Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Electrical System Problems

Comments

• dwgreendwgreen Member Posts: 4
    I took my Durango to a mechanic who adjusted a spring on the break pedal and it's been fine ever since.
  • ohla03ohla03 Member Posts: 1
    How can I fix my tail Light from a 1999 Dodge Durango if bulb has been replaced and fuse and it's neither. What else can I check? I even bought new assembly for tail light.
  • cyber7cyber7 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem. Drove myself crazy trying to find out what controls it!!! I also have one in the rear cargo area on Drivers side that is dead too. The one in the dash works but seems a little light for an inverter. I used one, blew the fuse, replaced the fuse but don't wanna chance using it again. (only a 15 amp fuse) Other 2 are supposed to be 20 amp, but where in the %#&@ are they!!!!????
  • cyber7cyber7 Member Posts: 2
  • jeeemanjeeeman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 dodge durango, the back hatch doesnt have a manual unlock button. and I believe the electric door lock may be broke. its unlocked using a wireless remote. I get nothing when I try to unlock the hatch. rest of the doors unlock. dodge made it so there is no way to unlock that door without a remote. I believe it may be very expensive to have dodge repair it. does anyone know how to get that hatch open. or how to remove the door without damage to the vehicle?
  • roser811roser811 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dodge durango 5.9L. Lately we have been noticing a slight slip when driving,usually between 45 and 55 and it jumps 100-300 rpms.It doesnt ALWAYS do it,but enough to relaize theres a problem! I would hate to shell out 2500 dollars for a new tranny so im trying to find a solution! The tranny fluid is still bright red,as should be,no burnt smell.Any suggestions on what it could be???HELP :[
  • rich129rich129 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get your hatch open if so could you please help me
  • zeke440zeke440 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Durango w/4.7L, the blower motor (front hvac)resistor harness keeps overheating and I lose electrical contact for blower motor operation. I have replace the bulk connector end @ the resistor, I also replaced the blower motor and the resistor with all NEW parts and the overheating of the connector continues. What is wrong here? Is the new blower motor drawing too much current? Please help!
  • schlichtigschlichtig Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Durango. We have had alot of Electrical problems for months. Today tried to start -nothing, absolutely nothing. Took the battery to be tested-they said it was shot. Hook it up still nothing. I have some clicking noises going on all over, behind the dash, the radio, when door is open a clicking noise (relay ?) until door closed. I have no power for anything, windows, radio etc. Suggestions???
  • sexys312sexys312 Member Posts: 2
    I need to know on my 2000 Dodge Durango my turn signal just stop working and I checked the fuse and it seems to be good, I don't know what to do next could you please help me out and provide me with answers to my questions?, Neither one of my turn signals come on at all, however my emergency light flashes just find, what could be the problem?
  • sexys312sexys312 Member Posts: 2
    my 2000 dodge durango did the same thing I replaced the battery and battery cable cords and it stop, no more problem since, disconnect the cable cords from the battery and replace both.
  • unc_jakeunc_jake Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Durango has some weird electrical problems going on with it. It started out with the front blower unit quitting working. Soon after, the radio quit (completely), power door locks quit (unless the key is in the on position), windshield washer fluid pump (completely). When you turn the key off, its as if you unhooked the battery. All power to the entire durango stops. Any ideas on what could be the problem. Is it the ECM? :confuse:
  • jbrobbjbrobb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Durango and my battery goes dead. i have recahrged the battery and it will still go dead. the battery ahs been checked and i was told it was good. does anyone know what is causing the drain on the battery.? everything seems to be shutting off
  • dani18dani18 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problems,my engine went out,car sit for 3 years. I have had to re-do everything under the hood;but now it will not run without cutting off after 2 hours,Dodge dealership said I need to take it back to the shop that did the entire engine work,but when I drove outta shop,they didnt lock my engine in,after they completed repairs,they cracked my windshield. I am so stressed out,I've taken my truck to 3 shops since the repair have been done,now it shut off after being driven for 2 hours,to crank up 2 hours later,please help someone???
  • zipitzipit Member Posts: 1
    Rear hatc door stopped working. Howdo you access the door to work on the problem?
  • dodgefan25dodgefan25 Member Posts: 1
    Hello fellow dodge drivers, I would like to first say i've been a chysler owner for 5 years now, and ive always liked there products, I recently bought a 2006 dodge durango with the 5.7 hemi. First month i owned this truck I loved it, then the 2nd month it started to skip ocasionally. Took it to the dealer they said it was a bad coil pack, they replaced it and on my way home it started skipping again. So I then take it to another shop they fixed a bad wire and sent me on my way, on the way home it started skipping again. I take it back to the shop the next day where they ran some tests and found I had a bad pcm (computer). Ive had this vehicle for 4 months and I have over $1000.00 into it. I talked to the dealer and they said that there was a 80000 mile waranty on it. Which i didnt know. So now its been three weeks and i still dont have my vehicle because the part is on national back order.
  • slomo2slomo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem!
    How did you fix it?
  • shannel28shannel28 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving a few months ago and my radio stop working along with the back windshield wiper, and interior lights. Just recently my turn signals have stop working the signal light does not come on inside nor outside. All the fuses are fine I just don't know where to look or who I should be calling to have it fix. Does anyone else know?
  • 2004dodgeowner2004dodgeowner Member Posts: 1
    did you solve this problem? If so, what did you do?

Thanks for the info!
  • bbrown13bbrown13 Member Posts: 2
    I am also having the same problem with a 2005 durango.. Did you fix your problem??
  • bbrown13bbrown13 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new battery in June, because dealer said battery was reading dead. Since i put in new battery, everything fine except no cd player on radio. Then 9/2/ car 100 % dead again.. This time 24 hrs before when got in unlocked car horn went on and stayed on after car was started and put in gear and was driven several feet. The drove it about 50 miles before battery went dead. It is like something is drainging the battery.. Any ideas before I take it to the garage and they rip me off??
  • jcubed3jcubed3 Member Posts: 1
    Shannel,

You probably ARE blowing a fuse....just not one that is in the fuse box that is on the drivers side dash...you have probably blown a MAIN 40AMP fues in the box over the drivers side Wheel under the hood! I ran into a similar issue. I blew the 40 AMP main and all that stuff wouldnt work...I replaced the fuse and would blow it a few days (maybe minutes) later.

The problem was that I actually USE my emergency brake when I park in my driveway. There is a bundle of wires that are right next to the gear teeth on the top of of the E-Brake pedal Over the years...those wires rubbed against the gear-teeth until the insulation wore off. Then when I applied the E-Brake....sometimes it would short that wire ...blow the main fuse...and ALL the stuff you listed....wouldnt work anymore.

Solution: Cover the exposed wire with electrical tape. ZIP-TIE the bundle further up in the dash....replace the MAIN fuse. No problems since.

Good luck!

JJ
  • biggdbobiggdbo Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, I have no advice ... but I'm having very similar problems, so if you figure it out, please let me know - and I will do the same!

My 98 Durango drains the battery every time it sits for more than a couple hours. Took it to a shop who couldn't find anything wrong, despite spending around 10 hours on it. For now, we are unhooking the battery EVERY TIME we shut it off for more than a few minutes, but that's a pain in the butt and I'm sure it's not good for the battery, either. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • repair56repair56 Member Posts: 1
    Pull the plug on rear wiper motor, It does not complete its cycle and continues to draw current, about 8 amps and will kill battery in a few hours to a day and also check light under hood by pulling connector off and check fuse #12 inside fusebox in truck and replace if blown after doing the above. These 2 items, rear wiper and under hood light fix a lot of electrical problems when disconnected. Interior lights start working and radio starts to keep proper time, etc. etc. Hope this helps.
    Wow - thanks a bunch! The hood light hasn't worked in a while, but the rear wiper was just as you described - about halfway through it's cycle. So I unplugged it, and so far it's been a little less than a week with no battery drain! I can't tell you how excited we are - this has been a constant pain in the butt for MONTHS now. Once again - THANK YOU very much! It's amazing that something that has been so vexing for us can have such a simple solution...
  • jveiglijveigli Member Posts: 1
    I see this problem happened quite a while ago. Now my vehicle is doing this also. Does anyone know what the solution was? I hope its not one of the control modules.
  • boydfboydf Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Simular Problem have had my 2000 durango for 3 months no problems at all until tonight. Drove the Durango to the store came out dashlights where acting not normal and the truck would not start. I tried jump starting the truck it would start immediately but than die just as quickly. The Durango is still in the store parking lot, after reading some of these post I am curious if it will start now that it has sat for a few hours. My initial thoughts was a bad alternator, but I have never seen one go out so absolute so quickly.
  • dwgreendwgreen Member Posts: 4
    My rear hatch was going up, hit the garge door and came back down. Now it won't lift out at all. I've disconnected the battery as a reset but it still won't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Damien
  • shegoofshegoof Member Posts: 1
    NOTHING works anymore... got a tune up and works great, all except.. no BACK WINDSHIELD WIPER Functions. ABS light always on and Emergency brake light always on... speedometer works ONLY AFTER 40 mph...2 days after tune up..NOTHING when turned the key. fuses and battery ok. VERY FRUSTRATED... cannot seem to get a brake with this vehicle. Any ideas at all? battery anf fuses ok, fusible link? wiring? HELP PLEASE with any ideas.
  • dodgedurango1dodgedurango1 Member Posts: 1
    unc jake
    I am having the same problem. My blower went out, turn signals do not work, and the radio as well. The radio and turn signals go on and off. Do you know what this could be? Some please help! My durango has been in the shop 4 times now.
  • johnny717johnny717 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2004 Durango Hemi, never had a problem with the radio...now, just changed alternator and radio now turns on, crackles, speakers play for about 15 seconds, then crackle again, and sound/speakers cut out. The radio appears to work perfectly, but without sound! I can shut it on and off but sound will not come out of speakers. BUT, this repeats every time I shut car off and restart it for another trip? I tried playing radio on just battery (without alternator running) and the same thing happens..Anyone have a clue?
    Thanks, J
  • verahverah Member Posts: 1
    This happened to my Durango. I took it in and they had to replace both side lift gate shocks. This solved the problem. It was under warranty so I have no clue of the charge - sorry.
  • lawsuit1990lawsuit1990 Member Posts: 1
    how do you unplug the rear wiper motor??? having the same exact problems
  • tnboyinaltnboyinal Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Durango acts like the battery is low when starting the truck and then starts. The battery, alternator and charging system check out good at the autoparts store. One time the vehical would not start at all and the solenoid just clicked...i.e. like a dead/low battery, then an hour later started and had trouble running. Went straight to the auto parts store for a new battery and all checked out fine. Could it be a weak starter?
  • karismithkarismith Member Posts: 1
    THIS IS THE THIRD TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED WHILE I WAS DRIVING IN THE PAST 4 MONTHS. THE AIR BAG LIGHTS WILL COME ON & OFF WHILE DRIVING. (BOTH THE PASSENGER & DRIVER SIDES LIGHTS SEEM TO ALTERNATE.) THIS TIME ALSO THE 4 WHEEL LOCK LIGHT BLINKED ON & OFF DURING THE 50 MILE TRIP GOING 70 MPH. WHEN I TURNED ON MY WIPERS THERE WAS A CHIME/DING. ONCE WHEN I ROLLED DOWN THE WINDOW THE WIPERS CAME ONE. ANOTHER TRIP TWO MONTHS AGO WHEN THE AIRBAG LIGHT WAS ACTING UP & I TURNED ON MY BLINKER TO CHANGE LANES THE WIPERS CAME ON. I ALSO JUST REALIZED THAT THE DOOR LOCKS NO LONGER UNLOCK WHEN I TURN THE VEHICLE OFF. I HAVE TO MANUALLY DO IT NOW. ALSO IT USED TO AUTOMATICALLY LOCK THE DOORS WHEN I PUT THE VEHICLE IN DRIVE AND THAT HAS
    BEEN ACTING UP PERIODICALLY. THE ICING ON THE CAKE WAS YESTERDAY WHEN I WENT TO PULL INTO A PARKING SPOT AND THE VEHICLE COMPLETELY SHUT OFF AND ALL THE WARNING LIGHTS ON THE DASH ILLUMINATED, I JUST TOOK IT TO BRIGGS DODGE IN TOPEKA, KS AND THEY CANNOT DUPLICATE THESE ISSUES AND SHOW NOTHING WHEN THEY HOOKED IT UP. THEY TOLD ME THAT DODGE HAS A "STAR CASE" ON FILE AND THAT STATES THAT DRIVERS ARE CAUSING THESE PROBLEMS TO OCCUR. (i totally disagree& think this is a cop out) THEY ARE TELLING ME I GENERATE TOO MUCH STATIC ELECTRICITY! HUH? I FIND THIS VERY HARD TO BELIEVE. I AM VERY DISCOURAGED AND FRUSTRATED. I GUESS WHEN SOMEONE IS KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT FROM ONE OF THESE FAILING, THEN MAYBE THEY WILL OWN UP TO THE PROBLEMS AND FIX THEM. PLEASE HELP! WHAT DOES ANYBODY ON HERE THINK? THERE ARE MANY OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE HAVING THESE ISSUES WHEN I SEARCHED THE WEB. WHAT SHOULD I DO? JUST START LOOKING FOR A NEW VEHICLE OR IS THERE A FIX OUT THERE?
  • littlefingerslittlefingers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge durango and for some reason the engine will not shift correctly pass 40 mph...it feels like it is always pulling. I got a code reading from Advance Auto and it said that I need a speed sensor but when I took the SUV to a couple of transmission mechanics they said I need a whole new transmission!! Also, here lately I have a hard time trying to start my vehicle. It clicks for about 10- 15 mins before it turns over...again Advance showed that there was nothing wrong with the solenoid, starter, alternator or battery. Anyone having the same problems...if so, what has been your remedy? I am trying to see if the problems that I am having are worth fixing or should I just trade the darn thing in for something else before I have to spend any more major money!
  • nikki1985nikki1985 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, so I have a 2004 dodge Durango. I keep up with the maintenance but I keep having this issue where my battery dies. At first it was the alternator. So I got that replaced. So I started to notice that my radio would stay on once I pulled the key out and lock the door. At first I didn't pay it any mind until I go to start my truck and it wouldn't turn over. So after I got a jump I ran the car for 15 minutes and drove it around. So I started to take the face off the radio. That seemed to work for a while. Now I am having the same issue and I don't know what to do. Can someone please help me???? I am beyond frustrated and I have put well over 6000 dollars into this vehicle. But now it seems to be for nothing..... Help please!!!!!!!
    When I had a similar problem with my 1998 Durango, it turned out to be my rear wiper- even though it was off, it never actually shut itself off. We had to take apart the interior panel of the hatch, and just disconnected the wiper. So we don't have a rear wiper now, but we haven't had a battery problem since.
    Hope that helps.
  • patrick84patrick84 Member Posts: 1
    Did you figure out the issue nikki I am having the same problem
  • tmartin63tmartin63 Member Posts: 19
    You have an electrical short somewhere in the vehicle. Bring it to a shop that is skilled in diagnosing electrical problems. It should not cost you more than $100 ti diagnose (not repair) the problem. If they try to charge you more than that to diagnose go to another shop. Good Luck!
  • langelorolangeloro Member Posts: 1
    2005 Durango SLT - I turn off the vehicle, and all lights. The interior lights go off, for about a minute or two, then go on again, then go off again, then go on again...kills the battery eventually! Any ideas what the heck is going on?? THANKS for any responses!
  • shawn694umeshawn694ume Member Posts: 2
    sarek68 said:

2005 durango SLT. when it is warm outside- no problems.when temp drops, and truck is started every idiot light comes on. i have no headlights, no wipers, no turn signals, no rear wiper or defrost, no radio- --fan motor works- when heater warms the truck up inside (about 10 minutes) all the electrical stuff comes on and works fine. the check engine light does not go out most of the time.
    Any body else have this problem??? my mechanic can find nothing anywhere other than starting to throw parts (and my dollars at it)

• shawn694umeshawn694ume Member Posts: 2
    2006 dodge durango everytime it rains all my dash lights come on things turn on or off like wipers heater stereo tach speedometer they will go on and off working and dashlights do same so i have been researching everwhere online to find an anwser dealer says computer but its only in rain so im not throwing that kind of cash so i tried this AND IT WORKED!!! the rubber seal that meets the windshield run tape over to make a tight no leak seal also on the corners where the cowl meet the fender tape the little hole where the rubber ends from the windshield then open hood tape the top screen on passenger side closest to windshield off as computer is mounted under that and last take silicon spray and spray all the wires under the hood top of fuse boxes the bcm computer in front of the fuse box i did all this the night prior to it raining and no dashlights going nuts truck runs normal no problems at all hope it helps you guys
  • territrinderterritrinder Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Durango caught fire in my driveway on 8/28/17, the Fire dept. says it was electrical. What do I do now? Only had liability ins. The gages were going off & on & it kept trying to start itself and the keys weren't in the ignition.
  • AmandaAmanda Member Posts: 2
    I have open gate light that comes on. When it comes on the power locks, radio, and head/taillights don't work. However the windows work and it still drives. Any iswaiwhat to do about trying to fix it? Usually happens when it's hot outside. It's a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2L

• ekraus02ekraus02 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Bought my '04 Durango back in August '18. Replaced the alternator a week later. My battery light came on randomly beginning of January '19 popped the hood, the wire connecting the alternator to the battery melted causing the battery to arch to the alternator and blow it, replaced the alternator and repaired the wire in shop, 2 weeks later same thing happens. Shop is telling me that it is the Computer telling the alternator to charge the battery causing it to overcharge and overheat resulting in melting the wire and blowing the alternator. Dealer is telling me that it is because its an Autozone alternator on the car. Shop then decided that they are going to rewire to where if it happens again it is 100% a computer issue. Anyone else have anything like this happen before? I can't see replacing the whole wiring harness and spending over 2k to do so if its really just the computer.

Also, there is absolutely no warning when it happens. Just randomly the battery light comes on and have to get it in shop ASAP.
  • mamasboymamasboy Member Posts: 7
    my 2004 dodge durango 4 mnths after buying it i had to put new motor in it 7 500 for it 3mths later a rear end now im having a starting proble took it to dealer twice 5500 both times still doing same thing took it to a indapendant mechanic 5800 and still doing it brokedown in missiori wouldn't start took it to dealr 5000 again and still dose it.turn the key and all u hear is kink or just barely turns sometimes it hits hard then putters out replaced brains everytime all 4 o2 sensrs crank shaft sincer start batterynothing left in saveings to fix it now and so much invested im stuck.and disability aint gottit like that not even for vets gave up after trying for 45 min last night barrowd moms came home after bout hr as i walked by it tried it again started no prob this smorning pice crap again.think im going to coseeed and install a wire from pos baatery to my dash and one from starter and p6t a toggle swich in bc it starts everytime that way.anyone figure it out.then your smarter than yorks motors from crawfordsville indiana
    nothing left to take it anyware im watching youtube videos and trying to do it but dang frustrateing [non-permissible content removed] hell
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Are these numbers you are posting accurate? You've spent almost $30,000 trying to fix a 2004 Durango? If so, just junk it and move on. This is a money pit.
    tnboyina u me same prob mine o4 durango