Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata 2008

molterdmolterd Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Mazda
Any information on the 2008 Miatas? The pricing is available at
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/pricing_update/MX5-2008-pricing.pdf

Any information on the details of configuration?

Comments

• gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    2008 looks to be largely a carryover year for the MX-5. No new colors and only minor feature and interior changes. The saddle colored interior will have less pumpkin colored plastic and top models get driver's seat height adjustment and a 6-disc changer as standard. PRHT still seems to be in limited supply.
  • sher2327sher2327 Member Posts: 43
    It's almost impossible to find these cars. I had to travel about 400 miles to a dealer to see a 2007, which was sold before it arrived at the dealership! After much research and shopping in several states to find one, I learned that the 2008 model had exactly what I needed, the seat height adjustment. I was sold and found a dealer who could order one for me. Since dealers are allocated only a certain number of orders per month, it wasn't easy to find a dealer who could order! What an ordeal, you would think that Mazda would push these cars out quicker due to demand. The price is still under $30k and it seems people aren't bothered by the price. Paid MSRP + delivery and am looking at a 6 month wait, just in time for spring 2008. :)
  • ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    There is a Special Edition GT coming out in 2008 which is icy blue with saddle brown leather (kind of looks dark brown) interior and dark brown rag top. The icy blue looks really nice in the picture. Mazda is calling the current saddle color "saddle tan" for the 2008s.
  • hercules1hercules1 Member Posts: 1
    what dealer did you find that would order it? I have been trying to special order one and all the dealers keep telling me I cant! Even if I want to pay cash for it!
    You'll have to find a dealer that has an allocation to be able to order one. I looked in several states close to me and found one in St. Cloud, MN. They cannot order again until October. You can find 08 PRHT in southern states, but if you don't want all the expensive options that dealers order on these cars for their lot, you'll have to special order and wait. That's what I did :D
  • destrydestry Member Posts: 58
    I have a 2007 MX-5 Roadster and love it...For those of you wanting one, it's a fun car and it's fun to drive! :shades:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Call me, I can order one for you! j/k...not allowed to do that here...but, seriously, dealer allocations are slim once again, and once allocations are filled, we have to wait for the chance to order again. That might be the problem that you are running into.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Anyone know of a larger seat for 2008? I have emailed Mazda, but this is the long weekend, so I doubt a reply back anytime soon, unless they are working without holiday. Which is possible. Haven't a clue where the email goes to. Anyway, the current seats are too narrow.
    Loren
    Same seat. Only difference is you can adjust the height.
  • harryhoffnerharryhoffner Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad to see that. But I sure wish the passenger seat also would have height adjustment. My wife won't let me buy a MX-5, because she says the seat is too low. And I don't plan to let her do all the driving!
    :cry:
  • gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    Ordering one of these cars is not for the faint of heart. You have to be someone who can sit quietly and wait. If you try to ask for a status, you will either go no information or wrong information. I've been waiting since April and I have two more months to go. I could write a book detailing the hassle I've experienced. And I'm not alone. Mazda allocates these cars quarterly and that's all we know for certain. Best of luck to those who've ordered. Sit tight.
    You are right about the allocation method. We have only had 2 allocations, and only been allowed to order 3 in each. One came in and has been delivered. Out of the other 5, 3 are already sold.

If you plan to order one, you have to wait for the next allocation for that dealer, which may be a month or more from when you left your deposit with the dealer. I know this sucks, but, it is what it is.
    I agree with you on the seats being narrow!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure you could put in a spacer, or have a metal shop fabricate a taller bracket.

I have spacers on the front of my 93's seat track, to raise the front of the seat and give me some thigh support.

It's a small change, though, maybe 3/8".
    :confuse: What kind of hassles have you experienced? Did your dealer enter the order directly into Mazda (via computer) while you were present? It's sounding like dealers are making promises they aren't keeping, i.e. saying they have been allocated a PRHT, but maybe ordering a few months later?
    A dealer can take an order whenever they choose, the problem is, the dealer can only actually "place the order" once a month, when allocation is due. If in that allocation, the dealer is not allowed to order a PRHT, then you must wait until the next allocation the dealer is allowed to. Make sense?

A Mazda dealer cannot just "enter the order directly into the computer" when the customer is there. It just does not work that way.
    I did watch the sales manager enter it directly into the computer and assume it was Mazda website. It's been one month and still no notification from Mazda that the order is being processed, but the sales manager is confident it's in process and he will be forwarding the VIN # to me when he receives notification. He told me 6 months to delivery so that is what I'm expecting. I wish there was a way to track progress through Mazda but there isn't. Frustrating. If delivery takes beyond 6 months I will be very unhappy! The anticipation of this car is very high :)
    I watched him enter the order, he even said this was the neatest part, i.e. to be able to watch the order get placed directly to Mazda. This dealer did have one allocation spot in August to fill and I assume it was me and what I saw was factual! It better have been or I will be extremely :mad:
    I was told the seats are the same in width for 2008 Miatas. Well I sat in one yesterday, and I am thinking it does feel slightly wider. Or maybe I lost a couple of pounds???
    Loren
    Those hoops, alias roll bar hoops, actually too low for most drivers height? Yeah, I am one of those guys which buy a roll bar for soft top cars, just seems like the thing to do to save thy head. Loren
    Last week, I went to Skip barber Racing School at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, CT. Mazda is one of the brands of choice to race with Skip Barber, as well as BMW and Porsche. I must say, we drove the MX-5 on an autocross track, and the car was just amazing. Now I know why the MX-5 has been highly regarded as a true sports car with lots of racing credentials. Kudos Mazda for building such a true performer.
    Now that's what I call a fun job! Sounds like fun.
    It was a lot of fun. The instructors said it was the best job they ever had.
  • thepiper3000thepiper3000 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer told me they were ordering my PRHT MX-5 on 6/6/07. I was told it would be arrive within 2-3 months (at the most). I was then told in August that I would have my car no later than 9/8/07. Now the dealer has told me that 9/8/07 was the day construction of my car would start, and I would have to wait another 2-3 months. I am most disappointed! By the time I get my car it will be just in time to drive it over to my storage facility. This car had better be worth it!
  • miatamama1miatamama1 Member Posts: 41
    IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT! I got a grand touring PRHT but found one in another city. I have had it a week. I have taken lots of people for a spin. They all want one now! :)
    I wonder if the popularity of this model will bring down the price of used 06s, which I'm considering...

:shades:
    You got an '08? I sat in one the other day, and I think it has a little more room in the seat. Or maybe it was just that particular seat or it was all my imagination. If anyone has an opportunity to sit in the '07 and '08 model the same day, like in a Miata club run day, please let me know if those seats feel different. L
    Who knows. I just know when I go to the auction, the 2006+ are bringing more money then I can spend on one, and actually sell retail at a reasonable price. To me, that means the value is to high right now.

With the extremely low production numbers of the PRHT, I do not think it has much affect on the rag tops resale value.
  • miatamama1miatamama1 Member Posts: 41
    I don't have specifics, but I was told by a dealer that there is more head and leg room in the 08's. He told me how much but I have forgotten. I am not sure about the seats being wider. I did get a 2008.
    What's the auction price?

I see then dipping to about $16-17k on the retail market. I'll probably snap one up when they get closer to $10k.
    I mainly look for 2006's, Grand Touring trim with the 6-speed tranny. They sell the best. According to my whole sale value, Galves, they should be 15,500-16,600. I am seeing them run at STARTING bids of 17,000-18,000. Invoice on a 2008 GT 6-speed is $23,993 (with regional assessment and transportation). We are talking only $6,000 off from invoice to whole sale value in 2 years. That's just crazy. Good for resale, bad if you are trying to buy and resell. I do not consider the MSRP the true value on these cars, because everyone negotiates.

Now, say I purchase a 2006 MX-5 with decent mileage, say around 20K, for $18,000. I have to put it through my shop. Say it takes $500 in the shop for a safety inspection, up to date servicing, etc...Now I own the car for $18,500. Now it's time to turn the car for a profit. I'm going to ASK what Edmunds.com says the car is worth just as an example. The tag in the window will read, according to Edmunds, $20,860. Not bad, right? Oh wait, then the question come up "how much for a new one?" Well, you can read the window sticker "it's $24,990". Then the customer want's a deal on the used one. I have never sold a used vehicle for what Edmunds, KBB, NADA or any publication has said it should sell for. Usually much less, and call me greedy, but, we don't sell used cars for less then a $2,000 profit. We give new vehicles away all day long, we need to make money somehow! :shades:
    Yup, hence it's just too soon for me to start shopping for a 2006. :(
    Your best bet would be to go to an auction, if you know someone who is licensed to purchase at an auction, and buy there. If you can wait a few years before you upgrade your toy, then that's not a bad idea either.
    My wife's cousin is married to a dealership owner. He helped my wife's aunt get a Benz S-class that way.

It would be a big favor, but when the time comes, maybe I'll ask. His dealership is in Texas but he comes up near me for the auctions, I think around Baltimore, MD? :confuse:
  • wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    Just picked up my Stormy Blue PRHT last Sat.I ordered it on Memorial day and was told it would be in mid August,one month later I was told it would be mid Sept.then was told second week of Oct. but it came in Sept. 29th.It was a long wait but well worth it!!only have 250 miles on it so far but it is so SWEEEEET,I watched the summer go buy,but I have to say be patient,when I first saw one the lady waited 7 months for hers,this is the best toy I have ever had!! :)
    Congrats!

No worries, around here, convertible season is right now! July and August are just way too hot and humid.

Fall is the ideal season. You have nearly 3 months until the official start of winter.
    I live in Charlotte, NC and we had over 77 days of high 90's and very humid and over 7 days in the low 100's. It's finally cooled down to the 80's and I can finally enjoy driving with the top down. Loving it! :)
    :) Hey that's awesome! That color really shines. My Galaxy Grey Mica on order was purchased based on seeing a 07 Blue Mica which was the only one in my region. If mine comes in 4.5 months I will be thrilled. I'm being told 6 months. I did receive acknowledgement the other day from the dealer who mailed to me the Mazda confirmation sheet showing production date and VIN#. Now I'll be watching for the other dates on the sheet to fill in. After conversing with some people on this site I was doubting what my dealer told me about placing the order into the Mazda system. It really does work like he told me it did so I'm happy about that. Enjoy driving that beauty for another month or so. Does the top work as effortlessly as it looks? Congrats :)
    The Galaxy Grey Mica was my first choice,my wife really wanted me to go for the Copper Red but I couldn't see me in that color (although its nice)but when I saw this lady in Minnesota picking up her stormy blue,I was sold. When I got back home to northern Ill. I went right to the dealer and put money down on the only one they had allotted for the
    '08's first shippment.The top works like a dream,I love to show it off to everyone I see. And last monday it was pouring rain when I went to work,so for the first time I drove with top up,no leaks and the sound system is much more intense,but i'll take a nice day with the top down any time :shades: . when I put it down its very quiet also,not sure if i will get 3 more months of top down weather but I'm gonna go as long as I can.
    I wish I lived in an area that has a little less cold weather than here in northern Ill. but I'm stuck here for a while, we don't get too many snow days so I'm going to put some good winter tires on it and drive it all year,we do get a lot of warm spells through out the winter,but your right this time of year is perfect
    So how long did you wait to get your PRHT? I'd drive it top down as much as possible, winter or not. Isn't that what heated seats are for! HA... Enjoy :)
    I was very lucky. I went to the dealership and they had ONE in Brilliant Black Clearcoat sitting on showroom floor. I grabbed it and love it....
    Ordered on May 28, delivered on Sept. 29th the dealer by me said he had one "08 PRHT allotted for them so I was able to put the options that I only wanted on it,and I put $3,000 down to make sure I would get it, there were a few around he could get for me but they didn't have the color with the options I wanted,they were all sports with the ground effects package and didn't have the performance package 2,I figured I'm going to have this toy for a while so I didn't want to settle for what they could just find for me,and I'm glad I waited because the "08's have the 6 disc changer at no extra cost,the seat risers & tire moniters also,it was the longest 4 months of my life,and I will bundle up put the heat/heated seats on and drive top down every chance I get :D What are they telling you on delivery date?
    :shades: I'm looking at Jan-Feb 08. Ordered in mid-August. It is very difficult waiting, I fully agree with you. I didn't want to settle for color or options either thats why I ordered too. Thanks for sharing your information. Using this forum helps get through the "waiting" period!
    The BBC really shines. That was my second choice just because my last three new cars have been black so I had to get something different. It is super-sharp though. Congrats :shades:
    2008 PRHT #2 just came in. As it turns out, it was sold on Saturday. Once again, I have no more on my lot. I have 4 more comming until I am allowed to order more.

If anyone here has the opportunity to reserve one incoming, please do so. Us dealers are not being allocated very many! Don't miss out on your chance to own one!
  • thepiper3000thepiper3000 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I'm at 4 months and still waiting :-( !!!!
    Does anyone know if the cars come more quickly once the weather starts to turn colder?? Or will I still be waiting come springtime?
    I have no clue? Sorry!! :(
    What dealer did you order it from, and I can tell you when you will get it. Actually, if you know what the "dealer code" is, I can look it up for you.
  • reufimreufim Member Posts: 13
    I am in the market for a roadster and after considering many options (TT, Boxter, Z4, Solstice, Sky, etc), I have decided to go with the Miata. It is for me more comfortable, fun, and budget wise more reasonable.

Since I have never owned this car before, can anyone please help me decide the best options to have in the car and what I should be considering as a whole in the buying process (not sure if I will buy or lease).
This discussion has been closed.