Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Audio Questions

pablo9990pablo9990 Member Posts: 2
Looking for a solid state MP3 player with the following:

4 GB capacity
Line in recording
FM tuner
FM recording
AA or AAA replaceable batteries
Drag and drop file management
Don't care about video capability

Seems like newer players are moving away from these basic required features.

Comments

• carter8aslcarter8asl Member Posts: 2
    I suggest you have a look at this model it’s using now by my brother in his own car. It has the most comprehensive function but reasonable price with good features….

http://www.goliathbargains.com

I especially like the surrounding sound effect, hope this fulfill your requirement.

Good luck.
  • pablo9990pablo9990 Member Posts: 2
    I got lost trying to compare all the MP3 models so....can someone tell me which model(s) have these features.

I looking for an MP3 player with the following features.

Aprox. 500 songs capacity
    FM radio
    FM recorder
    Bookmark function so I could stop podcasts and return to where I left off.
    Screen so I could see albums and songs, podcasts from same site...

Maybe I'd better stop there.
  • carter8aslcarter8asl Member Posts: 2
    My sister used an MP3 player in her car. It is very useful and cheapest from others.
    I think you can get your all features in this player. it’s sound output is very good as well as amazing battery life. You may check out the site : www.goliathbargains.com
    I forgot to tell you... Remote is very handy. I no longer need to locate the forward button on FM transmitter while driving.
    Good luck!
  • buddymbuddym Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if this is a double post but I didn't see my earlier post. I've been internet shopping the 05-08 Town Car this weekend, but don't see any info on whether the base (''Premium'') Town Car single CD player or the Dual Media upgrade are capable of MP3 CD playback or any amp specs. Thanks for any help!
  • 2008ltc2008ltc Member Posts: 4
    I own a prestine well maintained and in original condition 1988 Lincoln Town
    Signature Series my stereo screen controls come on , but there is no sound
    I am hoping this is a fuse problem or something simple so that I will not have

to replace the original jbl radio/cassette player with an aftermarket one, because I am trying to keep the original everything on this car inside out due to the extreme
    preserved condition, this march the car will be 20 yrs old any suggestions
    email me at hglaw@ureach.com , I am in NC :) I am in need of suggestions on
    hopefully correcting the problem
  • mike285mike285 Member Posts: 1
    The radio comes on, but no sound comes out of the speakers, please help
    You can email me @ mmoody@brake.com
    Thanks
  • curitiba23curitiba23 Member Posts: 2
    The factory radio/cassette w/ JBL premium stereo on my 92 TC, Cartier comes on but no sound, only an occasional "click". All fuses are good. Are there any fuses on the amps in the trunk? :confuse:
  • jrokjrok Member Posts: 9
    My 1990 tc has an amp in the trunk, but i dunno about you're model, wouldn't hurt to check
  • genesis6genesis6 Member Posts: 8
    I don't believe the TC through model year 2008 has the capability of playing MP3 discs through the standard or optional sound systems. Hopefully, the 2009 TC will be updated with Sync, a USB port to support portable music devices and keep them charged, and an dash 6 CD player that supports MP3. I really like the TC, but the audio system is antiquated (others may argue the whole car is antiquated, but it remains the only full-size rwd traditional American luxury car).
  • ndrakesmithndrakesmith Member Posts: 1
    I just inherited a 97 Town Car Executive with the low end audio system (not JBL). I want to substitute a system that includes CD, hopefully without running new wires or making modifications. Does anyone have experience with this, either with manufacturer's equip or aftermarket equip?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Re:Manufacturer's equip: The speakers used in the JBL system can be pulled from a Town Car in a Salvage Yard. If the amplifier can be pulled, take it as well. Very few people have the hearing sensitivity to discern the difference between what you presently have and the JBL system playing against engine and road noise.

As for a CD player, the discriminating ear may notice a drop in higher cycles when the amplifier in the trunk broadcasts to the antenna for reproducing the sound. If you are forced to use that system, the present tape player provides much better fidelity.

Thus, if you insist on a CD system, make sure it is wired direct, NOT relying on the antenna to receive a signal & then transported to the radio unit.
  • JustCoolalJustCoolal Member Posts: 1
    Try replacing your 20 Amp fuse on the amplifier in the trunk. It may be blown. If so you need to find out why it blew or it may blow again.
  • sprintzsprintz Member Posts: 1
    I havae 1998 TC with jbl audio system has anyone replaced their subwoofer with a aftermarket sub in the stock encloser with a aftermarket amp? If so how did it work out???
  • cwondraschcwondrasch Member Posts: 1
    My TC premium sound system plays great 95% of the time. However, recently my FM radio has been going out intermitently. It will be playing fine one minute, and then I lose all channels. When this happens, I can switch to CD mode and the sound is fine, so I don't thik there is anything wrong with the amplifier. My thought is that I either have a problem with the FM receiver, or possibly a loose antenna contact. I checked the rear windwhield, and the soldered contacts seem OK. It will be out for a few days, and then a couple days later, I can push FM and it works fine. Any ideas ? How do I get at the antenna cnx to check?
  • ranch65ranch65 Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 lincoln town car with jbl system and trunk mounted cd changer is producing only a very, very loud popping and crackling noise. This noise increases in volume when the volume control is increased. If the volume control is turned down to zero, a very faint but clear audio sound can be heard without the popping or crackling. The noise is the same both on radio and cassette. Haven't tried with the cd. Any ideas.
  • rob390rob390 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 TC w/the Premium JBL audio sytem. I also have a trunk mounted 6 disk CD changer and a mobile phone that was installed in the middle armrest w/the hands free button by the rear view mirror. The problem is that i get sound, but only highs in the doors and no subwoofer or lows from the 6x9's or any speaker. Just the high range sound. Wich amp controlls the lows or the sub? the fuse under the hood seems fine. What could the problem be? Thank u.
  • devoteddevoted Member Posts: 2
    where is the cable located in the trunk of a lincoln towncar to hook up a factor cd changer
  • devoteddevoted Member Posts: 2
    o a 2000 lincoln
  • vikingredbaronvikingredbaron Member Posts: 2
    On the passenger side truck there is an amp mounted upside down to the plastic sub enclosure. From that amp runs two wires which go to the factory sub. I cut those two wires about halfway up, I put a 10"bazooka in the trunk and ran the two wires red/black from the bazooka to the factory one wires I cut halfway up, spliced one to the red and splice the other to the black. Turned the car on and done, it took longer to figure out than to do. The install took under 5 minutes.
  • vikingredbaronvikingredbaron Member Posts: 2
    I have same year car and audio system as you do. All my speakers play the same as yours and when I turn up the bass only the subwoofer receives that signal and no other speakers it seems. So the amp which controls the factory sub is located in the trunk on the passsenger side usually mounted upside down and screwed into the plastic subwoofer factory enclosure, just left of where the spare tires sits, it should be silver and have two plugs, the one on the left is the audio input plug and the right plug has two speaker wires going into the subwoofer, if you follow the wires coming out of the amp you should be able to decipher which one is which.,If the lows arent playing it could be this amp which went bad unfortunately but I cant say with a 100% certaintity thats the issue
  • mrb413mrb413 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2000 TC with the Alpine Premium Sound. Does anyone know if a newer unit with the indash 6 CD changer can be swapped with out major modifications?
  • stonehenge2k7stonehenge2k7 Member Posts: 1
    What is the model number of the Bazooka tube you are using? I running old school a/d/s amp 6 channel and have used and abused Bazooka tubes before and think they are awesome. I have a 99 Town car I would like to put one in to go with my 6 X 8 Boston Acoustics. Can you send me any pics of your set up?? My email adress is rchapa1992 at yahoo Thanks for any help you can give me.. My factory stuff sounds ok right now, but only up to a certain volume. Thanks again! Stonehenge2k7
  • jkiliesjkilies Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the Town Car I just inherited from my father. Have you found the solution?
  • ckrazyragoockrazyragoo Member Posts: 2
    the person next door she has a problem with here radio she put it on the other day it says bad on the display does this mean the radio is no good or is ther away to reprogram it thank you if any one can help you can contact me at ump3140@aol.com
  • ckrazyragoockrazyragoo Member Posts: 2
    not yet
  • parish1parish1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 93 towncar. Have you had any luck in fixing this issue?
  • lad5lad5 Member Posts: 1
    cd, casset, everything plays fine but the radio,nothing but static, checker antenna ok sub woffer and amp ok, what els can I do?
  • blgmferblgmfer Member Posts: 1
    hey, i just bought a cd player for my 89' lincoln town car. It turns on and everything but there's no sound coming form the speakers, i know they work cause i was listening to the stock radio earlier that day.
  • kingjraykingjray Member Posts: 3
    The car pulls hard to the right at normal speeds and slightly at highway speeds. Ive had it checked out and had an alignment done. Everything is fine. They reccomended in having the Speed Sensitive Steering checked.
  • jrwijrwi Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    AM/fm works when it wants to. Cassette player works all the time. 2003 towncar,alpine radio
  • raptorgoose22raptorgoose22 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 TC w/ a JBL premium sound system and i'm trying to install an after-market head unit. almost all wiring kits i have tried do not fit. i am trying to find a wiring diagram for the TC. please help. thnx
  • brooke72brooke72 Member Posts: 1
    What was the answer to you 2003 Lincoln towncar radio issue (everything worked wxcept for static on the radio?
  • adougadoug Member Posts: 6
    I believe on the 2002 it is located to the right of the spare tire and is in plain sight. Upon research I have discovered that possibly we have to take the car into a dealer to have it hooked up properly, is that so?
  • fltcfltc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 town car with a cell phone in the center console (disposed of last year). I recently disconnected my battery for another problem and now the word 'phone" appears in my radio display and I can't get the am/fm to display and work. Anybody have any ideas?
  • dominus357dominus357 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response? I want to replace my JBL TC stereo as well? Were you able to change it? If so, please post installation steps.
  • 99towncarexec99towncarexec Member Posts: 160
    Have a 96 town car sig w/JBL stereo.The cassette player playes on side 2,but side one get all crackly and I can't use it.2 RADIOS,,same results.Any body have any ideas.The cassette is actually the one connected to my sirius tuner on the floor.
    If you get static on the radio when you turn on the rear defogger,that's a Ford issue and the have a fix.I forget what it is,but I think it means replacing the rear window!
    edited May 2011
    My auto function on the heater/ac works in auto function on the A/C,but not the heater.Is this the relay going bad or what??
  • bigthunkbigthunk Member Posts: 1
    I recently inherited a 2001 Lincoln Executive Town Car from my Great Grandfather's passing. It's a magnificent car but I can not find the cd changer. My manual says in the trunk or under the driver's seat (or maybe passenger). But I'm not seeing it. There's also a button on my radio that says "cd". Is it possible the car just didn't even come with a cd changer? Or am I overlooking something?
    Just because it may be pre wired for a CD doesn't mean there is one. The Executive would have one in the trunk.
  • 96blacktc96blacktc Member Posts: 1
    Hi- I have the same problem . Did you find a fix? Pls. share if you did. Thanks, Robert
  • my97staffcarmy97staffcar Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 Signature Series and in the process of replacing all tierods...ball joints...upper and lower control arm bushings...some of the parts suppliers offer over sized ball joints and different types of bushings depending on the type of package my car came with...my question is how can I tell if my car came with the touring edition handling package...I have replaced my sway bar bushings after having to measure it which was about an inch or 25.4mm...much to my dismay Lincoln made a million sizes...I also went to Carfax and put in my VIN and it came up as a Signature Series / Touring Edition / J N...would appreciate any input...on a side note I upgraded my steering wheel with a woodgrain...98 to 2002 Towncar...Navigator...Continental have the same wheel...some of the airbags also came with woodgrain trim...thanks again
  • linc94linc94 Member Posts: 2
    this could b ur rdio needs replace or reset button on radio or factory amp may need to be replaced connections through whole system need to be checked time consuming but necessary
  • linc94linc94 Member Posts: 2
    u have to make sure u hooked the factory amp back up and the radio has sound by hooking up a speaker thats not in the car let me know what u get
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The VIN will absolutely tell you - find a VIN decoder on the internet. There is a letter or number in there that will identify it.
  • rlfishrlfish Member Posts: 1
    Everytime it rains, my radio generates only static; after a week or so of dry days, it usually clears up but lately it continues to be completely unusable. The cd works nicely at all times. Any idea what might be causing the problem?
  • chrisptown1chrisptown1 Member Posts: 41
    looking@'07 t/c sign. limited radio has a "SAT" bottom, salesman says this means it is already wired, but BEST buys says it need a ant. and/or turner, consult dealer, who says consult Best Buy?? what gives, Help. Thanks. :(
    If there is a pimple on the roof, it is probably already wired.
  • chrisptown1chrisptown1 Member Posts: 41
    by pimple you mean those stubby little ant.'s.
    yep.