Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Glad to hear you solved your trying dilema. Now maybe you'll finally get to truly enjoy your Azera for a change!!! :shades:
  • newtoazeranewtoazera Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2008 Azera today. It is a fine car. I activated the XM radio and can get XM stations. I think I followed the correct proceedure to preset some XM channels. My question is: How do I access my preset channels randomly? What button(s) do I use to get to the presets? The Azera Handbook doesn't seem to be of much help on this subject.
  • garym1jgarym1j Member Posts: 46
    Good question. Don't know. I just continue to turn the knob for channels. Didn't even think that a preset was possible. Will be watching for the answer. Love the XM. Have lifetime subscription, however it is probably a bad deal in that when you trade cars the subscription does not transfer to a new car. Not good. However the little XM I have for household use is good for life. There are two different subcriptions. Will be looking for the answer. :D
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I know that the 2009 Santa Fe can save XM stations..... It's saved just by holding the station selection button down for a few seconds--when you hear a tone the station is saved
    The procedure you described for saving channels in the 2009 Santa Fe sounds like what I did in my 2008 Azera. It is an Infinity sound system. However, unlike my other satellite radios that have individual channel playback buttons, the Azera just has the regular Infinity controls. I was guessing that some combination of the existing controls allows one to playback the preset channels. Does the Santa Fe have individual channel playback buttons i.e. buttons 0-9 etc. or does it use some existing buttons?
  • chichion101chichion101 Member Posts: 6
    I've been monitoring the CD & XM threads & have been impressed with the helpfulness of the group as everyone tried to help toward a resolution. Even though I use XM (2009 Limited with Infinity system), I've never used the CD player. That's because I've found the Ipod jack to be the best auxiliary for hooking up my Iphone & more often my Garmin GPS both of which have audiobooks & music loaded on them. I'm also using XM less for music due to these 2 devices.

I use the Garmin more for audiobooks & also for directions. When the audiobook is playing, the GPS will interrupt when necessary, then the audiobook resumes with a playback of a few seconds. (I think the latest software for the Iphone has 30-second playback but I haven't tried it yet.) This is so helpful for me on long drives that it has obviated listening to music & has kept up my attention better. The portability of the GPS is important as I can always resume where I left off whenever I switch cars.

When I bought the Azera in Feb I was specifically looking for the aux jack since I found it so handy in an after-market stereo that I had installed on an older car.

If you're in the process of buying a car, take some time to think about how you're going to use your devices. BTW, I don't put the GPS where I can see it. I just listen for the spoken directions & have been doing it this way for almost a year now. It's just a habit that I formed but I think I'm able to watch the road better by not watching the GPS.
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    Thank god Hyundai put in iPod integration. I'm shocked at what I can do with the 3GS iPhone (voice control) and nav apps, etc. fully through the stereo, etc. :o
    I used to tell my boys that if they fooled around with something long enough one of two things would happen: either they would figure it out or they would break it! Happily for me I figured out the way to set-up the preset XM channels on my 2008 Azera Infinity system. Here is how to do it if anyone wants to set theirs: (1) Use the Mode switch on the steering wheel to cycle through the options XM1, XM2, XM3, FM1, FM2, and AM. Choose XM1 to begin. (2) Use the right hand knob on the Infinity radio to select the channel you want to have on Preset 1 shown as P1. My wife likes the oldies so I chose "40's on 4." When "40's on 4 was playing I pressed the selection knob to hold the "40's on 4" then pressed and held the #1 on the second rocker switch from the left. This locked in "40's on 4" on preset 1 (P1). (3) Once again I used the right hand knob to select "50s on 5" and this time pressed and held #2 on the middle rocker switch. (4) I continued using this method until I had preset six XM channels on XM1. (5) I then used the Mode switch to go to XM2 and set six more XM channels. (6) Then Mode switch to go to XM3 and 6 more channels. (7) The same process can be used to set FM and AM frequencies.
    I forgot to tell how to cycle through the preset channel once set. Just use the "arrow buttons" on the steering wheel to cycle through any six presets. Use the Mode button to go to the next level i.e. XM 2 etc.
  • foresterguy1foresterguy1 Member Posts: 5
    We have the same thing going on, check engine lights, esc light, barely goes with full petal, stop a while, [non-permissible content removed] off, then its OK for a few days then again it does it. How much did it cost to repair?
    I have not had this problem with my Azera, but I am a computer guy and this sounds like a problem that is electrical/computer related. Like most modern cars there are many electrical/computer circuits in the Azera. The fact that when you shut-off the ignition switch and then restart the car runs ok, leads me to believe that the electrical shut-down causes the computers to "reboot" and then they work OK until the "electrical/computer bug" shows up again and the cycle starts all over. I don't think this is a problem you can fix yourself. I would think this would be a warranty fix item and that you should see your Hyundai dealer ASAP.
  • jbparadisojbparadiso Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same thing happen to me last week. Turned out to be the same problem. Contacted Hyundai road service, they had a tow truck to me within 30 minutes. The local Hyundai dealership (Merced, CA) had me back on the road within 48 hours. Everything covered by warranty - no money out of my pocket. I was truly impressed with Hyundai's service and response to this issue. They even upgraded the maps in my nav unit at no cost.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Replaced my 2008 grille with a 2009-10 grille which IMO looks much better, especially since my Azera is painted Black Onyx Pearl. Grille is available from Parts.com MOBIS OEM P/N 863513L500 for $96.09. Simple replacement, took about one hour. Also replaced the flying "H" with a aftermarket Luxury Generation badge front and rear available from KAI, just to be different.
  • dwengier77dwengier77 Member Posts: 30
    electronic throttle control unit, dealership should replace unit, it has a problem. same thing happened to me, but i just waited for road side assistance and got a free tow to a dealership and had them replace the unit right away, two hours behind schedual for that day, but problem resolved no more problems.
  • rgb42rgb42 Member Posts: 40
    Havnt been here in awhile, so sorry for the extremely late reply. It was fully covered under warranty ... didn't cost me anything out of pocket except my time.
  • 2008azeraowner2008azeraowner Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and persued the alarm arming angle. Three dead batteries, one new one and 3 visits to the dealer. They couldn't have been nicer but they also gave me the don't let it sit longer than a few days answer. Finally they found (with the help of a district tech rep) that the module for the seat presets was shot and the seat motors were draining the battery. Disabled the module and my car has been fine since. I have not yet had the new part installed but at least I know that I can trust the car now.
  • donniedonnie Member Posts: 24
    It's interesting that your problem involved the seat presets module. In my case, the second time I brought it to the dealer the problem vanished. My wife wonders if they didn't just slip in a new battery after they realized the original one was defective. The car, which now has about 23K on it, seems to improve with use. Riding qualities are much better now that an 13K. Went on a 2,200 trip South--got 26.8 MPG---no problems. Right now I'm hearing reciprecating noise up front,
    like a bearing or something. Dealer sez its the tires. Tires were rotated--still the same noise. They're wearing out pretty fast.
  • rance2rance2 Member Posts: 39
    Haven't shared your electrical problem. Have a 2007 Limited bought new. Love the car, especially value vs price. Consistently get 25 mpg and no performance issues ... except two. After rotating original equipment Michelin's constant thump-thump sound. Not wearing out, but I will be replacing now at 38,000 miles. Disappointing. Second is a rattle in the dash that seems to be getting worse. When I asked the dealer about it a year or so ago, service manager said it's a $1,000 effort to attempt fix and no guarantee of success. :D
  • michael422michael422 Member Posts: 2
    Similar problem on my 08'. Took it in and they took the entire dash out and found at least part of the problem. Still has slight rattles, but not as bad. Seems to be worse during cold days.
  • vikeavikea Member Posts: 7
    hello. i have an grandeur tg which is azera with 3.3 v6 for europe. and had same problem of instabile car over bumps. i added an profesional made strut bar (very rigid) and the result its no more longer hyundai azera. it is very very stable even at high speeds. i would also like to add an under fender reinforcement. if you have any idees were to get one would be gratefull.
    by the way you are very right and almeet 33 is wrong. stability and predictability is all about chassis stifness. BMW are very stable becouse of super rigid chassis. BM does not even have a double wish bone susspension which is a very good sus setup. cheers
  • vikeavikea Member Posts: 7
    yes it is. go for a strut bar. but a good one. Luxon is what i found
  • mozartmanmozartman Member Posts: 19
    Hello all,

I bought 2008 Azera Limited this Wednesday with 12,000 miles. And yesterday I noticed crack on dashboard. Should I call dealership or should I call Hyundai first? And I assume replacement will be covered by warranty, won't it?

Thanks.
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Repair of crack should be covered under warranty and I would contact dealer directly. Had same problem with my 2007 Azera and was fixed by Delaler without any problems.
  • srk12srk12 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, i just bought 2008 hyundai azera that has single disc player and navigation. It is missing AUX port. The car does not have bluetooth connectivity either. Can someone advise me on a product that allows me to listen music and take call on an iphone? thanks
  • judgmentbuyjudgmentbuy Member Posts: 27
    My solution was to burn MP3 CDs, 100 songs per disk, only the songs I like. So much better than one CD you keep popping in about . I change disks once a week at most.
  • chichion101chichion101 Member Posts: 6
    This may seem ironic but a product that I use is a Garmin GPS with bluetooth & capability of storing songs & audiobooks & the ability to add an SD chip for additional storage. To get all of this you have to go to the Garmin 700 or 800 series. I think the 800 series is now discontinued, but I was able to find it new about 6 months ago. For your specific situation, this may be the answer.

Even though I'm very happy with my Garmin, IN GENERAL, I can no longer recommend buying a GPS now that I have tried the Mapquest GPS which is free. I paired my iPhone with a BlueAnt bluetooth device & was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked on directions. It was almost as good as the Garmin in terms of turn anticipation but the Garmin had a more natural voice. I never look at the display when driving but as a passenger, Mapquest beats the Garmin & in-dash systems on 2 counts:
    1. the maps are ALWAYS up-to-date & you don't have to pay extra.
    2. you have the ability to pinch or expand the map almost instantly. When expanded, you will see features such as store names or points-of-interest that you won't see on the Garmin or in-dash system.
    I already have a spare garmin GPS system. it's old and doesn't have any of these options. I was looking at blue fusion products at bestbuy.
    I think there are two options:
    1. hooking up a cable to the back of the radio unit, the other end of it is a ipod cable. this way one can use navigation screen to browse ipod songs.
    2. there is a product that uses bluetooth to stream music and obviously you could take/make calls using the same product. I couldn't find this unit specifically made for Hyundai though.

i will pay a visit to autozone to see if they got any options.
  • djh123djh123 Member Posts: 1
    Hello SRK12 I am all about making my ride more pleasant with whatever technology is available. I found a factory installed system that has these capabilities offered in vehicles like camry generally run for 600 dollars, this is outrageous. Your local BestBuy will have a selection that of stereos that have all the features that you could ask for in Aux ports Sattelite radio USB plugs that connect to Ipods including music tagging as well as free HD radio for about half of that 600 dollars. Might I also suggest crutchfield.com there is an assortment of stereos available for around 150+free shipping if you are a do it yourself kind of person. Or if not the best bang for the buck and easiest thing you can do is order from Crutchfield buying a Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, etc. and for 50 dollars Best Buy will do the installation for you. I hope this information is beneficial for you.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    Can the 3.8 V6 in the Azzy be "reflashed" to achieve the performance numbers (hp and torque) for the 3.8 in the Genesis??? Same engine or different upper end and/or lower end internals??
    Thanks
    djh123...you're absolutely right! I have a 2006 Limited that now has in-dash DVD, aux input, usb input, SD card, built-in Bluetooth. I went with a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT and I love it. I supports iPhone & all MP3 players and I can even add a back-up camera to it if I so desire. There's also expandability to HD radio and nav (I just use my phone for navigation though). I spent $300 for the unit and did the installation myself. Another advantage to going with an aftermarket unit...better sound quality.

Happy New Year to all!!!
    thank you guys...
    i just don't think it is a good idea to totally rip out the factory installed navigation system and install an aftermarket unit. i want to just add the ipod functionality and if possible bluetooth connectivity.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    Where are the engine guys on this one??
  • mrpayne1549mrpayne1549 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings All,

On my 2006 Azera Limited with about 27,000 miles on it I’m hoping for some feedback on an occasional hard shift issue. Normally the car is only driven 10 miles a day to and from work no problem. But on longer trips have hard a few instances of hard shift.

The first time this hard shift bump occurred was when I was driving on city streets 2 minutes after getting off the freeway after a 2 ½ hour drive. On a scale of 1-10 this was a #5 bump like feel followed by a #3 bump in the next few minutes while accelerating from a signal light. There were no further bumps that day, even after another 2 ½ freeway drive.

The second time the #3 bump happened was on an on ramp after a 3 hour freeway drive and a short rest stop. No further bumps that day even after another 3 hour freeway drive.

The last time this #3 bump happened was on a city street after a 45 minute freeway drive. No further bumps on the return trip.
    I’m not sure which gears this bump happens between.

I have no MIL set. So I took it too a transmission shop and they could not find anything wrong but said there was a code C1616 CAN Bus Off Failure. His opinion was that this problem maybe an electrical issue. Has anyone ever had this shifting problem?

Thanks
  • donniedonnie Member Posts: 24
    My wife owns a 2008 Azera Ltd. with about 46,000 miles on itand we've experienced exactly the same "bumps" under the same conditions you described, mainly after a long, freeway drive. This has happened only about 4 times over 3 yrs. of ownership, so we just let it go, happy that we still have over a year on the warranty.
    I own a 2006 Limited with almost 126K miles on it (all put on by myself). There were a couple of times early on that I had hard shifts happen and the re-flash took care of the problem.
    Have you considered taking the car in and getting the computer flashed? Sometimes, it wipes out any codes that could cause hiccups. The transmission on the Azera is supposed to be a "smart transmission", in that it learns the driving habits of the driver and adjusts accordingly. As with most computers, glitches come up that require a re-boot to get things back in order. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the info regarding the flash. Do they do a certain flash, like transmission or ECU?
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2012
    I have recently had the exact same thing start to happen, under almost identical circumstances: I drive about 130 miles home from my mother's house occasionally and the first 100 miles is exclusively 70mph interstate highway, and right after I get off the freeway I get a 'hard shift' during acceleration. (I'm pretty certain it's between 2nd and 3rd, but maybe 3rd & 4th gears.) Usually only one, although I think I remember it happening twice one time. My Azzy is a 2008 with over 120,000 miles on it (yep, I drive around 30K miles/year) and it's odd since I never have even a little glitch in the shift pattern going up or down.

Reflash the computer module, eh? hmmm... I'm betting that's not covered once you're not under warranty any more, eh?
    edited March 2012
    I recently had a CD hang up in my changer and somehow trying to find the 'right' button at night to get it to push the darned CD out I managed to activate the "All eject" function, which isn't in the manual (I don't think) but used by service technicians to unload all 6 CDs in one quick sequence.

This all started to happen right after some moron hit me in the passenger side rear quarter panel - cutting it too close in a lane change, fortunately not at full speed, but around 45-50mph. I'm thinking the bump pushed one of the CDs outside the limits of where it's supposed to go, maybe? It would be nice if simply popping the radio on the side corrected the problem, but so far I haven't found the right cadence or slap to do it.

At this point, I've got the darned stereo in what seems to be an eternal "All eject" mode - even if the car has been sitting for a few days as soon as you power on the radio it goes into that mode. The other minor problem is that the two 'guide LEDs' (on either side of the slot so you can easily find it at night) are constantly blinking at a slow rate - even during the day.

Has anyone else seen this issue and if so, what was the resolution? Am I looking for a new head unit, I suspect? I haven't tried popping the fuse out yet, but I'm getting ready to do so. I'm hoping that will at least let me get back to using my XM and other over-the-air (or satellite) radio if I can't get the whole mess fixed easily.

It has sat three or four days without even discharging the battery a little, so I'm not particularly concerned about that. Those two LEDs don't even show up during the day they are so dim, but - I suppose it could be an issue if I was out-of-town for a week, possibly...

Just for extra credit, mine's a 2008 "Ultimate", which is why I posted it here in this specific forum.
    The crack in the dash is over the right (passenger) side airbag, I'm betting? Exact same thing here at about 60,000 miles, fortunately just before. It was replaced under warranty and at 125,000+ miles I haven't seen even a hairline (yet). I suspect they found it in some of the KDM (Korean home market) models which are one year ahead of us in the rest of the world and beefed up the spot where the dashboard is supposed to pop when/if the airbags are deployed.
    From what I understand in theory this hard shifting is caused by the Pressure Control Sensor/Solenoid increasing the transmission internal line pressure to keep the Torque Converter locked up on the highway. This high pressure then causes the first few shifts on the streets to be hard until this pressure is reduced. So, we just need to figure out if this is a Torque Converter, Pressure Control Sensor/Solenoid or Computer issue. Perhaps the tranny experts can give us some input.
    Sounds reasonable to me. Cheap/easy solution - push the shifter to the right.
    Well, replying to myself - not unusual.

The answer is to pull the fuse for 10 minutes, otherwise it will drain your battery in about 3 - 4 days. Curiously enough, after doing so - the CD player works and switches CDs just fine...
    Sounds reasonable to me. Cheap/easy solution - push the shifter to the right.

In this shifter to the right position would we have to slap shift through the gears or would the ECU/transmission do that?
    It will hold the gear longer, but shift before it damages the engine.
  • dcrobbie22041dcrobbie22041 Member Posts: 15
    I decided I had to trade her in at only 39000 miles, despite having no injuries in a rear-end accident and loving the car. I couldn't take the low mileage driving in stop and go traffic around Washington DC during my busy tax season this year. My new 2013 Sonata Limited is fantastic.
  • jerrybikerjerrybiker Member Posts: 53
    What causes the "CHECK ENGIN" light to come on.
    I have a 2008 Azera V6
    Thanks,
    Jerry
  • penzfan1penzfan1 Member Posts: 28
    Usually a sensor issue. Go by Autozone or Advance Auto and they will read the codes for you free of charge.
    Check Engine light can come on for a litany of reasons. From gas cap not on properly to a bad sensor. Mine came on around the 90K mile mark, I took it in and it was kicking back O2 sensor codes. So...as of right now, 1 of 4 O2 sensors is bad. Yes...you read correctly, the Azera (06's anyway) have a total of 4 O2 sensors.

The shop I take mine to wants $125 per sensor, I can order them from RockAuto.com and pay $65/ea. Just a head's up.
  • jerrybikerjerrybiker Member Posts: 53
    Thanks, My Check Engin Light went out on its own after a few days.
    Hope it does not come back on.

Jerry
  • penzfanpenzfan Member Posts: 16
    sometimes its just a piece of [non-permissible content removed] stuck on a sensor