Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Camry

jdelgado89jdelgado89 Member Posts: 7
Hi,

I notice the 08 Camry Solara is out. Anyone knows when the 08 Camry will be out.

Thanks,

jdelgado89

Comments

• car111car111 Member Posts: 24
    I've driven XLE V6 2008 camry. I noticed feeling of less space vs 2007, and also brakes are stiffer. Handling maybe better in 2008. The steering-wheel, gas pedal also seems little (very little) more harder in 2008. I think they copied Lexus ES, or are trying to mimic new Accord.

Anyone observed this - I drove 2 2008 cars to confirm ? Why would Toyota move in direction of stiffer German cars ?
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi car111:
    How did the transmission shift on the 2008 V6 Camry? Does it still have the problem of the 2007?
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
    The 2007 cars I drove - most were fine for shifting - I think Toyota mentioned it was on less than 0.5% of "early production cars". Better to test-drive the exact car before buying to check smoothness of ride,noise, cornering, control/pedals/transmission-shifting, etc.
  • bsmitmarbsmitmar Member Posts: 10
    We are looking for a 2008 camry se with the xm radio built in. it's the EJ package addon. Does anyone have this and did you have to order your car? Also is there an antenna on the roof or is is intergrated?

Thanks
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The xm option is P7. EJ is sat capable but kit required. You can have it added at the dealer or the port. The antenna is on the back parcel shelf.
    Mack
    Hi Mack;

Thanks for your help. So we dont need the EJ package in order to get the xm radio. We already have the xm service in our other car, but my husband doesnt want that little radio thing you get at Circuit City or that outside antenna sticking out with the wire. Sorry but I dont know what the back parcel shelf is. Is this on the outside or inside?

thanks

maria
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I interpret Mack's answer that you need only the P7 option, and the parcel shelf is that horizontal "shelf" directly behind the rear seat (ahead of the rear glass), inside the car.
    great thanks for the help oon that. when you talk with the dealers you get 5 different answers and never know which is correct. and their ready to sell me something that costs $1000. thanks again
  • raphaelhomraphaelhom Member Posts: 19
    I just test drove the Camry and was dissapointed with the amount of wind noise on the freeway, when compared with my 2002 5 series BMW.

Has anyone else noticed excessive wind noise or am I too picky after driving the BMW for so long.
  • camryowner1camryowner1 Member Posts: 62
    Did you drive 08 Camry up any hills with the cruise control on? Did it downshift very often on an extended hill climb? 07 Camry was a nightmare trying to hold "set" cruise control speed on any inclined roadway.
    WE HAVENT BOUGHT THIS YET. CANT FIND THE ONE WE WANT WITH THE JBL SYSTEM. WAITING FOR IT TO BE ORDERED. SORRY
  • raphaelhomraphaelhom Member Posts: 19
    so any feedback from anyone on wind noise on the freeway on the 2007/8 camry?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I have an 07 and find it quite fine for highway speed driving.

I think it's a matter of personal acceptance however. My other vehicles are SUV's, and the Camry is the daily driver, bought to be cheap/safe/reliable and run the wheels off.

You're coming from a comparison of the fit and finish of a BMW, twice the cost of the Camry. Certainly it's not going to be as quite as your current ride.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Speaking strictly about quiet and smoothness, My openion is the 2007 camry hybrid wins in BOTH catagories. Not looking for a big confrontation, JMHO.
  • dwinkdwink Member Posts: 14
    I'm in the market for an '08 camry, but am reluctant to buy based on the experience everyone was having on the '07. Does any anyone know if the transmimission issue was resolved for the '08? And if any other improvements were made from the previous year? Thanks!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Best thing to do would be to take the car for an extended test drive. Our Toyota even allows us to keep the car overnight. If you think the car has issues, believe me you will notice it. First year cars generally have more flaws and glitches compare to subsequent models, so I expect the 08 Camry will be better than the 07 model. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Drive the car while mildly accelerating, depressing the gas pedal just enough to be in a gear lower than you would be just cruising at your current roadspeed.

Release the gas pedal long enough, "just" long enough, for the transaxle to upshift back into the gear ratio appropreate to your roadspeed.

Just as soon as you "feel" the upshift depress the gas pedal more aggressively.

Repeat the above sequence 2 or 3 times in reasonably quick sucussion, just as you would were you a somewhat timid driver trying to merge from the acceleration lane into a line of FAST moving traffic in the travel lane of the freeway.

It may take a bit of practice before you get the "feel" of the transaxle shifting activity.

UPSHIFT FLARE:

It appears that this symptom is more prevalent, MUCH more prevalent, when the ATF is still cold from the car setting overnight. So be leary of a salesman/person that wants to find a way to "warm" up the drivetrain before you go out on your test drive.

It is for this reason I have long suspected that the 3rd to 4th upshift "flare" has something to do with ATF volume, or in the alternative ATF viscosity.
  • bobveebobvee Member Posts: 17
    Hi,
    Just purchased (on 9/15/07) a new 08 Camry SE with the V6 engine and 6 speed auto transmission. To date I have had no problems (now over 600 miles on the car). DBW transmission takes a while to get used to it. I have no hesitation or flare, and the V6 engine car is FAST. Dealer stated that the 08 cars have the transmission issues resolved - so far so good. Will keep you posted.
    I bought 07 XLE V6 Camry recently since brake pedal was softer than 08 Camry. I and my friends have driven it - acceleration seems fine.

I think that 2007 Camry V6 transmission issues were part of toyota's service campaign - its for early production camrys made last year. Any 07 still sitting in dealer's lot would (you can check date on driver door) be from few months ago.

You can confirm the VIN of the 2007 car you like with Toyota to ensure no recalls, or no service campaigns.

I think 08 handles road bumps better but since I have knee problem, I wanted softer pedals.
  • comuscomus Member Posts: 24
    I am on my 4th transmission in my second new 07 Camry XLE. This problem still exists. Its ugly.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If you are buying an I4 engine, then make sure the new TSB has been done and you'll be fine with an '07. The '08's should have the latest TSB already applied.
    I disagree. Just cause you pay an arm and a leg for a Bmw doesn't mean it will have better fit and finish than a Camry. Toyota built its reputation on fit and finish and most important; quality. :)
    I'm not just talking out of both sides of my mouth. I'm fortunate to have a BMW dealership right next to me and believe me, their fit and finish is not that great.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    Hey Willard, very few people drive like you describe. What is "sucussion?"

"Repeat the above sequence 2 or 3 times in reasonably quick sucussion, just as you would were you a somewhat timid driver trying to merge from the acceleration lane into a line of FAST moving traffic in the travel lane of the freeway."

No wonder you have problems with your Camry. You can't drive. :sick:
    Mackabee
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, I should learn to use spell check every time, "old dog new tricks thing" I guess.

"very few people drive like you describe."

You don't suppose, do you, that might be why so few owners are encountering these symptoms?

Also the "sequence" is a paraphasing, expansion, of one of the driving circumstances Toyota describes in the 1993 Camry TSB to address the 1-2 second transaxle downshift delay/hesitation issue.

And you may notice I did attribute the "sequence" to the more timid of Camry drivers.

I don't own a Camry and NEVER will. I learned long ago just how unsafe FWD and F/AWD vehicles can be in adverse weather conditions.

My daily driver is a 2001 AWD RX300 (yes, F/AWD) but fitted out to accomodate RWD biasing. Tre chains ONLY on the rear when the going gets rough (slippery).
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    bobvee, I am glad that your 08 doesn't have the shift flare.

I have the 07 with the shift flare. They replaced my tranny and it worked great for 3 months...but then, it started flaring again. ;-(
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning Teamtbo:
    Lets ask ourselves this important question. ---- If the 2008 Camry does not have the "shift flare issue," then Toyota knows that the "shift flare issue" does exist in the 2007, they know what is causing it, and as such, they have done something about it in the new production run of the 2008 vehicle, so why have they not corrected the problem with the 2007 vehicles??????????????????????????????
    Best regards. ---- Dwyane :shades: :confuse:
    Teamtbo:

I now have approx. 1000 miles on the Camry Se and still no problems. We'll see what happens in the next couple of months.
    Dwyane,

But as is the other logical assumption....since they haven't affirmatively confirmed and fixed the 2007's, then there is nothing to conclude that the 2008 wouldn't be subject to the same problem as well.

One day the cars are rolling down the line and as they exit they are stamped with a 2007 date, the next day the cars rolling down the line are changed to a 2008. Typing an 8 instead of a 7 on a piece of paper, does not prevent an 2008 V6 from having this flare problem.

Personally, having a 2007 LE I4 with over 20K miles on it, I would highly recommend the I4 and would buy another....wouldn't see me near a V6 on the dealers lot.
    Now which part of "early 07 production Camry v6 had a problem with the transmission and this issue has been corrected" do you guys don't understand? :(
    You keep crying wolf in a crowded forum when the wolf has already exited the building.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We have about forty eleven other discussions on the 07 transmission issues - let's not make this one the forty twelfth! ;)
    Mack,

Can take the discussion over to the Camry Transmission forum if needed, but I think you'd find a number of owners who would disagree with your assessment.

- The original V6 snap ring problem was identified early, and resolved.
    - The V6 'flare' problem still exists (symptoms documented with the videos posted in the forum), with a number of owners reporting that their vehicle was bought back under lemon law, others reporting that they still have the issue after numerous attempts to fix.

If you have a fix for this at your dealership, then lets get the affected owners to get in contact with you to help steer them how to get resolution. Their dealerships and centralized Toyota help desk are not getting their car fixed. Perhaps this is just a lack of technical skills at particular dealerships, but it's certainly reflecting badly on Toyota to have these problems linger.

If this problem is indeed resolved by Toyota, then it would be an easy matter for someone to step forward and offer to be the focal point for their problem resolution.

Pat, can you get someone from corporate Toyota to handle this?

Transmission Forum
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    Very well written Kiawah!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The V6 'flare' problem still exists (symptoms documented with the videos posted in the forum), with a number of owners reporting that their vehicle was bought back under lemon law, others reporting that they still have the issue after numerous attempts to fix.

Is there any evidence that the 08 Camry V6 also has the rpm flare problem? My aunt just bought an 08 LE V6 and her's drive just fine.
    No one to my knowledge, has posted that a 2008 V6 has experience a transmission flare yet. They have just recently become available.
  • csmookiecsmookie Member Posts: 4
    I live in the atlanta area and have received the following quote:
    SE v6
    Leather
    Spoiler
    Mats
    Tint
    25975 + tax + title fee

At first I had several dealers tell me they can match the price and have the car built to my specifications. As of late they are telling me all SE v6 come with sunroofs and the sports convenience package. My question is, if the car is going to be built to my specifications why will these accessories be added? Have any of you run into the same situation?
    If you are ordering the car you build it how you want it. I am ordering a 08 se 4cyl with a jbl stereo in green color, since they you cant find it anywhere like that. I didnt have to have anything I didnt want. You should go on Edmunds pricing to see if that $25975 is a good price. Use the fleet dept. to buy the car. they charge invoice price plus a few hundred. We are paying $200 over invoice. Anyone can buy from the fleet dept. its no hassle and you dont have to be any special or affiliated with anyone to buy fleet. We only buy our cars this way. Good luck
    What are the specifications you want? The moonroof and sports convenience package are optional. You can't order a car to your specifications per se. Every dealer gets an allocation twice a month and they can then "preference" a car for you as closely as you want it provided the options you want are available for that car. For example, you can't tell them you want an SE but want the XLE interior. That's an extreme example but you get my drift. Good luck and look for an experienced salesperson or talk to the person that orders/preferences the cars for the dealership. Good luck!
    :)
    Mackabee

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, I have done this in the past. It depends on the dealership. The first two I went to said that I can't order a car the way I wanted it. The third dealership was great, and they ordered it to my specs. Three months later, it came in, perfect!! The dealer told me it would be about three months, and they were right. They required a $1000 deposit, which I could understand.
  • bigrig42bigrig42 Member Posts: 3
    How would one go about ordering from a fleet dept. That is all new to me.
    thanks
  • trdcamrytrdcamry Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2008 SE V6 Automatic. This is a lot of car for the money, came down to the 08 Lexus IS 250, 08 Infinity G35 Sedan and the 08 Camry SE V6. Could not have been happier with the purchasing process (all negotiations handled via e-mail, no phone calls, no dealer visits). I will buy all my cars this way in the future. Has anyone experienced any problems with their 08's? I was assured by a buddy of mine that works at the Camry plant in Georgetown, KY that all transmission issues were worked out for all cars built after February of 07, and the ones with problems (07 model) were small in relation to amount of cars sold. Got the car with everything I wanted, (Leather, JBL w/ Bluetooth, Carpeted Floor mats, Moonroof, Body Side Moldings, Rear Spoiler, Rear Trunk mat) for $26,228 + TTL plus had the dealer throw in full window tint for free because he could not meet my price of $26,100 (Window tint worth $215.00.) My dealer was Toyota of Fort Worth, TX and the service was exceptional. Got bids from 7 dealers in the Metroplex, majority of the dealers were complete deceitful morons. Looking forward to being a part of the forum. Let me know if anyone is having any issues.

- TRDCAMRY
  • johnbaxter1johnbaxter1 Member Posts: 12
    Do the dealers that you designate as premier have any
    commitment to deal from the Edmunds TMV quote on a
    2008 Camry LE-V6 with options for trac-esc and alloy wheels?
    please advise
    thank you
    i dont know if they do. when we went to buy we went through Costco and they gave us names. all you can do is ask or use the edmonds dealers. it seems the dealers are all signed up with most websites that deal with cars.
    You just call whatever dealer you want to deal with and ask for the fleet department. Do your research first and know what type of model and package you want. Consumer reports for $12 gives you a detail of every option available for every model you want. example we wanted an SE with the EJ package so when i emailed or called the dealer i told them what i want and they quoted me with that. The CR report includes the MSRP and invoice price for the car and all its options. Once you know what you want and what the dealer invoice costs are, you can walk into any dealer knowing what the cost of the car is and how much you are willing to pay over that invoice price. The dealers pay the same price for the cars the only difference is tax and license depending where you are. I talked with three different dealers they all quoted me the same price for the car but all three had different over invoice costs. YOu can bargain that down too. I told the guy I wanted $200 over because that was the lowest quote I got, If he wanted my sale he would have to match. He called back 30 minutes later and we made a deal. The best part about the fleet dept. they are into getting the deal done fast so they can go onto the next one. Its so much better than talking with the regular sales guy. When we have bought the last 3 or 4 cars this way we are usually in and out within an hour. No fuss. If you have any other questions please let me know. Hope this helps I know I got a bit long winded. Sorry
  • bigrig42bigrig42 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for yhr Info!
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The time for this post was before you bought the car. It's too late now. Why not just enjoy it instead of looking for troubles?

What you'll get here is anecdotal data from an extremely small sample that will be meaningless in relation to your car. Just enjoy your new ride and if you have issues, then post to see if anyone else has the same issue. Chances are you'll never have a problem and if you do, that's what the warranty is for. :)
    I have read all the responses concerning past issues, that's why I waited to buy a 2008 instead of a 2007. Simply trying to see if there are issues that have come up with other 08 owners, will post if I find any with my vehicle. Believe me I have been enjoying this car from day one.
  • bigmike2bigmike2 Member Posts: 96
    As I said re: my new 2007 XLE V6, I have not experienced any problem like those reported. I do think they were fixed awhile back. Also, when I looked back through the trouble reports, they were overwhelmingly associated with the 4 cylinder. My guess is the lack of the extra oomph made whatever hesitation there was more apparent.
    Hi TRD Camry:

I bought a Silver 08 Camry SE V6 Auto-transmission, in Sept. and have now over 1200 miles on it. Car came equipped with same options/features you have including pin striping, lo-jack, remote start and a 5 year tire/wheel warrantee.
    Only problem so far has been a slight vibration through the steering wheel at 70 MPH. Took it to the dealer on 10/6/07 and they found 1 tire out of balance. They re-balanced all 4 tires and the car is fine. I love the car - tranny is smooth through all gears and the car is FAST.

PS: just order the hi-performance TRD airf-filter that should increase performance.

Good luck with yours.
    Great recommendation on the air-filter, let me know once you receive it if you notice horsepower gains. One of the reasons I bought the Camry was to slowly add TRD performance parts over time without invalidating the warranty. The Air filter is a great place to start !!!! Have you thought about a cold air intake, low back pressure exhaust or supercharger?

I am waiting to see what else will be available, rumor is Toyota is going to spend three times the budget Chevrolet is via advances for their Camry on the NASCAR circuit. Virtually all advancements in car safety and performance have been developed via the racetrack so I hope great things trickle down to our Camry's via TRD parts. Congrats on your ride also. Quick note on my exterior mods, I shaved all badging except for Toyota Logo on front and rear, replaced with TRD Badging (rear deck and grill) . Adding Headlight Armour laser cut films, sunroof deflector, Hood bug and rock chip deflector and Paint matched Shark Fin Antenna.

Regards,

-TRD Camry
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Hate to burst anyone's bubble but you are not going to get any noticeable performance increase by changing the air filter. You may THINK you feel a difference but that's because you want to feel a difference to justify the money you spent. Even K&N only advertises "up to 4 horsepower" from their flat filter replacements.

4 hp is about 1.5% of the Camry V6 output. That translates into about .1 sec reduction in 0-60. That's unnoticeable and within the variation you'd see in repeated runs.

Enjoy your cars. :)