Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Camry

123457»

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yet another STRONG reason not to replace a perfectly good well performing water pump..!!
  • agoldagold Member Posts: 2
    07 camry se v6. I have had 3 mechanics (including at the dealership) say that the engine has to come out and the book says its a 15 hour job! if you ever buy this car, get the extended waranty.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I stand corrected. Another reason to stick with the 4-cylinders.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Yep....I agree. The 4 cylinder has been perfect for our needs.
  • ms000ms000 Member Posts: 2
  • ms000ms000 Member Posts: 2
    have 2 camrys 04 95,000 and 06 55,000
    they both have 2.4 4-cylinders
    had to replace water pump on both $200 each
    next time i will buy HONDA ACCORD
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    It's been awhille since I posted. I have a 2007 Camry SE V-6 which has had all the transmission issues and shifting problems beside numerous other issues.

I'm writting today to let people know I had an enginge warning light come on last weekenf which also included mt VSC and traction light. I took it to Auto zone to have the code read which they do at no charge compared to Toyota which wanted to charge $110 to hook it up on it's computer.
    After confirming I had a bad ignition coil I bought a replacement for $85 from Toyota and replaced it myself. The front coils are easy to get at compared to the back. I was fortunate to have my bad on in the front. It took me 2 minuteds to change it, One bolt and one plug. Toyota wanted $300 for the whole job.
    That being said my car has much better pick up and doesn't seem to hesitate anymore.

IS it possible that this coil has been defective from day one and now has finally showed up on the computer as this coil worsen.
    I'm still test driving the car as I have only got to drive short distances to work and back but itfeels like day and night. I'm also hoping my MPG's get better which has always been a problen with this car.
    Unfortunetley The coil is only covered under the 3 year 36,000 waranty.

Feel free to offer any of your thoughts or use the for your own experience's

My Camry
  • petermontrealpetermontreal Member Posts: 7
    My 2008 Camry (4 cyl XLE with 44,000 mi) has a rough idle. Bought it used last Summer 2010 and I've tried a number of things including switching to synthetic oil, and switching fuel grades......no luck. Still very rough. Enough so that when I get to a red light I put the automatic transmission in neutral because it feels like the car will stall. I brought the car to the dealer twice and both times they said there is nothing wrong (no codes) and this is normal. Well, it does not feel normal at all. It actually shakes like a mid-nineties diesel truck. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • mark265mark265 Member Posts: 5
    Check spark plugs and timing......
    Hi Mark,

Thx for the feedback. The car only has 44,000 miles. would it be normal that the plugs and wires need changing at such low mileage? would poor timing / plugs show up as a code in the diagnostic computer?

PS: I also notice that when the car idle is rough and i'm coming to a full stop/traffic light it sometimes feels like the car is about to stall.

Peter
  • beerdombeerdom Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. i called Toyota and they had the dealership call. The person i had talk to stated that this is normal for the 4 cyl. He also stated that there is a notice they received from Toyota that this is the norm. I tell you if the car was shaking when i bought it I would have never purchased it. Please let me know if you find a solution. .
    Sorry for the late reply. I've sent an email to the delaership that sold the car new. Waiting for feedback to see if the previous owner had the same issue. Peter
    beerdom,
    I noticed that you mentioned that the noise/vibration was not present when you bought the car. Can you tell me when the noise/vibration developed?
    Peter
  • tkbootkboo Member Posts: 2
    my 2008 camery 2.4 lit is running with no check engine lights but has been making a sort of growling noise from somewhere on bottom of engine or exhaust system. i don't lose power though...the hotter the car gets the louder the sound,,, replaced muffler still does it, took it to dealership 5 times in past 4 weeks, still have problem they supposingly checked water pump iys ok,, did throttle body and intake cleaning including injectors, still doing it, changed filters, still doing it adjusted belts, still doing it... i don't have a clue as to what it may be anyone else know?
  • tkbootkboo Member Posts: 2
    bought camery new has 42000miles on now started getting noise from what appears to be bottom of engine or exhaust,,,took it to dealership 5 times in past 4 weeks =... they say itsnormal, i say it wasn't that way when i bought it or before now,,,,no over heating,, no check engine light, no loss of power, but plenty of growling/groaning noise.. they did injector cleaning service, checked water pump, did air induction and throttle body cleaning,,,adjusted valves,, changed filters,,,adjusted belts.. nothing changed,,, so i took it to muffler shop,,, put new muffler on,,,, they checked exhaust system couldn;t find any leaks. by the way did u know cleaning the intake and throttle body is maintance not covered under warrenty.... any way still the same,,, I have no clue what to think of next!
    Hi TKBOO,
    I had a maintenance check done today and they cleaned the throttle and injectors....$200+ but the noise is still there. I can't explain it. Very frustrating!!
    But the mechanic told the person who was managing my visit that he heard the noise and suggested the cleaning I just mentioned. It's nice to hear they acknowlewdge it but I think Toyota may be hiding something. I will write a letter to the president and CEO of Toyota.
    Peter
  • red426red426 Member Posts: 2
    I have similar problem..did you write Toyota? What was outcome ? I think if we join together on all our cases involving rough idle, stalling and engine noise, we might have a better chance with "Goliath".
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Reporting your issues to the NHTSA is the best way to amalgamate complaints about a particular vehicle problem:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thx Red, I'll try that.