Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Congestion Pricing - Are you for or against it?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
It seems that New York City's mayor is very keen on the idea of using "congestion pricing" to alleviate traffic snarls and pollution in the Big Apple.

READ IT HERE

Would such a plan in your city change your habits or would you just grit your teeth and fork over the $$$? Do you resent such interference and taxation or do you find it "fair enough" and a reasonable solution to a growing problem?

MrShiftright
Visiting Host
Tagged:

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It seems to be working in parts of London where, like NY, there's a good public transportation system in place. Driving in Manhattan is fun, once.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    From an economist's pov, it's a perfect solution to the all too-frequent problem known as "the tradegy of the commons", as well as a great example of the Coase theorem in action.

It's not appropriate for all areas obviously (those w/o decent public transportation esp.), but for major urban zones, it's a great idea.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes it might serve to penalize those who can't afford it IF they live in an area with poor public transportation. In San Francisco for instance, the BART system is very efficient but "doesn't go where you need to be"....it is designed strictly to transport workers into the financial district. The MUNI bus system is pretty bad in San Fran. So for someone commuting to a job in San Francisco other than in the narrow BART corridor, you're screwed.

Of course, Los Angeles public transportation is pathetic.

In New York City however, I could see where the lower income driver would find public transportation a reasonable alternative and very workable.
    And add to the complexity that if it *does* work, governments need to take the impact of the subsitution toward public transportation into account...otherwise, the congestion on the buses, rails, etc. gets as bad as it was on the roads. :(

We're nearing that where I live, in Washington, D.C.
  • tpetpe Member Posts: 2,342
    I think it's a great idea, primarily because it's been proven to be effective. However I will be very surprised if it gets implemented. It will face the same objections that higher fuel taxes face. The claim will be that it represents a regressive tax on the poor and now only the rich can afford to drive in Manhattan. So we're left with this paralysis when it comes to addressing problems. The solution must be completely fair, which is impossible.
    You could look at it as a way to torture the rich. I'm not sure driving in Manhattan is a privilege...it's just a bad habit IMO.

It strikes me as similar to the premium you pay to fly First Class on American Airlines...you are still screwed but you have a nicer seat and real knives and forks. Whoopie.

It's not like the well to do are being chauffered to Manhattan in limos or anything.
    And the detractors have to remember that the goal here is lessening congestion overall, not changing who's causing it.

If lower-income drivers don't have to pay for instance, that'll mean the streets will still be gridlocked, just with second-hand Toyotas instead of new BMWs. Is that really any better for anyone?

There's likely a way to give poorer drivers who genuinely need to drive (like those under a certain income level commuting from Manhattan to a job in a 'burb) a break w/o screwing unduly with the incentives of the system.
    The perception will be that this $8 or $21 fee will be inconsequential to the rich. They have now effectively eliminated the riff-raff from their streets so it is more convenient for them to get around.

That's not the way I see it. If it's effective then the people removed from the streets will be the less affluent, meaning they aren't being taxed at all. If in return they are provided with better public transportation then this will have been paid for by the more affluent. Hard to call that regressive.

I do believe that driving will soon be perceived as more of a luxury than it is today. That's the way it started out. In fact I believe that the high fuel taxes paid in Europe were original considered a luxury tax because only rich people could afford cars.
    Residents could be given an exemption or charged a partial fee.

Seems like the streets around Central Park are jammed with taxis and a few limos. I suppose you can get some work done in a limo, and you'll certainly have ample opportunity to bill some hours with the gridlock that you see there.
    Certainly if I were a Manhattan resident or frequent commuter, I'd trade a few bucks for cleaner air and a slightly more humane environment and I wouldn't mind kicking in some bucks for better public transport. These things may not matter to those twenty-somethings living 6 to an apartment and partying hard, or to tourists in for a few days to spend/shop, but for the average Manhattan wage slave anything that improves quality of life has got to be worth paying for.

PS: I lived in Manhattan 33 years, so this topic interests me.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    This only works if the city in question has a vibrant downtown with a strong core of work, shopping and entertainment opportunities that attracts people who live outside the city limits.

There is always the risk that people living outside the city will simply stay out of the city altogether to avoid paying the congestion charge, thus depriving the city of any revenues, not to mention the salutary effect that full streets and regular actvity have on crime rates

In other words, New York City, Washington, D.C., San Francisco and Chicago can try this.

I would suggest that Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Dallas, Phoenix, Baltimore and Houston think twice, lest they wreck their downtowns.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I got great Mexican food on every corner in the Suburbs. The only reason I can think of to go downtown is if I am on jury duty. Then I would take the Trolley. Cities are horrible places to be. Charge $30 bucks a day so NYC can be better than London. Then a head tax for Oxygen would be good. If you exhale there will be a carbon tax assessed.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's already been done in London - in place for several years:
    http://www.cclondon.com/

If the cameras catch you in violation and you pay the fine within 14 days, it's reduced to ~$100 from ~$200 (USD). Ouch.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    That tax would likely reduce my number of times in Manhattan to zero. I have no interest in paying that kind of money for the "privilege."

I can't even imagine how they deal with people who live there.

Bloomberg was making the rounds yesterday, telling folks up in Harlem that they should support this because it will make the air better and reduce their asthma rate which is horrible. Only trouble is that the folks he was talking to figured (correctly) that since they weren't in the target area they would get MORE cars and worse air.

This is just more of government think that midtown Manhattan IS New York and taht the rest of the population should just go away. I've watched it all my life.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    strikes me as similar to the premium you pay to fly First Class on American Airlines...you are still screwed but you have a nicer seat and real knives and forks. Whoopie.

I don't think the TSA lets you have real knifes anymore.

On topic...

I am really torn about this and not sure what my feelings are. I will need to think about it.
    Really? I can pay $2,100 for a first class ticket and get plastic knives TOO?!!

Manhattan: re fezo's comment....won't be the first time people have accused Manhattan's government of "economic apartheid". Maybe it's true that the "real" New York is now in Brooklyn? And maybe congestion pricing programs like this will insure that that becomes true?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    They went back to real knives in First Class on Alaska Airlines. Try cutting a tough steak with a plastic knife. I broke one and it flew over my shoulder luckily the guy behind was asleep and it missed him.
    Actually if the result of such a thing were a revival of Brooklyn that would be a very good thing indeed.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I have no interest in paying that kind of money for the "privilege."

I don't think that it has anything to do with privilege. It's all about the value an individual assigns to open roads as opposed to congested ones. In a capitalist society we pay for things that we perceive to have value. My job used to require me to frequently drive on the DC beltway at near rush hour. If you've never done this it involves going about 50 yards at a time for sometimes up to an hour. I'd find myself thinking, what if I could throw some money out the window and magically 25% of these cars would disappear. How much would I be willing to throw? The amount varied by my frustration/stress level on a given day but it was always more than $8. I ended up quitting that job because the commute was just too painful.

Is this an elitist attitude? I don't think so. After all there are plenty of things that poor people can't afford to do. There are already poor people that can't afford to drive. We're just talking about shifting the dividing line. Road space turns out to be a limited resource in some areas and in a capitalist society typically the best way to allocate these resources is by price. I do think that in return the government should offer more and better options for the public to still remain mobile. And I have no problem doing my share to pay for these options. I'd rather pay in dollars than in wasted time spent in congestion.
    is attempt, in a rough way, to bring the cost we pay to drive more in line with the actual cost of our driving.

There's nothing intrinsically unfair about that, no more than that BMWs cost more than Toyotas.

The argument can reasonably be made that as a society we should do something to help more people buy BMWs, but no serious person suggests that BMW pricing is unfair.
    Good point. And to those people that oppose government meddling, how about this? Let's take the complete opposite approach and turn our roadways over to the private sector. How much would they charge to drive the streets of Manhattan?

I'm not opposed to government programs. I'd like to see people have food, shelter, clothing, education, health care and maybe a few other things. Driving the streets of Manhattan is not going to make my list of entitlements. In fact owning and driving a vehicle wont make the list either. So if the price of driving starts getting too expensive my suggestion is either stop driving or get a better job.
    Turning public roads into private enterprise is just around the corner. That's what it looks like is going to happen to the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike. Rather than a sale, which was the original idea, it would be a long term lease with the expectation of significantly higher tolls.

That one affects me much more than the Manhattan idea, especially since the part of NJ that I live in has few alternate routes.

This all strikes me as a slippery slope.

I will say that I've seen a privately owned bridge that worked just fine down in Florida. Out in teh panhandle there's an island that just had ferry service. The folks wanted a bridge in the worst way but teh state kept turning them down. They finally formed their own bridge authority, floated bonds and built the bridge. The state liked it so much they wanted to buy it but were turned down by the authority.

Truth be told if the Manhattan plan goes through I'd likely not change my habits. I don't go often enough to make it a significant expense - and Philly will still be free.... Oh, and the toll you pay to get into NYC would be counted towards the mid-town fee.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    It might work in places like NYC that have an excellent public transit system. However, if you live in Philadelphia with a poor system like SEPTA, you're screwed. My second job requires reliable transportation - that definately does not mean SEPTA.
    I think the public transportation system in America is a disgrace.
    To be fair, there hasn't been an incentive for it to be good. Cheap gas, high incomes and one huge country have historically seen to that.

It will be interesting to see how much of a positive effect ("externality") that congestion pricing will have on public transportation in the areas where it's implemented.

The London Underground is already a great system (though at 6 bucks a one-way ticket, it oughta be...), but I'd bet that the congestion pricing helped it be better.
    I think the public transportation system in America is a disgrace

I blame the road and highway builders lobby and AAA.
    Well it might have helped if General Motors didn't buy up the Los Angeles intercity rail system, tear up the tracks, and dump the rail cars into the ocean. Yeah, it's true, it really happened.

But they did sell Los Angeles some buses!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This "lane leasing" idea is also in effect in Britain. The one thing that it has done is produce really well-maintained roadways. In general, I feel that most tasks that government performs, private industry could do better & cheaper.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

They will be hard pressed to improve on the Garden State Parkway. Considering the volume of traffic it sees the condition is amazing.

The turnpike on the other hand could probably be contracted to a kindergarten class and not run any worse.

If they are going to lease these things out I;d like to see some accountability built in. Without it these are just an invitation to print money.

I agree that public transit is mostly an abomination and for the reasons mentioned - high paying lobbyists to keep it at bay, lack of public will, cheap and plentiful gasoline... Most of us would take our won car anywhere rather than use mass transit.
  • arm51arm51 Member Posts: 4
    Congestion Charging is an interesting beast. I can understand how you would want to charge more or less depending on the fuel economy\size\CO2 emissions of the vehicle, but there is a point where it won't affect the amount of people bringing in high emissions cars into a congestion zone. If we look at London, one of the main reasons that Congestion Charging has worked is because of the Tube (as has been stated earlier). However, in London I believe that if you register your vehicle as a minicab, you don't have to pay the Congestion Charge. I may be wrong on this, but that is what I have heard. Also, the current push by Red Ken to increase the charge by up to £25 is ridiculous. Porsche has already stated that they would like a judicial review of the pricing proposal.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Quadruple the fines for being ticketed during the congestion periods. :(
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Just could be the next cause of flight from the cities. Maybe living in a State that epitomized urban flight I might be tainted. Because at one time traffic in the city made it too hard to find parking so all the business started moving to malls and industrial parks. It seemed as if there was some movement back to the cities in the last few years. But if people are going to have to pay higher fees just to enter the cities why bother? Years ago I passed up a promotion working for Xerox because I would have to transfer to Santa Monica. Parking would have been a pain and housing was higher than the rest of the surrounding area.

Unless you have a reasonable public transportation like London you are punishing the working person.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    As someone who lives in NYC, and lived in Manhattan for several years.... and owned/parked a car there!, this whole thing is multi-faceted. When I was paying $300 each month to park I kinda sucked it up... I could have done what friends did, and parked the car 30 minutes away, in a lot in Brooklyn or above 96th street and cut that in half, however convenience, my inability to manage a real schedule, and a demanding job made the lot in the basement of my apartment building "worth it."

Now I live on Staten Island, and have no choice but a toll bridge if I want to drive off the island - was my choice to move to SI, got more room, diff QOL, etc, so it was "worth it."

In theory, I understand cong pricing... in fairness, what I do for a living means I spend a ton of time in places other than midtown, and to be blunt, when I go in I have the option of billing it all as expenses. I see this costing the city: many of the folks who drive in are your middle/upper management driving in from LI, Westchester, and NJ. They are not going to stop driving in. They might stop buying lunch, they might choose to telecommute more often. They might choose to work from the satellite office. So they will be choosing not to spend time/money in the city.

What I hope is that measures like this drive more companies to understand that a centralized workforce, built around the "9-5" schedule is obsolete and counterproductive. The infrastructure exists for remote access to networks, decentralized (and productive) workers, less congestion, AND cleaner air.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    Mike Bloomberg's grand plan to get his billionaire hand into the pockets of hard working men and women went down in flames today as the NYS legislature refused to even vote on the measure. The plan is now considered DOA for the time being.

Perhaps if the crooked pols who run New York State and NYC would stop stealing our money to pay for their hookers and to put their girl/boyfriends on the state payroll there would be money for improved mass transit. As it stands, every time there is a need for funding these bozos come up with a new fee (tax). Bloomberg can fly to work in his own helicopter so why should he care if we go broke getting to work.

:cry:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    And New York's loss is (possibly) Colorado's gain.

Now that New York state won't be getting the $350 million from the federal government, the feds are now looking at alternative projects that could use the funding.

One of these projects is the widening of the Boulder Turnpike (aka US 36) from Boulder to the Denver suburbs. Possible uses include adding lanes (only 2 each way at the moment) or a dedicated car pool / HOV lane.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they recently floated the very interesting proposal to initiate a congestion charge on one approach to the City (the one leading from the Golden Gate Bridge) in order to pay for its repair. Since it is a state highway (highway 101) it seemed outrageous to introduce a special fee to repair it, and so far it is bogged down over this issue.

To me, the more pertinent issue is how can it be a congestion charge if it doesn't penalize everyone entering a certain area? Under the proposal, entering SF from the east bay would not have incurred the charge, so the fee targeted the people in the bedroom communities north of the bridge.

How does the NY proposal work? Is it similar to London, where a circle is drawn around downtown on the map and everyone inside it has to pay?

In principle, I am FOR that type of charge in the few places mentioned previously that have (a) a huge downtown congestion problem; and (b) very effective public transit. From what I know of the U.S., I could count the cities that qualify on one hand: NY, Boston (I base this one on third-party info), Chicago, SF, and....???? Someone mentioned DC?

Also, has anyone studied what traffic and parking are like just outside the boundary of the congestion zone? Do lots of people drive as far as they can drive and then hit the transit only once it would cost them to drive any further downtown? If so, that stinks for the residents and businesses around there, doesn't it?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The New York idea struck me as nuts. It was kind of like the London plan except rather than a circle they just drew a line across and said if you're below this line it's $8. Funny thing - the crossings from New Jersey, with the exception of the George Washington Bridge, all are south of the line so that the moment you hit the city you've been nailed. This would effectively end any voluntary visits to the city for me.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes, but at least they defined an area. The SF proposal only defines a road that will carry the charge.

Even if they manage to get the idea to fly in its current form, which is highly unlikely, they won't succeed in their goal because people will just cross two bridges to reach the City, thereby bypassing the surcharge (and still saving money, even though they have to pay two bridge tolls). They need to delineate an area which represents the toll zone, regardless of which direction you enter it from.

And they are chasing those same federal funds here with this cockamamey plan that it sounds like they are in NY.

And of course, the folks that would be impacted by the fee in its current form are the only ones NOT living in a part of the bay with train access to downtown. Brilliant. There is ferry service, so maybe they see that as an acceptable substitute.

And folks who actually live in SF will never have to pay the fee. I believe with the London plan even city residents that live outside the zone pay the fee if they enter the zone.

One final note: in SF we have already made the parking so limited and so expensive that most workday commuters ALREADY use the trains and buses. That might be a better approach to reducing congestion than this charge, which makes things difficult for tourists and the like. Tourism is an important component of the economy in San Francisco.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    "...And New York's loss is (possibly) Colorado's gain..."

Wrong! If the whole congestion pricing scam was just chasing federal dollars we all lose. Where does federal funding come from? Our pockets! It's just a different pocket they are stealing it from. I am just amazed that people still think that there is free government money. :cry:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    One final note: in SF we have already made the parking so limited and so expensive that most workday commuters ALREADY use the trains and buses. That might be a better approach to reducing congestion than this charge, which makes things difficult for tourists and the like.

Agree. When there is enough congestion, the price of gas is high-enough, and the private sector prices parking based on congestion factors, you have sufficient factors to deter more people from entering an area in cars.

Government and its added costs are not needed. I think congestion is just another issue that government thinks they need to intervene in, and a method to increase their revenues and find jobs for their cronies.

Personally I already avoid going into Boston due to the traffic and expenses. Why would we want the government in our wallets again? That is masochistic.
    “Any balanced analysis will surely prove that the taxpayer actually pays, for every person who chooses to drive to and from work in his own car, an indirect subsidy at least 10 times as great as the indirect subsidy now paid the mass-transit rider.”

The Man Who Could Unsnarl Manhattan Traffic (Wired)
    That is *very* interesting but also a bit chilling in that we have all seen what sometimes happens when you take an Excel spreadsheet and apply it to real life.

There is a kind of "emergent intelligence" to big city life that I don't think can be captured by statistical analysis. "it" works out its best solutions.
    How many people does the NYC mass transit system move each day? How many people personally drive within or thru NYC? One more question - what would it could cost today to build and staff the NYC mass-transit system?

OK take those numbers now and figure out how much it would cost to provide everyone in NYC public transportation. Would that number be $100B, to get mass transit up to the task in NYC? Plus $10B/year to run it?

What happens to the NYC transit system when the 1st terrorist bomb goes off in it? It seems just a matter of time. The system is crippled, and the added security would make the screening of that many additional people impossible.
    There is no sure defense against terrorism. That's why they call it "terrorism".
    Right. My point there is mass transit is a centralized system, and as such is susceptible to terrorist attack - all your eggs in 1-basket analogies ... Privately owned and controlled vehicles do not have that issue.

I believe the government should separate the funding for roads, highways and bridges from mass transit, and allow each system to pay for itself. Then each system can pay its true costs to operate. I know here in NH we are paying quite a bit in gas-taxes, some of which goes for mass transit, and we may have a handful of buses operating in a few towns. So our gas tax money is going to support mass transit users in cities like Boston and NYC. But then again the state of Mass. should be reimbursing the fed. government for most of the cost overruns of the Big Dig.
    Ah but then the oil companies should be made to pay for all the environmental costs associated with the selling of their product. That would probably drive up the price of gas to its true value in the USA, and by doing so, encourage mass transit development. This certainly seems to have happened in Europe, where mass transit is superb.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Do European fuel prices really have to do with the "costs" of oil, or simply as a way to subsidize the fantastic public transit network?

That thought being said, gas would have to cost 4x as much here as in Europe to get anything like the transit networks they have, as residential development has been so thoughtlessly distant from commerce for so many decades.
    edited May 2010
    I really don't know. That's a good question. All I know is that Europeans pay higher taxes and get a lot for them. I seem to pay quite a bit of tax and wonder where it all went. My mass transit STINKS and my libraries are closing up and we don't have nearly enough cops.

I'd certainly pay extra for a really great public transit system. Right now, to travel 85 miles in California doesn't cost very much in public transit but it takes 3.5 hours to do it. 22 mph is not all that much faster than people traveled in Roman times or in the 1860s in America.

And driving is getting pretty brutal...if it isn't traffic, you have to worry about being picked off by massive Highway Patrol efforts to increase revenues.

Whenever I drive on Hwy 17 anymore, I feel like one of those bomber fleets going over Germany, trying to dodge the CHP. We all know that about 1 to 3% of us are going to get shot down every mission. :cry:
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited May 2010
    I don't think European gas prices have anything to do with the environmental or social impacts of fossil fuels. The taxes simply subsidize other programs. Nothing wrong with that. I too would pay for a system like they have - but it would cost a lot more here as in most places residential density is just so much less. I can't imagine having a transit network in my area like can be found in Munich or Zurich, or even Stuttgart or Luzern, where some vehicle is running within 5 mins walk no more than once every 10 mins, from 5am to midnight.

We receive less for the taxes we pay than others as we have massive defense and foreign obligations and parasites sucking us dry - not to mention domestic issues like public sector perks and pensions. We pay a lot less, but we get so much less.

Driving here is a nightmare too - most cities ardently refuse to synchronize lights and work on traffic controls, roads are second-world quality at best, traffic law enforcement is 90% a ridiculous money grab, and oblivious driving seems to be encouraged. My in-town afternoon commute can often average under 15mph per my car - and that's on 35-40mph roads...speeds go down when you hit every red light and get stuck in a line behind idiots going 28 in a 40. I wonder if anything would change if the money put into speedtrapping and cameras was put into improving traffic flow...and if public sector traffic "engineers" were held to any level of accountability. On that note, I have to be suspicious of this "congestion charge" proposal, given the lack of results provided by its supporters in other traffic-related areas. I also wonder about the impartiality when presented by a bicycle enthusiast/advocate. Remember the third type of lie.
    A major part of the problem is psychological. Our national mythology is not the same as Europe's. To us, when a person steps on a bus or train, they are a "loser" at worst, or a worker drone at best. This is simply not the social attitude of the European. The myth of "freedom" has been drilled into our heads since the 1840s, and while very romantic and kinda fun, it works against social cooperation when things get tight or tough. Only drastic situations like a war or disaster changes American attitudes, and then it goes right back to Davy Crockett as soon as the crisis passes.