Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 vs Lexus IS 350

blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
edited May 2014 in INFINITI
This seems to be about as fair a comparo as I can come up with. The TMV price is about $34K for the Infinity G35Journey w/ premium package and $34,800 for the base IS 350. This is a fairer comparo than the IS250 as that's outgunned by the high HP G35. Both vehicles have the 300+HP V6s, sunroofs, and power seats. The G35 has the premium stereo, xenons, & memory seats. The IS has a more refined interior fit & finish(from what I've read, haven't seen it in person), a slightly better resale, and unlimited roadside assistance. Would really like to hear from those that have done a side by side comparo as I'm really leaning toward the G35 thus far.

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I compared these 2 vehicles and ended up deciding on the G35.
    My needs are most likely different than yours, but my deciding factors were the ridiculous size of the backseat in the IS.
    I have a 4 yr old daughter and another on the way.
    Although a car seat does fit back there, it tight.
    Also, with the driver's seat where I like it, friends cannot fit in the back with any level of comfort.

My other deciding factor was that I wanted AWD and the IS350 didn't offer it.
    The IS250, power wise, is a joke.

Speed, handling, resale value, reliability, and even fit and finish, are all very comparable in these 2 vehicles.

You'll need to drive both and decide for yourself.
    Only you know what your wants, needs and priorities are.

Good Luck!
  • carmonkeycarmonkey Member Posts: 32
    I test drove the G35x all wheel drive extensively and purchased the IS350. The IS350 handles better and is much faster than the G35. The back seat of the IS350 is smaller, but that's an acceptable sacrifice considering the IS350 is a complete generation beyond the G35 in technology. The IS350 has direct injection and a six-speed tranny and runs a low 14 to a high 13 in the quarter mile. Compare that to the sluggish G35! Additionally, I've seen the IS350 in action at an SCCA autocross and it performed great.

As a side note, I am a former Infiniti owner, and I can attest to the fact that Infiniti service tries to compete with Lexus service. But Infiniti falls short. Lexus service is not perfect. My local Lexus service department has made errors, but my local Infiniti service department was asinine and backwards compared to the Lexus service department.
    There is more to a car than just quarter-mile times.
    If that is all you care about, see the Edmunds review on the G.
    They got the G to run the quarter-mile in 14.1.
    Visit the other G forums and people are posting their time slips in the mid to high 13 range... stock.
    Sorry, but that is not "sluggish".

I don't think he was looking for race times.
    He was looking for people who have reviewed both cars and what their opinions may have been.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I have an IS350 and test drove the G35 before. I personally prefer IS350's more refined ride over G35's sharper handling. The more upscale interior (both quality and fit-n'-finish) is also a big plus for me. The new G35 is definitely not "sluggish" but is "sluggish-er" when compare to the IS350.

If one is interested, check out the R&T's February issue. IMO that comparo has hit it right on the money.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    You got to be kidding- A G35 RWD is sluggish-er than an IS350? If you tested both cars that statement is out right ridiculous.
    Maybe it came out wrong with my post but if you are interested, check out February R&T's comparo. That comparo pretty much took the words out of my mouth.
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    Thanks for the replies thus far, although it's not making this choice any easier, lol. Louiswei, do you have a weblink for that article, I tried searching Road&Track to no avail :(

BTW, test drove both cars last weekend and found both to be incredible driving vehicles. Both were very solid and quiet, didn't have a chance to take them on any twisty roads, just city streets and a little highway cruising so I have no idea which one would be better when pushed harder. So far the extra value of the G35 is tilting it ahead, since it's got several significant features for the same price point.
    There you go...

Asian Sports Sedans Comparo

The G35 will be more enjoyable on twisty roads. IS350 excels in comfort and straight line performance. The comparo did a very good job to point out each cars' pros and cons. At the end of the day, no one came out a loser. However, the IS350 did win the comparo though :P .
    Too bad my daily commute wasn't just a straight line with no turns or curves. :P
    Read the comparo, R&T did test all 3 cars on twisty roads as well. There are pictures as proof.

Well, if my daily commute consists the Nordschleife then I'll probably consider the G35 over the IS350. Otherwise, this is a moot point.
  • carmonkeycarmonkey Member Posts: 32
    Call my description what you want, but the G35x (all wheel drive) I test drove was sluggish compared my IS350.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    I;m glad you love your lexus but your statements are utterly stupid.. Lexus introduces a SPORTS sedan that you can't get with stick or AWD with the big engine and it cost More then a G35 that matches it with both power and luxury.. 0-60 and split times are really close, infiniti packages more as standard then the lexus.. Plus once you add up all the options you find out quickly who the real winner is.. congrats on the new new LExI and the higher payments. will take the G over anything in the class plus I can drive it in the winter.. Hope you like all those commercials your extra 3-5k payed for. :confuse:
    Congrats on your new G35x but due to the following reasons, IS350 is a better fit for me (and of course, many other peoples).

- Better quality material and fit-n'-finish for the interior (if you don't see this then the premium of the IS350 is totally worthless for you to pay).

- Smoother engine and slightly quicker pick up at low speed (again, if you don't see this then G35 is better for you).

- Exterior styling (subjective, I know).

- I don't need AWD and don't want manual tranny. I live in Atlanta and am moving to LA very soon so AWD is totally pointless for me. With the kind of traffic I have to face in those 2 cities I think auto tranny is the better option.
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    After weighing all the pros & cons we decided on a G35 Journey w/ premium pack. The extra back seat room is a definate plus as we do haul kids around alot and take friends out on the town quite often. The gas mileage is an issue, and I'm hoping w/ synthetic oil and keeping it easy on the pedal (so hard to do w/ either of these cars though) I may be able to squeeze around 26mpg on the highway. The IS was a blast to drive but so was the G, the diffrence in the driving experience was minimal IMO, both vehicles delivered performance in spades :) I like the exterior of the G better, and the grill is a nice finishing touch. The interior of the IS is the class leader and that's really what made the decision even harder. I did alot of depreciation comparison and surprisingly, the Infinity holds its' value almost as well as the IS. Factoring in the IS higher inital cost and lower volume (The IS 250's production #s are 5x higher than the 350s) the IS retains about 5-10% higher than the G, but the difference is negligeable when the lower Gs pricetag is figured in. The Xenons, premium stereo, dual driver memory settings for the price of a base IS sealed the deal. At any rate, both vehicles are sublime Sedans and it's hard to pick a loser here. thanks for the replies!
  • kc567567kc567567 Member Posts: 29
    I'm was looking at either a new ‘07 G35x or a used ‘06 IS350 myself ,,,, took a G35x out, pretty sweet I must say, even in snow ,,,,took out the IS350 a few days later and liked it as well. Up here in the Great White North (Canada) the spread between the 2007 G35 and 2007 IS350 (with NAV) is about $11,500cdn. That’s why I was dealing with a ‘07 G35 vs ‘06 IS350 situation ,,,,the price on the Lexus was still about $2K more expensive (but included 3.5K worth of winter rubber/mags/sensors/tinting).

The G35x was a little harsher ride than my former ‘01 IS300, and the newer IS350, but I think that’s a good thing. Ride quality is such a subjective thing it will be hard for anyone to convince you for sure one way or the other.

It came down to price at first ,,,,,, if the infinity dealer had been discounting to 1000-1500cdn over invoice and offered me a trade on the 2001 IS300 of 18K I would have gone for it. As it turned out I got 18K at lexus ,,,, the IS350 had 6000 miles and was only 9 months old so it was pretty new.

One of the main reasons I went Lexus ,,,, getting $18K trade value on a $45K msrp car that was almost 7 years old!!!! When you factor in local taxes saved by trading, I basically had $20K value after 7 years. What will a 7 year old G35 be worth?

I hope I was clear when I stated I liked both cars ,,,,,, I am pretty sure though, that 4 years from now I will still like the IS350 ( kind of sad to see the ‘01 IS300 sitting on the dealers lot ,,,,, it was a great car for me).

I liked dealing with Lexus as well. After all the negotiating was done, and the papers signed the sales guy pulls out a voucher and orders me a set of summer mats for N/C ,,,, says, “just noticed there were winter mats inside, looks better with the carpeted summers, we’ll get you some” ,,,,, nice touch.

KC
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    One assumes you don't have a regular need to transport actual adults in the back seat.

That, plus the lack of fold down rear seats, took the IS off my shopping list.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Will the upcoming IS-F solve some of the complaints on here? non folding backseats, smaller backseats,
    The IS-F is a high performance model os the IS350.
    This means more power, better braking, upgraded tranny, etc.

There is nothing on the lines of higher refinement on the IS-F, when comparing to the IS250/IS350.

So no, you will not be seeing extras like folding backets, more back seat room, etc.
    also the IS-F will be priced way out of the range..
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    yeah, I asked the question before I even looked into the details of the IS-F. I kind of know the answer now.

It's def way out there in price range too - I'm hearing like 60 grand or something. That's crazy
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Have an is250, lack of power is a big -ve for such a well built car. am thinking of getting either the 350 or the g, so far am leaning towards the 350. will be test driving both cars over the next week and will give my 2 cents on this topic. looks, i will give it to the 350, look at a white or light blue one, just look at the quality of the paint, compare with any g, the g does not come close. anyway, lets see how it goes in the next 2 weeks
    I agree... and I own a G.

I loved the IS and decided that was the car for me back in the beginning of 06.

Between the dealership being a complete nightmare to work with, not finding the exact model I wanted, and changes on the homefront, I was forced to put my purchase on hold.

While on hold, Infiniti came out with the new redesign 07 and it seemed to fill some of the wants I had, which the IS fell short on.
    It's roomier, offers AWD without a loss of power or fun, and with the redesign, wasn't so bad on the eyes.

I loved the IS's vented seats and the fit/finish, but the size and compromises for me were just too much for the price being paid.

Both offer some cool features that the other does not.

You can't really go wrong with either, as long as the back seat is no deal breaker for you.
    You're making a good decision in driving both though.

Good luck.
    I test drove both cars and they are all good cars, all are above par and offer better value for money than the competition. the infiniti dealerships are not as great as the lexus dealerships though but thats besides the point. Fit & Finish, smoothness & quiteness of ride, performance the Lexus wins. In terms of interior & trunk space, the G wins. The Lex goes for 4k more but given its more refined than the G, its worth it. The Lexus guys do not offer AWD, which is a bit of a negative for me, If there was an IS350 AWD, I would be driving that by now. I have decided to put off getting a new car till these cars get refreshed but one cannot go wrong with either one.
    If there was an IS350 AWD, I would be driving that by now.

Ditto ;)
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    The Lex goes for 4k more but given its more refined than the G, its worth it. The Lexus guys do not offer AWD, which is a bit of a negative for me, If there was an IS350 AWD, I would be driving that by now.

It might cost 1.5K to 2K to add the AWD. So, the total diff. w/ a AWD will be a little higher. :cry:
    To add to my "Ditto" above...

If the IS350 had an available AWD system, I would be driving one right now.
    This is because I started my car buying journey at the beginning of 2006, and didn't end up buying until I brought my G home in April of 07.

When I started looking, it was all about the IS.
    How do I get one with the options I want and the color combo I desired... and I desperately needed a dealership that didn't hire jerks and @$$es for salespeople.

While fighting the good fight for exactly what I wanted, the G came along with it's redesign and although it never appealed to me in previous years, the 07 was nice and the test drive sold me instantly.

Now that my daughter is going on 5 years old and we have another on the way, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. The back seat in the G is comfortable and there's plenty of room for my daughter back there.

The IS is a different story all together.
    For anyone toting around a whole family... the IS just doesn't cut it.
  • cklho818cklho818 Member Posts: 29
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=4461

Here's the data sheet:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/02073car.pdf

However, looking at the data is one thing, getting in to the actual cars and test them yourself is another. Only you will know what you wanted in a car. Comparion testings can only give you useful information to consider but cannot make the decision for you.
    These cars are so close in specs that nothing but the "butt dyno" and your personal taste can decide which is best for you.
    I need a 3 car garage and one of each! :blush:
    I own a 2007 g35x and I love the (look of) IS350 but I don't understand the comparison --for the money you have to compare the g to the is250 and from there the g wins in power and value.. The IS350 and BMW 335 are closer to comparison --but once again the lexus comes up short as its not available with either 6spd or AWD.. I really think that lexus completely missed the market with this car. What is it? A sports car without a manual transmission option (with the big engine) is just stupid--and dollar for dollar would you rather have a 335 auto or the IS350?? Lexus does have nice commercials, nice luxury feel and I hear the service is excellent but i would look elsewhere for 40 :sick: plus grand.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    You appear to have broken the code.

Well done! ;)
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    The service should be excellent.
    $85 for an oil change?!?

I guess somebody has to pay for all those low-fat mocha lattes. :P
    I hope Lexus will see your comments cos I believe there are genuine. Lex made a very good car with the IS, its got all the ingredients but the guys at Lexus dont seem to be motivated to sell more units. All they need is manual transmission and an AWD option. I will be one of the first ones in line for the AWD model. One thing for sure is that exciting times await cos Infiniti and/or Lex will dethrone the 3 series in the not too distant future, I am sure of it.
    All they need is manual transmission and an AWD option. I will be one of the first ones in line for the AWD model.

I'll see you there!
    None of those cars you mentioned are "sports cars". They are performance sedans. I really don't see the big deal of Lexus not offering manual tranny for IS350. If they do, it's a big plus, but that wouldn't make the car all of sudden a "sports car".

If the LF-A comes without a manual or DSG then you got a case against Lexus. Otherwise, no.
    Does this mean that the difference between a "sports car" and a "performance sedan" is 2 doors?
    Definitely not.

I wouldn't call a G37 and 335i coupe sports cars as well. These are made to be daily commuters and should be emphasized for its real-world, local and highway performance. Sports car on the other hand should be a track first, real-world second (or weekend fun) kind of car.
    how about "sports sedans" is that better?? And btw more and more of these cars are seeing track time along with there general duty of being transporters (most cannot afford a track first car). You spoke of the lexus IS-F in a previous post-- it will be another automatic (8 speeds) with no manual option to start (non planned).. now I ask the question again this time on the IS_F --what is it?? for 55-60k would you rather sport a IS-F or a AUDI S5/S4 or the bmw M3 --or even a new CTS-V (which will have 500hp)- all are sports cars (sports sedans) with massive amounts of power --but again lexus does not offer awd or a manual.. The pursuit of luxury is complete still aways to go in the pursuit of sport (or fun).. :shades:
  • skarieskarie Member Posts: 78
    I agree, Both the G37 and 335i coupes are not sports cars.
    The M3 IS-F & C63 sedan are all just a premium proformance vehicles...911, R8 GTR now those are sports cars.
    I can't afford a sports car. :cry:
    How about a low mileage (< 10K miles) Corvette? ;)
    Sports sedans are still not sports cars. I would bet my car key that most (more than 90%) of those RS4 and M3 you've mentioned spent most of their life time as daily commuters. I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of them have never seen a track.

Granted the IS-F probably should come with a manual tranny but since all the AMGs (including C63) are auto tranny equipped somehow I don't see people knocking on that. Also, if you read Edmunds' IS-F first drive article you'll find that the 8-speed tranny can shift as fast (if not faster) in manual mode than the F1 gearbox Ferrari has put on the F430. It can hold gear too by the way after the 1st gear.

For $55-60K I would never get one of those "sports sedans". If this is for my only car I'll just get a regular 3 or IS350 and save the rest for a house down payment. If this is for my second car then I'll either get a "real sports car" like the Corvette Z06 or Boxter/Cayman S.
    All I want for Christmas is a GT-R :P
    I saw the specs on that car, its a monster.
    It's also about $40K too rich for my blood. :sick:
    Which brings me back to my first comment...

I can't afford a sports car. :cry:
    I would bet my car key that most (more than 90%) of those RS4 and M3 you've mentioned spent most of their life time as daily commuters. I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of them have never seen a track. I would agree with that-- but take a ride to limerock ct and see what people with racing dreams are driving these days at speeds that only a track can handle.. VW PHOTONS, MINI Coppers, BMW 318is, honda civics are all represented.
    Well, if you want to call Honda Civics as sports cars then I rest my case...

Again, tracking a car doesn't automatically mean the car is a sports car.
    A Miata is a good start, not a thoroughbred sports car but very track-worthy. S2000 on the other hand is great for the tracks if you like a high screaming 200HP sports car. Both you can get for under $35K. Now is actually a good time to snatch a S2000 since it's end of its model cycle.
    -- never said they were sports cars-- but I did say they saw track time- again most people cannot afford a second/third car for "track use" - and these cars (is350, g, 335, s4, cts) afford some people 50% fun 50% transport out of there car. your "case" still unclear. --I do agree that the miati and the s2000 are good cars for the money.
    s2000 i think is 230-240 hp
This discussion has been closed.