Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Camry

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    No, for the first 1000 miles or so the engine/transaxle ECU will be learning the actual, precise, parameters it needs to use to control both the engine and transaxle individually and together, in concert. As the car rolled off the factory floor and was started for the very first time the ECU was loaded with a set of default, "best fit", parameters.

Now as it is driven those default parameters will begin to be "fine-tuned" as the ECU learns the actual tolerances of the control devices and sensors unique to this particular vehicle.

As a for instance the transaxle's ATF line pressure is controlled by an electric solenoid which is typically used as a "bang-bang", on or off, servo device. No voltage applied, the plunger is fully extended by spring pressure, apply the full 12 volts and the plunger is fully retracted. But Toyota, and many others, uses it as a linear control device via the use of PWM, Pulse Width Modulation, to position the solenoid plunger incrementally anywhere in its full range of travel.

Over time and use the ECU "learns" how much PWM duty cycle to apply to the solenoid to adjust the ATF line pressure to the desired levels.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    "Look up the NCF, New Car Features, for the '08 Avalon for more detail."
    And where would I find these "New Car Features"? If I recall the only new thing for 08 is the 6 spd tranny, available 8 way power passenger seat, available Bluetooth, new wheel style for the XLS, new bumper/fog lights, new grille, darker tail lamps. Anything else I missed?
    I'm not an engineer (although I play one on TV) :blush: So everything you posted I'll go along with until I find something different.
    Mack.

• mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    So...the 08 and on are fine or are there still issues?
    They are fine.
    Mack :shades:
    Ok different question. After reviewing the numbers I don't think i'll be able to afford the v6 models. How are the 08 and 09 4cylinder Camrys? Do they suffer the same issues as the v6 (transmission flare? etc)

I appreciate the help. Thank you.
    Since these Toyota and Lexus transaxle FWD problems seemingly began with the abolition of the transaxle ATF pressure holding/sustaining accumulator back late in the last century there is probably no reason, or foundation, for separating the problem into engine types/classes.

The problem may exhibit less in one than the other but otherwise...
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello Eric, I have the 2007 v-6 SE I have had the valve body replaced then the Trans. The flare problem still existed.
    They then had my car in for service and said couldn't find the problem. However when I got the car back the flare was gone and has been gone for 6 months now. I have strong reason to believe they went ahead and reprogramed the ECU with the latest TSB and didn't want to tell me so they don't have to count it as a fix attempt and they protect themselves
    from possible lemon law buy back.
    I happy the flare is gone but the trans does not shift smoothly and has a downshift problem in 1st and 2nd gear.
    My Gas mileage has also dropped and I get no where near the MPG I should be getting.

To say the least this experience with this car has been my worst ever!

Keep in touch, Chuck
    sounds like i'll have to take my chances (and perhaps buy an extended warranty?)

does this flare issue pose a safety concern?
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    I have an 08-4cylinder with no flare problem--still wonder why Toyota ever went to a 5 speed tranny from a good 4 speed they had previous--I get no better gas mileage with the extra gear or any better anything.
    See my latest post------------
    The more gears you have the closer the engine can be kept to the RPM level that results in the lowest engine frictional effects. It took lots of cars out in the market with CVTs, Continuously Variable Transmissions, to get the industry to wake up to the fact that more available gear ratios equals better FE.

In the past it has always been the large displacement engines that get matched with gearboxes with lots of ratios when in reality it was the purchasers of small displacement engines, likely purchased specifically for the FE advantage, that could get the most benefit.
  • goobeegoobee Member Posts: 8
    I can confirm that I'm having tranny problems with my 2008. I've had my 2008 Camry XLE V6, 6-speed auto since October, 2007. It currently has ~9400 miles and other than multiple interior rattles, it's been trouble free. Last month I started noticing an odd transmission issue. The issue is felt at speeds 40 miles or less during street driving or slow freeway traffic. It happens intermittently and is difficult to duplicate on demand.

The issue occurs like this - I'm driving and the transmission seems to become "loose" (sorta like an exaggerated pause in stepping on and releasing the clutch on a manual transmission) and the engine increases RPMs about 1000 to 2000 and then "reconnects" and drives normally.

Initially, I thought they were sloppy up shifts but it doesn't always involves gear shifts.

When I described the issue to the dealer, the service writer told me it was because the transmission is "electric" and shifts differently than other trannies.

I didn't mention the word "flare" because I wasn't sure if this is the symptoms associated with flares.

After doing a bunch of Googles for "flare", I'm pretty sure I'm affected.
    "After doing a bunch of Googles for "flare", I'm pretty sure I'm affected."

Take two aspirin and call your dealer in the morning. Tell them you want the flare TSB done on your car. Should take care of it.
    Mack
  • mal22mal22 Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone, my name is mallory ward. i am a 3rd year student in college and i have to do a persuasive speech on toyota vehicles. i was wondering if someone could give me a little insight on the good opinions on the camery? if so let me know if it is ok to site you as a source on my speech. thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer any questions i have.
    Hi Mallory! welcome to the forum. First the correct spelling is Camry which means a small crown and it's derived from the Japanese word "kanmuri". Toyota has an obsession with crowns. The Corolla also means crown as in the crown around the sun. They also produced a car called the Corona which also means crown in spanish. Anyway, the Camry has been the best selling car in the US for the last 9 out of ten years or it might be 10 out of the last 11 years. I've lost track.

It's currently on its sixth generation (2007-present) and it has grown substantially from when it was first introduced in the US in 1982 (first generation) and it looked like the typical econo-box of that era. The Camry is one of the most reliable vehicles ever made by Toyota. The biggest competitor has always been the Honda Accord which is a fine automobile in its own right.
    It is built primarily in Georgetown Kentucky, and also in Japan for US distribution. Toyota has several plants in North America as one of their commitments is to build the cars they sell in the country they are selling them.
    There is a ton of info I could give you and I don't want to bore you so let me know specifically what it is you need to do. You mentioned persuasive, in what way?
    Mack
    :shades: :shades: :shades:
    Suggest you visit a area Toyota dealer for visual material to take to your speech class--I am sure they would help you on that---speech Profs always like visual exhibits if I remember right from too many years ago----I have only had 2 Cammys and 6 other different Toyotas----Maybe some useful data in Consumer Reports Magazine would help in your presentation to persuade others to buy Camrys--in that mag they have various ratings from readers and consumers who sent material to the mag on how they rate different Camry components and overall ratings-you might also ask the dealer for suggestions on this speech idea-----Ask for the general sales manager..Many of these people are very nice and would respect what you are doing in that speech. Best of luck and there are many informed people that post on this site that no doubt will chime in more to help you.
    I am sure your college library has Consumer Report mag--if not your town library would --new and old issues alike--------
    Just my opinion--most people do not have to be persuaded to buy Camrys--they go to a dealer to get the best price and iron out little details as trim,etc
    Very true.
    Mack
  • jo14jo14 Member Posts: 12
    Would you advise the purchase of the 4 cylinder 08 or 09 LE? If I read everything correctly here, there are no major differences (excluding price and rebate) between the two correct? Is there any advantage to buying one over the other? Will there be a difference/disadvantageor advantage in 5 years when I resell this car i.e. if I put 15,000 miles per year on it.

FYI: This car will replace my 02 6 cylinder LE which I've been happy with.

Thanks in advance for any advice you provide!

Jo
    Your 09 will be worth more than the 08 five years from now. I would go with the 09.
    Mackabee
    I traded last Oct a 02 for a 08 for $11700 difference plus tax--it had 76000 miles--Both were LE 4's automatic--Last saw 08's were being discounted $1500s--if you can get a 08 at $2500 less than an 09 it may be a good deal-----don't know what a dealer will work with you on an 09--demand for Camry may be down due to gas--see what they'd do on a Pruis if you do not need a bigger car--or a Corolla, check out various dealers if you can---------------------check out a 08 certified also--has a better drivetrain warranty but I believe only 1 year on other components--------
    Camry is no slouch when it comes to fuel economy. Most 4 cylinder Camrys average aroudn 33-34 in the highway. Prius is the hottest seller right now and I doubt if anyone is discounting them. We are out of them at my store and have six coming in the first half of May with two already presold at MSRP. 08 Camrys are also getting scarce so if you are going to make a move it's best to do it now.
    Mack
    Suggest you go to NADA website and get your cars retail value--then try to deal retail to retail or close as you are comfortable with--suggest you also go to Edmunds.com--click on " tips and advice" at the top of page--then see CONFESSIONS OF A CAR SALESMAN-on that site -------------- -a most interesting read-------------------------NADA used car prices are in my opinion higher than Kelly ---------
    Are 09 Camry Hybrids a vehicle in demand and getting MSRP also--with gas as it is, are they worth the difference in price? Always curious if the hybrids used car price decline more as years go on due to the need to replace the battery in I believe 8 years---may be wrong on that 8 year thing. I do not know the cost to replace the battery? I always like reading your posts--enjoy your humor---you know the vehicle.
    Everything that has high fuel economy ratings is in demand right now. The 09 Corolla is beginning to take off. The Camry hybrid we are also out of as I thought we had one on the lot but I couldn't find it yesterday to show to a customer. The battery and synergy drive have an 8year 100k mile warranty. That doesn't mean they will only last 8 years. Remember this technology was proven in Japan for three years before it came to the US. The first Prius was running in Japan from 1997 to 2000 and then we got it in 2000 with second generation technology. The current Prius has third generation technology and the second gen technology was licensed to Ford and Nissan by Toyota so we are still one generation ahead of everyone else. All the first gen Japanese Prius are still running. The first question I asked when we first got the car in 2000 was "How long will the battery last and how much will it cost to replace?" I was told the battery pack would last "the life of the car" which at that time meant 15 years or 150k miles or more.
    You may have read reports on Consumer Reports about the time it takes to recoup the money spent on a hybrid versus a just gas car. If I recall correctly they said it would take 5 years or so. They based it on gas prices then and also on maintenance costs which are actually really low as the only maintenance needed on them is regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc., on the gas side of the car only. The electric side is maintenance free. If the battery pack needs replacement and the car is out warranty it costs around $3200.00 dollars.
    So the difference in price may not be worth it to some customers but they do feel like they are contributing to a cleaner environment and most if not all Prius owners say they would buy another one if they had to replace their Prius. It has the highest loyalty rating of any car.
    :)
    Mackabee :shades:
    Thanks--very complete answer--I see from CR that Pruis owners very loyal--I sat in one but the dash seemed very large--I know you cannot compare the sizes of the Camry and Prius interiors so in the future I would consider a Camry hybrid.--As you said "gas prices then"----as they increase the time element would shorten, I think.
    That is unless the price of the car also goes up-- I forgot about that element.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    is built primarily in Georgetown Kentucky, and also in Japan for US distribution

Its also built and assembled in Japan? As i know the camry that japan assembles is only for the Asian market and the design is different and a little bigger, its also sold in some countries by the name of toyota aurion

Any1 know about this?
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Yes, the do build them in Japan for us. Not as many as they used to but still do. Ours are mostly built in Georgetown Ky

So both camrys are same some are coming from japan but most are made in Georgetown Ky?

Any quality difference for the japanese made is it better?

I really like the aurion better where is the aurion built only in japan?

And IMO the aurion it looks even better then the lexus ES350.

Nice pics especially of the aurion

thanks
    Any reason Toyota does not make the side body moldings standard like the ones made overseas--just curious? So they can keep the MSRP down? I now see they are offered as an option by the dealers-- around $123 plus installation---
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Prodigy is cool, just due to the standard fog lights alone.
    So both camrys are same some are coming from japan but most are made in Georgetown Ky?

Yes, most are US built. I can't see any quality differences. You could take the VIN#s off a Japan built and a US built and you can't tell the difference. There is still the perception that the Japan built are better. Having owned both Japan and US made I can tell you they are both great cars. :)

The Aurion is made in Australia and some parts of Asia:
    China, Taiwan, Phillippines, Malaysia, (not Japan). It replaced the Toyota Avalon in Australia and New Zealand and it's basically a seventh generation Camry with different back and front. In some Asian countries it is also sold as a Camry. (See pic below) I agree, I think it looks way better than the ES350.

Mack :shades:

p.s I'm going to have to resize the picture. It's taking up the whole screen!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    p.s I'm going to have to resize the picture. It's taking up the whole screen!

It appears you did indeed do that and I thank you very much. For the record, any time a picture you post pushes up under the right sidebar, it should be resized not to do that, even if it's only a little bit. The reason for that is that if the picture appears in the first post on the page, not only is it cut off, but so are the next several posts.

If you post your pictures on your CarSpace page and then use the automatically generated code to display them here, they will be automatically resized and you won't have to worry about.

End of Public Service Announcement. :P
    Is the Camry still the best selling car in the USA?
    Yes it is!
    Mack
    :)
    Thanks--any idea what is second?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Accord.
    Thought that may it--Thanks
  • steve1952steve1952 Member Posts: 1
    Can an owner change the customization codes mentioned in the owner's manual? Ex: length of time the lights stay on when the doors are locked at night; the message that appears in the radio when it's turned on each time.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Not that I've been able to figure out.
    If you're a "good" customer dealers will often waive the charge.
  • sjv1944sjv1944 Member Posts: 6
    Dealership replaced the water pump on my wife's 05 Camry at 30,000 miles under warranty (they said the original was leaking and had seized though I had not noticed any coolant loss or noise). Now, at 50,000 miles, they say the water pump is leaking again and they will replace it under warranty. I have never had a water pump on any vehicle fail with so little mileage on it. What could cause this? Just bad parts or possibly the belt under too much tension or something else?
    Or your dealer could be "soaking" the manufacturer for unwarranted warranty repairs.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    wwest could be right. Were there any leaks or loss of coolant that you were aware of? Also, if the pump had "seized," I think you would have heard unusual noise when the engine was running, likely accompanied by eventual overheating.
  • rearwheeldriverearwheeldrive Member Posts: 140
    When I had a water pump seize it was loud. Yours is run by the timing belt I really doubt they did the change in the first place.
  • agoldagold Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, I am a victim of Toyota's miracle engineering that requires that in order to replace a $250 water pump the engine must be disassembled or removed at any rate, costing roughly $1,500 in labor for a total of almost $1,800! Are you kidding me? I am disgusted and would never recommend this car to anybody. Making matters worse, I brought the car into a dealership to have them check out the pump when I noticed that it wasn't sounding right and they said it was fine. Three months later it goes when I'm driving on the highway at night and thats where I remained for 2 hours before I could get it towed. Apparently their mechanics aren't any brighter than their engineers.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    What model year? You don't have to remove engine at any rate.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Ahhh...actually that is true. For a V6... the engine needs to be pulled to replace the water pump.