Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    here's another review of the 2002 CR-V....almost all positive:

http://autonet.ca/DriverSource/Stories.cfm?StoryID=3728

on a humorous note: maybe Honda could issue a recall for "that 70's show" beige upholstery and replace it with something a little more tasteful!

• regularguyregularguy Member Posts: 29
    I'm really up in the air on this one. I have driven manual shift cars for quite some time, but I'm considering an automatic for the first time. I test-drove the Toyota Highlander, which of course is ONLY automatic. Also, an automatic is a much easier re-sale.

Went to the Honda dealer this weekend to test drive the CR-V, but they were totally sold out. Bummer!

Anybody have thoughts about the relative merits of the two transmissions? Though I'm a little hesitant to buy a 4-cylinder with auto, the reviews I've seen suggest it's fine. Another issue is that there's no armrest with the stick! Any problems with adding an after-market armrest? I use the console armrest in my Accord all the time, and it'll seem weird to not have one.

- Bill
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    I consider myself pretty much an Anti SUV person. The 2002 CRV seems like a wonderful vehicle. If I was forced to drive a Mini-SUV, the 2002 CRV would be my vehicle of choice. I'd take a 4WD EX model with a 5 speed. I'm glad HONDA is not offering a V6. I would like to see more power though. But I haven't driven the car yet so all I can do is spec ulate. I'm not sure I like all the plastic body cladding. Congratulations to all 02 CRV owners! You've made a great purchase!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• alex17alex17 Member Posts: 35
    No Problem. I hope you got a referral bonus.

I'm getting a Chianti Red EX Auto.

Do you have any idea how much aftermarket leather would run on the CR-V?
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    It is difficult to get more than 170HP out of a non-turbo I-4.
    You start to run into all kinds of noise and vibration issues.

A smaller V-6 (say 2.6 to 2.8 litre)with about 180hp would probably be ideal for the CRV.

A better 4x4 system silmilar to the Subaru's would also go a long ways to making the CRV a little more useful.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I have a strange brake problem with my 99 CRV with 49000 miles. When applying the brake for the first time going forward or reverse, I'll hear a loud click in the front end. Continuing in the same direction and applying the brake again, there is no click sound, things are good. Reversing direction and then applying the brake the first time in that direction and I'll hear the click. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is there a Honda message board that has mechanics that monitor it?
    Honda has a 2.7 Liter 170 Horsepower V6 laying around in its parts pin from the old acura legend & 95-97 Accord V6. Its only 10 more Horsepower, but it would be smoother. I'm sure that'd be good. I'm sure the Subaru AWD system is better for cornering.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    A larger block will have difficulty fitting in the tiny engine bay of the global platform (Civic). Any older Honda engine will spin in the wrong direction. Any older engine will have trouble meeting mpg and emissions regulations coming down the pike.

A full-time AWD system would not make a difference to 90% of the buyers out there. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see improvements. But the unwashed masses probably don't know the difference. A full-time system also provides more places for friction losses and drain on the engine due to the powertrain hardware. This is part of the reason why the CR-V and the Subaru get about the same mpg average despite the Forester being significantly lighter and more aerodynamic.
    The new auto is pretty smooth. It downshifts easily and does not buck on up shifts. However, I'd still go with the 5 speed. The low first gear comes in handy from time to time and acceleration is impressive. The manual gearbox in the current CR-V is pretty good, and though I haven't tested one, Honda is supposed to have improved the action in the '02. Also, it isn't geared quite as low at the top, so highway noise shouldn't be as big a deal.
    Thanks varmit.

Any thoughts about the armrest situation? (I suppose I would quickly get used to it not being there, but perhaps not.)
  • magickman42magickman42 Member Posts: 4
    thanks for showing me that other board... i agree with you folks.....salesman have deserved the reputation they have gotten, but not all salespeople are alike. i have been selling hondas for three years and when i first started in the business i was embarassed to tell people what i did for a living. i have questions which i would like to ask the forum but dont want to take up to much space right now. they deal with the relationship-hopefully positive-between salesperson and consumer. talk to you guys soon.
    thanks.
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Well, I'm picking up my green LX tomorrow. The dealer has assured me the seatbelt situation will be resolved, they got the parts from Honda today. As I mentioned in a previous posts, I managed to get them to throw in keyless entry. Today the dealer told me that keyless entry won't be available for a couple of weeks. I trust this dealer, but that just seems strange to me, especially when handa acessories has it available already. Anyone else have this problem....
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    I just got a voicemail from a locat dealer and was told the parts for the seat belt are in and the CR-Vs are available for test drive. But does anyone has details on what actually the seat belt problem is?
    Regularguy - I can't speak for the armrest. I don't have one on my '99, but I'm one of those people who doesn't see the need for it. JJ Products makes a driver's side armrest for the current model CR-V. Dunno if they'll do the same for the 2nd gen CR-Vs.
    GET IT IN WRITING! That's my only piece of advice to you!

• scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Just wondering how's demand for the new V. Are you still getting MSRP for the cars, how long is the waiting list ?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Regularguy:
    '02 CRV (manual) has a very short first gear, the fifth is very short too. So, the vehicle is geared well for the five speeds (except that the engine will rev higher while cruising, hence lower highway gas mileage). Automatic transmission is decent too. MT's truck of the year comparo had CRV with automatic transmission, and it did a good job (atleast as far as 0-60 is concerned, they got 8.9s). Either way, it looks like Honda has geared the new V well. Now it just depends on what you want!

Nyccarguy:
    Actually, Honda makes a 2.5-liter V6 pumping out 200 HP (and 178 lb.-ft) to go with the 3.2 liter V6 of the TL in Japan. But as Varmit pointed out, the '02 CRV uses a new generation of engines, that all Hondas in the near future will use. Still, I can see that Honda would be able to squeeze in 190 HP or so from the engine without having to move the redline on the engine.
    Still, I can see that Honda would be able to squeeze in 190 HP or so from the engine without having to move the redline on the engine.

Do you mean the 2.4 engine? How do you think they could do this without raising the redline? It would have to generate more torque to accomplish such a feat. Less restrictive breathing might gain a few hp, but you run the risk of making it very loud.
  • deblin2deblin2 Member Posts: 2
    I've checked with 4 dealerships around the Toledo, Ohio area and not one will go below the MSRP. Now come on!!! I'm an owner of an Odyssey and I did pay sticker because it was a '99 and only 60,000 were made the first year but not the CR-V. We all know that more than 60,000 will be made so what's up with these dealers.. Anyone know of a dealer that will say take 19,500 for it.. I cannot seem to find the invoice price anyhow, does anyone have a web page for this..
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    You sound like a nice guy. When will Honda Dealers start selling the new 2002 CRV's at cost or near cost?
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    Don't give in to the Honda dealers MSRP!!! Wait the production of 02 CRV is going to be 140,000-170,000 units. Plus the zero financing is hurting Honda sales. Here is what I am wiling to pay.
    $22,300.00 x 91.37819 = $20,377.00 + Destination and Handling add $440 + $183.00 (over invoice) = $21,000.00 + $1,260.00 (New Jersey State Sales Tax) =$22,260.00 !!!!!OUT THE DOOR!!!!! that is for A 2002 CRV EX Automatic. And not a penny more.
    The dealer gets 2% of the List price from Honda Corp.(HOLD BACK).
  • kelrhyskelrhys Member Posts: 10
    I thought that the LX model came with keyless entry as a standard feature? According to Edmunds Standard Equipment list (for a 4WD with Automatic) under Power Features it has "remote power door locks" which is exactly the same wording as under the EX model Power Features.

Rebecca
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    www.motortrend.com has an article that's available online. It's on the right hand side (under Healines), and all the way at the bottom.

The article is from Nov. 13, so check it before they update the site.

"Pricing for the 2002 CR-V LX (2WD) with an automatic transmission starts at $18,800 -- just $50, or 0.3 percent, more than the 2001 CR-V LX (2WD). The CR-V LX (4WD) starts at $19,200. The feature-packed CR-V EX (standard 4WD) starts at $21,500 -- just 3.3 percent more compared to the 2001 model -- which now includes new features such as rear disc brakes and a moonroof. Side airbags (standard on EX) add $250 to the price of an LX."
    http://www.honda2001.com/models/cr-v/msrp.html

I couldn't link the MotorTrend article.

• deblin2deblin2 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the link however still looking for the invoice to be posted. That is what I go off of myself because we all know that sales could even sell a automobile under invoice given holdback issues..
    Looks like you gotta wait for Edmunds or another source to post invoice.

I doubt Honda would do so on its own with the new release.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I believe the "remote" in "remote power locks" refers to the fact that a switch on the driver's door will lock or unlock all the doors -- the driver doesn't have to reach over to the other doors. According to the 2002 CR-V brochure from Honda, keyless is once again "accessory" on LX, and standard on EX. I wonder if Honda did the same thing they did with the first-gen CR-Vs, which was to embed the receiver in every vehicle so that adding keyless to the LX only meant buying and programming remotes? Anyone know?
    Deblin - Invoice pricing is not really a hard number that the manufacturer publishes. Most of the time, the sales people don't even know exactly what it is. Sites like Edmunds and others that post the "invoice" do so by calculating the number based on a large volume of sales. It's an estimate. The CR-V hasn't been on sale long enough to make a good "guess".
    Vince - Come with me on my next test drive. I'll bring a tool kit. You distract the salesperson while I'll dismantle the door. =)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Vince - Come with me on my next test drive. I'll bring a tool kit. You distract the salesperson while I'll dismantle the door. =)

Edmunds cannot condone illegal activity! ;-0

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Invoice Pricing:
    Best guess on invoice is to divide the MSRP by 1.1. So, for an MSRP of $22,300, my guess would be an invoice of about $20,300.

Varmit - Yes, with 2.4 liters, without raising the redline, it would be possible to get 190 HP (that would be another 80-81 HP per liter engine from Honda, typically getting that number in low 6000 rpms). In fact, Honda has a 2.3 liter DOHC VTEC in Japan (Accord wagon) that gets 200 HP at 6750 rpm. Dual stage intake can be used to achieve it, as it is done in RSX (base) and CL/TL Type-S engines (as well as the 2.5 liter V6 which is the predecessor to the Acura 3.2/V6 Type-S engine). The same concept is used in the new Odyssey and the MDX engines. The idea would be to have the engine develop more torque past 5500 rpm than it does in the CRV.
  • punxypunxy Member Posts: 3
    I made three phone calls and found two dealers in philadelphia willing to deal on a 2002 CRV--one wanted $300 under MSRP and another would go $500. What do you think??
    Unless they put it in writing and it's notarized, I wouldn't surprised if they went back on their words.
  • greenroomgreenroom Member Posts: 1
    Just came back from dealership here in Seattle. They wouldn't budge from $500 over msrp on an lx auto 4wd. base here is 20,000 + 440 dest., plus the 500 extra they want = 20,940 + 1,714.97(tax/lic) = 22,654.17 grand total
    I walked out.
    What do you think...should I go back and sign the dotted line?
  • dmpfromridmpfromri Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone - I am new to this message board, and a new Honda 2002 CRV owner. I joined this board to WARN EVERYONE and pass on my frustrating story about my recent purchase. I bought my new 2002 CRV on Friday, Nov 9. The dealer I purchased from is Heritage Honda in Towson, MD. Transaction was fine - no problems. Here's where the fun and frustration starts: the dealer calls on Wed, Nov 14, informing me that the car needed to be brought back to the dealer due to a RECALL on the front seat belts. Apparently, they will NOT hold you in during a front impact. This dealer TOWS my car, leaves me with a 1-800 number for Enterprise. They tow my car from where I work in RESTON, VA (70 miles away) as they didn't want me to drive the car. The dealer doesn't follow up to see if I got a rental (there were none available) - they tow the car WITHOOUT any assurance that I had a way to get home. This story gets uglier and I won't bore everyone with more details, but....here it is, Tuesday, Nov 20 and I STILL DON'T HAVE MY CAR BACK!

I personally think Honda scrrewed up royally here - has ANYONE else out there bought a 2002 CRV and had this kind of trouble getting the car fixed and back into their hands??? I feel that they owe me big time - heck, my first payment is coming up and they have had the car longer than I have! I am a FIRST TIME HONDA owner - and this has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Replies welcome! My email address is dmpfromri@yahoo.com.

Thanks everyone - sorry to ramble on.....but but I wanted to pass this info along, as it doesn't seem to be public knowledge.....yet!

Signed - a frustrated Honda customer
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    you can always install the OEM arm rest on the 5spd CR-V. they make them for the left side, because in japan and other parts of the world the passenger is on the left.

question to people that know -- if honda can't use the old engines in the new cars, which V6 are they selling to GM? also, i saw a commmercial for some GM vehicle and they mentioned "the new V6" in one fo the cars, malibu i think, is that honda V6?
  • crviccrvic Member Posts: 37
    I've been reading this thread for a while and it can get interesting. Anyhow I drove the '98 V for 3 years and absolutely loved it. Was anticipating the '02 release for a long time...first impression was bad, but the recall helped 'cause I kept going to the dealership and I liked the V a little more each time I went back.I guess it grows on ya.

Last night I picked out the EX automatic eternal blue and will take delivery tonight! It was the first time I drove one and absolutely loved it. I had money down for the red one, but the interior color was just plain homely.

Anyhow, I paid MSRP - $200 and got 11,500 on the trade (98 EX 54K). Financing 5.5%/48 months. How do you think I did? I guess I'm alright.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    The seatbelt recall news is making the rounds in the online community (that follows this stuff). My understanding is that some new owners have already gotten the replacement parts installed. Naturally, this is a headache for all parties involved -- but yeah, it sounds like the way your dealership handled this was poor. (Geoleomax's dealer -- see post 3728 -- appears to deserve kudos for making the best of a difficult situation.)

to varmit: While we're at it, we should probably slap a couple of stickers on the demo vehicle. Oh, and when the salesperson wises up to what we're up to, s/he'll probably try to tell us that we're wasting our time -- it's built into the radio! :-P
    This griping about how outrageous it is for dealers to demand full MSRP made me grin. Hasn't anyone heard of supply and demand? Some of you folks get the idea that you have a constitutional right to a discount off the list price when you buy a car, no matter what the demand for it is. Since when? It isn't that way with any other product. It's certainly nice that some dealers are selling for a couple hundred less than MSRP, even when they have a waiting list, but you shouldn't EXPECT that.

I have no great love for car dealers, but no bitter hatred either. The dealer takes a hit when a model doesn't sell, so it's only fair that they charge full price when people are lining up. If you don't like it, either wait a while for the demand to die down (or supply to go up) or get a different model. (I wonder how much below invoice the Aztek is selling for?)

BTW what's this about "Invoice pricing is not really a hard number that the manufacturer publishes"? They don't publish it to the public, but they certainly give it to the dealers. Last time I bought a car, the dealer checked my Edmunds invoice numbers against the print-out back in their office. They showed me the printout and the numbers matched. Unless the term "invoice" has somehow lost its plain meaning, it very definitely IS a hard number.

- Bill
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Given current market conditions it sounds as though you made a fine deal. The real question is, are you happy with the deal you made?
  • crviccrvic Member Posts: 37
    Yes, I'm very happy. I had my own excell worksheet with different scenarios. Actually I got more than I thought I would.
    The objective part of the deal feels right, I think I paid a fair price for the car, you can put that in numbers. The subjective part of the deal feels even better...I get total satisfaction and piece of mind of owning a brand spanking new car and the first batch of it....I like new cars, besides, when people turn their heads to see it...that's priceless...
  • salesman1salesman1 Member Posts: 1
    If you can find a dealer to sell at msrp, jump on it. This vehicle is selling above msrp and will continue for a while. Save your valuable time shopping for the under msrp dealer. If you find one, it's a long wait
  • SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    You're right on the mark. It makes me chuckle as well to see people "demanding" a price in the vicinity of invoice for a popular brand new model.

When the first-generation CR-V came out, you couldn't touch one for under MSRP for months (I know, I tried ;p ). The Odyssey is STILL selling around MSRP, and what has it been, two years since it came out?

The new CR-V will eventually be available at lower prices, but let's face it, if you want it now, you're gonna have to pay up...
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Real deals. If you are patient type and like a no hassle and a no drama deal and are willing to wait for an allocation of CRV’s and to travel to Oklahoma then by all means check out Mark Roberts Motors @ www.autoinvoice.com. The 02 CRV EX auto is sold for exactly $21,356 plus $49 doc fee (as shown on the WEB site) to everyone but you do have to put down $500 via credit card once they get an allocation for a specific vehicle. If this makes you nervous, then forget this method. My salesman was
    John Page @ 1-800-375-LESS.
    INKY
    Pricing, you can either pay or wait. I would wait. If you find a dealer selling for below MSRP, then you have a good start. See if they are adding on additional costs, though.

Slugline - LOL. Maybe we should give Uncle George a call and get some of those "other stickers". How confused would that leave the salestaff. =)
    anyone else wonder why modern automatics are now outdoing their 5 speed siblings? My turbo Jetta 5 speed runs about 3400 rpm on the interstate at 75 mph. I little high and buzzy. CRV has similiar ratios. I think what is needed is a 6th gear for overdrive.
    for those who want instant performance they can stay in 5th. It is ironic to get better mileage in an automatic. I would be willing to pay $200-300 more for the 6th gear.
    INKY
    http://www.ahmotor.com/cr-vpromo.html

No tax (yet) thanks uncle Sam.

INKY

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I know that the stickers of some new vehicles show better mileage with the auto trans than with the stick.
    I wonder if you get better mileage with the auto trans in the real world, with the average person driving it, or if it just 'tests well' with the EPA system.
  • todd48todd48 Member Posts: 22
    greenroom-

If you want to drive to the Dalles, here in OR, Connie Ford at www.autocost.com will sell you one for $800 over invoice. They have an 800 number listed on thier site and her email is connieford@autocost.com. Please tell her that Todd referred you.
    Based on my experience and what I've read here and in other forums, the first gen 5 speed CR-V does get better mpg than its automatic counterpart. It's not a big difference, but those of us with 5 speeds have been getting about 23-27 mpg rather than the predicted 22-25. I expect that the lighter weight and fewer friction losses account for a good part of it. One would expect the gearing (higher revving) to counteract that difference, but it doesn't appear to have a great enough effect.

The more powerful engine in the '02 allowed Honda to relax the gearing a bit in both trannies. Both have been refined a bit, but more weight has been added to the auto model than the 5 speed. I wouldn't be surprized if we find that the 5 speed is more effient once again.