I'll keep you informed....
    Mike
    Glad you are doing that Mike, keep us informed, did you tell them that other people are having problems like that too??? As for as the 4 cyl. engine, mine shifts fine if I don't used the cruse, but Toyota should have their butt kicked for not putting in the 5 speed transmisson like they did the Camry 4 cyl car....It is not the weight, my Camry weighs 3351 lbs curb weight and my Rav4 weighs in at 3300 lbs curb weight...Mike how did you show them the AVI video?? Wish I had a laptop I would take it to my dealer and show it them... Thanks so much guys.... Charles
    I received a call from my Toyota Service Dept. this morning. Toyota National Support states that this is a known issue with the programing in the computer module and they are currently working on a fix(Flash Update) to address the issue. All we can do at this point is wait. I will stay on top of this and keep you informed.
    Mike
    You go Mike, boy I was at wits end on this thing and if I had not all ready rigged the car to haul my power wheel chair, I think I would have sold it and bought something else or installed an after market cruse control if possible.. I wonder why they are wasting their money on a fix when all they have to do is replace it with a type that has been used for the last 40 years AND worked.. Boy I am sure glad you were able to get through to Toyota.. Thanks for keeping touch Mike I can not tell you how much I appreciate it...Charles
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    is this cruise control problem only with the 4 cylinder engine?
  • pam14pam14 Member Posts: 12
    I've read the recent postings about the Rav 4 cruise control problems and they are identical to mine. I purchased 2007, 4 cyl Rav 4 sport in March. The service reps and manager were unable to replicate the problem so I also used my digital camera to record multiple images of my tachometer as I drove up small rolling hills.

The dealer's service manager first indicated the processor would be replaced but I received a call yesterday that Toyota engineers are trying to "fix" the problem. A new processor will not help. I've indicated to the service manager that I am not willing to leave this problem open-ended and want a resolution by next week.

I live in central Missouri with plenty of rolling hills but no gut-wrenching mountains. I don't think my RAV 4 could handle the Smokey Mountains.

I previously had a 1997 Corolla and wish I had it back.
    As far as I know... Everything that I have read... It only affects the 4 cyl. models.
    Mike
    Maybe if we voice our displeasure with this problem, they will get something done sooner. I found this on the Toyota website.

Customer Experience Center
    If you would like to discuss your experience or share your comments, please call us. Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.

Phone: 800-331-4331
    Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT
    Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT
    Fax: 310-468-7814

Or send correspondence to:
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501

I am calling today....
    Mike
    Hey Mike and all you guys having problems with your cruse on the Rav 4, I just called Customer Experience Center and told the tech of my problems ... Well the guy basically just blew me off and said that as for as he is concerned it sounds like it is shifting normally, it is supposed to maintain the exact speed that it is set on regardless if it blows up the engine doing it... so much for Toyota's quality control problem solving... hope you guys do better than I have... Oh yeah, my complaint number is ( 200708081405) at the call center, if you call tell them you are having the same problems the rest of us are having..... good luck, Charles
    To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles and I did. My case number is (200708081371). Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.

So far we have 2 case numbers:
    (200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    Hey Mike, I forgot to tell you yesterday that when I talked to the guy at the Toyota Customer Experence Center ( tech rep ) "yeah right :~( he told me that a cruse control is not supposed to be used except on totally FLAT roads...how many of you guys driven in hilly country and not have any trouble with the cruse...I have been driving cars with cruse controls for nealy 40 years and this is the first one that I have had any trouble with...another thing if they ever do fix the darn thing, you will see your fuel ecnomy go UP ... I have tried it both ways and it makes a big difference on fuel economy... hope everyone gets on the band wagon and not let Toyota get away with this mess they made.... reminds back when I used to deal with the big three auto makers and some of the junk they turned out... I spent over 40 years in manufacturing as a quality control inspector and manager and it was not hard to see where the problem was created here... Charles
    I have a complaint # with Toyota now too. The local dealer is providing me with a loaner car this weekend when I go out of town. I have trouble with my back and hips and if I drive the Rav 4 without cruise control my right hip will ache for awhile.
    Pam14, post your complaint number on mike' blog along with mine, would like to get a bunch of them... you seem to have some of my problems driving without a cruse.. at least sounds like you have a good dealer, what are they going to do for you besides loan you a car to drive... Charles
  • crtzlowcrtzlow Member Posts: 16
    Just found this thread and wanted add my two cents. We just returned from Team Toyota in Baton Rouge, La for the new owners info class. 2007 Toyota RAV 4 w/4cylinder engine with 2100 miles. I mentioned to the service manager about while using cruise control going up hill that it was shifting erratically. He and a Master Tech said they had one in the day before with the same problem and had contacted Gulf South Toyota about the problem and had opened up a service invoice on it. They were extremely concerned and told us to disengage the cruise when going up hills to avoid possible damage to the vehicle and for safety reasons. They also added that the solution for the problem would most likely be a software change in the computer or a replacement of the computer. Besides this the vehicle is top shelf.
    I'll see about getting the case number and posting it here for more reference.

Don
    The case # issued to me on Friday is 200708100591. The tech at Toyota Headquarters is to call me today. Pam
    Well Pam, you are doing much better than I have, he just blew me off and told me maybe I had better try another dealer some where... well keep in touch and let us know how it went for you with tech headquarters ... Charles
    Thanks Pam... We have a total of 3 case numbers now.

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam

To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.
  • sumrx4sumrx4 Member Posts: 40
    (200708101001) Gerald

Got this ref# Friday Aug 10th. My Rav4 is scheduled to go back to the dealer tomorrow for the 2nd time about this problem. Hope I don't have to make an --- of myself but I am not going to accept "this is normal" like I did in May. My best friend bought one a few months back and he travels the entire state of VA with it for his job. When I asked him about it he said he had not have any problems with his.
    I don't mind the car having a problem...what I dislike is it not getting fixed.
    Thanks Gerald... We have a total of 4 case numbers now.

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Mike
    Thanks for your input crtzlow. Get back to us with your case number... The more we have, the better chance we have of getting a fix ASAP.

Mike
    Charles.... I think you have started something:)

Mike
  • rayray6rayray6 Member Posts: 12
    I have an 07 4cy Rav4 that I bought in May and the cruise control is unbelievably bad. I like the car in every other way, so I took it to my dealer once and they said it was "working as it is supposed to." I'm heading back tomorrow because I called and said it is just unexceptable. IMAGINE MY RELIEF TO FIND YOUR POSTINGS!

Thank you so much for the case numbers and additional ammunition with which to deflect their blame the victim attitude.

If you want to read other postings I've made and that I'll be taking with me tomorrow on RAV4world and other sites, here they are:

http://forums.automotive.com/70/6352094/toyota/2007-rav4-cruise-control-problem/- - index.html

http://www.topix.net/forum/autos/toyota-rav4/T4L9L8J535IQD8VBU

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=116818&sid=6b1b7f54125104f1f35b01ffb- - 1373b3e

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119538#119538

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119344#119344

ces1938, "Cruise Control on 2006 Rav4" #1, 4 Jul 2007 8:21 am

I'll also post a case number soon, probably tomorrow.

Thanks again. Steve (RayRay6)
    The Toyota Customer Service representative called me yesterday. She indicated that Toyota engineers are aware of the problem and are trying to come up with a "fix."

She also tried to tell me that cruise control should only be used on flat roads--that cruise control should not be used for "hills." I asked her if cruise control should only be used in Kansas. I said I lived in central Missouri with rolling hills, not in the Rocky Mountains.

I also asked her what she meant by "hill:" the height, the degree of incline, and the length. She didn't know and changed the subject. I also said that if cruise control should only be used on flat roads that should be indicated in the owner's manual and a warning given to all buyers of Toyotas. (There's no glory in being right.)

I know four other 2007 RAV 4 owners and none of them have had this problem.

My local service manager has also talked with Toyota Customer Service to try and make them understand the problem--that this is not basic shifting to another gear, this is a transmission that goes nuts when ascending a "hill."

Basically I have two choices like the rest of you--either wait for a solution from Toyota or seek arbitration.

Thanks for listening to me vent. Pam
  • crtzlowcrtzlow Member Posts: 16
    Add mine to the list. This is my wife's car and I am dealing with all this for her. An email to Toyota resulted in the same form letter statement about not using on steep hills, blah, blah, blah, lockbox, etc.

And the winning number is:

200708140250 Cindy

As Bartell's and James said: "Thanks for your support".

Don
This discussion has been closed.