Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Paint Problems

Comments

• je11634je11634 Member Posts: 4
    If your Odyssey is dark blue, then they will fix the paint on any horizontal surfaces. They extended the Paint Warrenty for this, so you need to check with your Dealer Quick.
  • mismatchmismatch Member Posts: 1
    Waited years to get a new Honda. My 2010 silver metallic Odyssey got a nicked rear bumper--my fault. Honda dealer/insurance replaced and painted it three times. Poor match--their fault!

The two-tone vehicle actually has off color matches on both bumpers, side strips, air foil, etc. Honda of America says that's the nature of painting different materials. Not a defect; just the state-of-the-art paint today! I cannot believe that they lack such basic paint skills and techniques for their cars.

I bought the car at night so I never noticed the slightly mismatched paint. The new bumper cover made it abundantly clear that the paint is mismatched. The body color has a "violet" hue embedded throughout. Looks good. The newly painted bumper is all gray; no hue, no metallic, no match. So much for quality control at the American Honda Co. They appear to have some real problems with the newer paints being applied to plastics.

A Honda agent (Chris) said that there is no defect--that's the best that Honda could do with paint being applied to plastic. He said such visual aberrations are normal; close matches are all that should be expected. For a new $35,000 investment--I really expected more, especially from Honda, although it was made in America.

My Honda dealer in Florida showed me many cars on his lot with similar mismatches. Apparently, it's more common than expected and the consumers are not being forewarned when they buy. This seems to be unethical.

I never had a problem matching household paint from Lowe's and it always matched whether applied to wood, metal, plastic, cement, etc. Honda might want to develop a process that actually matches the paint to the vehicle rather than rely on formulas found inside the front door.

Based on Honda's inability to rectify the mismatched paint situation this will be my first and last experience with this company. It seems that Honda simply has too much difficulty matching metallic paints on metal and plastic car parts. They seem to lack the technical capacity to produce uniformity in their paint applications. This would indicate a lack of quality control or poor production practices. In either case, Honda seems unable to do live up to its earlier reputation.
  • minimommyminimommy Member Posts: 13
    Am looking at 2010 Ody and am wondering if anyone has experience with Crystal Black Pearl and how well it wears? Also like Bali Blue or Ocean Mist but see Honda has had problems with other blue paint through the years. Guess I could always go with White, but it has no pearl to it at all. Am staying away from silver/gray. Only thing salesman said was black will show all scratches. Not too much of a concern -- I just want it to stay looking nice. (They also want to sell Cilajet protection for paint/upholstery)
    Anybody out there want to comment on the Crystal Black or blues or other color you have and like? Much appreciated.
  • florence1florence1 Member Posts: 1
    I am just entering this whole Honda paint issue forum and, let me tell you, I will never buy another Honda. Yes, my Accord is 6 years old but come on!! I went to my dealer about a rough edge under the front edge of the hood and a bubble under the paint. I was just told today by the dealer that he sees it all the time on the hood of my model of car and that it is a painting defect of Honda. After researching on the internet I am convinced that no matter what color or model of car you have from Honda, it will look like a crappy heap of dull or rusted metal before it gives out mechanically. Apparently they are not very technically advanced in the finish department...maybe they should ask the Germans about fixing that! And they have to be aware of their inferior work with all the complaints all over the internet. I say DON'T DO IT!
  • mainesail55mainesail55 Member Posts: 8
    Having done a fair amount of painting over the years, I can tell you that they are blowing smoke at you about matching the color. The color of metallic paint will vary according to a number of different factors including the wetness and the angle that it was put on, air pressure, distance from the work piece and well, you get the picture. That said, any competent painter will be able to match the paint by varying the above factors to give the match required.
  • scrosswhitescrosswhite Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 - Dark Blue - Pain on roof is peeling - in several different places - really, really bad!

Honda Dealership Service manager has me scheduled to come in. Said Honda is aware of dark blue paint problems including that year - said Honda has extended paint warranty (I need to know about what that means). Says that Honda has authorized a local body shop (this dealer does not have their own body shop) to do the paint repair work. Said if I want to chose my body shop - he said I will have to go through Honda corp. for that.

I first noticed a couple spots between top of windshield and moon roof maybe back in June this year - in recent weeks has gotten much worse - paint is easily peeling - and have several large places now at rear of the van on the roof. It is peeling daily.

A top notch body shop person I know (paint expert) assures me it's all factory problem. He said I might should insist on the whole van being stripped and painted. He said the existing paint would need to be stripped off - not painted over - said the metal preparation is faulty.

So, anyone know what I'm up against?
    - should I insist on a complete strip and paint job?
    - should I expect Honda to o.k. me getting the work done at shop of my choice?
    - any suggestions on what I am entitled to?

I tend to keep vehicles a long time - got a '94 Subaru with 240,000 and still truckin'.

Will appreciate a holler or two!!

Sid
  • je11634je11634 Member Posts: 4
    Had mine done a year or so ago and it looks like new where they painted. Just be aware that they only cover Horizontal surfaces in the recall, so if you have door dings or other scratches on vertical surfaces they will not paint them. However, you could talk to the paint shop and get the whole van painted with you just paying the extra cost.

As for the color matching, I can't tell the difference with my Van. The shop did an excellent job. Just wish I could have afforded to have them fix the dent my wife put in it while the shop had it.
  • jgp9jgp9 Member Posts: 8
    I have had the same problem. I've had it two times to the dealer for roof, hood, and hatch back. Now both sliding doors are pealing plus the driver's side door.

I have an appointment with the district manager tomorrow and I'm going to ask him to pain the whole car.
  • silvercansilvercan Member Posts: 1
    Do you know America Honda Motor is installing color defective bumper covers onto Honda & Acura models in their assembly plants? It is most likely that the refinish used in repairing the bumper or the main body after a collision also does not match. It is because in this way, the car paint manufacturer can generate additional profits for themselves, for auto body repair shops, and for the car manufacturers. The paint technician has to tint and blend the mis-match paint onto the adjascent panels a lot more than it should be in order to simulate color match which requairs more paint products and labors. The paint technician has to remove and paint entire bumper, and reinstall all the parts such as fog lamps and grill, etc. onto the bumper, and the bumper has be installed back to the car. The extra repairing costs are passing down to all consumer because it drives up the insurance preminum eventualy. The bumper covers are made of plastic and it is very susceptible even to slight impact. The bumper cover are most damaged body part during the collision. Acoording to NHTSA, about 10 million cars were damaged in 2006. The question is how we are going to stop this kind of scam, so the consumer can be protected in the future. The possilbe combinations of toners for a particular color of car paint can be septrillions (24 zero after 1).
  • kayceesodykayceesody Member Posts: 1
    I walked out to my "not so old" van a few weeks ago and see the paint is peeling between the windshield and the sunroof. It is about the size of the palm of my hand. I was shocked that this was happening to my so called quality vehicle! It's only 3 years old after all! I did research when buying this car and everyone told me what a great company Honda was and how they loved their Honda, etc, etc blah blah blah. So I went with Honda. When I saw the peeling paint, I thought, oh, no problem...Honda is such a reputable company, they will surely fix this issue with no cost to me even if it is a little out of warranty. Well, the dealer spoke with Honda and sent pictures on my behalf. Honda agreed to pay 25%. What?? That's it? Then the service writer starts trying to move right into scheduling an appointment for the repair. Hold on there cowboy! I need to do some talking to Honda myself. Anyone out there have any advice for stating my case with Honda?
    The local body shop in Tampa Fl; you know the one that fixes the pain problems told me that certain colors of Honda Vans, specifically dark metallic blue has had problems since like 2001; no matter what year. I have had my van in the shop three different times to fix pain peeling. My suggestion is to push the dealership for the repair, if they don't budge go to the district manager. Good luck.
  • gup900rrgup900rr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 oddesy and it is maroon. in January i found a spot on the hood where something ate through the clearcoat, dealer said too bad you or on your own. well lesson learned, i have been very good to make sure that when ever i see something on the car i clean it off. Well last saturday i washed it offf and parked it in the garage. my wife goes to school on monday where she volunteers. i come home from work and see 3 or 4 bird poops on the roof, and guess what it ate right throught the clear coat. so what am i to do stop every 2 hours and wash the car. we had a GM mini van that sat outside every day for 5 years and never had an issue. I told the service girl at the dealer to buy the car back we are done, so now we are going to see the district manager.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Have you waxed it? Unfortunately, bird droppings are very acidic and will cause paint damage.
  • phoebehphoebeh Member Posts: 1
    While on vacation in Yosemite in a foot of snow, a strip of paint the size of a football peeled away from the roof just behind the windshield, leaving bare metal. I took the car in to Spreen Honda in California and they fixed it at no cost to me. They repainted the entire front half of the car and roof. Colors matched, could not be happier with the results.
  • hondafan1990hondafan1990 Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2011
    I just discovered paint peeling off one of my sliding doors ... upon checking, some paint also has come off on the roof as well. I wonder if anyone has been successful in getting Honda to pay for fixing this problem. After reading posts on forums such as this, I gather this is a widespread problem but the 2 local dealerships I'd called responded like they had never heard of it and promptly referred me to their affiliated body shop. Any information and tips will be much appreciated. I am in the Silicon Valley, if that helps. Thanks!
    May I ask where you are? I have a 2004 Odyssey (Midnight Blue) and have not found a dealer who is helpful ... they have acted like they had never heard of the paint problem I am describing to them! Does Honda have any official note on their website about this problem and ways by which they are fixing this for car owners? I am so glad and encouraged that you had a positive experience with getting them to re-paint your van for you.
  • brozybrozy Member Posts: 1
    The paint on my passenger sliding door has slowly been peeling over the last 4 or five months. In addition, peeling on the bottom half of the tailgate has been going on for over 6 months. Attempts to have this situation remedied with both Honda Hqtrs and the local dealership have been fruitless. They won't even admit there's a problem. I'll be writing a letter to the Honda VP of Quality Assurance along with pictures of their lousy paint job and their anemic efforts in resolving legitimate customer complaints. Also, the local Better Business Bureau will also be getting a heads up on this matter. In some 40 years of owning various cars, I've never had anything happen like this before. The good news is, the van is going back in for a third paint job to fix previous paint issues not done correctly.
  • xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    edited August 2011
    Recently I started paying attention to the cars' paint quality and discovered that Honda cars have the most paint peeling off problems by far than any other brands of cars. Sometime I can see 4 Honda cars with very bad paint in a short 5 minutes drive. Nissan is the 2nd worst.

Here's a link to many complaints against Honda paint problems: Honda paint
    edited September 2011
    Larry Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale authorized to repair peeling paint on my Midnight Blue 2004 Odyssey, but they didn't paint everything (as the dealership thought the body shop would) ... they might have done the entire roof and the entire hood, but they only did the top rim of the sliding doors. After I picked up the car, I noticed a couple more spots of peeled paint on the back side of the car. I am sure they won't fix those for free again since the earlier ones were done on a goodwill basis, extended warranty just expired. I am thankful that they fixed the paint for free but I am afraid this is not the end yet and at some point, I'll be seeing a lot of peeling in other parts of the van. How disappointing I am with this Honda! If Honda doesn't fix these paint problems in their cars, I'd seriously hesitate buying another one! I had a 1990 Accord for 14 years and never had any paint problems like this!
    It is a known problem throughout the auto world that Honda has a problem with their midnight Blue paint. It is not just 2004 year, either. I've had the same issues you have had. You need to ask to speak to the regional manager of Honda in your area, who usually comes by on scheduled appearances once a month or so to each dealer. Go out of your way to meet him/her and discuss the fact that you know of this problem, even in the areas that are not "covered". I did this and had success with the fixing the issue, even in the uncovered areas. Good Luck.
    Thanks, jqp9. They covered your paint repair even after the extended warranty?? What year is your Odyssey? It really is worth multiple attempts to get to the "right" persons ... took me three tries, twice at the dealership that actually authorized to cover the work (Honda headquarters told me that since it's just out of warranty, it's a case-by-case decision whether they would cover). I will start working on getting information on the regional manager's area visit! Did you have your entire vehicle repainted? If not, would other areas peel at a later time? That's what I am concerned about. I want to get it all fixed at once. They cover the paint job but not the rental car. Thanks so much for your comment and advise.
  • twoplanekidtwoplanekid Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I own a 2008 Maroon Odyssey that has paint chipping on all sides of the vehicle. The Honda dealer tells me that the car has been hit by a lot of objects and “also can see spots on car and roof where paint is damaged from an outside source like acid rain. Honda feels this is not a paint defect problem and will not assist in any repairs.” When I called Honda America, the rep tells me that the local dealer and District Manager don’t have access to paint issue records that Corporate Honda or the manufacturing plant might keep. So, how in the world do the local Honda people know that it isn’t a paint defect problem when they can’t check the factory records?

My previous Honda was a 2005 Odyssey that didn’t have this issue. My driving habits and the roads in Ohio have not changed since 2005. I am not a happy Honda owner.
  • rabbitacrerabbitacre Member Posts: 3
    Worst car and service ever! Not only did we have peeling around the sliding door that the dealer repaired for us fall of 2011 we have now peeling in the hatch area, on the entire roof top and around all windows as noted in the service report from Honda on this issue. After speaking with Simon Eng at Honda and stating that we were never notified of the recall and that all our paint issues are exactly as posted on Honda's service site, Simon will not take care of our issue. After having two previous great experiences with Honda, this car has truly been a lemon. Electrical issues, sliding door issues and now paint that continues to peel. Colleagues in the automotive industry are aware of the primer issue and poor paint with Honda and now we will also spread the word. Poor customer service, not standing behind their own service report and snotty attitude from their staff. NEVER buy another Honda.
    Sir/Maam:

I would push the issue further than you have thus far and ask to talk with the regional service manager. They come around to the dealerships about once per month and you need to make an appointment with them. I, too, have a metallic Blue Honda Odyssey and have had similar paint issues including the areas you mention. I asked to speak to the reg. service manager and pushed the issues. He had them repainted for me at no cost. PUSH THE ISSUE!! Worst thing they could say is "no" but I think they won't since they know this color has been a problem EVERY year they have released it.
  • yvesjcyvesjc Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2011 Odyssey, chips of paints are coming off on the roofs and sides of my car. How did your case end?
    I would think this paint problem should still be covered in the 2011 warranty?? I had just missed my warranty (even though it was extended for the paint problem, but I didn't discover the problem till it was just passed and I wasn't notified by Honda of the extended warranty) ... I was lucky to have found a great service manager who took care of filing paperwork with Honda headquarters and did the job at no charge to me. But of course, no more than a few weeks after the work was done, I saw other spots of peeled paint ... at this point if I want those to be fixed, I would need to follow the advice of a previous post to get in touch with their regional manager. This is disturbing to me to find that Honda is still having this problem in their 2011 model. I had expected them to have this fixed by now :( I love Honda cars, but ...
  • rudy386rudy386 Member Posts: 5
    From what I've been reading, paint is a real problem with Odysseys. My 2006 Odyssey white paint just began peeling on the roof between the sunroof and windshield. The primer looks fine, which implies there is an issue with the paint bonding to the primer. The dealer says there have been many such paint issues but Honda America will not acknowledge the issue. Honda America took my complaint but they refuse to say how many people have complained of the same issue. Anybody else with a paint problem not covered by the extended warranty afforded the 2003-2005 blue paint Odysseys?
    rudy386: Wonder if enough Honda owners voicing our dissatisfaction can make Honda fix this problem for good. Honda makes reliable cars, but I'd be reluctant to buy another if there will still be this paint problem to deal with. I tend to keep my cars for a long time, so I wouldn't like to have paint issues prematurely :(
  • rabbitacrerabbitacre Member Posts: 3
    I have complained to American Honda and think we should all do the same. Although the district manager for our region seems to be arrogant and rude, Mr. Ng, we should all continue as Honda does not want our voice to be heard by the public. This was an error with their supplier and process and the primer adherence is the main issue. My van has been garaged and maintained and my local dealer has been accomodating in the past. Honda has had a great product, but this is not acceptable. :lemon:
  • stephodysseystephodyssey Member Posts: 2
    I, too have complained to Honda America. They'd be happy to help me get a paint quote - higher than what i could get for myself! I asked for them to cover a fixed amount for re painting and they declined.

I asked for coverage under the now expired recall and again they declined.

It stinks! I offered to convert my peeling van to a rolling billboard announcing Honda's failure.
  • stephodysseystephodyssey Member Posts: 2
    Honda had a recall on the 2004 paint. Our dealership claimed to know nothing and by the time we found it online, it was too late. Honda America wouldn't make an exception for us. Definately thumbs down.
  • poocatpoocat Member Posts: 35
    I'm having the same problem with Honda Canada. They don't want to cover it under any warranty. Worst paint job of any vehicle I have ever bought. This will be my last Honda, I'll never buy another one or recommend it to anyone.
  • midnightblue3midnightblue3 Member Posts: 1
    Because my car is outside the warranty, Honda will not assume full responsibility for my peeling paint even though it is peeling in the warranty areas. I have preformed every maintainance - even the recommended maintainance. It is upsetting to me that Honda thought that a fair offer would be to pay for 35% of the repair for only the areas that are causing me problems right now. Honda is not willing to assume responsibility even though it is a known issue - "sorry you have been advised that it is out of the warranty". At times, all Honda representatives that I spoke to even used pressure and threatening tactics for me to take their puny offer - "if you keep moving up through the chain this offer will be taken off the table and you will get no offer". Horrible customer service! I intially started at the dealership, who spoke to the regional representative for me. I then called customer service and asked to speak to the supervisor - as I tried to move further, they would not move my call on - basically, take it or leave it. Honda did not seem to care about my financial burden for their product that had know issues to keep my car in good repair. Since I also had the transmission problem also with the same argument and dissappointment, I find their customer service and willingness to stand by their product disappointing. Horribly disappointed in my Honda!
  • drm6drm6 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like our situation exactly! I took their puny offer and went to the body shop they said I had to go to. The regional manager did her notes on one day and I went to the body shop the next day. The person at the body shop found tons more places that were peeling, but Honda refused to cover anything but what the regional manager had noted the previous day. They only paid 50% of the job for only the few places where the regional manager had noted. Fast forward a few years later and the Honda in my driveway is a peeling mess of a car. There are places on each part of the car that are bubbling or have bubbled and peeled off. One reason we bought a Honda was for the resale value. No one is going to buy this used car with paint peeling off. Never buying a Honda again and I can't believe they are continuing to get away with this with all the new people who have posted here.
  • drm6drm6 Member Posts: 3
    The way I found out about the peeling problem was an employee in the service department who showed me an internal service bulletin about paint peeling (on midnight blue odysseys) while I was there for service. You could ask about that service bulletin at your dealership. That didn't help us at all but maybe they will be more helpful at your dealership.
    When I asked about an extended warranty for my 2006 Odyssey I was told "there is no warranty extension at this time". Perhaps the only way to get Honda to stand behind their product is a class action lawsuit. They will just roll over individuals but there is strength in numbers and publicity.
  • susannacsusannac Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 started peeling a few months after the extended warranty ran out. My car only has 70,000 on it and I really don't want a new car. New spots keep appearing and I just found a huge patch on the roof that came off, is that what the rest of the car will look like?? I was told that I needed to get an estimate and maybe they would pay for a portion of the paint job. It was implied that only the patches that are peeling "may" be covered right now. I see midnight blue vans EVERYWHERE with huge patches coming off. I have driven my cars for years well beyond the 100,00 mark and have never had this happen. How do you start a class action suit?
    Make an appt with your regional service manager and gather as much info as you can about your recall online. Find out the body shop that your local Honda dealer uses and talk with them directly (don't make it known to Honda what you want to do; just that you'd like the # of the paint shop) Take your car to the paint shop and talk with the paint shop and they will tell you what they have been seeing as compared to your car. They won't want you to use their name directly (and I wouldn't) with Honda as a "witness" but when I did this, they told me all "Midnight Blue" Honda paints were bad; not just 2004; but each year after it and the cars peel like crazy. When you meet with the service manager back at Honda; stay organized and under control; with some backing and solid information. When I did this; he agreed to repaint areas in and out of warranty for me. Good luck.
  • kissmokissmo Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same situation. I saw a few bubbles forming 2-3 months ago but did not care too much. Last Sunday, during my care wash big chuck of paint just "smoothly" came off from the body. Mine is also the famous "Midnight Blue 2004". I am wondering whether I still try to get the partial discount for repair from Honda.
  • kruddykruddy Member Posts: 1
    Hi. We have a 2005 with the exact same problem. How do you get in touch with Honda other than through the dealer?
    Thanks
    I called Honda America just to report the problem. They'll tell you to go see a dealer. Then go ahead and take the Odyssey to a dealer and ask what they can do for you. Describe the problem as a paint to primer adherence issue. Also ask what Honda's regional manager's name is. My Honda dealer said they would paint the roof for $650 and the regional manager in my area agreed to pay all but $156 of that. The amount a regional manager might agree to depends on the condition of the Odyssey. Honda has several paint issues right now. Honda America is in denial and won't admit or acknowledge anything but call them anyway. The more complaints and publicity they get can only help nudge them to do what's right.

Honda America
    800-999-1009

Honda Automobile Customer Service
    1919 Torrance Blvd.
    Mail Stop: 500-2N-7D
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
  • ps909ps909 Member Posts: 1
    This is definitely an issue that American Honda needs to fix! A few years back they did recall the paint problem but they said it was only for the roof area and I had it fixed. But now the blue paint is peeling all over the van, from the front, back side.. I think there are more issues to the 2004 midnight blue model besides the paint. The vent windows in the back don't open when the weather is hot and when changing the radio station on the steering wheel it would turn up the volume instead of changing the station. I had this fix on my own expense but still the same problem. I am or I was a loyal Honda customer but if they are not acknowledging this problem then I loss me as a customer!!!
    I hope that enough people will complain to Honda because I too was a loyal Honda fan and WOULD like to continue getting Hondas in the future (having the best Honda/Acura mechanic helps ... not one at the dealers) ... but with this paint problem and how they are not acknowledging it at all really bothers me and worries me for future purchases. Maybe someone can start a website or blog posting pictures of various paint problems ... get more publicity on this to affect Honda sales enough that they might have to fix this for good!
    As far as I know; this peeling problem is unique to the midnight blue Honda's. I may be wrong in my assumption? I would not buy a midnight Blue Honda (any make) in the future. I agree with you about putting pressure on Honda. As I write this; I'm getting peeling on my front quarter panel. In the past, they have painted the rear gate, roof, parts of the sliding door, hood over the years due to this pealing.
  • tim1963tim1963 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Midnight Blue Oddessy. In August of 2011 I discovered that the paint was peeling above the passanger side sliding door. I contacted Honda Motors to complain, but they indicated that the warranty had been extended already for 7 years for this issue that I should contact the local dealer here in NJ. Well, the dealer called me before I had the chance to call them. They had me bring the car in as the regional service manager was coming into their dealership that week. He wouldn't cover the cost of repainting the small panel, but would cover 50% of it. Well it cost me around $125.

Now a year later, I'm discovering that the paint is now peeling from the roof and around the rear windows (also driver side). Not sure if it's worth going after them again as the van is approaching 10 years. It only has about 68K miles on it and was garage kept for all but the last year or so.
    I'm very disappointed in Honda in how they handled this. They had a problem and should just repaint at their expense the entire vehicle. I've owned other Honda's in the past including a present 2011 CRV. I may not by any other Honda's after this.
    I guess your CRV is still very new ... wondering if Honda's paint problem goes beyond Odysseys. The right thing to do is for them to pay for repainting the whole car and fix the problem in their factory for good. Seeing that so many years of Odysseys have this problem, I am not encouraged that they have done anything to fix this manufacturing problem. Maybe we can all submit reviews of our Odysseys everywhere we can find ... these days most car buyers would consult some kind of online reviews as part of their research before buying a car, right??
    I don't think it is anything but a midnight blue paint problem. My daughter has a 1998 GREY civic with zero paint problems. The local body shop tells me it is the color; regardless of year or model. Stay away from the Midnight Blue.
  • liberty1959liberty1959 Member Posts: 1
    WHITE PAINT PEELING ALSO... Very disappointed with Honda. The dealer tells me that the regional manager will not honor the recall for white paint. Started with small bubbles. I thought it was not a big deal, but now it is coming off in LARGE bubbles/sections - off the hood, around the windows and off of the roof....EXACTLY like the blue paint issue. Our non-Honda vehicles are holding up...the Honda Odyssey looks AWFUL. Want a new vehicle, but don't know if I'm willing to take a chance with another Honda, especially with the lack of accountability for their poor paint job....Come on Honda, own up! Do the right thing!
  • tim1963tim1963 Member Posts: 3
    My Odyssey has the midnight blue. I discovered it peeling after 8 years. Of course it was one year out of the paint warranty extension. The Honda regional service manager agreed to split the cost of painting the one small section that was peeling. A few months later I discovered additional areas peeling. Now 10 years after the fact the roof is even peeling. Further calls to just feel on deaf ears. I'm very disappointed on how Honda has delt with this known issue.
    It's not the paint, it's the primer. I understand that Honda used different primers for different paint color runs. According to what I have heard from auto paint professionals, the primer was of low quality and applied in such a way that resulted in poor adherence to the paint.