Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Infiniti G35

Comments

• cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    Fog lights appear to be same in 08 looking at brochure - in fact, they reused a lot of pics from the 07 brochure.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I would not know... my car is hand washed anytime it sees any form of dust :P

Heat wise, it's been great... not too hot.
    It does show more dirt than something in a silver color, but it's MUCH better than black.

I spend hours on top of hours with my car's finish and even I'm not willing to go the Black route.

I'm lovin the Blue Slate though.
    It's a great color which changes with different angles of light, but looks black at night.
    Best of both worlds, IMO.
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    Another thing to keep in mind is that you can't get the sport package on the '08 with the wheat interior. The 2007 G35 was the same way; the '07 G35 Sport is only available in stone or graphite. Makes me :mad:. Why can I buy a 2008 G35 Journey in Blue Slate / Wheat but not when I get the sport package? Do the paddle shifters not work with that color interior?? :confuse:

kc
    Yeah I hear you :). Luckily I'm not considering Sport - my guess is that they don't think Wheat is a "sporty" enough color. Although begs question why they didn't have it on all non-sports last year. Guess they need to save some things for new ;)
    I'm in NE, have a crazy commute and after a long hard look at all the variables, came to the conclusion that AWD was a must.
    The Sport tempted me a lot though.

Once I was dead set on my color choice, it was the last nail in the coffin for the Sport option, as I wanted the wood trim. Wood trim is not available in the sport.
    The dealer offered me the after-market wood trim and showed me a model with it installed...yuck.

I wanted the Blue Slate/Wheat/Wood package, but in 07, it was not available.
    (I think the centerfold in the brochure convined me :P )
    If I was shopping this year... that'd be the winner for me.
    I like the wood trim too, and forgot to mention in my post on colors that it is not available with the Sport model/package. As I live in the North GA/Atlanta area, AWD is not as big of a concern as it would be in the NE. I guess Infiniti doesn't want you to be enjoying the luxury wheat leather with wood trim while paddle-shifting your car like a hot-rod ;)

kc
    The dealer just called and said my '08 G35 just arrived on the truck :) The official delivery date isn't until two more weeks so it's a nice surprise. He said there was another '08 G35 on the truck as well. Unfortunately, due to the late hour they won't be able to PDI the car until Monday. And of course, I won't be taking delivery until the 3M clear bra is applied :)

:D

kc
    Congrats! (in advance). I saw about 5 on a dealer's backlot today in NJ and heard about another seen on a lot in Ohio. The eagles have landed! ;)
  • bogossbogoss Member Posts: 9
    I picked up my 2008 G35 Journey Black/Wheat/Rosewood trim/Premium/Nav yesterday in Dallas. The car is very very hot!! The back-up camera is a fantastic feature, the engine is powerful... nothing bad to say about the car, I love it!!
    By the way, I paid VPP ($35,240 including wheel lock), and it is true even if many dealerships tell you that they can't do it. If you are eligible for VPP, ask them if they will do it on the 08, and if they tell you that Infiniti does not offer it, they are lying and you should shop somewhere else.
    Congrats! - I am looking at the exact same specs on an 08, except G35x and also VPP. I agree they should offer it - both dealers I spoke with said they would honor VPP. I'm doing a little more shopping re: doc fees and extras. Also making sure I'm ready to deal with the care-and-feeding of a black car ;) (planning to check out some of the new colors available with wheat/wood which are expected on some lots within the next 2 weeks).

Enjoy!
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    STOP THE VPP TALK--how does that help the regular customers who cannot get that pricing.. Great you got VPP but how does that help a person who is shopping for a car and needs to actually do work to get there price.. IF there is a way please lets us know. Good luck with the G its a great car my 07 is fantastic. Enough VPP
  • lburianlburian Member Posts: 5
    I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the '08 G35x, but whenever I test drove the '07 model I had the same concern - - difficulty modulating the gas peddle. I find that from a stopped position it was very difficult to have a smooth start, but rather the gas peddle was very hard to push and then it would jump. Anyone else have this concern? It's the primary reason why I'm undecided about buying the Infinity versus the Accura TL.
    I too noticed that while test driving an '07, and I've read about it in reviews from car magazines. Most of the comments I've seen said the throttle was touchy on launch but once you get use to driving the car it becomes more normal. Of course, I don't have a G35 (yet) so I can say that's a fact, but hopefully one of the other G35 owners can give us their experience.

kc
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Nissan's version of "drive by wire."

Our Pathfinder (four years old) does the same thing, and you do get used to it in time. Still don't like it.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Don't worry about it.

You get used to it, and the car gets used to you.

The adaptive learning algorithm on the Auto tranny takes approx 1,000 miles to get used to you, and will smooth out considerably... including the throttle response on take-offs.

Your foot will also get used to the car.
    If you have trouble in the beginning, try placing your heel near the hinge of the throttle pedal.
    The pedal in the G hinges on the bottom, and does not hang from above, as in most other cars.
    Keeping your heel close allows for better feathering ability and you won't find the pedal hard to push.

Most higher end cars now are drive by wire.
    Our Acura is the same way, and also took time to get used to.
    The difference here is the amount of raw power the G offers, along with the different pedal.

Don't worry, and get that crazy talk about the TL out of your head!!!!

I have 6,000 miles on my G now and it's smooth as silk.
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    hey...don't be mad at people because they can get VPP. There will be plenty of info on both methods as people try it and post here. If you don't like it...go to the dealer yourself, negotiate something, and then post here for others to use to their benefit. Besides...if you are so determined, you might be able to find a way for yourself to qualify for VPP...I did ;)
  • ortegaortega Member Posts: 105
    Now THAT would be some useful information to share. Care to enlighten us...hypothetically speaking, of course....on how one might go about qualifying for VPP pricing??
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Well...in my case, I had a friend who had happened to have bought a Nissan truck a year or so ago and we got to talking and he mentioned that he got a VPP deal. I didn't even know about VPP then and was already working a deal without it since my lease was about to expire. My friend gave me the contact info for his friend who worked for Nissan Corporate and I contacted her and she hooked me up with a VPP number thru her family and friends plan. Back then I believe that they could do an unlimited number of family and friend VPP deals, however, I think they have changed their policy and now each employee is allowed fewer friends and family referrals. Anyway, that is how I got my VPP discount. I had to wait over the weekend to get the VPP number from her, but happened to find a car that I wanted and I got the fleet sales rep to hook me up with VPP thru HER...and that was just because I was being nice to her when asking for a quote. So, there are ways to get it without actually working for them or having a direct relationship to someone who does ;)
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I had the same issue in my 35x. However, my wife disproved it all. From the first time she drove it and consistently thereafter, she's never had a jackrabbit start. She's convinced that I just want to hot rod it all the time and that it's a "guy thing".
    Z
    Although according to the 2008 G35 sedan brochure, Lakeshore Slate with Graphite interior is not offered, I saw just such a combo on a 2008 G35X sedan (non-sport) today in a dealor lot. For those of you who might be interested in such a combo, you may be in luck this year after all.
  • ajoyceajoyce Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying the 2008 G35 Journey with Premium, Sports and Navigation packages along with Spoiler, Cargo Net and Trunk Mat.

What would be a fair total price (excluding tax & title)?
    What would be a fair monthly lease price (excluding tax & title) for 36 months and 15K per year?
  • johnnyspagzjohnnyspagz Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if you can get a G35x Sport now? I thought I heard that it would be November, but I thought I read that the late availability was just for the 18 inch wheel option. Also, will the G35x Sport have the 'S' insignia on the rear as well?

Thanks!!
  • kcianoskcianos Member Posts: 5
    Well I finally took my '08 G35 Journey (w/ Prm/Nav/Sport) home (previous username was 'shov8'). I am loving it (except for below). The navigation is very cool (never had one before) and of course the Music Box is very nice. The iPod connector on the Premium package is excellent and I am very pleased that I waited for it vs getting the '07 (music is important on my daily drive :)). Still working out most of the features as there are too many gadgets for me. Oh, and my Treo 650 works great via BT.

The downside. Dealer installed the clear bra (or technically, had someone else do it) and it looks terrible. Bubbles everywhere, scratches on the plastic film, wrinkles, and even a few spots with lint balls/clumps _under_ the film. I am soooo disappointed on it. I have an appt on Friday to get it re-done so hopefully 2nd time is the charm.

And of course, after parking it in the garage, I found what appears to be damage to the roof next to the driver door. It looks like there are a few brown stains (rust?) in the paint and under garage fluorescent lights you can see where someone tried to buff it out. A local detailer said it looked to him like they had attempted to wet sand the area. It is not very noticeable in direct sunlight unless you know where look but in cloudy/overcast/garage conditions it's very noticeable. And of course it's right by the driver door so now I notice it all the time. It looked to the detailer like something was dropped on the roof, made a small indent, and they tried to fix it. He stated it appeared that the clear coat had been buffed down and was thin/missing at those spots.

I have a call in to my salesman and have had no response yet, but I only got the car yesterday so I understand he might have Tuesday off. I am not so much worried about the bra as I am about the roof. If I don't hear anything back tomorrow I will elevate it to the sales manager.

My desire is to have the roof re-painted. What is everyone's thoughts on this and recommendations? Thanks,

kc
  • carfanatic17carfanatic17 Member Posts: 32
    I was just at the dealership last night, they offered to order an AWD sport with delivery sometime in December. That's as much info as they had.
    I'd wanna see the spot in question before I had a real opinion, but my first thought is...
    Paint the roof of my brand new G????? :cry: :sick: :(

Stinks that the bra was not done well, but it's re-doable.
    Make sure they tell you that they are using a 3M certified installer, and not some [non-permissible content removed] in training.

My bra was done by a cert'd installer.
    He was on vacation when the car came in and they said the car would be ready for delivery anyway.
    When I asked how, I was told that they would have his apprentice do the work.
    I immediately put a stop to that and waited for the cert'd guy to return from vacation.
    I hated the wait, but it was certainly worth it.
    I am going back straight to the source this time for the clear bra, and they are a certified 3M installer. When I spoke to the guy on the phone he did say they were a "training facility" so it was possible that some trainee did the vehicle. I will try to take some quick pics today of the spot and the clear bra issues and post them.

kc
    Just remember that 3M does not certify installation locations, but people certified to do the install at your particular location.

Use the 3M website to search for that location and it will list the name of the individual who is certified.
    Be sure that person does both the uninstall and the new install as well.
    SPRINKLER-- thanks for the long story --so in the short of it you need to know someone who works for nissan.. great- Again please stop the VPP pricing updates they offer no value to 99.9% of us
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, let's don't ask others to stop posting information that may be helpful to others. If it doesn't apply to you, it's probably best to just skip over it. :)
    its a discussion that applys to noone -thats my point -PAT :D thanks
    You don't know that it applies to no one, that's MY point. :)

Many more people read these discussions than post. All information is welcome. If specific information does not apply to a specific reader, all he or she needs to do is just skip over it. It is not necessary to tell someone not to post it. So let's don't do that, please. :)
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    Thanks to those who posted that there was such a thing as VPP! After hearing about this I went to the dealer, found out that I qualified, and got a great deal. My car will be delivered this weekend.
    That's great! Hope you'll stop by the Dealer Ratings & Review page and share your experience. That will be very helpful to other consumers in your area.
    if we must talk about this VPP =can someone explain to me how you can walk into a dealer and find out you qualify? (michael2003). Does this VPP help you with trade ins?? Is it a better overall deal? Please stop by the Dealer Ratings & Review page and share your dealer experience (for pat). ;)
  • dglassmdglassm Member Posts: 9
    I just ordered a G35x with sport , the sport seats are awesome if you can fit in , paddle shifters are the only way to go ...
    Just drove the G37s with sport and paddle shifters very sweet wish I lived in warm weather year round ... worth the wait for sport package and AWD for us folks in snow country (Colorado)
    End of December is what my dealer is telling me . Official release date for Infiniti AWD Sport is Dec 10 2007 ...
  • rsaulrsaul Member Posts: 28
    I've been waiting for the 2008 G35X Sport as well to arrive in the dealership, so good to hear its only a few months away. I've test driven the 07 Sport and 07 X so am assuming the ride of the 08 X Sport will be comparable to the 07 Sport? Did the dealer give you a decent price, in your opinion? I've thought about pre-ordering, but didn't want the dealer to quote over MSRP.
  • dglassmdglassm Member Posts: 9
    My price situation is simple since I am VPP customer , so I will get the car for around 400 over invoice . I would not pay over MSRP, use the internet to expand your market space and find a dealer that will deal , that way you can get a vacation out of the new car purchase and drive home worry free no runflats !!...
  • rsaulrsaul Member Posts: 28
    Was quoted the below by a dealer in Minneapolis.

"The cars are to be built in November. They are a very limited production car. It could get here in late December but I think it will be January. The Msrp on a the car you are looking for is $40,575. You can buy this car for $39,975+ttl."

Not a great deal. Edmunds has the invoice at $37K and "what others are paying" for $39,750, so I guess its not too far off.

Question is...I can wait that long to get my car!?!
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    I just told the dealership that I was interested in their VPP program and wanted to see if I qualified and whether they participated in the plan. Seems qualification is primarily based on what company you work for, or whether you know anyone that works for one of the companies that qualify for the VPP plan.
  • piredonpiredon Member Posts: 50
    Picked up the car yesterday, blue slate, gray interior, totally loaded. Dealer got 12 2008 cars in last Saturday, 10/6 and had sol 6 of them by the time I called on Wednesday, 10/10 to tell them I wanted to move forward. Infiniti of Syracuse (New York) in case you wanted to know. If you want a good deal, you won't be getting one any time soon. I'm a sick puppy and couldn't wait any longer though.

Some initial observations:

Fantastic car. Tons of power, all across the rev range (at least the part I've been in so far). Just about the best exhaust note short of a v-8 powered car. The tires have about 60 miles on them, and want to break in a little more before I test ultimate grip in the corners, but initial tests seem positive. Automatic is smooth, and likes to hold onto gears longer than you might expect for such a torquey engine. Very short gearing overall, 70mph = 3000 rpm in 5th gear. Not really very good for fuel economy, but what do you expect from such a high-performance vehicle.

Interior fit and finish is good, not up to Audi or Lexus standards, but about equal with Acura. More than enough adjustments to find the right seating position, and memory seats are much appreciated. No complaints about the climate control so far, but it's been in the 50s and 60s up here so it hasn't had to work hard. Operation is certainly seamless and intuitive. Rear doors that open 80 degrees and plenty of room in back for passengers. Cupholders suck compared to some others, but I'm not really a big-gulps fan, and they work fine for my small coffee from DD.

Tons of technology. I have a feeling it will take me a while to figure it all out. Still getting used to keyless entry and pushbutton starter, but it does make sense. No more fumbling in your pockets for keys. Audio system integrates well with ipod, although some of the menus could be better organized. You can scroll through by artists or by album, but it's merely a table of contents, and you have to click down through the options to get to the songs (or search for the song directly, sorted by song name). Would be nicer you could see the artist, album and song all at once. I guess just take the time to make some playlists, or leave it on shuffle (my favorite option). Of course, you can also loan your songs on the car hard drive, but I feel like I've already done all that with the ipod. Overall, not a perfect interface, but certainly better than connecting via the av cable (it charges while it plays with the integrated cable). Sound quality is very good. I have a feeling it might be better with a few more adjustments. There are only the basic adjustments: bass, treble, fade, balance, and a function that supposedly adjusts the speakers such that they are ideal for the driver. My wife's Volvo V50, with the upgraded audio, has tons more adjustments, and seems put out a little higher quality sound as a result, when it's adjusted properly. Not a huge difference, but it's noticeable to me.

Bluetooth phone connection works well, haven't had complaints from others about not being able to hear me, which is good. Couldn't download the address book from my blackberry, so will have to program the car with a few important numbers. There is an address book download function integrated into the car, but according to the salesman, not many people have had much luck with it. Nav system seems intuitive, haven't tested on a real trip yet. Fuel economy page is great, keeps a history of your past averages (in between resets), and displays average MPG, instant MPG and miles remaining all on the same screen. Only 15mpg so far, but that includes its life at the dealership (all 13 miles).

Headlights illuminate very well, and they definitely turn with the front wheels. Adaptive cruise control (or whatever it's called) would be nice on long trips, but isn't really suited to roads with heavy traffic or 2 lane highways. It tends to pick up cars on the other side of the road around corners and slow down.

A few complaints (other than the short gearing, 6th gear overdrive needed):

Tends to be a little touchy when you step off the throttle (before you slow down or break). Not a perfectly smooth transition. You can feel the transmission switch from pulling to dragging, if that makes sense.

Also, I've experienced some very slight stuttering at around 35 mph, going up a very slight incline, not accelerating but just maintaining speed. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable. The transmission has itself in 5th gear, around 1500 rpm, and the power train doesn't seem to like it. Will probably improve with break-in, but I'll definitely be mentioning it to the dealer if it does not improve. The obvious solution is just to shift it manually into 4th gear, but that shouldn't really be necessary. It's an isolated situation, but I have to drive up a slight incline at 35 mph every morning to get to the main road, so it's something I'll have to figure out so as not to be driven crazy.

Other than that, happy with the purchase. Will try to provide further updates as I get more familiar with the car.
    Your final points with the minor complaints... all of those will be gone once you have aqpprox 2,000 miles on the car.
    The adaptive learning Tranny takes some time, and so does the driver's foot.

In a short amount of time, the G will be smooth as silk.

Congrats on the new ride.

I have a question.
    The rear emblem... is it the G35 with a red X where the S would be on a sport?
  • samtutsamtut Member Posts: 10
    At the risk of upsetting those who would rather not see postings on the VPP, here is some background info...

The VPP is a program for employees of Nissan/Infiniti and employees of companies who do business with Nissan/Infiniti. I found out about the program through my employer's benefits web site.

From the program materials, it looks like people with more indirect ties to Nissan/Infiniti will not qualify. ("My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.")

If you qualify, then you have to find a dealer who will honor the program. Each dealership decides this on their own at the dealer level.

Nissan has a web site and an 800 number that explain the program in more detail:

www.insidenissan.com
    800-299-4753
  • piredonpiredon Member Posts: 50
    The rear emblem... is it the G35 with a red X where the S would be on a sport?

It's just G35x all in chrome.
    Thanks...

I heard in another forum that a guy saw a G35x on the road, but the X was larger and in red, like the S on the sport models.
    It had us wondering if that was the new emblem for the G35x Sport model.

I haven't seen one yet.
  • svachhersvachher Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to buy a 2008 G35 Journey with premium, nav, tech, and performance packages in Garnet Ember. Does anyone know if the red color is generally more or less expensive than other colors?
    I'm assuming most people go for other colors and not red as i have not seen more than 1 or 2 on the road. :confuse:
    Finally, someone else who likes red! :) I just picked up my Garnet Ember G35 two weeks ago. I chose the red because it was the only color that really stood out to me (IMHO). I've had several compliments on the color so far. I did like the Blue Slate but it was a touch too dark/grey for me. I see quite a few G35s here in Atlanta but they are mostly the liquid platinum or graphite colors. You see a few Blue Slates and an occasional Lakseshore Slate (the light blue), but hardly any white, black, or reds.

As for the cost, it doesn't cost the dealer any more to order a garnet ember than any other color. When I ordered my car (the '08s were not here yet) we agreed on price before I even selected the color. I think Edmunds does a price adjustment on the TMV for the color but it's very small. The neutral colors must sell well since you see so many of them. Of course, that won't stop the dealer from trying to charge more for the "rare" color LOL :)

kc
    Kc... Thanks for writing back! Feels good to know there is someone out there driving the Garnet Ember. Hey can you post the details of your car.. like packages.. and how much you paid.. msrp and invoice.. I'm going to shop for the garnet this weekend. Hopefully the dealer will have it in stock if i'm lucky. Or else, looks like i will have to order too.

I think the blue slate is nice but just too dull for me(IMO). I'm into colors that stand out and speak for themselves. I liked the pearl white and black osidian as well very much, but Garnet is the winner.

SV
    I ordered an '08 G35 Journey w/ Premium, Nav, and Sport packages in late August. The car came with the truck mat (nice, but useless), the body-colored splash guards (could give or take), and the trunk cargo net (actually useful). I think it's hard to find cars without those port-installed options. MRSP was $39,375 and I was able to get $2000 off MRSP, so I paid $37,375. Invoice is $35,860 and TMV is $38,457 (counting the extra $13 for Garnet Ember LOL). It was the best deal I could get pre-ordering an '08 here in Atlanta. They wanted $37k for a similar equipped '07 when I ordered. Like many people have said, the cars sell well and there are limited dealers. I added $595 for the 3M clear bra (see other topic for discussion). I'm happy with the deal I received and very happy with the car.

I liked the pearl white also but had just come from a white car so I was looking for something else. Considering the massive amount of silver/grey BMW and MBs here in town, I wanted to get a color that was a bit different. Scottm in these fourms has a Blue Slate and he loves it but it just wasn't the color for me. I am very pleased with the Garnet Ember so far.

Another thing that was tough for me to decide on was the interior leather color; I wanted the wheat but Infiniti, in their all-knowing all-powerful wisdom, do not allow you to get wheat leather with the sport package. I initially chose the stone interior but changed it later to graphite and I am glad I did. The stone leather seems very drab to me. Just my 2c.

If you are set on the red and the dealer doesn't have it, just have them locate one for you. My dealer was able to locate an '08 when it was still in-bound on the boat and headed for a dealer in FL. Took about 5 mins to locate the car and a bit longer to get the FL dealer to agree to swap :) The car came here on the truck just like he had ordered it with no additional charge.

Good luck!

kc
    Thanks again! I hoping to pull it off with $1000 over invoice (I know that may sound impossible considering the '08s are just arriving), but will give it a shot. I'm in Southern California.

I really love the wood trim which is the reason why i am interested in Journey since the sport does not come with wood trim. Or else, i would go for the sport model. I also like the wheels/rims on the sport model better than the journey. Nice choice on your part, you gotta sweet deal and a sweet car. Thanks for all your help.

Enjoy the red hottie!

SV :shades:
    The Garnet Ember Red is no more or less in cost... unless you take into the affect of how much repairs will be when it starts chipping off.

There have been problems with the red for years.
    I suggest getting some 3M protective film on there ASAP, if you haven't already done so.