Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Steering and Suspension Problems

1235»

Comments

• lenmikelcook - I have an 05 New Beetle, only 45,000 miles and am experiencing the same problem. While driving to work, I caught a curb which didnt seem like a big deal. I thought it would just be the allignment. However, when I took it to get the alignment adjusted, they told me I had bent the axle and it would need to be replaced. Hello $1,400. However, what I thought was interesting is that the dealerships keep these axles in stock all the time. Apparently it is a very common problem and easy to do (It was just a curb). Perhaps it was just a matter of hitting one to many potholes? Either way, just know that it is very common with VWs.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    "Just" a curb? You biff a curb and something IS going to bend and generally going to be a big deal on any vehicle. And as far as dealers keeping axles in stock, that may have more to do with the number of distracted drivers on the road than a "problem" with a vehicle. Here's a photo of a short stretch of road in my neck of the woods. See that bike lane that disappears on the right side of the road? The curb there is painted bright yellow, there are reflective posts, there's that white line marking the edge of the lane, and I've still personally seen three vehicles drive straight into that curb. And there are new marks on it almost as soon as they repaint it.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• OK.. I have a 68 bug with camber issues on the both front tires.. I haven't really worked on bugs so i don't know whats all involved with the suspension on these.. is it just as easy as adjusting to toe in/out? :confuse:
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    It's kinda hard to argue the practicality between a Yaris 5-door and an xA, no? Wouldn't it be the same for all intents?

Don't like the xD much myself.....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,780
    Yeah pretty much now but not always.

• the Scion xA wins hands down over it's replacement the Scion xD. I have done enough research on the Scion xA and test-driven it to know that I would be way happier with an xA than a xD.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• VW Beetle 2013 i was about to turn so i slowed down. And wheel was logged i couldnt move i was right in the middle of road
    engine was working, gear stick was shuffling, yellow battery sign appeared. i tried couple of times to restart, than i waited 2 min it worked. i have to drive the car, i cant take it to service so do you think could be happen again? also for service i have to drive almost 40 miles on freeway. i just bought from a dealership previous owner was rental company
  • helshels Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my VW Beetle 2005 1.9TDi only yesterday. I was turning right and had slowed down and started to turn and my steering locked and the engine was running, the red battery sign appeared. I slowly continued on into the turn and braked at the kerb as I could not steer. There was someone behind me who managed to avoid hitting me. I then restarted the engine and it has been fine since then and I have travelled 40 miles in it so far being very careful when turning corners. I am worried it will happen again.
1235»