Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid IMA Problems

Comments

• ehybridehybrid Member Posts: 1
    Ogre GEV,

You seem to be the most knowledgeable poster here, so i direct this to you.

I am the original owner of a 2007 HCH. My total average MPG (as displayed on the dashboard, aggregate since incept, is 50.9). This display is always conservative compared to my calculations. Every tankful I average between 52.0 and 55.0 MPG. I drive in the 2nd lane from the right on Los Angeles freeways, 25 miles each way to work and back, 5 days a week. I get 500+ miles on a tankful. My total average calculated MPG since incept is greater than 52.4 MPG. I also drive a maximum of 39MPH on surface streets, and 58MPH on freeways. I accelerate gently and decelerate with an eye towards battery charging. My vehicle has never been serviced by anyone but a single reliable (though pricey) Honda Dealer, and I have declined to have the IMA firmware update performed, which was offered about a year or two ago, which is my prerogative. I just crested 60K miles a few days ago. My MPG blows away the numbers reported by friends and family who own Priuses. This makes me smile.

This morning the IMA warning light came on for the first time. The car exhibited no ill effects, but I drove it straight to the dealer. The IMA is covered by a 150K mile warranty. After investigating, the dealer announced that the IMA battery pack must be replaced, AND in doing so I could no longer opt out of the firmware update. I asked if there was an upgrade pathway that would get my battery pack replaced with the LiIon batteries of the 2012 HCH, instead of the old tech NimH batteries (which were clearly inferior). Nope, same for same, Fine, I tried.

Now on to my question. So, what can I now expect in the way of changes in performance? It is my understanding that the firmware update essentially alters the algorithm for charging and dialing in/out the IMA, so that the weighting is more toward preserving the NiMH batteries, than maintaining better gas mileage. With my rather sedate driving habits, will I even be affected? I have seen some people post that they saw a dramatic 10% to 20% reduction in fuel economy, but many also posted that they drive much faster, and more aggressively.

I guess I will find out for myself tomorrow when I get my car back from the dealer, but I just wondered if anyone here has had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance!
  • slider162slider162 Member Posts: 16
    With a fresh battery, you should be fine. I lost 1-2 MPG only because my battery is on its last leg. I get no assist out of it for the first 5-10 minutes every morning since the upgrade because it is re-calibrating. At those speeds and on flat surfaces, your on the engine alone anyway.
    Taking the car in one last time tomorrow. They had it Saturday but I'm sure the techs didn't know what they were looking for and said there was nothing wrong with it. Now that the techs have seen my video, I hope to get some results.
  • Ogre_GEVOgre_GEV Member Posts: 263
    Time will tell, but with your driving patterns, I don't think you'll see any change. You may even see an improvement due to the prior losses imposed by the old failing battery. Please let us know how it does.
  • bosslessbossless Member Posts: 179
    Based on your driving behavior I think you will do as well as ever. I had the update first and then the battery replacement. The update did not fix my problem, but once the battery was replaced, I was back to my before experienced mileage. I think the less conservative drivers as a general rule get less mileage with the update and a good battery. Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.
    I'm doing the happy dance right now! They have agreed to replace my IMA battery.
  • muse50muse50 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get them to replace your IMA; I was told I need a new one and it is no longer under warrenty for my 2003 Honda hybrid after 80,000 miles and will cost over $3,000.?
    Your 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid has an 8 year/ 84,000 mile warranty.

That is 8 years from the in-service date (date originally sold). If you were under the time and mileage when you went to the dealer, you are covered. If you are under the date but over mileage but still under 88,200 miles, (5% over), then Honda will give you a 50% "goodwill" price ($1500), but only if you get upset and complain (it will take a few days as they "consult the regional rep").

If you are beyond those ranges, search the web for a replacement battery that is new or refurbished (a pack straight out of a junkyard will die in 8 months due to cell imbalance), or have yours repaired. Any of these options will save you quite a bit of money.
    I was well within the warranty period at 67,000 miles. The techs had no idea what I was talking about until they saw the video on YouTube. So making a video was the best thing I could have done. It isn't the easiest thing to explain especially since my car had to sit for at least 8 hours in order to reproduce the issue. Once they saw the video they were able to reproduce the issue twice. I still had to rent a car for three days, but that is a heck of a lot better than the alternative.
  • missdismayedmissdismayed Member Posts: 16
    Am I crazy or what? I can read the warranty (thanks to many of your posts that caused me to dig a little deeper online and find my registration info on the Honda site). The IMA is covered 10/50,000 but I get told today that I need a new one and it will be $2500!

I wasn't able to do anything except get in the rental car and drive home stunned and wondering how I could have been feeling so great about my car a week ago and now wanting to cut my wrists for being such a 'dumb' buyer to buy a vehicle that will need something so costly so soon. The Service Manager assured me the replacement was fully guaranteed for 3 years/50,000, but all I could think was, 'Great - at 3 years + 1 day or 50,001 miles, I will need another one. Seemed my savings in gas was going to be spent on IMA systems.

Then I began looking online and found a reference to Edmunds and here I am reading so much information about the problem I am having. I will get to the dealer tomorrow morning posthaste to wave the warranty and ask the Service Manager, "What gives?!"

Should I get a second opinion? After discovering the warranty oversight, I'm a little skeptical about the problem as originally presented to me. Also, a little worried that they might 'mess' with something else out of spite. What do you think? Any other suggestions (that are legal, that is)?
  • lowbridlowbrid Member Posts: 5
    UPDATE: 9 months and 9,000 miles later... The "recals" on my 2009 HCHII became more frequent and auto-stop more rare. Then at 50,000 miles the Check engine light goes on. I call the dealer and they tell me that sometimes its the gas cap not being tight enough. Since I always tighten it to 3 or more clicks, I bring the car in and sure enough, I need a new IMA battery.
    A few days later the new battery arrives, I drive it in to the dealer, and 3 hours later, the car is driving good as new! No charge. Mileage is back up, "recals" are rare, and auto-stop is frequent.

I am sad that a 2009 with 50k miles already needed a new battery. I agree with the other posters that letting your car sit for too long ( I was bike commuting for a few months and driving infrequent) can degrade and unbalance the cells. Glad it is covered by warranty, I just hope I don't need batteries every 3 years and 50k miles...
    I just wonder how often this is happening. My 2006 went at 90K miles and 4 yrs. It would be interesting to conduct a poll on this.
  • selinzselinz Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2011
    Currently have 175K+ miles on the vehicle, had battery changed at 140K (Honda changed it for free without any request from me after they did a software change and determined that my battery was in need of replacement). FYI, I get my oil changed by Honda every 7.5K miles. I get the transmission fluid/filter changed every 30K miles by Honda. I refused all other offered service.
    I replaced the front disks at 90K, and then again at 160K (although the noise was caused by a rocking getting lodged in a pocket in the caliber). I have never adjusted the valves. I have never changed the plugs. I have changed the cab and air filters when Honda offers (I buy them from the parts department... takes literally less than 5 minutes to change).

General observations:
    Mileage: If I go 55mph or less, I can get 50mpg. If I go 65mph I get closer to 45mpg and if I go 75mph I get closer to 40mpg. Around town stop and start I get around 43 the way I drive. The mileage tends to degrade as I get closer to the 7.5K mile oil change. And it gets even worse when I get close to the 30K transmission fluid change. I immediately notice the difference with the tranny fluid changes. The oil changes are more difficult to detect but the engine gets a little quieter. Because I take the same commute routes every day (for the last almost 5 years) I have pretty good data. I reset the mileage after each tank fillup. I used to log it manually but found that the speedometer mileage was a bit more pessimistic than the actual but a whole lot easier to keep track of.

I almost never take the RPM's above 3500 and NEVER take them above 4000. Why? It adds so little to the horsepower but consumes much, much more gas. I contend that anyone who never takes their RPM's above 3500 and gets their transmission fluid changed regularly with will get more than 40mpg. I have had only two tanks since I owned the car get less than 40mpg. One was driving through the desert going 80+ with AC on (115 outside). The other was when my wife drove in 100+ weather driving around town with the AC on.

I think that around town miles will be impacted most by a poor battery. Highway mileage is more a function of the driver.

One adder. I have not had any power steering problems since they changed the IMA battery. I presume that means that the battery was the source of the problem.
  • jjsparksjjsparks Member Posts: 8
    I have to disagree. I have a 06' Civic Hybrid. I bought it in spring of 2010 with 36K on it. Last winter the IMA light came on and they issued the update, that I didn't want. It of course didn't really fix the problem, it just masked it. Ever since then recals have become more and more frequent. I've complained, and complained, and complained to Honda however, without an IMA light they just told me nothing was wrong. Long story short, recals got as frequent as every 8-15 miles. Honda will be replacing my battery next week. I'm axious to see what it will be like. I'm betting 60-65 MPG. Anyway, back to the reason I disagree. I hate recals, HORRIBLE!!! I was having, as I said, one every 8 miles, sometimes more often. I was able to maintain 50-53 MPG. That's with a highway commute of 72 miles a day. Stop and go was harder but still was able to get 47-50 in those cases. It's really just about how you drive. When I first got the car, when it was performing better, I couldn't get over 45. It was when I really studied hypermilling technicques that I began to understand more about how to drive. One of the biggest things IMO is do your best to keep it under 2000 RPMs. Makes a MAJOR difference! I'm not a hypermiler, but the car has always given the mileage it advertised. With proper technique, even better. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    I agree that keeping the engine rpm as much as possible below 2000 is an excellent guide. I do that and get averages anywhere from 48-53 mpg depending on driving conditions. I have a replacement battery and the SW upgrade.
  • mabecanemabecane Member Posts: 46
    I had to talk! My 2006 gives me the PoA7F code since yesterday. No warning, out of nowhere.
    My mileage was still above 40mpg and the car ran fine , the engine stopped at stop lights and such. I hope refusing the update last year won't affect my IMA warranty.
    If I'm well informed CT has a 10 year/150k warranty on the CVT low emission hybrid.
  • missdismayedmissdismayed Member Posts: 16
    Good for you to consider yourself a well-informed consumer. That may help and, then again, it may not matter. I just finished being offered 'a great deal' to pay 1/2 of the total cost for replacement of the IMA battery that I never authorized to be replaced in my vehicle. Most of my complaints have to do with the dealer service; however, Honda has monopolized the battery replacement arena by not allowing anyone but Authorized Honda Dealers to do anything with the IMA problems. I wanted a 2nd opinion and a chance to have the work done where the estimate would be lower, if possible. The dealer service removed my battery before the one they ordered arrived and sent mine back for refurbishing. You may receive my refurbished battery! That's why they own the game and why the warranty is only 3yr/36Kmiles and only good at Honda authorized dealers.

Beware of what may be ahead; call one or two dealers if they are available in your area and just ask for an guesstimate of IMA replacement for the year and model of your hybrid. Don't give away too much about your car, refusal of software, etc. Just ask for an estimated quote. Keep in mind that they quoted me $2500+ and then, after one screw-up after another for 5 days, they offered to pick up 1/2 the cost. I paid $1377. An independent repair shop told me that would be about what they would charge if they could do the work and they knew they were still making a profit.

I wish you luck. BTW here is the 800 number for Honda 1-800-999-1099 (hours M-F 6am-5pm PST). They have an "out of warranty assistance" department if you should need to ask for assistance. They do work hand-in-hand with the dealer, but there may be some response if you tell them how unhappy you are with HONDA (if that becomes the case, as it did for me). I advise contact them BEFORE the work is authorized by you if you think you are having a difficult time.
    You got a better deal than I did. It cost me about $1800, which was supposed to be half price.
  • viawviaw Member Posts: 34
    so jj,
    you said that honda claimed you got no right to a new battery cuz it was "normal". so how did you "get a new battery"? your own $$?
    I think he paid half. That is what I did.
  • 04civhyb04civhyb Member Posts: 1
    Ogre_GEV, please allow me to direct this to you, and anyone else experiencing this that wants to pitch in.

DEETS:
    -HondaCivHyb 2004
    -first owner
    -125K miles
    -problems galore :lemon: including slipping, 02 sensors [recently replaced]
    -latest issue: IMA

IMA
    Orange IMA light came on couple days ago - late in the weekend. Didn't drive much this past weekend. Then the red battery light on yesterday - Monday morning. She made a funny coughing sound when on ignition. That's when I saw the red battery light. Very poor acceleration. Iffy braking. No battery charge whatsoever. Drove her to dealership same day. They quote ~$3500 for refursbished battery [they say only the shell is refurbished]. I beg and plead for Honda to help me out. I should hear back tomorrow on whatever discounted rate is available.

We had one of our hottest summers here in TX if that's a factor :shades: .

My questions:

>Honda says the car is driveable and I can still drive it as I make a decision. True? Safe? Am I harming anything else?

>If I don't replace battery, can I sell? Who would buy her?

>If I do replace battery, better chances of selling?

>Do the software updates have anything to do with my problems, as I see some forumites have alluded to?

>Am I just "lucky" to have had it drive this long w the battery intact? Was this just a matter of time?

I am sooo sad. :( I don't feel anger, irritation at this point... just sadness. This car has given me such problems for being so expensive and supposed to save resources... please let me know some thoughts before I jump off a cliff - more like drive off a cliff...

That's a good question. I've known for a year I needed a new ima battery. I didn't need some orange ima light to come on. The problem I had was intermittent at first and I even had the ima light come on a second time however, every time I took it into Honda it performed perfectly. The time when the ima light came on, the car lost all power. I would pull out in the road, and I'm not exagerating here, I could have got out and pushed the car at least as fast if not faster. The next morning the light was off but there was a dc to dc converter recall so they took care of that. Anyway the performance of the car got worse and worse. Back in August I had honda keep it overnight. The service guy drove it home and had it perform a recal in him. He was astonished by it but when they called the tech line they told him that it was normal, it could happen. Well I'm fine with that if that's what it was. What Honda was referring to is the ima dropping to about 4 bars, minimal assist and the engine taking more of a load to charge the battery. What I have been having is dropping from 8 bars to 2 bars no assist and very very frequent, several times a day. They told me to call Honda corporate. Honda corporate told me to have the dealer call in the district tech. So that's what I did. By the time I had them look at it, the car was having this occur on average every 8 miles. That just is not acceptable. No ima light. Honda kept it for 3 days and sent all kinds of information to Honda. They finally called me and said that they were replacing the battery. Said that the battery is actually still good but it is on the verge of going bad. (the battery is bad. Their latest software update just has higher tolerances. I mean this whole think started with an ima light and software update to mask it). Anyway I wasn't going down without a fight, my warranty only had 1000 miles left. So it goes to show they will replace it without and ima light if there really is a problem. Good luck. I get my new battery installed tomorrow. I don't know if it was relief of worrying about it or what but on my way home today after filling up, I've maintained 72 mpg for 23 miles. I'm sure that will be blown with my start up tomorrow, one of the things I expect to get better after the new battery.
    8 years and 125k miles is a typical life for these batteries and is actually good for the Texas heat. $3500 is about $500 more than the national average, but you should be aware that there are batteries available mail-order in the $2000 range.

if the red battery light (I don't mean the IMA light) is on all the time, then you cannot drive the car. If it goes out when you give it a little gas, then you can drive it, but avoid idling it for long periods of time (also keep it below 3800rpm).

At this point, you should fix it (let's face it-a part wore out) and drive it another 8 years before the battery needs to be replaced again. O2 sensors and catalytic converters are a 3-5 year item with this car due to the IMA system, and you've already repaired the CVT issues, so this should be a low-cost car to keep running, and it gets excellent gas mileage.

Don't get the software updates if you are getting an aftermaket battery.
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to call you on this one. You are exaggerating. I've driven CVT and MT 2003-2005 Civics with their batteries removed and bypassed and they are pokey that way, but they're still quicker than some econoboxes or even some SUVs. The 2006+ are a tad wimpier, but not much.

Not fun and definitely not desirable, but definitely drivable - especially if you turn off the AC (which should automatically be disabled in the kind of IMA failure you experienced).

Anyway, I'm glad you got a new battery under warranty.
  • utcarolutcarol Member Posts: 3
    So how can I bypass my battery and who will do that? How do I find them? I need to replace my battery but I'm seriously broke right now. But I need to have a car! I've looked at the NY battery place online - is that a good route to go for replacement?

Thanks!
    I'm not exagerating but let me clarify. The second time the light came on, the car would get up to speed but pulling out was what I was referring to. It was extremely slow, literally felt like someone was trying to push me out in the road. Very scary and very unsafe. After getting moving it would be okay, but starting was a nightmare.
  • nyhondanyhonda Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 HCH and the batteries have been failing for couple years now. I too opted out of the firmware flash and bingo Monday the IMA light came on. The dealer was very willing to replace the IMA when the required code came up. What I do not like and objected too was Honda required the replacement to include the firmware flash. Basically same story as yours. I fought it but Honda simply does not care. Can u tell what to expect when I get the car back?

btw I was getting 45mpg for the first 2 years and b4 the failure was down to 36.
  • suckedinsuckedin Member Posts: 5
    I am interested in runing mine with out the IMA battery assist. How do I disconnect it safely?
    It sounded like a good idea at the time, What I have saved in fuel cost I have spent in repairs.
    2 bad transmissions one covered by extended warranty the other not. Need a 2800 battery to pass a emissions test. Need all the moter mounts replaced, I am at 170000 miles. I would to God I had bought a 5 speed Civic at the time was 10k less. live and learn and the Greenies can jump in the river
    >So how can I bypass my battery and who will do that?

Contact me via email.
    > It was extremely slow

Yes, but the lbs/hp is identical to a Prius with a depleted pack and LOWER than a Land Rover Discovery.

It's slow, but it's still faster than a Yugo, a VW Lupo, etc.
    >I am interested in runing mine with out the IMA battery assist. How do I disconnect it safely?

Contact me via email.
    Got my new battery yesterday. At first I was not impressed but it seems the longer I drive the better it gets. Could it be that the computer was used to the state of the old battery and is/was treating the new one as such. Since the system never actually takes a battery reading, could it be so that it has to learn, by trial and error, the condition of the new battery?
    Well apparently that's what it was. The second day it went into a long calibration, like 10-15 mins. Came out and been a different car ever since. Battery stays around the middle as the software says it should. I always have assist when I need it. Car is much more responsive and smooth than before. Its weird, I look at it and think, recal is coming but it doesn't, even when it gets to 4 bars I still get plenty of assist and auto stop. The old battery wouldn't drop below 5 and was getting more and more to where it would drop at 6. Called Honda and they were surprised. Since the IMA light never came on they didn't expect a new battery to make much difference if any. It's amazing how I can tell them for almost a year that it needs a new battery and without their almighty IMA light and even when all the testing they did they still thought it wouldn't help. Either they are clueless idiots or in complete denial or both. Anyway I'm happy. The car has never performed this well since I bought it.
  • mabecanemabecane Member Posts: 46
    I decided to erase the PoA7F code with my scanner to make sure the fault was not a fluke before bringing the car to Honda. Now I have been driving for nearly two weeks and the IMA light has not come back. But!!! the car gives me a better mileage, up to 46mpg from 41. Same driving conditions. The battery re-calibrates in the morning and the car drives perfect . There is more activity with the bars than before the fault came on. I know the computer has to relearn all the settings, but it's been two weeks, highway driving stop and go in the city, cold start warm starts. What happened? My guess is the IMA battery will eventually fail, then I will bring the car. I did not want to bring the car to Honda and be told it was a faulty connection and be charged $200. If the PoA7F code was on and was legit, it will come back. That's my thinking.
    to be continued
  • brian2007brian2007 Member Posts: 9
    I've got a 2007 with about 80K. Been having IMA problems for over 2 years, but no IMA light. Main symptom is frequent recals and quickly depleting charge with just a little load.

The danger I find is that if you are trying to accelerate when the IMA decides to do a recal, then the car will hesitate for about a second. It's like it's expecting IMA assist and it takes a second to decide it won't get it. Only then does the gas engine give power. If you are trying to merge into busy traffic when this happens, which is likely if you're just starting out in the morning when you get your morning recal, then you are in a quite hazardous situation.
    That one is new to me. The engine performance should be tied only to the mechanical linkage in the gas pedal, as your 12V battery is in-line to power the spark plugs.

Is it possible that you've got to put your foot into it further to get over the stumble?
    Lots of people asked me here for instructions, but nobody followed through and emailed me. Just click on my ID to send an email.
    I don't think there is a mechanical linkage. That is why the pedal pivots from the bottom. If you mash the pedal to the floor, it will not hesitate, but give the gas engine full power. If you accelerate normally, there will be a hesitation.
    How often is it happening? I had a similar issue. Complained to Honda for nearly a year but they could never reproduce the problem. However it got to where it was calibrating every 8-15 miles. Honda was able to see the issue and agreed that it wasn't acceptable. They kept it 3 days and finally said they were replacing the battery even though it "wasn't" bad yet and didn't believe it would help much. They were wrong!!!! It's like driving a completely different car. So if yours is doing it really often to the point Honda can reproduce I wouldn't hesitate to take it to them and have them keep it a couple of days. Have one of the techs drive it home and stand your ground. I was at 79,000 miles when they replaced mine and wasn't going down without a fight.
    My recals aren't as frequent as you describe. But it will recal if it sits more than a couple of hours and even if I'm driving open highway with a slight headwind. Not uncommon for a recal every 30 mins under those circumstances.

I'm definitely not giving up. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty when I got the car, so I've still got nearly 20K miles before warranty is up.

Thanks for telling everyone about your encouraging results!
    Best offer! It won't pass emissions but still get 42MPG
    Mine was acting as you describe immediately after getting the update. I didn't think it was acceptable then and complained about it but it's considered normal operation. To me more than once a day is unacceptable really more than once a week but they don't see it that way. If you're having several a day, say 8-13, I would be bugging Honda about it. Good luck. BTW I could be wrong about this but generally everything I've heard about extended warranties is that they do not cover the ima battery or "don't really" cover them. Always try to find an excuse not to cover it.
  • bryan772bryan772 Member Posts: 6
    I'm also having troubles with my 2009 Civic Hybrid especially after the "update". Bought the car new ~7/2009 (37 miles) and had nothing but great things to say until receiving a software update in February 2011. I saw solid MPG all over the local Tucson area averaging 47-52 all year, on long drives to Phoenix (about 100 miles of flat 75 mph interstate) I saw 55-60 MPG consistently even on days in the 100's with a full car. Nice quiet ride too once up to speed ~75 or so the CVT smoothly moved the gear ratio to a great spot resulting in RPM that would rest ~1800-2000 just like any good car in overdrive.

After getting this update, identical trips and even trips with just me driving to Phoenix, completely different story. City driving is about the same if only slightly lower at 42 - 47MPG. At speeds past 60 however, very poor MPG. Now on rides to Phoenix the car burns much more gas and feels like a 4 speed.

For example: at 75 MPH the car now remains at 2800-3300 RPM to maintain speed, its almost as if someone took away the overdrive. The trip is louder too. Then the Gas milage drops to 30-38 (from 55-60). I used to be able to drive to and from Phoenix with more than half a tank close to 3/4, now I come back with 1/4 of a tank.

Not only that, since I'm already at 3k RPM if I need to pass the engine goes to Red Line! It never did that before the update and can be quite scary. Speed limits in TX go up to 85 running at over 4000+ RPM just to maintain speed on a flat road. Near the Grand Canyon on a road with a 65 speed limit and slight incline the car stayed near 6000 RPM for about 15 miles which resulted in a reading of 17 MPG (wish I took a picture) for a ~50 mile odometer trip reset. Going uphill in this car now a challenge where the car red lines all the time and at times it just will not go any faster. Did not have these troubles in previous trips on these same roads.

Honda dealer can't undo the update and Honda customer service stated they cannot do anything to help me and 2 complaints fell on deaf ears. This is my 2nd Honda and with incompetence like this coming from them possibly my last. Apparently correcting a CVT gear ratio is rocket science.

Has anyone else noticed this significant change in how the CVT operates at freeway speeds on the Civic Hybrid? Or know of a solution to this problem?
    I think that more than an occasional recal is unacceptable, but several times a day is absolutely unacceptable. When I finally have time to take it back to my dealer (who I think has actually been quite sympathetic and would truly like to resolve the issue) I will stress the hazardous aspect of needing to accelerate when the IMA does a recal. I have been in several situations where I've been pulling into traffic right as the recal starts and the engine will hesitate a second before the gas engine engages. It can be really scary.

As to the extended warranty, they had darn well better cover it or I will go ballistic. My dealer has alluded to it a couple of times, as in "well, you've still got X number of miles before your extended warranty expires," so I'm expecting it to be covered.
  • inmyhumbleopinmyhumbleop Member Posts: 24
    2007 HCH Owner: What Honda is doing with this battery issue is criminal. I mean literally criminal - it is fraud. I'm not a lawyer, but really, what else can you call it. I get recals constantly. There used to be an AutoStop light I saw all the time. A few months ago, I saw it and thought for a second "what's that"? Then I remembered besides by mileage going to hell and the car's responsiveness and ride changing for the worse, before the upgrade the AutoStop light came on maybe 90% of the time I was stopped. Now maybe it's 2%.
    My Honda service manager is a d*k. When I went in to complain in person, he told me "Honda pays the bills". Huh,,,, maybe your bills but not mine. I am part of paying HONDA's bills by buying their cars (this is my third Honda) and having them serviced at Honda.

This is what I have done lately (I've tried to forget the fact I've been robbed but every time I get in my car it makes me remember!) When I called SVC Mgr. months later, he said "It was because I didn't have low-resistant tires". They make 1 to 2.5 mpg difference, possibly 3. Whenever I mentioned the performance of the BATTERY, he completed ignored my question and would sound irritated.

So I decided to do something. Not saying it will help me but you never know and it makes me feel I'm doing "something". And if "we" owners are pissed off enough to convince Honda we're not dummies or woossies, and we're not going to just "go away" and trade our piece of junk in for something that works so that an unsuspecting new person gets our car used...maybe they'll do the right thing to replace our compromised batteries.
    Here's what I started to do:

I printed out the MPG advertised stats for Honda Civic 2007 (real easy to find on Google). The HCH is listed at 42 average. I took a screen shot from Trip B, with 2000 miles on it, that shows 30.3. In between I put a sign that says Lemon, see "Honor Corporation Has No Honor" on FB. It's taped on the rear driver's window of my car.

Next, I started taping the recals and pathetic performance of the battery on my iPhone. It easily fits on the ledge to video this and I don't have to touch it at all when driving. I get recals every 10 minutes or so, whether in city driving or on the freeway.

Next plan: (I have family issues, unemployment, disabled/troubled child).. WHEN I feel I can deal with the time, annoyance (how do I transfer the video to my Mac? got to find this out, etc.) and stress it causes me to even have to be doing this, I will write a letter with DVDs to my nice, sweet service manager thanking him profusely for the info on low resistance tires but how does this affect the performance of the battery. I will also copy in the Southern California address, and Honda America.

BTW I did call Honda America maybe a year ago? They told me the battery was "working as designed". That's their motto. I will ask them to reconfirm this in light of the evidence I have now provided them.

Sorry to be so upset, while misery loves company, in this case it makes me more miserable knowing how many (as in ALL) HCH owners have this issue and Honda is just like "driving habits", "bad tires" and whatever other [non-permissible content removed] they can put out there that might stick.
    Thank you I feel better.
    I know we're not supposed to give each other's e-mail addresses. But if you Like Honda Corporation Has no Honor on FB (not my site - something I found googling this stuff) maybe we can exchange e-mails or privately FB each other in messages so that all this isn't there for the whole world to see.
    Just a thought.
    Again, thanks for letting me vent! And good luck to the above owners - for a 2009 owner to have to go thru this is terrible. Honda for SURE KNEW THE PROBLEM by the 2009 model.
  • ajk6ajk6 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all of you who have posted information on the IMA battery problems. I started experiencing similar issues with my 2009 Civic Hybrid about a month ago and the Honda Dealership Mechanic was useless...took the car in twice and the second time they said "Oh well, you'll probably need to keep driving it. Sometimes things have to get worse to get better". I did some research online, found your postings and used the information to talk with Honda of America about my experience and I just got a call from the Honda Dealership that they'll be replacing my battery...no questions asked, completely covered by my warranty as I only have 22,676 miles on the car. I'm looking forward to having my car back to running order but thinking about ditching it for a Toyota. The latest edition of consumer reports gives its lowest rating to the 2009 Civic Hybrid's electrical system and I'm thinking I'll probably have to sell the car for way less than I would normally expect for resale on a Honda. Oh well...
    I'm wondering if there were mistakes made in implementing the software update. Maybe you could get them to do a re-install or at least verify the update is working correctly. Software controls the CVT ratios. I had the update and a new battery installed on my 2006. It performs as well as ever. My rpm is about 2000 @ 70mph on a flat road. I have noticed that I get my best mileage by keeping the engine speed below 2000 rpm as much as possible.
  • inmyhumbleopinmyhumbleop Member Posts: 24
    @bossless, I think the key to the good performance you get is the "new battery". That's the only thing that will return our cars to good, "hybrid"-like, working order. How did you get a new battery? Who did you send a letter to? (
    Sorry if it's already posted somewhere above this huge thread)
    edited November 2011
    I have put one transmission in that was covered by warranty and now after another 100000 miles I need another one. Plus all My engine mounts are bad. Makes the little 1400 rock and roll
    Patric :sick: