Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Transmission Questions

13»

Comments

• Options
    oahuboyoahuboy Member Posts: 8
    tried starting the car this morning..won't start. Blinking D4 light i think is the problem. Ive been fine driving with it when the light just wouldn't show when it was in D4 gear..All the other gears light up just not that one. But now i believe its the reason i can't start the car..Need help
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've seen this post in lots of forums... what year is your car? How many miles are on it? 4-cylinder or V6? Does it turn over at all?
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Chances are, your transmission computer is toast. To be sure, you can take the cover off of the computer, and if you see black spots on the circuit board, the capacitors have leaked all over it shorting it out. If you know how to repair circuit boards (there are how-to's on the web), you could fix it, but most people find a used computer from another car. A new computer, from Honda will cost a bundle. The numbers on the replacement computer have to match, and if you buy a used computer, make sure it's good before you pay for it. Another tell-tale sign, is if the D4 light stays on constantly, even when in park.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Mr_Shiftright has replied to you here.
  • Options
    oahuboyoahuboy Member Posts: 8
    my car is a 93 lx 4cylinder..it sounds like its about to start just it won't start.
  • Options
    silviodsilviod Member Posts: 13
    I am thinking of buying a 2001 honda accord I4 cyl. semi loaded, it has 140,000km on it. The couple is trading it in for a Altima 2.5
    The dealer (my cousin) will give it to me for $4500.00. Any suggestions on this model?
    i have a 89 accord and its great i have 360,000 on it and it keeps going.

Should i get the extended warranty or not? I hear the newer models are not soo great. True or false?

Thank you

Sil
  • Options
    Sounds like a good price to me, assuming the car is in good condition with a clean title. There is also a prices-paid forum for Honda Accords if you search the threads; more people there might could help you make a decision.
  • Options
    jeneyjeney Member Posts: 9
    Are you aware Honda had a major recall on the Accord 2001 Automatic Transmission. They replaced my transmission at no cost to me at about 60K miles. You should check to see if you are covered under this warranty before spending any money on it.
  • Options
    Did a vin check and everything is ok. No issues with honda canada.
  • Options
    Did a VIN checkand called honda canada and they said there was no recalls on the tranny. They just replace the SRS sensor for free and thats it

One thing i noticed, the when i start the car the driving lights come on(perfect) but the high beam lights is on too, is that common?????

silvio
  • Options
    HEy guys, LOL don't laugh. I bought the honda accord 2001, but I can't find the ash tray LMAOOO i know its dumb. Was it an option in 2001? Even the lighter is not in the car. God i feel dumb asking this question
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I'm not exactly sure when they stopped (sounds like as far back as 2001) but Accords don't have ashtrays and lighters any longer.
  • Options
    rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Starting in 2010, Accords no longer have glove box or ambient lights either. More cost-cutting. Thanks, Honda ---- for nothin'.
  • Options
    I'm quickly learning that my '06 Accord will be my last.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    The GENVIII I test drove (con cuatro cylindros Senor) - altho the same $23.4 price as my 6M when new in 2005 - really did not have the same fuel economy AND performance persona.

Looks like I'll be saving my USNR bread for the eventual timing belt/water pump/plugs/valve adjust expense...............maybe $1200?

Yeah, I like the 6M. (What's - IMHO - not to like?)

ez....
  • Options
    jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    Dealer installed options, both the ashtray and lighter in 2001. For the gen8 Accord, the ashtray is a cup style that uses the one cup holder.

Here is a source with a nice picture - you can see that the ashtray replaces a piece of dash trim from the looks of it:
    http://tasauto.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=2877711

another source:
    http://www.ahfmotorsports.com/product/ahfcat-05d.html

It looks like there may be some minor installation required.

H and A doesn't list it anymore for the 2001 year.
  • Options
    blue_boyblue_boy Member Posts: 52
    "Starting in 2010, Accords no longer have glove box or ambient lights either. More cost-cutting. Thanks, Honda ---- for nothin'."

My 03 Pilot lacked the ambient lights while my wife's 09 Accord has them. Finding the garage door button in the dark is much easier/nicer than with the Pilot. We had commented how much nicer. I know it is a small thing but small things add up. Not such a good move on Honda's part eliminating the lights on the 10. It seems like an unreasonable thing for them to do to me. Also, I would like memory seats and a little more quietness (09 is not terrible but not the best) but no, Honda knows best. Hopefully, more/better competition will cause them to wise up.
  • Options
    discofueldiscofuel Member Posts: 2
    The only car I want is an Accord. A few days ago I found the perfect car - 2000 Accord Coupe EX V6 and was just about to buy when I found about all the transmission problems, recalls and lawsuits.

How common is this really? A mechanic told me that between 1998-2002 it was as high as 30% with the V6 models.

However, on www.hondaproblems.com it says that 2003 was the worst year for transmission failure.

So I am now looking at a 2004 (which I don't like as much as the 2000) but still reading about transmission recalls.

On edmunds.com it says the Accord is the most reliable car ever made but from all the stuff I've read it really doesn't sound like it.

I really want an Accord but confused and concerned about transmission problems so if anyone can clear this up it would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    larjoranjlarjoranj Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 LX automatic, 4-cyl. Bought it new and have 190000 miles on it and have never spent a dime on it. Runs and shifts like new.

I also have a 2000 SE auto, 4-cyl that I bought used in 2005 with 82,000 miles on it. The transmission went at 89,000. I read online Honda was replacing them so I called the local dealer and they put a brand new one in free. They told me Honda was warranting 2000 and 2001 models for 100,000 miles and 10 years. That car now has 160,000 on it and it's never had another problem.

I don't know if they offered the transmission warranty on later models.

As far as general reliability goes, I've owned 6 Accords ( 3 new and 3 used) since the early 80's and put an average of 175,000 miles on them before trading or selling and the transmission in the 2000 is the only major repair I've had. In fact, I've never had an engine related repair. Never had an oil leak.

What I read about the current model and brakes concerns me, as I'm in the mood for a new one now, but in my experience with previous models they are almost unbreakable.

Not sure any of that helps you but I wish you good luck.
  • Options
    rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    It's no secret that Honda has had a bunch of troubles with their automatic transmissions for many years now. However, there have been no safety issues, so Honda has done their best to keep things swept under the carpet--no recalls, etc. The flip side is that they usually take care of transmission problems when they arise, in some cases even if the warranty has expired.

This doesn't mean that they are ALL bad, nor that any one type of vehicle has more problems than others. It's a bit of a crap shoot when you are buying a used car, but there is one saving grace. If you take the VIN number to the service dept in any Honda dealer, they can look up the vehicle's history and tell you whether or not the transmission has been repaired or replaced. Perhaps that may ease your concern or perhaps not, as there's still no guarantte that the vehicle you happen to buy won't have it's transmission fail as soon as you leave the dealer.

BTW- Most Toyotas are not much better.

Good luck and do your homework. ;)
  • Options
    Most of the problems with automatic transmissions were on the V6 models. Only a small percentage of Accords sold are V6 models. I have an 03 V6, and there was a recall on the transmission. The dealership installed a "jet kit" to prevent the 2nd gear from overheating. I now have 75k miles on the car, and the transmission is still going strong. There is no doubt, Accords have had automatic transmission problems, including the 2000 model, but Honda usually works with customers, and at least pays a portion of the bill. I think that's the main reason you haven't heard more about this issue.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    edited March 2010
    Hi Discofuel,

My 95 Accord EX I4 ran until it reached 200K plus miles with no transmission issue. But my 2002 Accord EX V6 got issue with transmission at about 90K miles. But I fixed it. My other Accords V6, '03, '05 and '08 V6 EX-L (all V6 Accords) have great transmissions. I am mostly happy with the most compact transmission of my Accord '08 V6 EX-L. My next car will be another V6 EXL Accord (Contour) or Acura TL.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you are the original owner, and your Accord's transmission goes out on you, only after you have driven it 150,000 miles. You are more likely to pay for a new transmission, without too much grief. Thinking you got your money's worth out of that transmission. On the other hand, if you buy an Accord used, with 135k miles on it, and the transmission goes out at 150k, you are more likely to be disgruntled. If you have only driven the car 15k miles, you're thinking, I got screwed. Two cars, with trannys that went out at the same mileage, but two different reactions to it. You are also more likely to get help (good will) from Honda, if you are the original owner.
  • Options
    blue_boyblue_boy Member Posts: 52
    Our 1998 v6 Accord Sedan is still in our extended family and going strong. No transmission problem at all. It is a very dependable car. Actually, no problems at all with it.
  • Options
    joeaiutojoeaiuto Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1994 Accord manual shift that bucks when i get to 2500 rpms in any gear when the car gets warm. It subsides when i shift to a different gear but starts again when i hit 2500 rpms. I've changed the fuel filter, vtec solenoid and the throttle plate position air sensor.

Any suggestions? thx.
  • Options
    discofueldiscofuel Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    For what its worth (most likely very little):

Only car I ever experienced that with turned out to have a problem with the combination air flow / map sensor - and was a SFI four cylinder Ford.
  • Options
    hmcsfhmcsf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Accord SE. At 90000, my transmission died and Honda replaced it under the extended warranty. Now, at 133000 mi, I once again need a new transmission. The dealer says the 2nd transmission is no longer covered under the warranty, i.e, warranty did not reset with placement of 2nd transmission. I can't help but feel this is unfair. Am I only to expect my supposedly brand-new transmission to last 43000 mi? This experience has really soured me on Hondas. I thought after my first transmission was replaced, that I was going to be able to drive my Accord for a good long time but that's not gonna happen unless I fork over $3000. Do I have any other recourse or should I just let my Accord finally rest in peace?
  • Options
    So you expect your warranty to cover the car until when? Forever? 10 years, and 100k miles should be long enough, don't you think? After that, you should be on your own, IMO.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I think the OP's point was that the second transmission only lasted 4300 miles. A legit gripe, methinks. Maybe not if it was a rebuild or used.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    While 43,000 miles is not a long life, it is true the warranty does not reset for the replacement.

On that note, of company issued vehicles I have had over the years (hauling about 500lbs of stuff all the time):
    1996 Dodge Caravan - trans literally blew at 93,000.
    1998 Ford Windstar - first trans at 37,500 - second at 77,000.
    2000 Ford Windstar - first trans at 31,000 - made it to replacement Astro at 78,000.
    -------------
    And all those Chrysler vehicle owners in the early 90's with the ultradrive unit (had a 1990 Dodge Spirit ES - 28,000miles trans failure - warranty.

So, my argument is that a weak design, is still weak, even if rebuilt. So when you have a vehicle that has a known weak major component, that was replaced under warranty, get rid of it. Otherwise, be prepared to replace it again.

I have a heavy footed driving style, so if something major like that is trouble prone, I expect it to occur.

At the age and mileage of your car, it's a tough choice. If possible, find a cheaper alternative such a a private garage and a salvage yard trans. Then sell it. Otherwise the push tow or drag it promos start to sound good.

My mother put 2200 dollars into her 1999 accord lx-v6 last year. At 90k it had a cracked head (never overheated). That was around 40% of its book value (private sale) at the time.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think the OP's point was that the second transmission only lasted 4300 miles

I'm sure the replacement was warranted for 4,300 miles, but not 43,000. Unless I read the zeros wrong. Actually, Honda didn't have to pay for the first replacement. Give them an inch, and they want a mile.
  • Options
    wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    As one who had 4 transmissions in a 2000 accord 4 cylinder I can tell you that the replacement (rebuilt) transmissions come with a 36/36,000 warranty. You were very lucky to get 43k on a rebuilt one. At 123k miles my honda transmission is still under warranty. I look at the rebuilt transmissions almost like throw away transmissions, but honda keeps paying for them.
  • Options
    klov46klov46 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 93 accord and now my car is not shifting at ALL! it will start from 4th gear and take forever to accelerate and get to like 45MPH. i think the tranny fluid is low but im not sure. any help would be appreciated!
  • Options
    I think the transmission fluid dipstick is located down low, on the radiator/front side of the transmission, and that it has a yellow handle. Is the D4 light blinking or on all the time? Here's a link on Honda transmissions (mainly 4th gen Accords). Read up, and good luck.
    http://www.techautorepairs.com/transmission.html
  • Options
    bamse39bamse39 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Accord LX automatic has had a clattering, thumping sound under the engine for years, and it's getting worse. It's more substantial than a rattle, but doesn't feel like a loose engine mount. It seems independent of the drive train and the exhaust system. Something in the suspension, I'd guess. It reacts to bumps in the road, but can occur on smooth roads too. My regular mechanic is stumped. Any ideas?
  • Options
    mzangel7mzangel7 Member Posts: 1
    Have had my car for 7yrs. now and noticed the transmission begin to slip bout a lil over a yr. ago and finally 2 months ago, it finally played out...so, I brought a $1100 used one from a salvage and let my uncle put it in...after he put it in he said that it wasn't any good...he said it was barely pulling and straining to change out...so, I took it back to the salvage, and was told that he wired it up wrong and that they will re-wire it correctly and I should be good to go....went to pick up my car and after driving it for about 30mins. or so, my speed broke down from 60mph to about 45mph on da highway, my idle needle went up to about 4 and the car barely wanted to pull....so, I took it back to the salvage the next day, then they told me, (after re-checking it for the 2nd time) that b/c he "wired" it up wrong it messed up the solenoid shift gear which burned out the transmission and if I want another transmission, I have to pay for another one...so my question: Is it possible to wire a transmission up wrong and this will happen or did they just sell me a bad transmission and to keep from gettin me another transmission or taking the blame for it b/c they didn't put it in, so there wasnt nothing else they could do....need to know before I try to take them to small claim court....did I just lose out on $1100 in less than a wk????
  • Options
    wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    :mad: :mad: FWIW Honda does NOT put new trannys in your car. They put in REMANUFACTURED ones. SEE your Warranties book that comes with the car. Page 32 says: Starters, alternators, brake calipers, power steering pumps, ABS modulators, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, and driveshafts. If it was really new it would be warranted for a longer period of time than 3 years or 36K miles. HONDA HAS NOT GOTTEN THEIR TRANNNY PROBLEMS RESOLVED!!!!
    My 2007 had a leak within one year and less than 8000 miles on the odometer. It was finally replaced at 21xxx miles. I had to go several times so they could "monitor the leak" when they should have replaced it. Finally they did, but now I only have a 3 year -36K mile warranty not the original 5 year 60K warranty. No the replacement tranny will not last so I plan to dump it well before it get me in trouble. I'M FINISHED WITH HONDA CRAPPY $%^&*((!!!!!!!
  • Options
    vbrownzvbrownz Member Posts: 1
    Hi I got a Honda accord Euro R 2001, 2.2 ltrs, 5 speed, 95000 k's done, couple of days ago I am facing problem with its transmission while reversing the car the reverse gear dislocated and slip and some time stuck and make crap noise. I have to keep holding the gear lever all the time while I am reversing otherwise it slip to Nuteral.When I took the car to the Dealer he said the gear box broken and I have to replace it, that cost me atleast $ 2,000.00. Can anyone suggest me what to do ?

thanks
  • Options
    atosj153atosj153 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

What model years for the Honda Accord have compatible transmissions with the 2002 2.3l I4 SE Accord? I am having the typical problems that Honda decided weren't important enough to address, and I'm trying to find out what omdels I can pull a tranny off of from the junk yard. Also, does anyone know the exact model of the transmission used in this particular model?

Thanks much!

Rob
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It LOOKS like 2001 and 2002.

Try going to www.car-part.com and put in the year, make, and model, and part you're searching for (transmission) then choose to search ALL US. You don't need ZIP or anything. When you see the list of available parts, you'll only get a list of items that work for your vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    atosj153atosj153 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much, I appreciate the help!