Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Tahoe dome lights stay on

hlofhlof Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
Stopped at a stopsign the other night. When I tapped the brake the dome/interior lights came on! I got them to go back off by depressing the "dome override" button a couple of times but now they stay on all the time. I have to keep the override button pressed in.

Anybody got a clue??

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are three or four posts here where people have had a similar problem, but no good solution has been posted that I can find.

Here's one suggestion:

mitzij, "Chevy Tahoe" #4486, 12 Apr 2004 9:56 am

If you click on the Chevrolet Suburban & Tahoe link above, you can do a search just on the Tahoe for dome light and see the other posts. The search box is at the top right of that page. Maybe one of the older posts will give you an idea of what to test.
  • Options
    olearymagolearymag Member Posts: 4
    Same problem, dome light on my 93 Mercury Marquis stays on even after ignition turned off, drains battery
  • Options
    ramapokidramapokid Member Posts: 5
    I have 2007 santa Fe. I do not subscribe to XM radio. How do you negate the XM radio control, so as you use steering wheel controls to cycle through AM, FM, and CD player, XM is bypassed?
  • Options
    teamsalmonteamsalmon Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Tahoe and mine will do the same thing. It's absolutly annoying. I also have to hit the override button. At the same time I will have an error message on my DIC saying "left rear door adjar" although he door is not adjar! This happens for no apparent reason, while I'm at a stop sign, driving on the freeway, whatever. It will also go off whenever it decides it's frustrated me enough. I would love to hear from others who may be having this same problem. My husband thinks it's an electrical short of some sort; I kind of think it's a sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Sounds like your left door switch is defective, which is incorrectly sensing that the door is open....which is why your dome light is going on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.....I will check into that. Whatever this is that's causing it is driving me crazy. Not only will "left rear door ajar" appear, but my dome lights stay on until i bypass them....BUT....my drivers side door will not lock with the auto lock...it immediately unlocks again when I hit the switch. Almost like a saftey feature is activated...like not being able to lock your vehicle with the keys in the ignition. ALSO because it thinks the door is open, my radio immediately turns off when I turn the key off, usually it will stay on until you open a door but not now. UGGHHH... any other help or info on this is greatly appreciated. Thank again kiawah for the speedy response :)
  • Options
    Yep, those are all symptoms that can be caused by a bad door switch.

The vehicle has a body control module, which is a separate computer the manages many of the lights, door locks, power to radios, etc. A bad switch could be sending a door open condition to the computer, which is then not allowing a lot of other things to happen as 'normal' conditions.

Go check the switch.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up; I will get it checked out ASAP.
  • Options
    olearymagolearymag Member Posts: 4
    My 98 Saab is running extremely hot, just replaced radiator and still running extremely hot, the old radiator was singed (white) at the bottom of the radiator, the head gasket was deemed OK, thermostat opens OK. temperature gauge reads normal temperature. Any suggestions appreciated.

olearymag
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You're in the wrong place. Post your question in the Saab 9-3 Convertible forum.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    butch25butch25 Member Posts: 1
    I recently aqquired a 1995 model. It had the same problem. In checking I saw that with the drivers door shut, the panel was not depressing the switch. I applied a surface shim to the panel at the contact point which now depresses the switch fully. I still think I might shut it off at the dash if I were going to leave it unattended for any length of time. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    fcoxfcox Member Posts: 7
    Dave,

Can you elaborate on the door switch comment.. Is this inside the door panel or a sensor around the perimeter that can be replaced? Same problem as others with the Tahoe/Burb but on "Right Rear Door Ajar"... Thanks!
  • Options
    There's a ncouple different types of door switches on different makes and years of vehicles.
    - plunger type switch. If you open the door and look around the complete edge of the opening, if you have a plunger type switch it will have a top that is sticking out. When the door is shut, it makes physical contact with the top and is depressed in. Sometimes the switch is up on the front hinge edge, other times you may find them on the back edge. Sometimes you'll find them as a metal topped plunger, other times a rubber waterproof plunger.

- door latch opener switch. If you don't have one of the above, then most likely it is inside the door itself on the latching mechanism. The latching mechanism is on the back edge of the door, and typically engages a metal post on the cars pillar. You'll have to take the inside door panel off to get to it.
  • Options
    wildwoodtonywildwoodtony Member Posts: 1
    Hey kiawah.
    Did a door latch assy. fixed your problem? I having same problem with Rt rear door ajar and I have replaced with a new latch assy. After a long wiring diagnostic I've noticed a body control module under a steering column there is a wire harness connect to BCM, when you wiggle test each wire harness it will go away then it comes back on again.
  • Options
    swifty20swifty20 Member Posts: 8
    I think its a senor issue. Happened to me and had to replace the door sensor.
This discussion has been closed.