Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    I couldn't be happier with my 2007 Azera Limited (with 23,000 miles). I've had no issues with this car. It's a joy to drive and I recommend it without it without any reservations.
  • HyundaiisBestHyundaiisBest Member Posts: 8
    You can't go wrong with a new or used 06-09 Azera. I work for a hyundai dealer and the Azera is the car we most like to work on, it's an elegantly designed and functional vehicle and I'd say 95% of owners would rate it as the best car they've ever owned.....

At our dealership we have many speed bumps and uneven pavement. I drive every model of Hyundai through them 10-20 times per day. The earlier poster who said that the strut bar prevented his car from bottoming out when one front wheel met an elevation change before the other is absolutely right. I added the strut bar to both my Azera and my wife's Sonata, and they don't exhibit that instability anymore. Since cars are no longer built on a frame, but rather unibody panels attached to each other and the chassis, adding a light (less than 3 lbs) structural component across the strut towers definitely increases rigidity, and to maintain a "luxury" ride the Azera is a little cushy up front so it is noticeable once installed. It probably doesn't do anything when traveling at speed, and certainly doesn't help racers on the track, but after driving about 500 different Azeras over the last 3 years without it over those bumps, its easy to pick out the few that have strut bars before even opening the hood.. It prevents the seasaw scissor motion that is inherent in the Azeras cushy front end at low speed. hope that helps
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Nexofa...as you can see, there are a few positive postings in repsonse to your query. I too am a very happy Azera owner ('06 Limited). I currently have about 63K miles on it and the only issues I've had have been minor. The car is extremely pleasant to drive on long trips. I've driven mine from here (MD) to Orlando, Atlanta, North Carolina (quite a few times) & New York and every trip is smooth, quiet and composed. I also use it to commute daily (work in DC), and even still...it's a nice ride in.

If you think an '05 Maxima is overpowered, then you really won't care for the Azera as it packs about the same horsepower, albeit on a softer ride. Another car you may take a look at is the Sonata...it offers a 4 cyl. powerplant if the V-6 isn't appealing to you.

If you were looking for a more unbiased result to your query, posting the 2008 Hyundai Azera forum may not have been your best shot. There's another forum called Mainstream Large Sedans where they talk about all the cars the Azera competes against...you may find some other options to your liking there as well.

Mainstream Large Sedan Comparison

I will say one thing...the Azera has proven to be a very good car. If you're from the DC area, you know that the roads in the city aren't always the best so the car takes a daily beating and with 60K+ miles on it and it's still going strong with no problems...that says a lot in my book.

Good luck with your search and purchase!!!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Mike
    I'm glad to see someone finally post some really good info about the strut bar for the Azera. The one thing I will say is that adding rigidity helps period. Obviously at low speeds it helps with that seasaw, twisting motion that can happen. I'm pretty sure that rigidity comes in handy with high speed manuvers as well, with less side to side flexing, handling can be more precise and confident.

Now that I've seen a couple of postings that seem to put a stamp of approval on the strut bar, it will be one of my first '09 mods!

Thanks for the good info!!!

Mike

Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    :)

Please, do the strut bar modification ASAP and let us know
    your thoughts, both positive and perhaps negative quickly.

Maybe adding a strut bar is the answer we're looking for. :confuse:

Forget mahout. Many messages and emails to different addresses either come back
    as undeliverable or go unanswered. His last post anywhere was in September. :(
    The fellow may have passed for all we know. He certainly is not responding
    as he used to, so for sure he has lost interest one way or another.

:D
    Once we get clear of the holidays and such...I will begin working on my Azera mods.

In all fairness, Mahout did some other mods to his suspension that really may have ruled out a need for the strut bar. I will say this much, the strut bar won't make the car ride any smoother or handle bumps with more poise, but it will certainly help with that flex you get when the two front tires don't go over something at the same time or if only one goes over something.

I know wider tires help as well in regards to tracking and body roll. Some of the roll comes from the tires as well. With a shorter sidewall, tire roll becomes less of an issue. When I put on my 20's wheels wrapped with 245/35-20 tires...tracking improved drastically. There was still some body roll, but it wasn't as heavy. I think the strut bar can help improve turn-in on tighter curves.

We shall see, but when I finally get it...I will definitely post my results.
  • rance2rance2 Member Posts: 39
    Took possession of my 07 Azera in July 07. Have driven 20,000 miles under a variety of conditions (mountain, heavy snow/ice storms, hot, high speed, etc.) Could not be more pleased with a car!

Absolutely no troubles with the vehicle. West Broad Hyundai (Richmond VA) service has been superb, albeit I have only needed regularly scheduled service other than a slight cosmetic correction to a door panel.

Previously I drove the big Lexus 400 series - 2 cars over 7 years. Yes, the Lexus has a point or two over the Azera, but not at double the cost.
    Yes, the Lexus has a point or two over the Azera, but not at double the cost.

You know Rance2, that's a huge statement in regards to the Azera considering there are some that offended that the Genesis is being compared to Lexus products. I wonder how any of them would feel reading this from a previous Lexus flagship owner! ;)

Congrats on the positive experience you've had with your Azera.

Mike
  • chichion101chichion101 Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering a 2008 or 2009 Azera & have read with interest the Dec posts. Like the discussion on the struts. Will be using it for mix of a lot of in-town & a lot of winding mountain driving through the Sierras when no snow. When there's snow, will use an AWD Honda CRV.

Would like to get more feedback from former Honda owners, esp. Honda Accord owners as I have a '94 Accord that I've been using for dry-weather trips & it has served me well. I haven't yet seen or been inside one as closest dealer is an hr away but do like what I've seen in this forum.

Thanks for any feedback, chichion101
    Chichion101...I'm curious, why would you be afraid to drive a FWD car in snow? I mean, I can understand if you're talking conditions of 6"+, but in every FWD car I've owned, I have driven in snow up to 6" with no problems.

What feedback are you looking for from Accord owners if you're looking at an Azera?

I've had my Azera since Feb/Mar '06 and currently have just over 63K miles on it. I've driven it in pretty much every condition from ice to beautiful weather and have no complaints. With the stock tires, the car has been reliable in snowy conditions in the DC Metro area. They have also proven to be confident during heavy rain conditions as well. I know there's one poster who lives in a place that gets heavy snow and all he did was put some snow tires on and he says the car is great.

If you're looking for a comfortable car that smooth on the highways, keeps it's poise, pretty quite and offers a lot for your money...the Azera is a good choice. I've driven mine as far as Orlando, FL fully loaded (3 adults, 2 kids and a trunk full of luggage) and the ride was very nice. I will say I haven't experienced the suspension problems you may have read about by some posters, so for me...driving on winding roads is actually pleasant in my Azera. I'm not saying it offers BMW like handling or Maxima handling for that matter, but I know my car and I know how it should be driven so it's not an issue for me.

Upgrading from a '94 Accord, the Azera will offer you more power, however...you won't enjoy the fuel economy you would be used to. For me with this doggone ethanol gas I get about 15 mpg city and on the highway I get about 24-26 mpg ('m a bit heavy footed). You'll certainly enjoy more room, comfortable seating (subjective opinion) and depending on the trim level a great many features that are easy to understand and use. In all the Azera is very driver friendly in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision!

Mike
    Chichion101...I'm curious, why would you be afraid to drive a FWD car in snow? I mean, I can understand if you're talking conditions of 6"+, but in every FWD car I've owned, I have driven in snow up to 6" with no problems.

I imagine FWD means front-wheel drive instead of 4-wheel drive? Because I don't think the Azera is 4-wheel drive, right? In light weather conditions, I would prefer the Azera due to its better mileage & because I much prefer the lower CG of the Azera when taking turns. However, I've felt very safe in the CRV which also has stability control & traction control & AWD kicks in when computer senses the need for it. I guess I'll have to try Azera on snowy roads to see how it feels. I've never driven a front-wheel drive in snow before so I'm wondering if it's the same. It may handle just as well as AWD. However, there are times when 4-wheel drive or AWD is required by CALTRANS so having it saves me from putting on chains.

Thanks very much for the feed back, Mike. I'm liking it more & more as I learn more about it.
    Yes...by all means FWD is front wheel drive. The Azera does have a lowere center of gravity, but it also has traction/stability control as well...standard feature. I own a Saturn Outlook with AWD and we just came from the mountains last weekend and driving it in the snow was very much like driving a FWD vehicle. I guess because even though it's an AWD system it's FWD based and only kicks in when needed. So there may actually be times that you are driving a FWD vehicle in the snow and just don't know it.

I do understand about the need for AWD in your location before. Chains are no fun for sure.

One thing you may wanna do, compare the interiors of an '08 Azera and the '09. You'll notice some differences you may or may not like.
  • andysamandysam Member Posts: 9
    Drove my Hyundai Azera last Friday. Engine started revving as if transmission went into a lower gear. Check Engine light went on. Next morning I called the Hyundai of Nanuet (where I bought the car one year ago). They told me to bring the car in right away. "It is dangerous to drive" they said. 2 (working) days and a Sunday later the car was not even checked. Their computer was down. They did not have a loaner car (which they promised at sale time). All this time they kept promising me it will be done but they only called me once. All other times I had to call.
    Also, any input of what # of miles is reasonable for your car to be driven when you leave it for service? Hyundai of Nanuet drove it for 10 miles and Liberty Hyundai (where I took the car after the first fiasco) drove it for 14 miles. :mad:
    Sounds to me like you're dealing with a shady dealership that just wants to push sales even if it means telling lies.

As far as miles being put on your car when being repaired, what is 10 or 14 miles? I mean, look at the big picture and think about how many miles you'll ultimately be putting on the car...10/14 miles!?!? Seriously, I could understand an issue if you got it back and there seemed to be 25+ miles on it. However, if they put 10/14 miles on the car and you get it back and it's working as it should...what's the problem? Would you feel better if they simply fixed it and did no road test to ensure it was fixed? I think you would be pretty upset if you drove off and all the sudden the problem came up again, wouldn't you?
    One thing you may wanna do, compare the interiors of an '08 Azera and the '09. You'll notice some differences you may or may not like.

Thanks for the tip. It's comments like this that are very helfpful.

Re feedback from Honda owners. Just want to know if there were any regrets & what they were after making the switch to Hyundai.

Have never been to a Hyndai dealership before so will be going soon to see what you all are so excited about. Have it in my mind to continue my 30-year relationship with a repair shop that's an hr away vs going to our local dealer. If anyone has done this before (repair shop vs dealer service), can you give me feedback on your experience especially if you've had to use that 100K warranty?

Hope to be a contributing member about my actual Hyundai experiences soon.
    Chichion101...I don't know about Honda dealerships, but like I said...I had a '96 Camry that I replaced with an '02 Sonata. I was skeptical at first, but considering the price difference between my Sonata and the '02 Camry comparibly equipped was $6K, I jumped on it. 4 years/100K miles later...I can say there were no regrets.

It's luck of the draw really as it really depends on which dealership you go to. Some are great with customer service and make you feel like you're the reason they exist. Others...well, they just don't seem to have a clue. I can only hope the dealer that's an hour away from you is one of the good ones.

I've done the repair shop & dealer thing myself. Somethings I let a repair shop do, but if it comes to cracking open the motor or something like that...the dealer will get it since it woud most likely be covered under warranty anyway.

Oil changes and brake pad replacments I handle on my own and contrary to popular belief...it does not void out your warranty when you do your own work.

I have used the warranty...on my '02 Sonata, it replaced an alternator, and a CV joint, and a hose on my steering pump that busted...most notably. On my '06 Azera...the warranty has replaced my steering wheel (faux wood was chipping), replaced the clock (defective upon purchase), and I've also had to take it in for my air bag light coming on (which seems to have been fixed). The sunroof had to be re-adjusted as it wasn't closing flush with the roof and creating wind noise at highway speed ,they had to replace the trunk release mechanism in the trunk lid because it became detached and didn't work and lastly...they had to replace my hood release cable because it snapped on me.

Each and every time I've had to go in, I've never been made to feel like I was burden. i was welcomed and even entertained with good conversation from various folks on staff. My next car would most likely be a Hyundai as well.
  • rgb42rgb42 Member Posts: 40
    I got my '08 Azera Limited in March 2008 and have noticed since the first time I put gas in it right up until now that it is hard to get the thing full. All of my other cars, when it was 'full' the auto shutoff on the pump hose would activate, and then I might mess with putting more in with several activations of the nozzle handle to get a full fill up. With this Azera, to get the same thing, I find myself activating the pump handle a good dozen times before it's really full and the gauge shows a full tank (needle just slightly above the Full mark). Anyone else notice this???

Bob
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    This subject was covered in several blogs on Azera .....
    Yes it's a problem. My 07 does this and it could take 2 or more gallons before full. It isn't a good idea to force more gas into tank because it messes up the air/fuel filter. I believe someone in these blogs stated that he got up to 21 gallons into this tank even though manual say 19.8
    The shape of the Azera tank and filler hose may allow backwash so that the needle may show slightly under the F mark, but Nobody really recommends the extra squirts to "fill the tank". The pump mechanism can introduce additional air into the system which can cause vapor locks, and the additional pressure is not good for the fuel filter. And those last few squirts are also the worst for the environment AND your pocketbook as near the surface of the tank when full they are most likely to be aerosolized and merely become gaseous in the environment, note the "Gas" smell after doing so. EPA and NTSB studies show Only about 60% of those last squirts ever make it into your fuel system as fuel, particularly on hot dry days.Do us all a favor, Be confident that 19 gallons is full enough, save some money, potential repairs and the environment by over pumping and stop when the pump says so
  • rgb42rgb42 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Regardless of what vehicle I have owned, after the pump stops on it's own, I have put more in to fill it up ... note that I do not give it "full throttle" on the nozzle handle, but rather "ease it in" so I don't get splash back. The last two fill ups, when the pump stops on it's own, I have not tried to put more in (I did this once or twice after getting the car last year and noted it), but my gas gauge shows just slightly above halfway between Full and 3/4 of a tank. I'd say that's pretty far off so I am keeping track of it and after two more fill ups will take it in to the dealer. At least I know it's not just me now. Thank you!

Bob
  • mkarns1mkarns1 Member Posts: 14
    Good Day,

Can anyone summarize the interior differences between the '08 and '09 Limiteds?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on this new synthetic Castrol oil that's supposedly so much better then Mobil One?

I've always used Mobile One and am not sure if I should consider changing or not.....? :shades:
    The faux woodgrain is different. You go from a rich mahagony ('08) looking woodgrain to a more rustic oak ('09). Another difference is on all the edges that have the aluminum look trim ('08) have been changed to a chrome-look trim ('09). Also, the speaker covers in the '08's have cloth over the grille (which holds scuffs and the '09's merely have plastic grilles. One other thing I can think of is that the backlighting on the radio is blue on the '09's and the display on the radio shows more information as well. That was pretty much everything I was able to see when I test drove an '09 Limited. There may have been some other differences, but they didn't jump out.

I've been using Castrol Syntec in my Azera since I've had it and I'm curious about the new Edge Synthetic myself. I may use it when I do my next oil change.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    The '09 Azera got a minor facelift. The center stack displays were changed from green to blue to match the gauges better. The door handles and bright trim on the doors went from satin finish to shiny chrome. There may have been a functional change to the sound systems involving iPod adaptability, but I don't know or care about that stuff, so I couldn't tell you.

As for Mobil One, this gets pretty technical. There are two basic ways to make "synthetic" oil. Mobil One used to use the original and better method. I believe the cheaper and cheesier method is to make it from "hydrocracked" regular oil. Mobil One changed over and uses this method now. It is still a fine product and appreciably better than regular motor oil, but its basic properties are inferior to what they were. Amsoil still uses the superior formulation.

It was, in fact, Castrol who successfully beat back a challenge in court from Mobil, changing the rules so their mineral-oil-based hydrocracked "synthetic" could be called "full synthetic" when, in fact, it is not. I don't know what Castrol is selling as synthetic oil now, but given this history, I would strongly suspect it is still hydrocracked.

However, it's easy to make too much out of all of this. The performance standards for regular oil have been steadily raised over the years so that even "regular" motor oil now performs much, much better than in the past, and is plenty good enough to provide a long, trouble-free life for most engines if changed with the filter regularly. Synthetic is really needed only for those cars that are prone to specific problems, such as the sludge-prone Toyota 3.0 and 3.3 V6 or the early '90s (not later) Nissan DOHC 3.0 that had trouble pumping oil up to the top of a tall engine. Or for extreme use, such as Arizona, Minnesota or taxi duty, that overtax the chemical limitations of traditional oil even with a modern additive package.

In short, if you drive normally and change your oil regularly, regular oil is plenty good enough, Mobil or Castrol synthetic is much more than good enough, and Amsoil is outstanding beyond virtually any practical necessity. Hope that helps.

To find out more, check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com . Very informative.
    So...........is the new Genesis model intended to replace the Azera or complement it?

I've heard both ways and am curious why they would replace the front wheel drive with a rear wheel drive......
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The Genesis was never intended to be the replacement of the Azera. The two vehicles couldn't be any different, and as you mentioned, starting with FWD (Azera) vs. RWD (Genesis)

The Azera was the flagship in Hyundai's North American lineup, and such title has been since removed with the arrival of the Genesis. Now, the Azera continues to serve as the complement to the Sonata, and a way for buyers to gain luxurious appointments at a very good price point.
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    "Now, the Azera continues to serve as the complement to the Sonata,"

Upgrade over Sonata, entirely different vehicle, as Avalon is the upgrade over Camry.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    That's what I meant :)
    Wanted to thank all the members of this group for feedback & prior posts which helped me to buy an Azera. I wanted to buy a 2008 but ended up with a 2009 since most new 2008s are gone now. Wanted to share with you that the incentive on a 2008 is $2500 if you can still find one. On 2/2/09 Hyundai started a financing program which is: 0% for 36 months, 1.9% for 48 months, 2.9% for 60 months & 5.9% for 72 months. I chose 0% but reflecting back on it, I should have chosen 2.9% since you can get a CD rate better than that. Have had Azera for almost 2 weeks but almost no usage other than driving it back 200 miles from dealer since I've been very busy so don't have anything to offer except that the placement of controls felt very natural & I adjusted to it very quickly. Dealer did offer a deal on used 2008 with 16K miles for below $20K but we went for 2009 Limited for $25K. Note that if you buy used warranty is shortened to 10yrs/60K miles on powertrain. I did search country for all 2008s available & found about 100 but every time I tried to follow up they were already sold & on a couple of followups found myself in a bait & switch which didn't really bother me since I hadn't ever even driven a Hyundai or even been to a dealership. I did have a lot of fun searching & even found some 2007s & 2006s new if the databases can be believed. If anybody is interested in my odyssey, post me personally as I have to mention some non-Edmunds sites though a good portion of my searching was through Edmunds. BTW, this was the only dealership which had a Genesis selection such that the lower-end Genesis price points was close to the upper-end Azeras but it still didn't sway my decision & they didn't try. At other dealerships, the difference in price was significant.

The dealership that I bought it from was Sacramento Hyundai. They pointed out to me that they sell only Hyundai & have nothing else in the showroom which, in my limited experience, stood out because I don't remember being at any other dealership which didn't have another brand under the same roof or right next door. they said it was an experiment by Hyundai to differentiate themselves from the pack & I think it works well.

Again, thanks to all the feedback from current & past posters, even though I ended up with a 2009, the 2008 posts alerted me to what to expect from an Azera.
  • mariposermariposer Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Limited with just under 10000 miles from Carmax for $18988. Carmax bought my 2 trades for a price that was above KBB's excellent trade in value.
    The whole process at Carmax was smooth and effortless.
    My wife and I both love the car and all the features it has. I hope to have the car for many years.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Congratulations. Enjoy your (almost) new Azera, and keep us posted on your experiences!
  • oscarbravooscarbravo Member Posts: 2
    I stumbled in here because I'm looking for a good used luxury car for the wife to drive back and forth to work. For the past 12 years or so, I have driven either MB or BMW's. I'm familiar with those and do a lot of my own maintenance which keeps the cost of ownership at a reasonable level. My wife however likes a smoother ride. So I researched around and came up with an '07 Azera w/35K on it for $14K.

The price seems good and the car rides, looks and drives beautifully. She says she's going to keep this car forever (we'll see) but just in case she does keep it, I want a car that will still look and drive well and not break down a lot.

I have done a quick search here and the only chronic issue I've seen is the suspension. (This one seems to ride fine) She will primarily drive it to and from work on fairly smooth roads about 12K a year. If anyone has a higher mileage Azera or has some input, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!
    Oscarbravo...welcome to the forum. I currently own an '06 Azera Limited bought Feb. '06. It currently has a little more than 65K miles on it and I'm still pleased with the car. It hasn't broken down on me one time, but that's not to say it hasn't had it's little issues.

For starters, I don't have the suspension issues that some folks have mentioned with theirs. However, the suspension has started creaking (front passenger side) since the weather turned cold. It was explained in another forum that there may be a spring isolator that could have broken and now it's metal on metal. I'll be taking it in next week to get it looked at. The ride has not changed since the problem surfaced.

Other minor things that have come up...headlights dimming when coming to a stop (replaced the factory battery and the problem went away), airbag light comes on (been an ongoing issue they can't seem to figure out), seat heating element in the driver's side seat back stopped working (will be replaced), faux wood on the steering wheel started chipping (steering wheel replaced), hood release cable snapped (cable replaced twice since the first dealer that fixed it didn't seem to put it on right) and the seal around the fog lights seemed to fail because they took on water and caused bulbs to blow (first the passenger side, now the driver side). Everything was taken care of by the warranty with no hassles or issues.

That about sums up the things I've had issues with. I've kept my oil changed using full synthetic oil and going with the 7500 oil change interval schedule. I've had the transmission fluid flushed once so far (bout to get it done again) and I've replaced my brake pads and instead of going with the semi-metallic, I put ceramic pads on to reduce brake dust on my wheels and get longer wear from the pads as well.

In the 65K+ miles I've driven my Azera from the DC area down to Orlando, FL, Atlatnta, GA, Kinston, NC (more times than I can count) and up to Staten Island, NY a few times as well. The car is a really comfortable car to drive daily, but it really shines on long distance trips.

Good luck with your (wife's) Azera!!!

Mike
  • oscarbravooscarbravo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply!

The only negative I have noticed (on the two that I have driven) is a lot of road noise. It's not the tires as both cars have new Michelins on them. I have read about others saying the same thing.

Have you noticed this and is there a cure?

Thanks1
    Hello all,

I have another question that I have been putting off asking because it seems so simple I should know the answer to it.

I've searched the manual high and low and can't find the answer, so.....................

What is the little oval grille to the right of the stereo/climate controls on a '08 Azera Limited.

I know as soon as I hear it I'll go dah!!!!

Thanks,

M. Karns
    Oscarbravo...

Are you sure it's not road noise from the tires? I ask because the Michelins aren't exactly the quietest tires you could have on your car. Personally, I can't wait to get rid of mine this summer. I got a quieter ride from the aftermarket Lexani (made by Nexen) tires I had with me 20" rims.

If you're sure it's not the tires, the only other thing I can think of is wind noise. I had one issue where my sunroof wasn't seating properly. The back side wasn't flush with the edge of the roof and the air would catch it and cause really loud wind noise. Close your sunroof shade and see if the noise dissapates. If it's not that...I really don't know what it could be.

Outside of those two things, I haven't experienced road noise that was beyond acceptable. I mean, the Azera isn't a true luxury sedan, so measures weren't taken to quiet the cabin like on the Genesis.

Mike
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    That grill is for the Cabin Humidity sensor. If it detects that humidity is abover certain level, it turns on the window defogger so that windows aren't fogged up while you are driving (a virtual godsend for high humid climates like Houston).
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    It's my understanding upgrading to the Nav in the 2009 completely loses all iPod integration. The iPod integration that's on even the lowest end car. OMG Can this really be true?

But WHY? Does the iPhone/Touch display on the screen so they had to kill it for legal issues? Or did they use the old Nav unit which doesn't have the ports?
    Does anyone know? If true, this also likely effects Santa Fe & Veracruz Nav. Likely.
    Does anyone know the procedure to program a new key fob to work with the old key fob and the car?

Thanks,

Mark
    :shades:
    I believe you are going to have to pay your dealer to do that programing, as I understand it requires a computer unit at the dealership, unlike most US models. I hope someone comes on and says I'm wrong, but i haven't found a key sequence or hack anywhere, and there is not one in the 2 volume service manual set I have. they'll probably charge you at least $50.00 at the dealer. It's Hyundai robbery!!
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    A couple of months ago one of the two key fobs for my 2007 Azera quit working and had to be replaced. The service tech at the dealership used a computer that plugged into my car to program the new one. The spare fob had to be reprogrammed so that it would be in sync with the new one. There was no charge and everything was covered under the 60k bumper to bumper warranty.
    When i ordered a spare key and had it cut myself and took it to the dealer he charged me 49.95 to program it, and it wasn't covered by warranty since it was a new accessory, but it was still better than the deal i was offered when I bought the car..2 extra spare keys for $125.00. If you order the very cool switchblade korean executive key fob you'll need to dig the chip out of your present key and install it in the new exec switchblade, but no programming was needed
  • tseverson1tseverson1 Member Posts: 13
    I have read Hyundai discussion forums on Edmunds for all of one day.

I am looking at Hyundai for the first time (found good reviews on the Azera) and have much to learn. I usually buy the cars (used cars) I drive from a private party and never set foot in a dealership. My last purchase was a 2001 Honda Accord Ex (6cyl) which now has 130,000 miles on it. It has performed well for me with very few repairs required and I never set foot in a Honda dealership.

I found a used 2008 Azera Limited 3.8L (18,000) online at a local nonHyundai dealership. I intend to look at the Azera tomorrow and will inquire about the warranty. I would appreciate any warranty information you can provide on what I can expect in this situation. I did read the Azera warranty forum area with 12 messages in it as a starter.

I stopped by a Hyundai dealership yesterday just to see the difference between the Sonata and Azera. In a discussion with a Hyundai sales rep, I believe (not absolutely positive) he said that "something attached to the motor such as an alternator" is not covered by the 10yrs/100000 warranty. I did not ask more about any warranty issues since I was there to look at the vehicles. A poster in message 443 on this forum mentioned he had an alternator replaced by Hyundai under warranty. I now wonder what is covered and what is not covered on the 10yrs/100000 warranty.

I think by purchasing a used Hyundai I will not get a 10yrs/100000 warranty but something less like a 6yrs/60000 warranty.

From your Hyundai warranty experiences, how well does Hyundai stand behind their warranty?

Thanks
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    At least thats what I have been told. The regular warranty is 60,000 miles, 6 years.

The 10 year warranty only covers major items like the engine transmission etc. water pumps, alternators etc should be covered under the 60,000 mile warranty.
  • tseverson1tseverson1 Member Posts: 13
    Update and further questions on the 2008 Hyundai Azera I am considering purchasing from a non-Hyundai dealership.

I looked at the build date for the 2008 Azera (on the bottom of the door pillar between the drive’s door and the back seat door). The build date was June 02, 2007 so the Azera is a candidate for the “dreaded front suspension problem” (cars built after 10/20/07 have better quality shock absorbs than those build before 10/20/07). I printed out a copy of TSB 07-50-007 which covers this issue.

From what I read in the Hyundai forums the TSB calls for a replacement of an inferior front shock absorber 54611-3L041 with an equally inferior front shock absorber 54611-3L040. I understand the real solution to the problem is to install a better quality front shock absorber 54611-3L640.

Do ALL 2008 Hyundai Azera sedans built before 10/20/07 need all four of their shock absorbers upgraded to the new and better quality shock absorbers? I understand the back 2 shock absorbers have different part numbers than the front 2 shock absorbers.

Has Hyundai developed a solution to this problem that is available to me if I purchase this vehicle?

Do I forget this vehicle or is there a way to purchase the car and get the better shock absorbers (i.e. the 54611-3L640 on the front) installed without any additional cost to me?

I am not interested in purchasing a 2008 automobile with existing problems.

Any suggestions on how to proceed is appreciated.
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    "I looked at the build date for the 2008 Azera (on the bottom of the door pillar between
    the drive’s door and the back seat door). The build date was June 02, 2007 so the
    Azera is a candidate for the “dreaded front suspension problem” (cars built after
    10/20/07 have better quality shock absorbs than those build before 10/20/07).
    I printed out a copy of TSB 07-50-007 which covers this issue."

You are considering a 2008 which has the same shocks front and back as the 2007s.
    Read that TSB again. It does not apply to any Azeras built after February 26, 2007.

"From what I read in the Hyundai forums the TSB calls for a replacement of an inferior front
    shock absorber 54611-3L041 with an equally inferior front shock absorber 54611-3L040.
    I understand the real solution to the problem is to install a better quality front shock absorber 54611-3L640."

Where are you going to find a better quality front shock? :confuse: Not from Hyundai. :sick:
    Front 640s are not a solution to the problem, as the 640 parts have
    failed in a number of vehicles in which they have been installed.
    There is one person who paid for the 640 shock parts for both front and back and
    installed them himself and I have ridden in his car and it is half-way decent.
    But mine and many others have had the fronts only done and most all of us are not happy as these 640 parts can go bad the same as the 041s and the 040s have done.
    I am on my third set of shocks and all sets have failed. Had to threaten the Lemon-Law
    to get the 640s installed even though the mecahnic that did the TSB replacements
    said the 040s were bad. (He got fired for not changing his recommendation.)

"Do ALL 2008 Hyundai Azera sedans built before 10/20/07 need all four of their shock absorbers upgraded to the new and better quality shock absorbers? I understand the back 2 shock absorbers have different part numbers than the front 2 shock absorbers."

The latest vehicles, those built after 10/20/07 have 640s all around, both front and rear.
    The front parts are 54611-3L640
    The rear parts are 55311-3L640

"Has Hyundai developed a solution to this problem that
    is available to me if I purchase this vehicle?"

In a word NO.

"Do I forget this vehicle or is there a way to purchase the car and get the better shock
    absorbers (i.e. the 54611-3L640 on the front) installed without any additional cost to me?"

In a word YES."
    Forget it unless you want to go to the expense yourself of installing and paying for both front and rear shocks and while that might correct the problem, it is not guaranteed.

In my case, the dealer told me that the 640s would not fit.
    After threating to go Lemon-Law, all of a sudden those front parts
    were authorized as a "Goodwill' gesture by the factory rep.
    But within a very few short miles, the newest wore off and the front end was
    porpusing, wallowing and undulating from side to side just as it had done
    before with the bad original 041s and the TSB replacement 040s.
    Hyundai does not have any decent shocks for the Azera, and does not seem
    to be the slightest bit interested in correcting this engineering shortcoming.
    No one and I mean no body makes an aftermarket shock to address this problem.
    I suspect that there may not be any more Azeras after the MY 2009s.
    Hyundais' attitude is to not be bothered with fixing this one problem
    which ruins and otherwise excellent automobile.

"I am not interested in purchasing a 2008 automobile with existing problems."

As I have outlined above, IF you drive this car that you are interested in
    and I mean really drive it over all kinds of roads for many miles and
    you can be satisfied with the way it rides, go for it.

Good luck with your decision and please keep us posted.

:)
    Good Morning,

Last evening I was going along a very congested interstate at 70 mph listening to XM, sunroof open, life was good; then I lost all acceleration.

Floored gas pedal and engine just idled. I pulled off the side of the road and the car just sat there purring like a kitten but pushing the gas pedal did nothing.

After shutting it off and restarting it four or five times the check engine light came on and the throttle started working again.

I dropped it off at the dealership after hours!

Have had the car a couple of months and it has around 17000 miles on it, 2500 of which are ones I've put on.

Any ideas????? :cry:
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    mkarns1 - There's a post on that same thing here. Or it sounds similar. Brand new car.
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t34863-treading-lightly.htm
    the only engine issue with my 08 azzie was a check engine light related to a dirty mass air flow sensor, but i'm sure they've checked that right
    Still waiting on their diagnosis......

I just glad I wasn't rearended!

:(