Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE No Start

Comments

• kingcatkingcat Member Posts: 13
    A year ago I posted a problem with my 2006 Vue. They changed the ECM the first time and that fixed the problem.

The same thing has happen at least seven time I lost track. The symptoms are when I return to my car I inserted the key as usual. Ordinarily the dash instrument gages would activate. The security door locks are inoperative, the engine starts but will not stay running. I have taken it to the dealer and each time they could not find an problem. They even kept it for a week. This failure happens randomly and I can never predict when the car might not start.

I understand that it is the cars computer network. The fix is simple but who wants to put the hood up and remove the ground cable on the battery? I keep the tools I need in my car if and when the car will not start. It takes less the five minutes to re-boot the computer.

It functions fine for weeks until I try to start it. My car problem is a glitch in the ECM. Had Saturn engineer a remote re-set button I would not have to remove the ground strap on the battery for two minutes. I do want to caution anyone who has a vehicle that has the same symptoms. My cars problem could be different then yours. When you remove the battery cover stay clear of the positive post. If you drop a wrench between the positive terminal and ground you could get seriously injured. This is best left to a qualified mechanic.

I am thinking of installing a relay and a switch to remotely re-set the computer. from all the feedback that has been sent to me I can conclude Saturn needs to come up with a software patch. With the economy as bad as it is it is doubtful they will recall Vue's :sick: and come up with better software. I guess I am eligible to have the car deemed a lemon? Since I can resolve the problem and the fact I other wise like the Vue I'll have to live with the problem. Happy motoring Vue owners
    :sick:
  • nozz44nozz44 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, did you ever figure it out?
    The Saturn service techs could not find out what caused the computer program glitch.

I found by experimenting that removing the cars battery ground cable e.g. bolt and waiting a minute the computer system resets.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it does not happen again. I caution anyone to avoid removing the ground cable from the cars battery. You have to reset your cars
    radio time and favorite stations.

I only recommend this ECM reset in a emergency. Since no one has up dated the cars firmware it might be done with the On Star link.

I can only suspect my ECM has been upgraded without going to a Saturn service center. It has been almost a year since the car refused to start.

I can suggest keeping the tools required to take the battery cover off and a wrench to back off the ground bolt at the battery in your cars tool box.

Warning if any metal like a wrench or watch band comes in contact with the plus terminal of the battery major injury can occur. If your not a electrical type then find someone who can safely remove the ground cable from the battery.

The whole process should only take 45 second or less. Be careful :shades: and double check the batteries polarity...
    I experienced the same type of problem with our Saturn 2006 Vue. The first time I had it put on a roll back to a dealer in Las Vegas 75 miles away.

They replace the electronic control module (ECM). The car had to be driven back the following day because a warning light (seat belt) was on. The tech forgot to
    re-program the computer network. There are three modules that need to be in sync.

That lasted for a month and the car was hauled back to the dealer. NO problem was discovered. A few weeks later the car refused to start so it was returned to the dealer. They kept it for a week as I suggested. The service manager could not find any reason why the computer system failed.

I suspect they upgraded the firmware to correct the problem. It has not happened again for over a year.

I believe the problem is a software glitch that happens randomly. The last two times it refused to keep running I simply removed the battery ground cable. That resets the ECM computer.

When I reset the computer I also removed the error code stored in the module.
    I carry the tools needed to remove the battery cover and the bolt on the battery ground terminal.

My honest opinion is the service techs do not want to troubleshoot a complex
    system as in the Vue. I found by resetting the computer (reboot) that should solve the problem.

I must warn anyone that has not worked with a car battery to find someone who is skilled. If your wrench or metal watch band comes in contact with the positive terminal serious injury can occur. The ground cable need only be removed for one minute to clear all data out of the CPU memory.

I'm not sure if the upgrade of the Vue firmware resolved the problem or my re-boot
    procedure resolved the problem.

We live 60 miles from Death Valley so in an emergency it is necessary to remove the battery cover and it's negative cable connection.

Other then that annoying problem our car with 26,000 miles has given excellent service.

If you have the same problem and need to get off a freeway or go for help then remember this. Attempt to start the car a dozen times. It will not start or run for more then a milli second. After 12 attempts the computer will change modes and allow the engine to start. That enables you in a emergency to drive a few miles.
    Note the power steering will not work nor the power breaks. The car is extremely difficult to drive but allows the driver to seek help. So please be extra careful if you ever hav :sick: e to drive the vehicle in this way.
  • vuemastervuemaster Member Posts: 6
    I have an oil change scheduled at a local garage tomorrow, I still have security issues with the Vue :mad: If I open the tailgate or side doors then shut them and I enter my side and start the car it will not start and the security light is blinking. I have learned that when this happens, dont curse Saturn :shades: , but turn the key off and turn to 1st setting and let the light blink and the stop. turn back off and the car starts fine. :confuse: Any way I never use my emergency signals and a few moths ago when I did need them the button was stuck 1/2 way in, It must have been caused when they fixed the security thing and screwed up my mileage and now the button for the emergency signals. :lemon: So for 5 years it was a great Vue after the warranty expires it starts to fall apart.
  • flirtee30flirtee30 Member Posts: 3
    Hi -

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue that won't start in the morning. I have replaced the battery, alternator, starter, cleaned all the wires, posts, and grounds. When you get in and try to start it, it makes a clicking sound. Everyone has said it's the starter. I have 2 perfectly good working starters so it's not that. Recently I figured out if I put the car into low 3 and then back up into park and turn the key 3 or 4 times it will start and it will start EVERYTIME after that for the entire day until it sets overnight. Then I have to do the same thing. I have read some stuff about the Neutral Safety Switch. Has anyone heard anything about this or know where I can find a diagram of where this switch is located? Obviously with the economy being the way it is... I can't afford to pay a lot to have this fixed. If I can do it myself, I'd prefer that! Any suggestions and thoughts are definitely appreciated! Thank you!
    Be extra careful using replays as a guide to solving a technical problem.

The Saturn Vue has a very complicated computer system. It requires all the modules to be in sync and communication data to each other.

Ours has not "glitches" for over a year. I made sure the system was reset by removing the negative terminal on the SUV battery and replacing it. Our problem might have been a bad connection at the battery. Note I really do not know why our 2006 Vue has been trouble free.

Service technicians have diagnostic computers to pin point most control module faults.

What your experiencing might be something only a Saturn engineer can resolve. It is not simple to diagnose a computer problem in a GM vehicle.

My point of replying is finding the right person to correct the annoying problem. I wish I could help other then we now own cars that are soon to become classics. I retired from GM Hughes am surprised that Saturn dealers can not support our cars.

Sorry that I can not be of any real assistance. :sick:
    Well thank you for responding and at least I know I am not the only one out there having troubles with a Saturn Vue.

I have tried several things and my problem is just plain ole annoying. Having to take the car out of park to start it is a common sign that it is the neutral safety switch from what I have read and not just through "replies and forums" but actual car guides and mechanics.

I too removed the negative post on the battery first, so I don't think that is the issue at all. Like I wrote in my original post, I have replaced the battery (paying particular attention to the connection (it has a good connection), the starter, the alternator. All the wires have been cleaned. My next thing is I am going to get the neutral safety switch from the dealer and see if that helps. Do you know where I can get any "diagrams" so I can figure out where it is located? I saw a youtube video but it was for a "ford windstar" van, which I don't think will help me! :P

Well again - Thanks! For now I'm driving a :lemon: (funny part, it's BRIGHT Yellow)! LOL
    It happened again after one year. My wonderful lemon 2006 Saturn Vue did it again. After using the remote transmitter to open the doors my Vue refused to start.

Once again I had to re-set my vehicles computer. I do this by removing the ground cable on the cars battery. After replacing the cable the car always starts and run perfectly.

Like any digital system glitches can stop data flowing to make the SUV operate. I might have accidently discovered what is happening.
    Note that I am troubleshooting without the aid of a cal lab service scope and a print out of the computer program.

I stumbled upon a web site that was for ham radio operators. Someone in California had a shortwave transceiver that did almost the identical thing my Vue does. Here is part of what he wrote.

just when the rig is ready to start making sound, the lights flash and it “reboots” itself. This happens over and over several times until it either starts or you shut it down.

To best understand the problem in simple terms follow this. My Vue only fails to start after I use the remote transmitter to open the door locks.

Only after the computer system is re booted using the negative cable
    method will it start. There is some similarity between the ham radio and my SUV ECM module.

A9 refers to the radio, it is a printed circuit board.
    The A9 Power Distribution board supplies voltage to, among other things, the CPUs in the radio. note this reference is for a radio not my car.
    Here is what solved his problem.

I’m no expert, but one of the crew on the reflector (a technical news letter for hams) says that this design is very hard on the filter caps, especially C6 and C9, both 470 uf, 16 Volt, 85° C electrolytic. These caps need to have extremely low Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) as well as excellent ripple specs. You can’t just pick up any old 470 uf cap from the junk box and expect it to perform. It would also seem logical that caps rated at 105° C with a higher voltage rating and with a larger physical size to dissipate more heat would make them last longer.

When he looked at the board, C6’s top was bulging, a sure sign it was the culprit. He determined that replacing all three of the 470 uf units, including C7, would make sense.

He searched around for premium caps for replacements and finally settled on ones from the Mouser catalog made by Xircon, model 140-ESRL50V470-RC. These units are rated at 50 Volts, 105° C and have excellent ESR and ripple specs. Even though they are physically much larger, the lead spacing is the same as the originals, so they fit perfectly.

I do not expect most of you to know what a capacitor like this is.
    It is a $1.50 part that allows AC signals to pass through it. It blocks
    or stops direct current.

In the case of the ham the manufacture of his rig knows they selected the wrong component. Yet, like Saturn they did not have a recall. In the case of the ham radio operator it is only a $2000. investment made in the US.

My best guess is a recall to replace components is not practical or safe for a SUV. That means those of us who are victims of what appears as a faulty design must suffer. The cost of solving a problem would be too costly

The only way we are going to have our car problem solved is having a
    lab investatage if there are components in the Vue's computers that intermittently fail. I doubt if GM would volunteer to solve this unusual problem.

I can not positively state this is the correct answer to why my Saturn Vue and yours will not start.

Until someone sends their ECM system to a independent lab the mystery remains. :sick:
  • jwold57jwold57 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 has recently developed a problem starting when it's warm. I can start it every morning without a problem, but once I've driven it, parked it, and turned it off it won't restart until the next day. The key turns and there is nothing. I tried replacing the starter, but that's not it. Any ideas?? I either have to leave it running when I go anywhere, or get my son-in-law to push it and pop the clutch.
  • markdr99markdr99 Member Posts: 2
    i was doing a head job on my car,when i got to the timing belt,i have major problems,its a 3.0 v6,the problem is the aligment with the cams,theres two notches on each sprocket,and im not sure which one aligns with the back cover,and i made a major mistake of not marking the cam sprocket with the number 2 cam,so its possible it can be on upside down,ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
  • frobinsonfrobinson Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem I marked the front cam sprockets but forgot to mark the back. Did you figure it out?
  • markdr99markdr99 Member Posts: 2
    i know the back your soppost to align them up wih the back of the cover thats mounted to the head,theres four notches on sheild,did your cams have two notches on each sprocket,and if so,did u use the first or second one from left to right,hope this helps,im going to the dealer monday,hope they give me some info
  • lilgirl1lilgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what the mechanic did to get your car to start! I have a 2002 saturn vue, and one say I came out of the store, and it wouldnt start. I didnt leave the key in or any lights on, and there was no indication that anything was wrong. We had the starter tested and its not the starter. We checked the neutral safety switch, and its not that either! Any suggestions!?
  • trinisaturntrinisaturn Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2010
    Hi,

To restart disconnect the battery pole for approximately 5 minutes then reconnect. If it does not work repeat a couple times (5 minute intervals) it would eventually start so no need for towing. Leave a door open or make sure driver window is down as when battery is reconnected the car doors might lock automatically leaving you outside with no way in except with spare keys. Car starts then but the problem would reoccur in the most inopportune time. Most likely the problem is the BCM (Body Control Module) which cost about $300 for part at firm then it needs to be programmed. Since I have changed in my Vue 2003 it has worked like new. All the drama of not starting, no power steering, flashing headlights, security locking, no power, etc.... all gone. Problems with BCM tells car someone is intruding or breaking into car so security systems sets in and car cannot start thats why you probably would see security light permanently on during your problems.

Don't waste time speculating anymore. Change BCM and your problems would be over.

Regards
  • tffpilottffpilot Member Posts: 4
    The other day I was out running around when I went to start the '05 VUE & nothing. was like you pulled the battery & said start it. I mean nothing. The kick is the car was running like a champ (no A/C) but other wise great. I had it towed back home at 0200 that morning the lights, 4 ways etc were on. I went out started it up like nothing wrong. Everything worked. Release the break & it was gone, no power. 5 mints. later inside light came on & fired right up. Did the same thing release break & nothing. waited little over 5mints & inside light came on started right up. I went to bed & the later that morning toke the car for a drive. Everything seems to be great. I dont understand. The only thing I did was swap the relay around from the engine main to the rear wiper. Any one every heard of this?
    The other day I was out running around when I went to start the '05 VUE & nothing. was like you pulled the battery & said start it. I mean nothing. The kick is the car was running like a champ (no A/C) but other wise great. I had it towed back home at 0200 that morning the lights, 4 ways etc were on. I went out started it up like nothing wrong. Everything worked. Release the break & it was gone, no power. 5 mints. later inside light came on & fired right up. Did the same thing release break & nothing. waited little over 5mints & inside light came on started right up. I went to bed & the later that morning toke the car for a drive. Everything seems to be great. I dont understand. The only thing I did was swap the relay around from the engine main to the rear wiper. Any one every heard of this?
  • alicekatsalicekats Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for posting this info; it proved invaluable! I, like many others, have had ignition problems with my 2003 Vue. My husband first replaced the ignition cylinder, which worked for a few days. Then he had to replace the housing. The key was coded for the new ignition. Imagine our dismay when we found that we couldn't start the stupid thing after all of that! After an hour of searching, your message was the ONLY helpful information I found. I followed your step-by-step instructions, and guess what?! IT WORKED! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!
    Your welcome, I am very glad it worked out for you. We were able to get our '05 VUE going as well. After a lot of searching we found it was a broken battery cable. That was the hole problem. We have also learned that when these things just shut off it can be any number of things from the transmission going out to a cable or what not.
  • tcorbin594tcorbin594 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a few random problems with this car over the past year and a half. Never anything that seemed to be serious. Well a few days ago I drove my car (about 1030pm) and it started perfectly, ran normal, etc. And the next morning (730am), I tried to start it and absolutely nothing! My first thought was the battery was dead, duh. Then I realized the dome lights were fine. So I tried to turn as much on as possible to see if I could strain the battery. I have an aftermarket stereo with subs that draws quite a bit of power. With the headlights and dome lights on, stereo cranked up, everything had enough power. I plugged the battery into the charger (while still hooked up to the car) and the pseudo-diagnostic charger told me the battery needed replacement. I had it towed to my trusted saturn dealer, and they can't find anything wrong with it after the new battery. I've read many articles with the electronics system going crazy on these vehicles and am a little worried. I just find this hard to believe that I have never had a problem with the battery and it suddenly is completely dead. Is anyone aware of anything that would suddenly fry the battery? or other ideas?
  • bdunhambdunham Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Just looking for maybe a common problem with these 2006 3.0 Vue's. I had my daughters car towed to my house, I have a no crank situation, the battery is at 12 volts on a hand held meter. When you turn the key to the crank position you can smell something burning quickly, I would suspect a starter but I've never smelt one burn this fast or bad, I tapped on it with a hammer hoping to free it up, no luck. Planing on taking off work tomorrow to re-ck. Any thoughts?
  • leonardhleonardh Member Posts: 1
    03 Saturn vue will not start at very inopportune times. May be at a stop sign and engine will die. Battery is fine, as well as starter. However, I can spray starter fluid in breather and it always starts and might run fine for a day or two, then the same thing all over again. Have replaced fuel pump with no improvement. Need advise.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Which motor? V6 I bet

I bet it always has this problem when the motor is hot and rarely if ever when the motor is cold 1st thing in the morning...if so, its likely that your crankshaft position sensor is shot. Its not too difficult if you're a DIY and not necessarily expensive if you have a mechanic do it as its easy to access.

They also go bad on the 4 cyl but its much less common...same symptoms
  • vuemastervuemaster Member Posts: 6
    Last month after months of noise that sounded like an airplane was following me on the highway, I need right rear wheel bearings cost $300. Now after smelling gas on and off outside the vue. Im told by my mechanic that I need a new gas tank. that the tank is leaking at the filler neck and seam :sick: The labor will be $195, with a choice of a new tank $475 or a used tank $175. Well I have to go with the used tank with my expense being $407 and my car will be ready Friday, 3 days from now. :cry: I have 74,850 miles on my vue all is great except for these expensive repairs. The plastic gas tank , is it bad to live in florida because of the heat
    My final words... My yellow lemon Vue is and always was a HUNK of JUNK! I sent it back to the bank and no longer have to worry about it anymore. I read a whole bunch of these posts and the final outcome. I lost the transmission in mine. I just couldn't keep up with all the issues. It would probably be an okay car for a mechanic or someone who can do the work themselves but not for a lady who just has no time be grease monkying around! Good Luck with your issues.
  • gbridgesgbridges Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 saturn vue with the same problems, the dash lights and gauges, headlights, remote door lock, basically everything that is wired through the passenger side fuse box. i like to start with the simple stuff. when i was checking the fuses and shook the fuse box when the fuse puller slipped off the fuse the power came back on to everything. i spent the next few months tappiing on the fuse box to get the power back on. when it happened at 80mph i decided to have it checked. the replaced the fuse box after finding a short. no problems since. dont waste your money on a new bcm.
  • feritoferito Member Posts: 1
    Hello. hope someone can help me about this issue I have with my Car, It try to start but not do it I saw gas indicator no move looks like any security issue is causing the problem.
    this problem start after in a morning when get home, before nigh my car was Ok, some mechanic say computer fail , an scanner indicate computer freeze. some thing like that. sorry for mi english. I hope my word be ok for understand, thanks in advance. :sick:
  • spartan16spartan16 Member Posts: 1
    hi, got a 2hand 2006 vue from a dealer last week. thought it won't give me a headache but just 1 day ago, the battery drained. I phoned the dealer and informed to get it charged, i charge & it worked, now, some of the Instrument panels indicator (ABS & T/C) went lights ON and stays for a long time, I read the manual that once these happen, there's something wrong, & suggests for check up. I went to the dealer and he instructed me to do some trouble shooting techniques. Taking off the (+) cble fr the battery, turn d ignition on for 15 mins, turn off then replace the cable back to the battery & restart the engine. I don't know if this would work. Does any body has a similar problem? pls help me out with these. thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    spartan16,
    Can you please email me directly? Feel free to include any information you have not in your message. I would like to discuss your situation further. I look forward to your message.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • monicapamonicapa Member Posts: 3
    Won't start - no lights - not even a security indicator (hoping that was the problem) - won't even turn over at all. Just put a new battery in yesterday, drove it home just fine, woke up this morning started just fine, drove to the gas station filled the tank -- got back in to start -- DEAD! Had to put it in neutral and pushed it into a parking spot. It's still at the gas station right now since it's a holiday weekend. So frustrated, any help or ideas would be soooo appreciated.
  • kizerskizers Member Posts: 3
    Last week, my odometer jumped from 96.7K miles on Friday to 40K Saturday morning, ran fine, started right up. Saturday afternoon I had 155K miles and my car would not start. Sunday morning, it started fine and we went and replaced the battery. Ever since then my odometer is still at 155K, my gas gauge randomly works, my security system light is on and my horn randomly honks as I am driving, my airbag light has not gone off and my tempature gauge moves to hot speratically and other lights randomly come on. I had it checked at the auto parts on the hand held computer and it is not registering anything wrong. Other than that it always starts right up and drives great. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    edited June 2011
    There's something going wrong with your Body Control Module - often called the BCM. It controls things like the gauges and the odometer. One of 2 issues:

1. The BCM grounds are corroded and need to be cleaned (not likely but worth mentioning)

2. The BCM needs to be replaced - its a dealer only repair as it has to be programmed by them when it is replaced. Its about a $ 700.00 repair at your local Saturn Authorized Service Center.

Good Luck...
    :shades:
    Thank you for you help with this. I guess I am going to get rid of my Saturn. Last year, I spent $1400.00 for the catalytic converters and in 2008 $800. for the Fuel pumps and fuel filter. I am tired off putting out a lot of money on it.

But I do appreciate your help!
    When I had the the sound of the airplane in the back of my 2003 Saturn Vue it was the Fuel pumps, I had to replace both and did the Fuel filter why they were in there anyway.
    Here's a hint...when you go to trade it in, the day before, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes and then reconnect it. It seems that when your BCM is on the way out, taking power off and then restoring 30 minutes later will reset it and it will work normally for a while. Hopefully just long enough for the dealer to make you an offer for it.

Best of Luck! :shades:
  • kingcatnevadakingcatnevada Member Posts: 1
    Before you take any suggestions via the internet check with a factory trained technician.

Any person with some mechanical or electrical skills can reset the Vue computer module.

Generally speaking removing the battery ground for one minute should
    reset the module.

There is a problem doing what seems to be a "fix". The modules have a volatile memory. Once the vehicle battery is disconnected all error codes are cleared out.

Once you do this a certified technician can not reproduce the error codes.
    In my case our 2006 Vue three years ago would randomly refuse to restart.
    There was no warnings.

I left it at a Saturn dealer for on week and suggested the service manager drive it home. He could never duplicate the problem.

After that I experienced the same problem several times. I carried the tools necessary to remove the battery cover and it's ground cable.

Like magic the vehicle has not refused to start for the last 2.5 years. I seriously doubt that I inadvertently cleaned a bad electrical connection.

I dislike to guess what caused this very annoying problem to happen. It appears as a software glitch. The service manager updated the modules
    software. I can not say or prove that was the problem

Our Vue has served us faithfully for five years with one problem. Perhaps the key to it's reliability is that it always has been service at a Saturn dealer. I recently was offer as much as we paid for the Vue in trade in on a new car. I decline to part with a car that looks and drives like it did the day we picked it up from the Saturn dealer.

Any vehicle can have problems. Most come from poor maintaince and bad driving habits. All we all know Saturn vehicles are no longer built. There are around 300 in the town we live in. Most are on the road daily. I was extremely surprised to see how well they keep their value.
  • addidas40addidas40 Member Posts: 14
    My situation is the same as many others who have posted. I purchased a 2003 Saturn Vue NEW. My Vue had 86,013 miles on it when we noticed that it was having trouble shifting gears. On May 31, 2001 on our way home on the highway it started making a loud screeching noise and would not go over 10 miles. When we took it in to have it serviced at the dealership we were told that the VTi transmission was out and that this was a common problem with this type of transmission. The only thing that Saturn offered was to pay half of the total amount of $6000.00 to have it repaired. We do not have $3000.00 for a car repair plus I am very leery about putting $3000.00 into my car. We contacted three other places to see about getting a transmission and were told that the VTi transmissions could not be rebuilt because they would malfunction again and again. This seemed to be a well known problem among the mechanics I contacted. A different transmission would have to be put in. We were also told that we could trade in the Saturn for $5000.00 but we would have to buy a new GM car. Why would I want to buy another GM vehicle when they show no accountability in the handling the defects for the Vti transmission? Saturn is currently in a lawsuit over the Vti transmissions. I was transferred to the legal dept when I contacted Saturn about the problem to a woman who was no help. Prior to this we had electrical problems with the BCM three years after we purchased it and had to have it replaced. The car would not start sometimes, the horn kept going off, the lights would flicker and unhooking the battery was only a temporary solution. Here are some resources below for those of you in the same situation. GM will not do anything that is not beneficial to them. They hike the price of the dealer repairing the transmission by 100% (about $6000.00) so that it will look like they are paying half. They also expect for you to invest more money in GM to buy a new vehicle before they give you the $5000.00 trade in value.
    You can file complaints with:
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Website http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Better Business Bureau
    Website http://www.bbb.org/

Post your problem for the VTi transmission on forum boards

Tweet and Facebook your experience on the GM pages

Write your local politicians
    Congressmen, local officials and attorney general you can find your local officials at c-span. You may have to Google your state and attorney general separately to find out who that is.
    http://www.c-span.org/CongressDirectory/

Last but not least you can write the CEO of GM
    Mr. Daniel Akerson
    CEO GM
    300 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265
  • jeffbond1jeffbond1 Member Posts: 1
    Earlier this year my 3-year old switched the lights on our view from "automatic" to "on"--the battery quickly ran down and after I jumped it the dashboard display was reset and unreadable--and it cost 600.00 to replace (of course we'd just gone over our 36,000 mile warranty).

This morning I went to start the car and it's completely dead. The key is now stuck in the ignition and the car is stuck in park; I see no way to remove the key or move the shift lever, and I'm stuck in our driveway with no access for another car to give me a jump. I love driving this car but wow--I have a Toyota with 120,000 miles on it that has never had a major repair. This thing now strikes me as incredibly unreliable. How the heck do I get it in neutral at least?
    jeffbond1,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    You should feel lucky your three year old did not start the car.

I strongly suggest taking your Vue to a qualifyed repair shop and never let a three year old play with knobs or switches in any vehicle. :sick:
    First you have to get the key out, then you can deal....

1. Try this, turn the steering wheel back and forth while you gingerly try to wiggle the key and hopefully it will loosen enough so you can turn it to where you can get it out. Don't force the key...last thing you want to do is break it.

2. Then, do not use that key but instead, use your spare key...the Saturn keys tend to wear out and not work in the ignition. IF you don't have a spare, get the dealer to make one from your VIN # and not from the worn out one

3. If even the newer key won't turn either, try using a little powdered graphite in the key hole before you put the key in. you can get it at Home Depot...use it sparingly, a little goes a long way. Don't use something like WD40 or you are asking for other issues.

Once you get the key to turn you can deal with the dead battery...

Good Luck.
  • cocacolamancocacolaman Member Posts: 1
    About a year ago, my 2008 Saturn Vue wouldn't start one morning before work. My neighbor jump started it for me when I was at work, and took it over to a garage, where nobody had an explaination as to what was wrong. The battery was fine, the alternator, everything. And the car was fine since.

About 2 months ago, I noticed at night that my Hazard Light button and the headlight switch are lit up. I was afraid I might have a dead battery, but never seem to. This weekend, my car wouldn't start two times. I took it to my brother-in-law this morning. He said that everything checks out perfect on it, and it started right up for him.

Am I losing my mind? Can anybody tell me if they have come across similar things? I am getting fed up with the GM dealerships, because they all seem to not give a rats butt when I call them. PLEASE PLEASE someone help me out here!

Adam Pfingstl
    Dazed and Confused!
    cocacolaman,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please go more into detail on the problems you have encountered with the GM dealership? Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • steelheart214steelheart214 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, 3 times in the last year. YES, I took it in too and they couldn't find anything wrong. It's acting up again and I know what will happen. Waste my valuable time taking it in and they won't find nothing wrong!!!! I came online to see if anybody else was having issues and came across this web page.
    steelheart214,
    Has the dealer involved Technical Assistance? If not, I would recommend asking them to do so. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • carsingaragecarsingarage Member Posts: 1
    2008 Saturn Vue XE, The original battery gave up the ghost. It would not hold a charge and failed current draw test. No big deal right ! I purchased a new battery and installed it. The car would not crank. All dash lights and systems seemed to work correctly but no crank. Disconnected battery to reset ECU. Tried waiting 10 minutes, 1 hour and over night. Same situation. On first start the anti theft light came on before crank and never again. Clearly something was not right. Long story short, after pulling each fuse for ECU, TCU and BCM one at a time the car would then crank and start. Due to either the low voltage from the bad battery or replacing the battery the TDM was not talking to the other modules correctly. I hope this keeps someone from pulling their hair out during what should be a simple battery replacement.
  • arcticvuearcticvue Member Posts: 1
    Hey Carsingarage:
    Sounds like I'm having the same or similar problem with my 2008 Saturn Vue Redline. Walked out to it yesterday, acted like a dead battery. Was able to jump start it last night, but walked out this morning - same thing. I realized that it might be more complex than a dead battery. :(
    Just to make sure that I don't misunderstand, you're saying that you replaced the fuses, not just pulled and put back, to get your Saturn to crank? Are you saying that after all of that, the TDM still does not talk to the other modules correctly?
    Also, I've read about Saturns having BCM issues. Is it possible that I instead or also have a BCM problem?
    Finally, do you think that there is a possibility that my battery is O.K., but that I just need to go through the fuse pulling process? (I'm being hopeful)
    arcticvue,
    I would recommend speaking with your GM dealer of choice. Thank you for posting your concerns. Please keep me updated on your progress. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • brooke_april84brooke_april84 Member Posts: 1
    I have been problems starting 2002 Saturn Vue for about a month now. First we thought it was the fuel pump, and it's not. The car will turn over but 90% of the time will not turn on. When it does actually start, it spits and sputters and if you hit the gas it will stay on. However, I can't get it to start again. The car turns over fine but I cannot get it to turn on. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
  • jmac19jmac19 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem where the 2002 Vue would just shut off whlie driving, hen it wouldn't restart until it sat for a while.

The garage replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor and this seems to be working so far.

Has anyone else replaced this?