Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Sedan 2008-2009

124»

Comments

• cj7375cj7375 Member Posts: 15
    which car is less noisy on the road - Altima 2008 or Accord 2008 ?
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    After driving both, I'd say the Altima is a touch quieter in virtually all conditions. I think the 3.5SE is a little louder though, due to the 17" wheels and stiffer suspension.
  • nissan_altimanissan_altima Member Posts: 5
    Need to know which one is good Nissan Dealer in Dallas TX area ? I am Need to service my car. Please share your good / bad experiences.
  • ant08altimaant08altima Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 nissan altima 2.5sl. I have it for almost two years now and while I do like my car there has been nothing, but problems. Nothing major, but little things that can be annoying. All my past problems such as rattling in the front of my car and the air bag problems have all been fixed by recall, but now I have more problems. My brakes are squeaking and have been for a long time and I only have almost 15k miles. My emergency brake light goes on while I drive and shuts off when I brake. I don't get why the emergency brake light goes on when I don't touch it and is shut off when I push on the regular brake. My car also when i accelerate makes a chirping sound which is really annoying. I might be driving a 2008 altima, but I sometimes feel like im driving an old piece of garbage. When i first got my car my drivers seat made squake noises so when i went in for an oil change I brought it to their attention and nothing was done. Whenever I go in for service I always tell them about these problems, but unfortunatly while you are their for service its not like they are using your car like you do on a regular basis. They don't fix it cause they cant see whats wrong, but for me I drive everyday and spend more time and the problems always occur for me never for them while its being serviced. This is so frustrating and its my first car and I feel like its time for a new one. Please if anyone else has these problems or something similar reply and let me know what they did for yours.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    1. brake noise is normal. unless its very loud that is. things like brake dust and normal wear will cause noises. on top of that, most cars nowadays use thinner lighter rotors that don't dissipate the heat as well. and no, it isn't a cost savings thing. car manufactures try to save every pound they can off the car to improve mileage

2. If your emergency brake light comes on, then there is a 99% chance is simply needs adjusting. not common, but also no unusual for 15k miles.

3. the seat squirm is a common complaint that has something to do with the seat rails. I'm pretty sure that Nissan has a fix for it, and maybe even a recall. look here link title for more info.
  • 98durangoslt98durangoslt Member Posts: 2
    OK, I hear your pain. Hear mine. All warranty so far. 1. At about 3K miles, after much complaining about the engine being too noisy, course and agricultural sounding, it was replaced. Still pretty offensive to me, but runs fine. 2. An obvious 3 inch razor knife cut (while dealer removed plastic?) was found on the right rear headrest only visible from outside the car. As the dealer felt that I could have done this (?) they did a (very good) repair. 3. The headliner began peeling off all along the rear window. Replaced. 4. The cruise control was out of adjustment and stuck a couple times, refusing to disengage without almost "locking up" the brakes. Scary. 5. The radio display LED's fade in and out and the replacement is on back-order (maybe not just me!) 6. The lumbar support refuses to inflate all the way. Will discuss when radio comes in. 7. At an almost exact speed of 50 mph, the right side mirror makes a very annoying "whistle" above or below 50 it stops. The dealer said there were similar issues on older Pathfinders and they'd watch there intranet for a "fix". In hot or cold weather, not a problem, the window is up. Spring or Fall is annoying. Nothing yet.

If I accelerate at 2000 rpm the CVT allows me to keep up or leave traffic just fine (no tire smoke of course), then the course engine note isn't so offensive and I'm getting great mileage. If problems would cease, I'd really like the vehicle. Cheers!
  • intel8052intel8052 Member Posts: 1
    Well apparently I am not the only one ready to trade this car in already. Bought mine about a year and a half ago and it ran great.. for 4 months.

I got it with 10k miles (should have been a sign I guess) from a dealership. I just hit the 36k mile mark 2 days ago so I suppose I am out of the factory bumper to bumper warranty but I have an additional 2 year 100k mile warranty in addition to factory so I will hopefully be good..

Got the car last may, problems really started around November maybe.

1) September or so I got a rattle in my door (door panel vibrating against the plastic at the A-pillar.. I just stuck a piece of cloth in there and never got around to fixing it.

2) December or so brake rotors suddenly warped. I was working and never had time to bring it in while the dealership was open so I got it in around April maybe.

3) While getting brakes turned, I mentioned my power seat wasn't really working (occasionally the recline feature wouldn't work) so they ordered the part.

4) brought it in to get the seat frame replaced and they were sent the wrong part so after a day w/o the car it hadn't been fixed.. in the mean time they tore my steering wheel leather.

5) Had the seat replaced when the correct part came in, steering wheel then ordered. (apparently the recall airbag part was fixed around this time as well)

6) Steering wheel replaced and now squeeks when i turn it, figured it may be because its new so i left it to see if it would go away, it didn't (sounds like the back of the wheel is rubbing the steering collumn).

7) Drivers side door mirror vibrates and rattles whenever there is any music on and I can hear it over just about any volume level of music.

8) 2 days ago the radio suddenly dimmed until I could barely see it, gave the dash a couple taps and it came back (has been on and off like that since it started, but seems dim all the time)

9) airbag light just came on (flashing all the time).

I really hope they dont give me too much grief about the 36000 miles when i bring it in for the airbag/radio. Plan on mentioning the mirror rattle, steering wheel, and maybe door rattle as well. I cant wait to get out of this car...
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    the raido they might, but the airbag (like your seatbelts) probably has a separate warranty. I don't think it's lifetime like a seatbelt, but should be longer than the bumper to bumper.
  • redbookbikerredbookbiker Member Posts: 1
    I am removed my stock low end radio from my 2008 2.5SL to install a kenwood Navigation system. Because It would take a while I started my car and the air bag light is flashing. I reinstalled the stock system to see if this would eliminate it and it did not. My Kenwood is completly installed and working perfect but the Light is still flashing. It still has a factory warrentee but will they give heartache over the Kenwood.

Or is there something I can do to fix it. I dont know where to start.
    TIA Bob
  • zhshqzyczhshqzyc Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a nissan altima 2009 new car. The milage is already 2300 miles.
    My question is that shall I change oil at 3000 miles?

Thanks
  • vananjvananj Member Posts: 7
    I have always followed the manufacturer service guide which has provided me with reliability, good gas mileage and a car that lasts for many years.

I bought my 2009 Nissan Altima and yesterday had my first 3-month oil change. The mileage was only 2686. The service manual states 3750 miles or 3 months. I am following the service manual on my new car to the tee. It may not guarantee that I will not have problems in the future, but it is definitely a means to preventive maintenance as well as giving me a sense of safety and reliability.
  • wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    I have an 2009 Altima SL. How do I find out the XM radio ID ??
  • sochakovskysochakovsky Member Posts: 8
    I believe if you go to Channel 1 it will tell you our XM ID
  • wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    Thanks...actually, turns out it's Channel 0 and I got the ID...
  • saundraasaundraa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 altima sedan the power seat that moves front or back quit working is this something I need to take to the dealer or self fix it
  • sc_autosc_auto Member Posts: 2
    It depends on what the problem is. It could be a fuse is out, simple to change out. It could be the electric motor went out, not such an easy fix.

Did you buy it from a dealer?
This discussion has been closed.