Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008/09 Subaru Impreza STI

rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
edited April 2014 in Subaru
Not sure as to how this model will be introduced here next winter ('08 or '09?), hence the thread title.

In any event here's an Edmunds video of the STI, in full camo, over in Germany.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=121620

Latest rumors indicate that this car will be introduced at the Tokyo auto show this fall.

Bob

Comments

• dinterndintern Member Posts: 24
    Couldn't find it in the feature list. How come? The other fancy features like Navi and Climate are there, why is the roof left out?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Good question—and you're not the only person asking it.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The last gen didn't have one for several years. It'll show up in a year or two, is my guess.

You want a big moonroof? Get a Forester! That has a HUUUUGE one! :shades:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The lack of a sunroof wouldn't bother me --- not as much as the lack of a 5-sp auto, or a 6-sp manual.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    6 speed manual will be offered in the impreza actually. Not as a stand alone option but in the highest trim level aka STi.

-mike
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    OK, I didn't know that. But still, honestly though, when a Honda Fit has a 5-sp auto; a 6-sp auto and manual in the MINI; 6-sp auto in the Rabbit, etc., doesn't Subaru deserve a kick in their corporate groin for putting a 4-sp auto in the new Impreza? :mad:
    For one thing, most of those cars you mentioned are very torquey cars with a very narrow torque band, that's why you need a 6-speed in them because the usable torque range is about 700-1200 rpms. On the subies, much like american push-rods have a fairly wide torque band, and with that, you don't need a gear to keep you in that narrow torque band.

For instance I have an 05 LGT Wagon w/5MT, I rarely use 2nd gear and often don't use 4th either. Why? The torque band is wide enough that I can do 1-3-5 or 1-3-4-5 on most upshifts.

Before you throw out the "but the GTO and the Vette have 6MTs" that 6th gear in them is used for ultra-low RPMs at 65mph to help them avoid the gas-guzzler tax.

-mike
    Found this over at Nabisco from someone in Canada (I'm assuming):

Just got notification that the 2008 Impreza WRX STI' are now able to be ordered. Production should begin in November with dealer deliveries in January.

Here is all of the info that they gave:
    White, Black and WRB will come with Gold Wheels
    Spark Silver, Dark Grey and Midnight Blue (new color) will have Silver rims.
    Heated seats
    Side Curtain Airbags
    18" BBS Rims
    Navigation System
    Vehicle Dynamics Control
    "SI" Drive
    MOMO Steering Wheel with Audio Controls
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    Black Interior
    On a side note, it looks like the 2009 Forester will be available in March or April of next year. Apparently model information should be available in November.

Keep in mind this Canada, and our content may differ slightly.

Bob
    March/April works for us, we want an 09 Forester. Hurry it up!
    What you're seeing here is a sneak peek at the STI. I bet the street version will be almost identical to what we see here, but toned down just a hair.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19333776&postcount=439

This is the grille the WRX needs (minus the STI badge of course)!

Bob
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    What you're seeing here is a sneak peek at the STI. I bet the street version will be almost identical to what we see here, but toned down just a hair.

Well it's a good enough looking car although I doubt Subaru will sell it with their WRC graphics. They might keep the huge wing but I think that's too much for a street car, good for drying towels.
    I can't decide if i like the new styling or not my old WRX still looks great to me but I might replace it with an STi depending on the price and my trade in value.
    The new grill does look good on the WRC car. I guess it will have to keep until January.
    I expect the STI to be maybe an inch or two narrower than the WRC concept you see here. I don't think the fender flares will be quite as pronounced as what you see here. Subie factory racers have always been wider than their street counterparts, so this would not be a surprise to me.

The wing will not be like what you see here. Spy photos suggest the wing to be slightly more agressive looking than the wing on the WRX.

I've also learned that we can expect 245 tires on 18" rims and Recaro seats.

Bob
    I expect the STI to be maybe an inch or two narrower than the WRC concept you see here. I don't think the fender flares will be quite as pronounced as what you see here. Subie factory racers have always been wider than their street counterparts, so this would not be a surprise to me.

Cool, but I will still have to see it. My current WRX is still a blast to drive and hasn't let me down yet.
    The new STi might be a good replacement, but the new WRX leaves me cold, no way i'd give up mine for a new WRX even as an even trade.
    The STi might be a good bet but the Mazdaspeed 3 is also really a cool looking vehicle fast and quick and practical but I like AWD so I really want to check out the STi when they hit the showrooms. I've got a lot of miles on my current REX.
    Subaru is a great car and I don't know about the new EVO they are kinda rare around these parts. Subaru is much better for parts and the dealers are decent people as well.
    I already have it as my wallpaper.

I love it. Reminds me of some Nissan LM race cars with that wrap-around front fender flare.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19345883&postcount=277

We're real close here folks... Not 100% accurate yet, but about 98% or so...

Bob
    The flares really make the car, eh?

They give it that character that it needs, the aggressiveness. It's all the difference between a base 911 and a 911 Turbo.
    Unlike the images above, I understand the street car will have the recessed tail lights like those found on the WRC concept shown at Frankfurt, as well as a faux (?) small vertical grille aft the front fender blister, which shaped a bit more like that on the WRC concept, with a sharp cut-off.

Other than that, and with the possible exception of turn signals in the mirrors that the camoed and the test mule STIs hinted, I think this is it.

Bob
    I predict they'll shift more sales to the STI, if this is how it turns out.
    We're real close here folks... Not 100% accurate yet, but about 98% or so...

Not sure but looks like the Japanese brochure is saying it's about 295.85HP converting from PS. 1 HP = 1.014 PS

The new STi looks very sharp! I think Subaru has a winner here.
    MM I like it, like the flares and the quad exhaust.

-mike
  • rtolentino2rtolentino2 Member Posts: 50
    FYI - Howcome Subaru Impreza was posted here in this forum which is only for 2008 Lancer???? That's not fair to those who posted their discussions about the 2008 Lancer alone. Thanks.
    huh? the Lancer has nothing to do with the Impreza!

-mike
    I think you're lost. This is the '08 STI forum, not Lancer forum.

Bob
  • rtolentino2rtolentino2 Member Posts: 50
    The reason why i'm asking this is: when you search forums/discussion under 2008 lancer, this Subaru Impreza discussion is inlcuded as "new" in this forum!!!!
    Maybe we should ask the host to transfer this forum/discussion to Subaru's own forum.
    It's probably coming up because when it was created it may have had some comparison posts in it.

-mike
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I fixed it. The user who created this discussion also had tags for the Lancer and a few other models listed as a category. I'm not quite sure why but if this is specific to the Impreza and the Impreza alone then I removed the other tags.
    Love it, the WRC-look fenders made production. They really make that car.

Big thumbs up.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Yep... "intense" is about the only word I have to describe it. My thumbs are also up.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Note that this blog has just been updated with completely undisguised images of the STI.

Bob
    Love it. Addresses every issue I had with the WRX - the flares are back and the chrome strip is gone, too.
    I think the issue with the new STi is what will the price be. I've heard a few figures but no one can do more than guess at this point. My wife doesn't want me to buy an STi as it's too expensive. but honestly there isn't another Subaru I really want to buy that I'd want over my older Rex. Too bad my mileage is obscenely high at this point. Gotta do something soon.
    If the new STi drives as good as it looks I'll probably just have to fight with my wife over it to buy it. :sick:
    I hope they're smart and price it right. If so I bet a lot of WRX owners will upgrade and get the STI this time around. Even if it's just $500 less than the outgoing STI, it'll sell like mad, watch.
    I hope they're smart and price it right. If so I bet a lot of WRX owners will upgrade and get the STI this time around. Even if it's just $500 less than the outgoing STI, it'll sell like mad, watch.

Well the old one was about $36K sticker and they still have a bunch of the old ones unsold.
    Cheaper price would help as well as getting a good review from the Car Mags.
    I'm hopeful :D
    Give it a $33,595 sticker and watch a 1 year wait list form. Keep supply short, intentionally.

Subaru could really use a hit like that. It would boost Legacy GT and regular WRX sales as well.
    Give it a $33,595 sticker and watch a 1 year wait list form. Keep supply short, intentionally.

I agree with you about the price but if supplies are short hen they can expect that buyers will just get an EVO which is no slouch. If I wanted an STi and had to wait a year there would be an EVO in my driveway not an STi.
    The days of creating shortages are over all it will mean is shoppers will go elsewhere and consider this Subaru badly needed sales which is why they revamped the cars.
    It's a tough case to make to my wife to buy a car like an STi when we have so many other priorities.
    Making it harder to get and no deals, or even worse dealers just love to mark up limited edition cars. I guarantee you if Subaru does that I'd probably never buy from them again.
    They've made some big mistakes and a great many people are not happy and while Joe Average car buyer might look at one unless he needs AWD why would he buy a Subaru over something else? It has to offer something and for many in my area sure Subaru's sell very well because of the snow. But most of the country doesn't get socked with snow all winter and you have to offer something the new car buyer wants. For me Subaru will have to price the STi competitively or they lose 1 customer. But that's no sales to me for 5 years anyway. Multiply that by how many people would have bought the car if supply and prices were good. Bad idea making the car exclusive when the rest of your product line is lackluster at best.
    I won't buy a new WRX even if the wheels fall off my old one! The new STi maybe but the older STi didn't come as a wagon which I really need. Mazdaspeed 3 has a lot going for it and is available now and while it's FWD if the new STi doesn't work for me I'll probably have to seriously consider one.
    My suggestion, keep the price reasonable and a good supply with good incentives. Sell as many cars as possible and no exclusive BS. Get the Subie name back up in the news again and sales should take off.
    They will need a mid year redesign to sell a lot of new WRX's. The Legacy GT needs a wagon and Subie makes great wagons.
    ...really shows just how much Subaru misjudged the WRX, at least in terms of styling.

I suspect a "new-and-improved" WRX will be upon us before too long; something that visually splits the difference between the current WRX and the STI.

Bob
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    It might not make sense to go too "exclusive" with the new STI. That would only discourage the "tuner" market. Not that I'm interested in it, but, that "cool" factor sells. I suspect that the new WRX hasn't had the same impact as the original in the USA. The first WRX competed with the then outgoing BMW M3 and the then current Audi S4. The new WRX is having a hard time competing with Mazda M3. Of course Subaru has a new wrinkle to deal with; the new WRX competing with Subaru's own STI. Subaru may have actually made reasonable decisions going with a softer, safer, WRX to expand it's marketability with the racier STI in the stable. Choosing the fancy computer aided braking over the rear LSD may have made sense for the WRX (personally I wish that Subaru put front and rear LSD's standard on all their vehicles), but deleting the leather and sunroof from a car aiming for the mainstream, seems to miss the mark(et). With the competition catching up and surpassing the WRX in power, I still think Subaru should have offered 250 HP & 250 LBS. for their 2.5 litre turbo. That 100 HP per liter is a real selling point. The STI might be really impressive with a 150 HP/ 150 LBS per litre!
    Highly doubt we'll see the STi CHEAPER than the outgoing one. My guess would be about $500-1000 over the current MSRP.

As for the EVO MR, it's an automatic v. MT in the STi, so that should appeal to the purists out there :)

-mike
    As for the EVO MR, it's an automatic v. MT in the STi, so that should appeal to the purists out there

Yes, I think it's a bit unfair that they put an auto in the better version but from what has been translated the GSR can be upgraded in a few ways to the MR but I think the suspension will be different. Mitsubishi really needs the Lancer/EVO to work out and help them regain market share.
    I'm hoping the STi will be a better car than the EVO driving wise. I don't buy automatics no matter how fancy they are. :shades:
    ...is that we may not get those optional JDM Recaro seats. I sure hope that's not the case.

Bob
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    The auto in the new Evo is more of an automated manual. It has a manual mode that shifts faster than any driver could actually shift a manual. It even blips the throttle on downshifts which most manual drivers don't do. The only difference is that there's no clutch pedal to press while shifting. Any word on if Subaru is offering such an option on the STi?

While I think that some drivers might be revolted by such a transmission, I think it opens the market for the car to a much broader base of potential customers while throwing in a transmission that actually has the potential to increase performance over a traditional manual.
    Haaa,it's still an automatic. There is no direct connection between the driver and the gears in it. No matter how good the manumatics appear, they are still not a manual. I have no issue offering an AT, heck I RACED an automatic transmission car, but not offering an MT isn't a good move.

-mike
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Thanks for the link. Looks as though the US gets shorted again. On a more positive note, there was some discussion of a Legacy STI. A Legacy WAGON STI would be just the ticket for me!
    I doubt we'd see a Legacy STi before the new body style, although it could be the one with the 3.6T and 6MT :) That would be HOTTTT!

-mike
This discussion has been closed.