Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Transmission Problems

1234568»

Comments

• just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53
    My wife has a 2012 Sonata Limited and since day one when you push on the gas gently the car has a vibration or grunting sound. I took it back but it never does it for the dealership. They did put a clamp on the gas line to the fuel injectors but that made no difference. This problem is very annoying and I will not buy another Hyundai unless they can figure this out soon. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
  • xenmechanicxenmechanic Member Posts: 2
    I have an 09 and it did it at about 49K and it was the ground bundle for the transmission control felt like a stuck valve body or a broken band.

and the ECM Prom update will help diagnostics in the future it can happen over and over due to vibration according to the dealer-- why because locktight cannot be used to keep the faster stable it would cause resistance in the system and error codes up the ying yang
    best of luck yall and drive safe
  • xenmechanicxenmechanic Member Posts: 2
    the air intake has a water catch for driving in inclimate weather it may be loose or disengaged and can make the grunting sound you are hearing check it out under the primary air intake...
  • just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53
    Xenmechanic:
    Thanks for your help. I am taking the Sonata back next week and the dealer said he needs it all day. Hopefully they can fix it this time. I will show them your posts.
  • joto1000joto1000 Member Posts: 22
    I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same issues as I am with my 2013 Sonata 2.4L? Ever since my trasmission temperature sensor went out at 11,000 miles there has been a persistant clicking/ knocking noise against my gear shift mainly when I'm stopped. Occassionally, I will hear and feel it while I'm driving. This knocking noise can actually be heard 30 minutes after my car has been turned off as well. Not sure what it is, but afraid to take it back into the dealer cause I do not trust them one iota after all the issues I've been having. Thoughts?
  • divinetruthdivinetruth Member Posts: 6
    Hi these are the prices I am getting for 2013 and 2014. I have decided to go with 2013.
    2013: Internet Price** $25,079.00
    Destination & Handling $830.00

2014: Internet Price** $25,965.00
    Destination & Handling $830.00

This price is with AHFC only. grad and military rebate are extra. I am in MD. Only for in stock vehicle. colors available are kona coffee, white, black and twilight blue and polished metal. I like the prices.
  • just1sparkjust1spark Member Posts: 3
    Ok, hope this is an easy answer.
    I just picked up an 03 Hyundai Sonata V6 Automatic.

I noticed its running about 2100rpm at 60mph.
    And fuel mileage seems a bit low.

What is normal cruising RPM for this car?

If it wont get any better gas mileage than my 03' Dodge truck with Hemi (20-21mpg) then this things going in the dang junk pile!
  • tonyg2016tonyg2016 Member Posts: 728
    how many speeds is the AT?

better info here:
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/y2-ef-1989-2005-sonata/
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

If it wont get any better gas mileage than my 03' Dodge truck with Hemi (20-21mpg) then this things going in the dang junk pile!

You probably have an "O/D off" button"--hit that, and if the car downshifts, then you were in overdrive and that's all you get. 2100 rpm sounds about right at 60 mph but I'm not sure about that.

It's a 4-speed automatic and the EPAs estimate of combined city/hwy is about 22 mpg for the V-6.

So I think the car is performing as it was meant to.

• just1sparkjust1spark Member Posts: 3

You probably have an "O/D off" button"--hit that, and if the car downshifts, then you were in overdrive and that's all you get. 2100 rpm sounds about right at 60 mph but I'm not sure about that.

It's a 4-speed automatic and the EPAs estimate of combined city/hwy is about 22 mpg for the V-6.

So I think the car is performing as it was meant to.

Thanks for the insight. /
    There is no OD button that I can locate.
    RPM and speed seem about right, so maybe it is what it is.
  • adrianlew1973adrianlew1973 Member Posts: 2
    I just got the car from VW dealer and it says transmission fluid was changed 5k miles ago. But when I look at the fluid its brown not red anymore.. could it be that the not change it.. I don't believe it would go dirty after 5k miles, unless the mixed it up with the kitchen and put extra virgin oil :( haha
    You can't go strictly by the color--if it's no longer bright pinkish but a kind of reddish brown that doesn't mean there's anything particularly wrong with it. You might want to drip it onto a piece of white paper to get a better look. If it were very dark brown or blackish, that's a problem.
  • Ajay_1987Ajay_1987 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Sonata 4cl. And out of know where it just started stalling when i put it into Gear.. Either Drive or Reverse.. Starts right up fine in Park or Neutral.. But have to give it gas and put it into drive so it doesnt stall.. But runs like crap like it has no power and when yiu maintain ur speed a very loud vibration noise happens until I let go of gas or give it more gas.. Please Need Some Help Asap. It doesnt shift hard or anything. It shifts fine. Car doesnt overheat. Made sure theres plenty of Tranny Fluid in there.. I know my Check Engine Light is On and The Code Scanner Reads Code P0449. Which is Evaporative System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction. The evaporative control.. Canister Vent Valve Solenoid. Not sure t
    If that would actually cause the Car to completely stall everytime u try to put it into Gear. But thats the only code that comes up. And I reallllllly need peoples opinion to hopefully figure this out because I brought it to the small garage where i bougjt the car n they said its the Transmission but I think there just wanna make money. Bc i honestly 100% dont think its that. It just one morning started stalling in Drive or Reverae n drove like [non-permissible content removed] ever since. Befire that even the day befite it drove GREAT.. shifted and still does shift great no awkward noise coming from engine or tranny.. Please Help. Thank You. And if you really no answers to my Questions please text me at 207-520-7678. Willing to Pay if can Help with Any Information leading to a Fix.. Thank You Very Much.. AJ
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Ajay_1987 said:

I have a 2009 Sonata 4cl. And out of know where it just started stalling when i put it into Gear.. Either Drive or Reverse.. Starts right up fine in Park or Neutral.. But have to give it gas and put it into drive so it doesnt stall.. But runs like crap like it has no power and when yiu maintain ur speed a very loud vibration noise happens until I let go of gas or give it more gas.. Please Need Some Help Asap. It doesnt shift hard or anything. It shifts fine. Car doesnt overheat. Made sure theres plenty of Tranny Fluid in there.. I know my Check Engine Light is On and The Code Scanner Reads Code P0449. Which is Evaporative System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction. The evaporative control.. Canister Vent Valve Solenoid. Not sure t
    If that would actually cause the Car to completely stall everytime u try to put it into Gear. But thats the only code that comes up. And I reallllllly need peoples opinion to hopefully figure this out because I brought it to the small garage where i bougjt the car n they said its the Transmission but I think there just wanna make money. Bc i honestly 100% dont think its that. It just one morning started stalling in Drive or Reverae n drove like [non-permissible content removed] ever since. Befire that even the day befite it drove GREAT.. shifted and still does shift great no awkward noise coming from engine or tranny.. Please Help. Thank You. And if you really no answers to my Questions please text me at 207-520-7678. Willing to Pay if can Help with Any Information leading to a Fix.. Thank You Very Much.. AJ

You find the problem?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima