Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Traction Control

lp343lp343 Member Posts: 1
Is there anyway to turn off the traction control?? Living in the "snowbelt" I have run into issues where the traction control kicks in and literally will not go anywhere. It would be nice to have the option like GM cars where you can turn this option off if needed.

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Do a search on the board here. There is a sequence of turning the key on and off, and something with the brake and parking brake.....which will turn the VSC off. Kind of like a special secret handshake. As I recall, it will then stay off until the next time you start the vehcile.

I printed it and keep it in my glove compartment, but don't have access to the vehicle for a week.
  • schroeder2schroeder2 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Sir, I have a 07 Camry that has the traction control. I too live in the snow belt and would like to turn off the TC. My last car was an Accord that I could turn it off with a switch. What is wrong with Toyota? Can you send to me the secret hand shake to turn off the TC?

Thanks much in advance!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    TC, Traction Control, and VSC, Vehicle Stability Control, serve two separate and indendent functions.

TC is used to abate wheelspin/slip that is the result of the driver using too much throttle for existing traction conditions. On a FWD vehicle TC is set to have HIGH sensitivity, QUICK reacting, since loss of traction on the driven wheels can also result quickly in loss of directional control.

TC will apply braking to both front wheels even if only one is slipping and will simultaneously dethrottle the engine so as to prevent subsequent rotor warpage resulting from brake overheating.

Before you resort to disabling TC you should always first try to get out of the situation by learning to "feather" the throttle yourself right up to the point of loss of traction but not beyond.

The simplest way to disable TC & VSC is to disconnect the MAF/IAT module while the engine is idling. The engine will stop, reconnect the MAF/IAT, restart the engine. You will now have a CEL (and by default a TC/VSC fault) for the next few drive cycles and meanwhile the TC system will be disabled.
    to disengage VSC:

1.) start the car with parking/emerg brake on.
    2.) all within 30 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal twice.
    3.) immediately, de-activate and re-engage the parking/emerg brake twice.
    4.) the VSC/trac light on the dash will light....the VSC/trac is now deactivated until you re-start the car.

Print these and store in your glove compartment
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    The above process did not work on my 2007 Camry V6 XLE. But I found the following elsewhere on the forums that did work. I have a weird braking issue and want to see if it is the VSC)

Once the car is started, you have thirty seconds to complete the process. With practice, the procedure can be completed in approximately fifteen seconds but, unfortunately, must be repeated each time the car is switched off.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.
    2. Start the engine.
    3. Engage the parking brake.
    4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    6. Disengage the parking brake.
    7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
    8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
    9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
    10. Release the brake pedal.
    11. Engage the parking brake.
    12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

When “Check VSC” is displayed in the multifunction display along with the “Trac-off” icon indicator, you’ll know that you have successfully completed the procedure.
    You could follow the advice I got years ago from the then service manager at Bellevue (WA) Lexus and simply disconnect the MAF/IAT sensor while the engine is idling. The engine will die, reconnect the MAF/IAT, restart the engine and be on your way. For the next few drive cycles you will have a meaningless CEL but a very meanful TC/VSC "fault".
    This sequence works fine. My wife thought I was having a fit or something watching me do it!

This did not solve my brake/stopping problem. I thought it did for a few trips, but now it is still there. Feels like drum our of round or bad pads. Can not figure it out. It does not happen all the time which is crazy. Any ideas?
    what are the symptoms of your 'weird braking problem' ??
    The problems do not seem to be there all the time.

When braking, and almost stopped it feels like the wheels are out of round. Like a flat spot. Also, notice it at higher speeds, but harder to describe.

Bought new tires, problem same before and after.
    Ask you brake below ~10 MPH, down to fully stopped, late model Toyota and Lexus FWD and F/AWD vehicles will upshift and you will feel a bit of a forward "lurch", feeling as if the brakes released slightly.

Is that the feeling you're trying to describe...??

These transaxles will do the same thing, upshift, as you coastdown, throttle closed and/or braking, below 40-30 MPH.

10-0MPH is often described as being bumped slightly from behind, and 40-30MPH as a "slingshot effect".
  • htiek0611htiek0611 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me what it means if the vsc and traction control lights don't come on when the key is in the on position