Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Camaro Engine Problems

glenalbeeglenalbee Member Posts: 1
does anybody know about this engine and it's computer? i have done everything that u can do to an engine but it won't start! the code reader say's it should run but it won;t!! any advise would be appreciated!

Comments

• orgazmexorgazmex Member Posts: 1
    I recently did gasket kit work on my car. I changed every sensor you can think of. Now the vehicle will not start at all. Any answers from anyone.
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    the engine must have three things air , fuel , and ignition. it is not likely to be air but more likely fuel. and if it isn't fuel it ignition. establish that you have spark at the plug. and if you do you may try to mannualy prime the engine with fuel. you must be very careful if you do this. is this engine injected or carb. you can also try fuel pressure test if you wish.
  • ghost329ghost329 Member Posts: 9
    I need help with my 84 Camaro. I don't know what the problem is but when ever I rev up the engine and hold the gas peddle down, it revs up and then just dies down so I have to pump the gas to try and keep it running. If anyone knows what the problem is or might have an idea I need it and any info would help.
  • edbird4edbird4 Member Posts: 1
    May want to try replacing the fuel filter.
  • johnny2521johnny2521 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 90 camaro with a 305, I'm getting a stored code of EGR failure. The car is smokine excessively at all engine temps, pulling off from a dead stop it's really bad! can a failed EGR cause this amount of smoke? I've done a compression check, all cylinders good. I don't want to put in valve stem seals If I don't need too, was just wondering if the egr alone can cause that much smoke.Thanks!
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    what kind of fuel delivery system do you have? most problems that i have seen with egr is very poor gas mileage and odor. this comes from excessive fuel introduction on non carb. applications. you might ask mr shiftright or opatience
  • trouble10trouble10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 IROC Z with 167000 miles, all original etc. When my speedometer is sitting on 60, it is running at 1600 rpm. For no reason it will do strange things! I thought at first it was down shifting back to 3rd but seems like if it was, the rpm would go higher. You can feel it, almost like a miss and it goes up to about 1750 rpm for just a few seconds and then right back down to 1600. It does it alot. Of course I took it straight to a transmission shop. As soon as the guy got in the car for the ride, it was on it's best behavior! Never did anything wrong until I took the guy back and left. Then back to the same old thing. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on?
  • ls14eversls14evers Member Posts: 8
    check to see if egr passsages are plugged up
  • ut4x4ut4x4 Member Posts: 1
    My optispark recently failed while car was in gear and moving. I had no spark anywhere so I replaced the opti, the old one was full of coolant due to a leak at the water pump. I put everything back together and now have spark, 40 lbs of fuel pressure but the engine will not start. Could the vehicle have jumped timing when the opti failed? Or could I have dropped a valve?
  • sbcboy1sbcboy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 95 chevy camaro with a v6 in it i think it is the 3.4.. When you start the car it runs fine sometimes it runs rough but when you go to hit the gas to get up to speed it starts to break up and putter and it will do this when you staying at a steady speed to. I have done a full tune up on it and checked the compresion. I dont know what eles to do.
  • sal29sal29 Member Posts: 3
    Sure enough the minute I pay-off the loan, the car starts to have problems.@70k miles. When, I turn on the ignition, and hear a noise that sounds like it is coming out of the rear exhaust.

Now, today, when I turned on the fan to run the vent-air, I hear a fan noise. The motor on the passenger window has been broken for over a year.

Now, I worry about driving the car. Certainly do not have the funds to pay for major repairs. Any ideas?
  • chevyguy57chevyguy57 Member Posts: 3
    what would be the next step, I just changed the fuel filter and it is still doing the same thing. it will idle for along time but as soon as you rev the motor it dies out.
  • 1995camaro1995camaro Member Posts: 1
    1995 camaro lt 1 car runs very hot will go into the red while stopped but when u drive cools back down any thoughts could it be the water pump also heater blows no heat anddoesnt seem to leak inside the car at all
  • xmoldmakerxmoldmaker Member Posts: 1
    TOOK OUT OF STORAGE IT RAN GREAT FOR 3 WEEKS I FILLED THE GAS TANK WITH PREM ABOUT 10 MILES IT STARTED TO CHUG I HAD TO PUMP THE SNOT OUT OF THE GAS PEDDEL TO KEEP IT RUNNING FIRST I CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER IT WAS PLUGGED IT RAN THE SAME WAY THEN I CHANGED THE ROTOR CAP PCV VALVE AND SPARK PLUGS ALL WERE ORIG.THE SAME THING I MUST PUMP IT TO KEEP IT RUNNING SOUNDS LIKE NOT RUNNING ON ALL CYLINDERS WHEN THE TACH IS AT 3000 RPMS IT STAYS RUNNING BUT RACES UP AND DOWN ON ITS OWN CAN SOMEONE HELP ME GET MY BABY RUNNING AGAIN WHAT COULD IT BE?WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
  • 93camaro20193camaro201 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 camaro and I have been having the same issue recently... At first it runs great but when I drive for a little and turn the car off and start it again a couple minutes later the puttering starts. I was wondering if you resolved the issue yet? Earlier today it was puttering really bad so I pulled over and opened the gas tank and tightened the cap, the car ran great after that.
  • rnhunterrnhunter Member Posts: 1
    ya man i was wondering if you found out what was wrong with the camaro i have the same car it it is doing the same thing it you could let me know thanks.wayne
  • prowlerzprowlerz Member Posts: 1
    on the back of the opti you have to look at the 3 dots. it could be off just on the wrong dot or 180D off. the [non-permissible content removed] that is on the back of the opti could have moved just on the other side of the dot.one way to find out is to put a piece of paper behind the opti and see if the [non-permissible content removed] and the dot meet.if it does then remove the paper and put the opti back on.Trust me I have had 10 camaros.
  • newyorksebringnewyorksebring Member Posts: 18
    Great idea, never thought of that one before. It seems like people are having a lot of problems with their camaros, which makes me nervous seeing I have an older 95 with 158K on it. Runs amazing, but one of these days it will break down. Once it does, heck I'm doing a crate engine and reworking all the systems. I'm not going to deal with all the garbage of diagnosing each little problem. Eventually I plan to be pushing 500hp out of it. We'll see if it happens.
  • chris0501chris0501 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 camaro 3.8 V6 will start and idle but kind of rough and when i put my foot into the gas it bogs down.. Will not run faster than about 15 miles an hour.
    Codes: P0300, P0449, P1120, P1561. Replaced egr, what else should i do?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    very clogged catalytic converter could cause those symptoms.
    also looks like one of those codes indicates throttle position sensor. malfunction of that sensor could account for the symptoms too.
  • greasymonkey3greasymonkey3 Member Posts: 7
    i have a 1982 with a 350 in it has holly dual feed carb has spark and fuel i just bought the car it had been sitting. it started after i put a battery and fresh gas in it idled for five min the killed i could start it after that when it was cool if i tryed after it had already been started once it backfired through the carb. and now i can get it to fire but not start. i set the egine at tdc then check the distributor it was was off i put it closer now it fires more but wont start any ideas? timing chain jumped a tooth?
  • deansprob1deansprob1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Camaro that is losing water. I have replaced the water pump and thermostat. It is not overheating, but probably will if I let the water get low enough. There is no water in the oil. There is no oil in the water. It only smokes slightly until it reaches about 100 degrees, then none. There is a few drips coming out of the tail pipe maybe 4 or 5 drips in 15 minutes. Water coming out is clear (maybe slightly rust colored). No smell or taste. During that 15 minutes of running it loses about 2 pints of water. Can not find any leaks , but I know it is going somewhere. I don't want to do a head gasket job if it is not gonna solve the problem. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks at a loss!
    from my armchair i am confident it's for sure the intake manifold gasket or head gasket. intake manifold gasket common to require repair on the LT1 V8 especially.
    some of repair/replacement of the gasket is probably is done with RTV sealant, it's not easy to get a good cure/seal, took my dealership 3 tries to get it sealed right.
    personally i wouldn't run that engine whatsoever until it's fixed.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Good to see you again, elias! :)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

tnx, claire-s, likewise here ! :)

ps - Lately I'm thinking 2012 Camaro ZL1 - with no engine problems.
  • garyww24garyww24 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1989 camaro with the tbi 305 was wondering what could be causing my car to turn over more then usual then starts. by more then usual meaning like it cranks over prolly 5 to 6 times then fires up rather then mybe 2 or 3. also sometimes when i stop at a stop sign or red light i go to take off and it dies but starts right back up thanks for any help
  • sunny46sunny46 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    we just bought this car and theres water in the oil it doesent act like a blown head gasket i was wondering if the 3.8 could be like the 3100 with an intake leak
    i'd make the same guess - intake manifold gasket - without knowing for fact if it's possible with this engine - but it's gotta be.
    i need a blow up of the fuel pump and sending unit for a 1998 chevy camaro 3.8 litre automatic
    this 1998 chevy camaro3.8 litre has fuel pressure and runs for say 10 min then it has alkinds of pressure and no fuel i have no return pressure so it keeps building until it acts like a vapor lock u toggle the key a couple times and it will start again but then dies again do u know if i shoud have at least a little return pressure to let the air out of the system
    SWAG:
    theoretically the symptom sounds like it can be explained by gasket/flange/fuel-line failure-when-heated on the inbound side of fuel pump - failure allows air into pump intake rather than fuel.
    if that's the case the fuel pump may have irreparably damaged by running too hot due to no 'fuel pump coolant' (fuel).
    if pump/fuel-line is difficult to access, a way to test the possibility may be cold-spray to chill-out the suspect areas/items to see if that delays the issue from occurring.