Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series Starting/Stalling Issues

ricstanricstan Member Posts: 2
This problem is weird. When I turn the key to
start the car, everything shuts down. I mean
everything. No power anywhere in the car.
Sometimes when I take out the key, the instrument
cluster clicks and flashes and power comes back. Other times, I have to open the trunk, manually
with the key because therer is no power. I shake
the wires near the battery and power comes back
on. This does not happen all the time. Jaguar
said the battery terminals were dirty. I don't
think so. Something is causing the entire
electrical system to disconnect. The computer
then resets, the radio loses it's stations, etc.
The main concern I have is WHY is there no power
to anything in car. Is there a main disconnect
somewhere in the car that will do this? Please
help because Jaguar doesn't have a clue!

Ric

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    how well do they check out during a continuity test?

How corroded are they at both ends?

How old is the battery?
  • ricstanricstan Member Posts: 2
    The battery is new and the cables, the ones from the battery to to the junction box in the trunk check out fine. Could it be the cable from the battery to the fuse box in the trunk? Also, the cables from the junction box to the engine. Where do they go?
  • djagmandjagman Member Posts: 5
    CHECK THE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eurobabeeurobabe Member Posts: 2
    When I start my car it starts then immediately shuts off....any ideas,I just bought it 2 weeks ago and this just started.It doesn't make any weird noises just shuts down. Thanks
    Is there a fuel pump shut off switch needing to be turned on?

Sometimes when you disconnect the Negative or Ground cable to the battery, for 30 or more minutes, circuts reset themselves.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    When I first start the car (in a garage) there is a fairly strong smell of gas. No smell until I start it, and no puddles on the floor. The car starts and runs perfectly, and there are no malfunction codes. I can't figure out where it is coming from. Any ideas?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

In the garage? Cold start with electric choke on enables a rich combustion mix that odorizes the garage eminating from the exhaust pipes.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    Thanks. I was a little nervous because the smell hasn't always been there. It started about 2 months ago. We have had unusually cold weather here (northern SF bay area), so that could be it.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• hdjagmanhdjagman Member Posts: 1
    Hello , I have a 1998 XJ8 Jaguar , that was running fine . Drove it to work . Came out at night and now it will not crank at all . Lights come on and all test lights on dash , but no crank . It will not jump off either . The only think that I have noticed different is there is now a flashing red light , right next to the park position on the transmission sellection .
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    Doug
  • gabrielsdadgabrielsdad Member Posts: 4
    I have a '93 XJ6. The car was running fine and then quit. I haven't been able to get it to start again. It will crank over but won't start. I checked fuel pressure and fire at the spark plugs and the engine is in time. When I ran the diagnostic scan, it does not flash trouble codes. It only says "PAO FAIL" repeatedly. I haven't had any luck figuring out what this means. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated. Thanks
  • gabrielsdadgabrielsdad Member Posts: 4
    First I'd like to thank docj for his reply to my query. I had figuered out that "PAO FAIL" was in fact "PAD FAIL" indicating worn brake pads. However, the no-start issue turned out to be a faulty rotor button in the distributor. Thanks again docj! Alan
  • tedski6tedski6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 XJ-S (v-12) and it was running fine. On my way to work it stalled and I haven't been able to start it. It turns over and I have fuel and fuel pump seems to be running. Today I unplugged a wire bundle from the coil (I think) and reconnected it. The can started and ran for 7 seconds and stalled. I haven't been able to start it since than. Some one PLEASE HELP, I'm running out of ideas. :(
  • jagernutjagernut Member Posts: 16
    My 98 xj8 went dead-stuck in park. intermittently for months and a few mechanics.
    My daughter kicked the floor board and it cured the problem. It was a loose wiring harness- under the dash. U can reach it (them) with your hand. The red light is an indication that the security feature is activated.
  • aaronburraaronburr Member Posts: 3
    I own a 99xj8 coming home one nite it stalled on me and would not restart engine turned over and it sounded like it was about to start but did not.Had it taken home checked the fuel pump reset seemed fine,checked fuses&relays seemed ok,took off batt.cables for about 15 min.no change theres plenty of gas,sprayed air intake with starter fluid caught for a moment then died,any suggestions? porsche17 @verizon.net
  • aaronburraaronburr Member Posts: 3
  • rtwohigrtwohig Member Posts: 1
    My 98 xj8 started stalling at highway speeds when decelerating about a year ago. My mechanic has tried several things which seem to correct it for awhile, but it keeps coming back. It is dangerous, since I have to put the car in neutral at 70-80 mph and restart it. Power steering then returns, with control issues. I would like to know if this problem has been reported, and how to solve it. I have an experience jaguar mechanic, but doubt he has done a lot of online searches to figure it out. I have stayed away from the dealership thus far.
  • lollyjomartinlollyjomartin Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just saw this and our 98 is doing the exact same thing. Did you get anywhere with your mechanic or did you figure it out? Driving us crazy.
    Thanks.