Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Electrical Problems

12346»

Comments

• alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Hard to tell. If you are asking if they are all on the same fuse, they are not. Have you checked the fuses for the circuits you are talking about?
  • lfirehawk92lfirehawk92 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Ford Expedition, just all of sudden one day my power windows, air vents/ A/C does not want to work. My dash lights, turn signals, 4 way flashers dont work when my headlights are on either. All it does is make clicking sounds and lights on my dash show up when I push my window buttons or turn on my vents. The weather is hot, and having no A/C or air vents is unbearable. :cry:
  • lfirehawk92lfirehawk92 Member Posts: 5
    Can someone please help me fix the problem I am having with my expedition? I posted once before about the electrical problems with my vehicle. I'm wanting to know if it is fixable to where I can do it myself or do I have to take it into someone to have it fixed. Mind you I am not "electrical " minded when it comes to my car. so, every possible help would be greatly appreciated.. :confuse: :)
  • dale77dale77 Member Posts: 16
    Firehawk:

Your problem does not resemble mine. Mine was caused by a leak in the weld on the drivers side in the windshield gutter underneath the rubber seal. Water had leaked in and caused problems in one of the electrical components. You should be able to find my posts that addressed the problem. However, I don't know if your problem is caused by the same thing.
  • shonalshonal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 expedition it keeps blowing the ignition relay it will just buzz from the fuse box on the passenger side, now it wotn start it is trying to turn over but just doesnt catch any ideas on what this might be it has a new alternater and battery.
  • shonalshonal Member Posts: 2
    Check your bearings had mine replaced and it worked great.
  • brokenford1brokenford1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same problem with my 2003 5.4 eddie bauer expedition. I replaced the entire fuse box due to melted/distorted connector on the back side. Takes about 1 hour and $500 bucks at Ford. Had to change the fuse box twice about every 75K miles. Got rid of the vehicle, just started falling apart.
  • aujpmaujpm Member Posts: 1
    After stopping to get gas, when I cranked my 2012 Ford Expedition, I could not shift out of Park. After trying seeral things, I pressed the TCS button and was able to shift from Park. However, then I lost sound on the radio and Sync and as I was driving I saw the displays on the dash come and go. Hoping that it would reset once I got home and turned the car off, I was disappointed to find that now the vehicle is parked in the garage and I cannot get it to shift out of Park. I have checked the fuse and taillights to make sure those weren't the problem and they weren't. Any suggestions--it's a holiday weekend and my vehicle is stuck in the garage!
  • teacher2321teacher2321 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2012 XLT. After driving a few days realized that none of the buttons on the steering wheel light so I can't see to use the cruise control or answer the phone in the dark. I have had two prior expeditions and both lit. Also, my gear shift is not lit so I cannot see what gear I am in in the dark unless it is reverse because the camera lights up. I have had it back to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong.
    I have also been communicating with Ford online. Today they told me they talked to the dealer and agree with what he says because he has been "trained". I can't imagine the technology has gone backwards and it is a safety hazard. Anyone have a 2012 expedition that can tell me if this is the same on your vehicle?
  • mrproducer13mrproducer13 Member Posts: 1
    i have 1997 expedition EB, the electrical problem has gone from bad to worse, it want to turn it self on when the key is out of the truck. the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. i had start in and move it all the time i had a clecking sound 2 time every second. then when i turned off the start would kick in every 5 seconds. until disconnect the battery? any ideas?
  • briangothardbriangothard Member Posts: 1
    Good morning,

2001 Ford Expedition

I left the lights on and the battery was dead. I jumped the vehicle and it started right up. When I disconnected the jumper cable, the vehicle died. I reconnected the cable and it will not turn over. No ignition, no lights, no horn. I let it charge for a few minutes before I disconnected the cable again.
    Battery output is at about 9V.
    I have the Owner's Guide with the fuse charts.
    All of the fuses under the dash are still good. I can hear a faint, steady, slow (one per second maybe) ticking at the box like a relay but I cannot determine the particular one.
    All of the fuses in the Power Distribution Box under the hood are good (Mini and Maxi.)
    I removed the Maxi fuse for the "Junction Box Battery Feed" and get 9V across the terminals.
    I removed the Maxi fuse for the "Ignition Switch Battery Feed (Run/Start Circuit)" and get NO voltage across the terminals.

I am going to try to find a schematic and continue troubleshooting, but I was hoping someone could shorten my search. I am a computer guy, not a car guy, so electricity doesn't bother me. I just don't know the flow to trace in sequence.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brian
    When is the last time you replaced the battery? A good battery's output should be around 14V.
  • steven760steven760 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a bad starter solenoid. Make sure to buy this part from ford. I had same problem with a cheap solenoid from an auto parts store. Which ended up breaking 3 starters. Do not let it continue to try and start or it will burn up your starter.
  • firstwatchmanfirstwatchman Member Posts: 14
    maybe someone can help my 97 expedition 5.4 alternator wont charge battery alt. tests out good and so does the battery ive went through and cleand all pos. and neg. connections and grounds tks to anyone that can help
  • whitesmokewhitesmoke Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer edition expedition with the 5.4 .... My driver and passenger seats do not adjust or do they heat but the little orange light comes on .... My mirrors do not adjust except the passenger mirror .. It will move in but that's it .... My peddles will not adjust .... All fuses are good not sure what the problem could bee ... Please help
    I had a similar issue on my 2003, in my situation there was a broken wire in the harness that feeds the control module that has all of those items in common. Took a dealer 3 hours to find the issue, they were just baout to run a new supply to the module. I think the module is under the seat.
    Not likely to get any help here unless someone on the Expedition electrical problems forum also happens to have a Pilot EX with nail polish smell
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hm, thought that one got removed after the post was made over in the Pilot forums. Probably an electrical glitch, lol.
  • 2818micheal2818micheal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 eddie bower when I bought it 2 years ago it worked perfect but my kids started playing with the sunroof and left it cracked open . I then ran it through a carwash and well I got soaked and so did the truck. The truck started draining the battery no codes in computer , I changed the battery 1st then the alternator. all of a sudden the truck says to check the charging system but the battery and alternator check out fine, now the radio isn't working properly volume control doesn't always work properly the only way to keep the battery charged is to disconnect the battery every time I turn the truck off the drain takes about 8 hours on a full charge. HELP PLEASE!!!!
  • 99expedition99expedition Member Posts: 2
    i had the same issue replaced the blinker switch fixed it for a couple months. Today i discovered the real problem. the wiring harness going into the blinker multi funtion switch was the problem. the metal pins do not stay put in the plastic plug, and every time you adjust the tilt steering it slightly pushes and pulls on the wires. if you take the plastic off the colum take needle nose pliers and push each wire securely into the plastic plug on top by the hazards button. im assuming this is the reason some peoples rear wipers stop working and then the expedition catches on fire........ i think this should be a class action lawsuit. once i pushed each wire firmly in place problem was solved i adjusted the tilt where i want it and then removed the stick for the tilt wheel until i can get a new pigtail for the blinker multi function switch.
  • 99expedition99expedition Member Posts: 2
    i would take the plastic off the colum unplug each connector make sure its dry and put dielectric grease in it.
  • ctastevectasteve Member Posts: 2

@2818micheal said:
    I have a 2004 eddie bower when I bought it 2 years ago it worked perfect but my kids started playing with the sunroof and left it cracked open . I then ran it through a carwash and well I got soaked and so did the truck. The truck started draining the battery no codes in computer , I changed the battery 1st then the alternator. all of a sudden the truck says to check the charging system but the battery and alternator check out fine, now the radio isn't working properly volume control doesn't always work properly the only way to keep the battery charged is to disconnect the battery every time I turn the truck off the drain takes about 8 hours on a full charge. HELP PLEASE!!!!

• ctastevectasteve Member Posts: 2

I can help !!!! on the ps r/ door.. Lift up the plastic footstep in the door jam right next to the rug just pull hard and lift and look for water and a wire harness if wet... keep plastic off and heat or air dry ..

• leavingjupiterleavingjupiter Member Posts: 1
    - SOLUTION FOUND -

For combined problem : Advantrac not working + 4x4 flashing + heated seats no power + headlight daylight sensor disabled + radio stays on when door opened + more

- CAUSE -
    There is a purple wire splice, under the driver door sill-plate, that is likely corroded at the splice. This wire is the UBP feed to the communication bus from the affected modules. It mimics some of the symptoms that occur due to moisture on the GEM module, so if the above description suits your problem, then it likely is the corroded splice.

- FIND and REPAIR -
    Remove the plastic sillplate / footplate. Cut away the black wire bundle wrapping. Find the purple wire that is spliced to two purple wires. Pull the wires with force at either end of the splice, if they come apart, cut back the wires and splice. If they don't come apart, then carefully cut away the heatshrink to inspect the splice, if it's okay, then remove the metal plate along the door sill and continue to inspect the wire rearward, and then follow the wire forward and up the column.

If you google for "ford expedition purple splice advantrac seats" you should be able to find similar posts. Good luck.
    Leaving_Jupiter
  • ShawnaShawna Member Posts: 2
    98 Ford expedition with warning lights 4x4, AWD, Low Range and Low Wash popping on and off randomly.

Clicking sound intermittently (relay area???) Or by steering wheel area..

Causes windshield wipers front and back intermittently work or shut off, as do power windows, windshield wipers and windows both do not work at the same time when this happens.

Now dome light clicking on and off. Dome light stays off when door closed.

Bad relay? Window leak? Puzzled where to start. Some people say electrical, some say could be a relay? Bad fuse? Leak?
  • ShawnaShawna Member Posts: 2

98 Ford expedition with warning lights 4x4, AWD, Low Range and Low Wash popping on and off randomly.

Clicking sound intermittently (relay area???) Or by steering wheel area..

Causes windshield wipers front and back intermittently work or shut off, as do power windows, windshield wipers and windows both do not work at the same time when this happens.

Now dome light clicking on and off. Dome light stays off when door closed.

Bad relay? Window leak? Puzzled where to start. Some people say electrical, some say could be a relay? Bad fuse? Leak?