Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Infiniti G35

Comments

• jeffwilsonjeffwilson Member Posts: 45
    For anyone considering a remote starter (which costs about $900!), I wanted to let you know that the car starts fine, but when you open the dorr the engine turns off. You then have to start it again. It sounds nad feels stupid, but the company that Infiniti hires to install them says that it is necessary. It seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the engine and it feels really stupid to get into a car and have it immediately shut off, but that's the way it is.

Jeff :confuse:
  • ggs2ggs2 Member Posts: 18
    i am wondering about edmunds true cost to own on the g35. according to this the g35 is extremely expensive to maintain, but this car is generally considered to be very reliable. interesting that the audi a4 and saab9-3 are less expensive to maintain based on the true cost to own. i am also considering the acura tl which i believe was somewhere in the mid-range on this scale. i would very much like to get any input from owners of the above mentioned cars. also, would you folks buy an infiniti when the closest dealership is roughly 2 hours away? thanks for any and all input.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    My dealer is 90 minutes away. I also was very much on the fence and was super close to buying a TL Type-S... but after the G test drive, I was hooked.
    I've been back to the dealer a few times, for TSB's and oil changes, but plan on doing oil changes myself in the summer, and at Nissan in the winter. The dealership is only needed for warranty work or repairs specific to the G itself.

As for cost of ownership, the G drinks a little more gas than the TL, but it's worth it... that car is an absolute blast in comparison. For maintenance costs, I think any numbers you see now are based on the previous generation and not accurate anyway. Previous years, especially the X model, were horrible on brakes. (Not an issue anymore) Also, most maintenance costs are based on what the maintenance schedule in the manual states, and what the dealer charges. Most of these "maintenance inspections" can be done yourself and the actual maintenance cost is much less ...and only really reflected by out of warranty repairs.
    The G has a great warranty, a great reliability rating and I think you should base your decision on what car makes your heart thump harder... and not on just maintenance costs.

BTW, Mine is almost ayear old now and has 12,000 flawless miles. (as it should be) ;)

Good luck!
  • amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    I'm thinking about getting a used 06 G35, but my main concern is the poor gas mileage the car gets. I here its abysmal. Have that improved on the 08's?

I think gas mileage is a very important consideration when it comes to purchasing a car. I don't care how fun the car is to drive. I don't like making Bush and Cheney richer than they already are. :cry:
  • joe_bassjoe_bass Member Posts: 15
    It's a performance sedan, 306hp is going to go through some gas. If MPG is such a big concern just stick you head out the window, and yell wheeeeeeee!!!!!, while you are driving downhill in your Prius, on your way to the polls to vote for John Edwards.
    LOL... hey, I like the new guy! :P
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Wow..someone actually used these forums to make a political statement. LOVE the reply Joe ! !
    Yeah, couldn't believe someone was trying to make the G35 all political either. :confuse:

As far as I'm concerned the G35 should have overwhelming bi-partisan support. :)
  • carsalesmencarsalesmen Member Posts: 2
    How could anyone in that price range buy anything else? I work for A lexus dealership, the iS 350 is to small the GS is to much money and not enough performance for the price, the 335 is nice but no dealership will sell the coupe for invoice. Also very hard to get A base 335 coupe. I just bought A G35 Sedan for $27,400 and with avg credit I got 2.9 for 63 months. I can't belive I got this car for the price of A v6 xle camry. With the money I saved I will buy A turbo or supercharger kit and wheels.
  • carsalesmencarsalesmen Member Posts: 2
    There are 16 dealers in socal that would sell one for dead invoice 3 that went under and one that sold me the loss leader in the middle of the week. 08 g35 sedan for $27,400
  • chodgechodge Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2006 Acura TL and I just bought the 2008 G35 Sedan. I loved the Acura, it is a great car. But...I love the Infiniti more. The Infiniti gas mileage is the reason for the cost to own I think, not the reliability cost. The Acura got 22 around town and 30 for straight highway. The G35 is getting about 17 around town and I have not driven a tank on total highway yet so I cannot say what that is. The other cost is insurance. My rate for the Infiniti was 300 more for 6 months. Don't know why, insurance could not explain. All in all, I think I would go with the Acura if I had to do it again, there are not enough differences to make up the cost differences.
    It's funny...in 04 when I drove the TL I said the same thing...then got one. 07 the G sedan same story...so I got one. It's all about features / performance for the $...unless you have a lot of manufacturer bias, the G is unbeatable. Give it a taller rear gear ratio and let me actually control the AC / recirc features and the car is PERFECT.
  • joec022joec022 Member Posts: 9
    I recently purchased a 2008 Infiniti G35 AWD Sport sedan and noticed while in auto mode (not using the shift mode or paddles) the car downshifts hard on steep inclines or severe hills. My 06 never did this and it really takes away from the ride. I have been reading all the posts and no one has complained about this problem. The dealer and I took out several other vehicles on the same roads and they all did the same thing.
    Does anyone else feel the hard shifting on hills? Is this corrected after the vehicle "learns" your driving habits? If so, how long before this changes?
    I have an 07 sport auto but I live in souther jersey (FLAT). The car will, however do a pretty hard downshift (Harder in DS mode) when braking HARD to a stop. Are you coasting down these hills or are you applying the brakes?
  • joec022joec022 Member Posts: 9
    It happens in both cases, when coasting on long slopes or when applying the brakes hard going down steeper hills. I've also noticed the same thing you mentioned when braking to a hard stop. I've been told that it's part of the technology and redesign related to "engine braking" and that it will learn as I drive. I don't think it will though.
    I think the transmission overthinks a bit. When I give a quick stab to jump into traffic....it will hold that gear for waaay too long...anticipating my need for power I guess. I just tap the upshift paddle in that case and get it in the gear it should be in. The hard braking downshifts I'm OK with (Have you done it in DS mode....I saw a stop sign late while doing about 75ish and the thing was downshifting like a sportbike as I braked VERY hard for that stop), I can't say the coasting thing wouldn't bug me. I would replicate it and hit the upshift paddle and see what it does....should lock you into that gear for 5-10 secs (Seems to be speed/throttle dependant).
  • hawkmanvahawkmanva Member Posts: 27
    So I am driving along the interstate and I am looking for some places to eat along the route.. bingo I get a list of 5 of 90. I know a place I want is prob on the 2nd page, but guess what, you cant go to the second page unless you stop the freakin car! Let me be the judge of safety of scrolling. Garmin lets you override that safety setting and so should Infinity.. Otherwise this is a piece of worthless crap.
  • adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    Complaing to Nissan North America via Infiniti Consumer Affairs (see the Infiniti home page for the number, don't use the NAV issues menu as that'll take you Zenrin's helpdesk and they'll just tell you that it's NNA's fault).

That's the only way they'll change it, we, the owners, have to convince them too.
  • hawkmanvahawkmanva Member Posts: 27
    Thanks. I called 800.662.6200 and opened a case. He said their is an update coming in the Spring but he didnt know what was in it. And he thought we would have to pay for the update.. sucks, car only has 2,000 miles on it.
    I'll pay for the update and my car only has 500 miles on it, especially if we can get the original set of voice commands.

If they don't give us the option, we should see if we can get a list of the original 2007 owners that complained about it being too complicated. Then we can split the list up, and apply "I'm too stupid for a Nav System" bumber sticker on their cars.

I'll coordinate.

Oh, and I looooovvvveeeee this car, even w/ the remedial Voice Commands, and the nanny state lock outs.
    Well, i'm on the list of 07 owners who enjoy the current voice command selection, have never complained, and use it faithfully. :D
  • rag133rag133 Member Posts: 25
    Same with the Music Box issue I stated earlier. The point is to have all your CDs on there for long trips, BUT you can only search music if you are stopped. When I am on the highway for 300 miles straight I want to search an artist or album I want to listen to. I can't do that now but have to page down through EVERY damn song to get to it! I have started using a 4GB CompactFlash card because of this, at least I can sort albums in a way I can find them while moving easily. I liked Music Box a lot until I realized the search is not available when moving. That ruins it.
  • jjs4jjs4 Member Posts: 14
    Nissan has really messed up the user features on their 08 models. Someone should get fired over this decision!
    Re Nav
    I've posted here several times on this issue. Please rip Consumer Affairs, (No. deleted at request of moderator) ask for Sarah. or Donna . Also complain loudly to your dealer.
    They told me they were "working on a fix". I'm to get a call in a week or two...yeah right.
    I'm going to go after this aggressively and need to raise the noise level. Not only does the Nav stink, but they disabled many voice commands which would make the lockout problems less annoying.
    As to paying for an upgrade, this has to be for the maps, not the firmware.
    I'll post as soon as I hear anything.
    Actually, I'm watching a company now that is making a fix for this.
    It'll require taking apart the center stack and some soldering will be required, but it'll fix the legal agreement upon signon as well as the lockout while moving.
    I'll post details as soon as I have them and once it's installed and verified.
    Default your Music Box to sort by album....then use the tuner knob to scroll through the albums....steering wheel or center controller to scroll down the songs. As much as I HATE the lockout on the navi/phonebook, I've never found it an issue with the music box. I would love a plug in or soft hack....but I don't plan on soldering anything into my 40K car that is under warranty still ! !
  • chodgechodge Member Posts: 3
    Help, my new 08 G35 sport, only 1500 miles, has a rattle that sounds like a ticking clock when ever I hit a bump that is driving me crazy. It sounds like it is coming from either the overhead center console or the window or door frame on the passenger side. Has anyone else experienced this. I have emptied out every nook and cranny that might have something moving around in it. :cry:
  • happycamryhappycamry Member Posts: 48
    I'm getting some rattles that could be similar to yours. When I drive on only moderately rough pavement, I hear a series of fairly high pitched rattles. It almost sounds like few clicks of sound as if when you spin a bicycle spoke. It's mainly coming from the right side, too. My guess is that it could be in the washi panels. I've grabbed the seat belts, etc., but that doesn't diagnose it.

It's driving me mildly crazy. My 8 year old BMW with 70,000 miles doesn't have a single rattle.

I hope some folks will weigh in as I really want to get this solved. I don't live near the dealer but will be taking it in two weeks from now to see if they can find it.
    When I get out of the car I hear a beeping sound. What is that? My lights aren't on (and even if they were, they are in auto mode). So why the alarm??? Thanks

Jeff
  • carfanatic17carfanatic17 Member Posts: 32
    Jeff,

Are you opening the door before the car is completely shut down? If so, that's the beeping that you hear.
    I asked this exact same question on the night that I brought the car home!
    I had no idea what it was... LOL

CF is right on the money. Shut the car off before opening the door and the car won't beep. :)
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Don't know if this is the same issue on the new cars but I had a rattle on my '05 that drove me crazy. Turns out it was the inside rearview mirror! I have the premium package so it's the auto-dimming mirror with Homelink. I found it by accident. I was certain it was coming from the dash. But if I held the mirror firmly the noise went away. Had it replaced under the warranty (Thank GOD for extended warranties - I have 65000 miles on the car and they tell me the mirror is $750!!!!). Noise is gone.
    Thanks guys...that is what it was....I am always ruching and never think about it.
  • tsarkistsarkis Member Posts: 10
    i have a 08 g35x, i've had it since october actually. im not the kind of person who speeds excessively i try to keep it under 80 as much as posssible. but last week i found a safe nice place late at night and decided to test out how fast i can get i was dissappointed that once got to 130 the car jsut simply stopped accelerating. i knew that there was gonna be a speed limiter of some kind but i dint think it would be at 130, i expected somethin around 150. So i called the dealer he said he didnt know. emailed infiniti they told me to call the dealer and ask him i sent them an email again and they havent replied so anyone knows if this is normal for the limter to be this low?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    but last week i found a safe nice place late at night and decided to test out how fast i can get i was dissappointed that once got to 130 the car jsut simply stopped accelerating. i knew that there was gonna be a speed limiter of some kind but i dint think it would be at 130

Wow!! 130 is not good enough for you? :surprise:
    130 might sound like alot but on this car its a breeze to get there and u dont even feel it but its not that. The car has so much more potential why block it at all. I mean I bought the car they shouldn't have the right to limit it at all its my decision as to how fast I wanna go not theirs. I think its just another way to mess up a great car just like the lockout on the nav and other stuff when ur moving
    I understand but we have too many lawyers in this country.
    This is an ongoing discussion on some boards.
    What we have found is that this top end varies from car to car... with both 07 and 08 models and it has little do with model.
    It varies with Journeys, X's and Sports.

C&D documented in their original review that the top end was 155 (Limiter).
    I've had my 07 G35x to 145 and there was more to go, I let off the pedal.

I'll say this though...
    Without the limiter, I'd guess the top end of this car is more like 160-170.
    It just felt like it had way more to offer.
  • alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    What would happen if you were driving your G35 on a highway, and someone accidentally pushed the ignition button?

In a keyed car, you'd put the car into neutral and turn the key to re-start. I assume that with the keyless ignition you'd be able to do the same, but I'm not sure, and I'm definitely not willing to give it a try myself. I would not expect you'd have to press the brake to re-start, as you do when you're first starting the car.

Like this topic says, this is a theoretical question but I am curious.
    Pressing the ingition button once while moving doesn't do anything, twice turns it off.
    Do u guys think that if I complain to the dealer or to infiniti more they'll b willing to remove the limiter?
  • kobayashikobayashi Member Posts: 50
    The limiter is probably also set to reflect the tire speed ratings on the car when delivered. There also may be other speed tolerances other manufacturers of parts used by Nissan in the G that may also have recommended speed limitations (brake parts, belts, etc). Asking the dealer to "remove" the limiter will be an act of frustration and provide a good laugh to someone. How fast are you trying to go and why?
  • shawn22shawn22 Member Posts: 6
    After checking out the G35xS for the first time at a local auto show, I was very impressed with the whole car, except for the telescopic steering and tilt functionality. In most auto interior designs the cluster remains stationary when the steering column is adjusted. In the G35, the design of the tilt is such that the instrument cluster pivots with the steering column. So if the wheel is blocking my view of the gauges in one position, it's blocking them in all positions.

Has anyone had any issues with this? or has Infinity answered any questions on the subject.

If you look at the new EX35 - this is not an issue as only the wheel is telescoping and not the whole steering column.

thanks!
    I actually like this feature. I had a coupe and now a sedan and I don't have a problem w/ it.
    I really like the feature as well. I have had issues with other cars where moving the wheel will then obscure the guages, but never w/ my G.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    September 2006, I decide to buy myself a new car. This was going to be my first car so me and the wife narrow it down to the TL. We test drive the TL and end up at a Lexus dealership. We test drive the IS250 AWD and we were blown away. The toys, the soft leather seats, the modern interior we could not resist. I was not even thinking of HP at the time. So we get the Lexus. One year ends and it hits me that anything with a V6 engine or turbo charger is faster than this car. This includes Honda civic si, Toyota Sienna, Honda Accord V6, Dodge Neon SRT…….
    Now I am thinking I paid +39k (with taxes) for this car and people with cars worth half that are running circles around me, what gives. Granted I had more toys than the average car but the HP thing really started getting to me. Enter the G35, ever since this car came in late 2006 (after I bought my Lexus), I liked what I saw. This week, went ahead and sold my IS250AWD and got the G35X. This was an upgrade in many ways, more room, more HP (no cheaper car passing me against my will), looks, technology (although I lose ventilated seats but who cares). So far, I am loving it, not missing the Lexus IS250AWD one bit. :shades:
    I came SUPER close to closing a deal on the IS250 but gave Infiniti a visit before doing so.
    After driving the G, I knew the lack of power in the IS250 would drive me nuts so I also chose the G over the IS and the TL.

I do wish those vented seats were avail in the G though.. I liked those. :D
    Personally took my G35S Auto up to 136 the first day I had it (It's a lease). First blast I left it in D and when it went into fifth the rate of acceleration fell DRAMATICALLY at right around 130. Few moments later I paddled it into 4th and actually did the 136 in fourth...still pulling quite well. I think the 4/5 gap drops into a weak spot in the rev range...air is a massive wall at those speeds..even on a smooth car like the G.
  • none14none14 Member Posts: 4
    Time to post my review. Bought Blue Slate, 2008, premium package with wheel and tire upgrade. No navigation for me as I think that is an enormous waste of money. Great car, very fast. Was concerned about how I would fit in it as I'm 6'2", 180. No issues. Car is comfortable. The Blue Slate with shiny wheels is a headturner. I've read the handwringing on the tires thread about 'summer tires' and the alleged need for 'snow tires'. We've had a long cold and wet winter here in Oklahoma and the car has been driven on snow, ice, sleet, slush, rain, you name it. No problems. The Bluetooth works great, once it learns your voice pattern. I get 21 mpg with 50/50 city and highway driving. I don't drive it like I'm in Nascar so that helps and I didn't expect anything better with 300+ horses. Biggest [and only] disappointment so far is the stereo. I'm no audiophile but the stereo has no depth at all. I expected booming clear sound and what you get is nowhere near that. It's puzzling.

This is my second G-35 and it's a winner. If you ask questions, I'll answer them!
    Hey None,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new G.
    I'm also sportin a Slate Blue... it's stunning in the sunlight. :shades:

I don't agree on your accessment on the Navi .It's by no means a complete waste of money, but I can see where some people would opt not to have it. I use mine all the time.
    Keep in mind that your $2,150 buys more than the Navi itself. You get XM Live Traffic, you also get the 9.5 GB Music Box, and the ever popular Backup Monitor.
    As a package, I think it's worth it.

As for your gripe with the stereo... give it a little time before you come to any conclusions. I was also a little disappointed, but with proper break in (which took longer in the G than any other car I've owned), the stereo is now what I was expecting it to be.

Again, welcome and congrats.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I previously owned a Lexus IS250, it had the base audio system but this system with 13 speakers was great. The reviews on it have been ok as well. Prior to getting the G, I had read on many forums how bad the G's bose audio system was perceived to be. Now that I have one, and I only have around 500 miles on it, I believe the Bose audio is great. It delivers throghout the volume band and brings out quality sound across the spectrum. Its definitely better than in my previous car. It will not give you loud sound like those aftermarket audio systems where you hear the bass thumping from a car hundreds of feet away, but for those in the car, it will be enough.

BTW, this beast is fast, cant wait to break it in. 1200 miles is a lot to break in, my previous car's break in mileage was half that.
  • none14none14 Member Posts: 4
    Scott,

Thanks. I have not bought a car in any color other than black for more than 20 years. However, every time I looked at the Blue Slate in the dealer lot, the car looked different--ranging from charcoal gray to deep blue. It really does change depending on the light and the angle of the light.

I appreciate the comment on the stereo. I am curious however. I have never heard of a break-in period for a stereo. I have changed every setting I can think of to try to improve the sound but with only marginal success. Any tips on what else I should be doing? I have about 2500 miles on the car, btw.