Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008/09 Subaru Impreza STI

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I have the TDI Turbo Diesel actually. 0-60 in 10.5 :shades: So any thing would feel responsive.

How about the reliability of the Subie 4A ?

Thanks for the responses.
    According to Subaru.com the '08 WRX has:

Automatic Transmission
    Optional 4-speed electronically controlled automatic with SPORTSHIFT® manual control6
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Cool, I wasn't sure. Probably because I always look at MT5 WRXs.

The automatics have been pretty good. In fact I remember when the 2002s came out and people started boosting power, the manual gears had trouble accomodating more than 250 or so horsepower, while the automatics could go up to 300 or so with the stock internals.

The STI's 6 speed was a sought-after upgrade for people boosting power to manual trans models.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    How about the reliability of the Subie 4A

Aside from the 1999 model year, I have heard of few, if any, transmission problems that were not the result of human error. It is a very reliable unit.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Thank you both I appreciate it. They sold the only Auto within 5 dealerships in my area . Guess they don't produce that many.

I will keep looking,
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    This great news, as we will now really get to know what it's like to "live" with this vehicle on a day-to-day basis. They will have this vehicle for a full year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=125928?tid=edmund- - - s.il.home.photopanel..2.*

Also worth noting the example they bought has navigation, so it will be interesting to see how this NAV unit works in real life.

While they haven't yet posted an STI entry here on their Long-term blog, they will—and shortly, I'm sure. So anyone interested in tracking this vehicle in terms of how it fares with Edmunds editors—and in learning about all the details, good and bad, this is link should be something you check daily.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Nice stuff. :)

-mike
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    The article suggests that they declined a sunroof option. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such option avialable for the '08 STI/STi or any other '08 Impreza for that matter.
    Yep. That's a mistake.

Bob
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.2008SubaruImprezaWRXSTI

If you want to know what it's like to "live" with the STI, you should be checking in here often.

Bob
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    So, I'm a fairly youthful looking 31, but I thought I dressed pretty well, and I tried to test drive the STI and was told the dealership had a policy of no test drive without deposit. I'm not buying a car without driving it... and reading around, this seems par for the course with STIs. Should I be trying other dealers or will the same stuff happen? Should I show them my paycheck? I drove a 135i at the BMW dealer without anyone batting an eyelash, I drove a Cayman S at the Porsche dealer dressed in a T Shirt (ok, it was a Ford GT 40 Le Mans shirt, so I might have gotten some props if any of the salesmen knew anything about cars). I'm a little bemused by this tendency of Subaru dealers- I happened to be by this dealership a couple weeks ago, and they have the same 2 STIs sitting in the lot, now joined by 3 more- so it doesn't look like they've sold one yet.
    So, I'm a fairly youthful looking 31

That's your problem in a nutshell. I'm 63 and look it. I had no trouble at two dealers getting a test drive. Oh... I also drove up in a WRX, so I guess they figured I was okay.

Bob
    Try another dealer, even call in advance to make an appointment.

Showing that sort of effort will prove you're a serious shopper and not just browsing for a joy ride.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    ... and not just browsing for a joy ride.

You mean like Bob? :P
    :D

To be fair I think he would consider one in the future. Plus he blogs it so Subaru is getting more than their fair share of coverage for it.
    Well, it is on my short list—a few years down the road (I hope).

I really think Subaru's (and Mitsubishi too with the EVO) policy on no test drives, except for serious buyers is a mistake. Their argument, that I've heard from many dealers, that they don't want the cars to "have a lot of test miles on them" could be applied to everything they sell.

Here's what I've learned from driving the EVO and STI. Despite the fact that the EVO may put up better track numbers, I don't want one. It's much too hardcore for me. The STI, on the other hand, is a near perfect blend of sportiness, comfort and utility. For me it's a much better fit in terms of my desires and needs.

If I'm putting down close to $40K on a car—I want to be damn sure I know what I'm getting ahead of time—and (numerous!) test drives are the only way to find that out.

Bob
    It's been reported that both the new WRX and STi lean more in corners than their predecessors. Does the new STi lean less, more, or the same as the previous WRX?
    Who cares about leaning, its the gripping that matters, and the new > the old in that regard.

-mike
    I doubt it. All reports on the STI iindicate that the handling is great. I haven't read anywhere about that car "leaning" too much.

As to the WRX, expect the '09 model to have sharper handling than the '08 model.

Bob
    I do, I agree that the gripping is more important, but never the less, myself, my family and even my dog prefer not to be rolling around more than neccesary. I love my '02 WRX, but don't care for the excessive leaning. I was just curious if the new STi would improve upon that aspect of my old WRX.
    FWIW, the 2009 Forester has a lot less body roll than before. WAY less than my old '98 Forester.

I have no idea about the Impreza, but the new suspension, tuned properly, can corner very flat. Keep in mind the aftermarket possibilities if you find the stock springs too soft.
    FWIW, my trusted Subaru mechanic Dan Dean tells me that the new STI leans more than the older STI, but, less than my current '02 WRX. Sounds good to me.
  • djshane09djshane09 Member Posts: 1
    Go drive your mama to the market in your automatic evo x, wake up!
    Dude the STI secret price fully loaded with BBS wheels & Upgradable navigations system is about 35,000. Moreover, for the 2009 EVO MR , mitsubishi is not willing to lean back much on the price 48,000 crazy price for a fully loaded Mr.
    The secret price on the MR fully loaded will eat 44,000 out of your pocket for automatic dip s**t . I will pick up a EVO 8 MR over the X MR anytime.
    Don't even put the 2009 StI 330HP 320lb of T next to the MR. EVO AUTOMATIC.
    Yes i test drove the both cars and the evo suspention is sick but a true driver drives manual not auto. i have a 2006 350z manual 500hp 480lb of Tor and i will never trade in for automatic z even with a twin clutch. Anybody considering a evo mr x, is surely new to the game just get a gsr and make it into a monster... or do yourself a favor and buy a 2009 sti coupe spec c
    It all seems good, but, how about the rest of the car? Isn't a WRX supposed to be more than a dumb muscle car?
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    The 265HP engine is what the 2008 WRX should have come out of the gate with, at a MINIMUM, especially with 278HP Toyota Camries and Honda Accords running rampant. Some of the humiliations the 2008 WRX suffered, in comparison tests with the MS3 etc., would have been mitigated, if it came with this engine, along with a firmly sporty suspension. They can soften up the regular Impreza and the Impreza Sport all they want, but should have made the WRX a truly focused sporty product.

Anyway, better late than never ! The only question is, why does it take Subaru more than one try, to get it right ? Once you lose the original model launch momentum, it is well nigh impossible to get it back.

Interesting news about renaming the Auto WRX as the "Impreza GT" ! Unfortunately, without a 5-speed Auto with paddle shifters, this will fail again, like the prior 4EAT WRX Auto models, unless they spring a surprise and put the 5EAT from the Legacy-based models, into this GT model.

Hopefully they will up the ante with the STI too, to maybe a 330 or 350HP/Torque engine, some better seats than the current "flats", and more tuned suspension like the EVO, to put some distance between the upgrades being put into the WRX.
    Anyway, better late than never ! The only question is, why does it take Subaru more than one try, to get it right ?

New to Subaru are yah? ;)

1998 2.5RS = 2.5L DOHC, small fogs, whacky interior, different brakes
    1999 2.5RS = 2.5L SOHC, large fogs, white face gauges, different brakes, normal interior

2002 WRX = same brake pads as the 01 RS, bad 2nd/3rd gear trans issue, no moonroof, etc. etc.
    2003 WRX = "new" brakes, etc. etc.

Seems to be the trend that Subaru has, with the impreza line.

-mike
    I appreciate the effort, but, the link doesn't seem to be working.
    Thanks.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Bob...not there
    Serge
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008/07/2009-subaru-wrx-teaser-video.html

That's the second time a link has disappeared. Really strange...

Bob
    Why do these guys continuously drive like complete jackasses? Really makes me want to get out of the whole Subaru scene when I see the lack of skill, lack of respect for machine, and utter crap videos like that shown. Typical ex-honda driver stuff, typical Fast and Furious crappola. Ugh....

Guess that's why I've set my sights on a 2010 GTR for my next street car, it's a tad more refined and like a 911 wouldn't be doing that drifting crap. :(

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Not sure I agree the video is as bad as you say, but I do agree with you that marketing the drifting and donuts isn't great on the side of bad. Marketing the car as a toy.

I hope to use my STi at a track. I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but drifting and donuts is not why I bought the car...and promoting that image is not what I think subaru should be going for. I would think the traditional rally videos and/or track videos are more appealing.
    You're missing the point Mike.

This video was done by SOA as a teaser for the '09 WRX. It was intentionally done this way to closely link the (new found) performance of the '09 WRX with that of the STI. That's why both the STI and WRX are out "playing" together. It's important that Subaru, with the new '09 WRX, distance this car from the '08 WRX, which has gotten luke-warm reviews at best. This kind of video shows that the WRX is once again the fun car it used to be.

As to lack of skill, I disagree here too. They are using SOA's two top rally drivers, Pastrana and Block—and they certainly know how to handle themselves in a race car. In this video they are just out playing around and having fun—and showing that the WRX is once again fun to drive. There's no competition here in which they're showing off (or proving) their level of skill. That was not the intention.

All in all, I think this is a successful video, as it accomplishes what the marketing goals were.

Bob
    I'd be a lot more impressed if these "top" drivers managed to keep the cars on the track as they were power sliding. It's all too silly for me.
    I'd be a lot more impressed if these "top" drivers managed to keep the cars on the track as they were power sliding. It's all too silly for me.
    Why should that even matter? They're out playing and having a good time. It's all about wild abandonment and FUN. Nothing else matters.

Bob
    Yup and this is exactly why it will attract the type of buyer that goes out and does stupid crap like that on the street. Once again, do you see videos like that from BMW, Porsche, etc? Nope.

It's quite an immature driving style and an insult to any of us folks who really DRIVE their cars on the track and race them.

As I said, if we want Subaru to be compared to the NEON SRT4 (similar to that Dodge commercial a few years ago street racing) then so be it. However, I'd rather see our car brand walking with the likes of Porsche, Lotus, BMW, who would not be caught dead with a commerical/video like that sanctioned by the manufacturer.

I guess you are a fan of the STi in the new Fast and Furious movie too, afterall, they are just out having fun. Going out on a track and abusing the vehicle as they were in that video shows them to be toys, not precision driving machines. I guess we will just writeoff the WRX as a toy from here on out :(

While I agree with them distancing themselves from the 08 WRX, perhaps they could get out there and show the subaru enthusiasts rallying, road racing, autoxing their cars, which happens in 1000s and 1000s of parking lots, race tracks and rally and rally-x events EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND by common Subaru owners.

-mike
    Lighten up Mike. You're reading waaaaay too much into this.

It's just a teaser video to get folks excited about the new WRX. Nothing more.

Bob
    I suppose, but you know how passionate I am about true motorsports and how hard we've worked to actually have subies accepted in real racing and tracks, and videos like that just make my blood boil!

I keep thinking back to around 2000 when we started to track our GC Imprezas and they laughed at us saying "what are you doing on the track, those are subarus" Now you can't go to a track day and not see at least 10 subies there!

-mike
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Frankly, I was not too impressed with the video either. It looks really like something that adolescents would be impressed with.

Subaru need to go back to the TV ads they came out with, when the WRX first came into the US, in 2001, and build from there. I have always stated that the 2008 WRX was an aberration and from Subaru's perspective, that model is like a bad nightmare. The 2008 WRX was essentially an Outback Sport with a turbo in it, than the all-conquering WRX.

The 2009 WRX needs to get back to its rough-and-ready roots and you don't do it by doing silly "drifting" videos, especially when one is drifting off-the-road and not being able to stay on the road.

But I do understand what Bob is trying to say, which is that this is essentially the 2009 WRX, moving away from the lackluster image of the 2008, which is all good but do it while staying on the road, than off the road.
    For some reason I cringe at the thought of my insurance company seeing such an ad.
    ...coming on 7/31. Stay tuned...

Bob
    Let's see if they publish the sales spread between the different models, which conspiracy theorists concluded meant WRX sales were way down.
    Every dealer I've spoken to say WRX sales were off for 2008.

Bob
    As I suspected, it looks like SOA may be turning that '09 WRX and STI "fun" video into a commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Y_9jbDXro

It (intentionally) comes off like a 1950s or 1960s era instructional video.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.