Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Noises/Clunks/Squeaks

kylea30kylea30 Member Posts: 4
I have a 1999 TC and I have been hearing a ticking noise that sounds exactly like the turn signal, only the signal does not blink. It usually happens when I hit bumps or when I am going uphill, but sometimes it is simply random. It sounds like its coming from behind the gauges. Also, it usually only ticks once or twice at a time. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    If its behind the clock, could it be a time bomb? :blush:
  • kylea30kylea30 Member Posts: 4
    My steering has started sqeaking at low speeds. Any ideas what the problem could be and about how much it will cost to fix?
    The ball joints were lubed at the factory and over time the covers disintegrate and the lube escapes or dries out. Not expensive if treated right away with new lube and covers,but if put off, new ball joints will be needed due to excessive wear. A lube/suspension tech will NOT be expensive if you are quick to repair.
  • hhullehhulle Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am having the same exact problem

Did you find out what it was ???

Thanks
    Nope, no idea. I haven't noticed it in a few days, but I also haven't been paying that close of attention to it so it might have stopped. Good luck figuring it out!
  • oldmoeoldmoe Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Town Car has a loud squeak that seems to come from somewhere in the exhaust system that is really hard to pinpoint. It is most noticeable when the car is cold and just starting out. I tried to use some lubricant on the tailpipe hangars, but this didn't help. Naturally, the problem doesn't exist at the dealership. The car has less than 19k miles,so I don't think anything is worn out. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • jmetzlerjmetzler Member Posts: 1
    noise in 98 town car.
    The noise sounds like you are running on the bumps that are on the side of road(rumble strips)It happens at 20MPH or higher. It lasts a few seconds and at different times. It might make the noise once every few miles, but certain time.
    Any ideas?
  • jrokjrok Member Posts: 9
    i'm having a problem with my 1990 lincolin towncar too, if i just put it in drive and don't give it any gas i can hear a rattling sound, if i roll up my windows its barely audible.. i hear the sound louder when i turn my steering wheel. and soemtimes when i turn on my ac and am idling, the rpms seem to drop and then i hear that rattling noise at its loudest, could it be my exahust? i just got a dual flowmaster set up thing goign on.. i didn't think it would be my exahust because of the turning of the steering wheel. any help would be appreciated.
  • caddad1caddad1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend with the same problem you described, a clicking like the turn signal makes, when the ignition switch is in the on or run position, with no dash lamps flashing. 99 town car. Have you found out what the cause is? Thanks
    I still have no clue what is making the ticking noise. It seemed to not make the noise through the winter, but when it started warming up it came back. It seems to happen when I am going uphill or when I hit bumps. So far it hasn't affect the car in any way so hopefully its nothing big.
  • tbrecheentbrecheen Member Posts: 4
    I have owned many Lincolns in the last 15 years and everytime I have had the same problem you describe it has always 100% of the time been that the transmission fluid needs servicing. It sould like you are running over little bumps in the road but the road is smooth. Have your tranny serviced and your problem should go away.
  • wmcole2wmcole2 Member Posts: 1
    For several months a "thump-thump" sound was heard when the '95 TC, (110,000 mi), drove over small road bumps, especially when on one side or the other. At times, the sound seemed to emanate from lower rear, so we replaced the shocks. The sound continued, but more-clearly from the lower front. Mechanic used bionic earls to isolate the source, and found worn sway bar links on both sides. Links replaced, and no more "thumps". I am surprised at the failure, as car has always been gently driven. Hope this helps someone with same symptom.
    After removing the junk from the trunk, the problem was the spare tire was not securely tightened down by the Wing nut. In attempting to tighten the plastic nut, it broke, so it has been replaced by a metal Wing nut.

No more rattle over the bumps. ;)
  • 99towncarexec99towncarexec Member Posts: 160
    The "speedo" cable will make a clicking noise of sorts when it's going bad.
  • fastfrofastfro Member Posts: 1
    I've brought my car back to the dealership at least five times, only to have them replace the hood stops or lubricate them. Neither of these efforts does anything to releive the constant noise. This runs perfectly fine except for the fact that it makes more noise than a gargage truck.

Any ideas out there?
    Spray an abundant amount of WD40 in, on, over, under, and around the front hood locking area. While you're at it. Spray at all the connections holding the radiator.
  • jkdetjkdet Member Posts: 4
    Trying to figure out where the heck this rattling/clanking noise is coming from when I drive my 95 town car. Its only when the car is in motion and seems to be when I drive over bumps. Please help......
    Our 94 TC was quieted when I secured the spare tire & related tools in the trunk shelf. Suggest you remove everything from the trunk including the spare and tools and drive it to see if the rattles continue.

On our 94 I discovered where two metal plates behind the spare were contacting each other. I wedged them apart and inserted a sponge. The plates run from left to right.

Sometimes it helps to have somebody drive over bumps while you're in the trunk with a flashlight to more accurately see to hear.
    Thanks fo the info. I will try this and let u know the results. Thanks again JKDET
    Took eveything out of the trunk and rode back there still cant figure out what the heck. Did take the center cap off the wheels and still the noise is there. Could this maybe be the breaks somehow? Thanks JKDET
    Not knowing the miles on the car, I recommend you put it on a hoist and examine the exhaust system. Some Town Cars have a dual exhaust which can double your trouble of their rattling.

When you find the source you will feel wonderfully good.
    The car has 200,00 miles and I will have the exhaust checked tomorrow. will let you know what I find out. Thanks dude for he help. JKDET
  • cdberkmancdberkman Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2011
    I have a 2004 Town Car, 75000 Miles. I have a creaking noise that I cannot for the life of me, pinpoint. This noise is coming from the front driver’s side. It will only make noise when the car is in motion, turning from side to side (more noticeable at slower speeds). I cannot hear any noise if I physically push on the front of the car or rock it back and forth (Outside the car). Again this only happens when the car is in motion. The noise will disappear when it is wet outside, either during or just after rain or carwash. Once everything dries up, the noise re-appears. I also have a noise what appeared to be something loose behind the dashboard (same side). I ripped everything apart (inside the car) and cannot find anything. This knocking noise started before the creaking noise and now I think they are both connected. When it is wet outside, both noises disappear. The weird thing is that the one noise sounds like it is coming from inside the car (behind the dashboard) and the other sounds like a suspension creak. Took it to the dealer twice and they could not find anything. Note: I cannot feel anything in the steering, suspension, the car drives perfectly straight, does not pull.
    You've got a dry ball joint. All it needs is an injection of grease and that can be done by an independent service station repair shop. The dash noise is not related to the squeeky ball joint.
    Thanks for the response. I have been avoiding puching holes in the boots to greese them, but looks like my last option. It's one of those things that if you can't prove it to me and I can't see it, I will fight it all the way. You would think that they would come up with something "inspectable" to avoid causing any unnessessary, unintentially induced problems trying to troubleshoot. I will give it an attempt next weekend and post what if anything has changed. (if indead it hasn't rained). Today it rained and both noises disappeard at the same time.
    Grease was injected in the LF ball joint of our TC in 2001 and it has been silent since. The passenger side has been quiet for 150,000 miles. Hope this works for you. :)
    Again, thanks. Hope it works. Just need some time off and good weather to do it. I will let you know how it works. :)
  • jake_omgjake_omg Member Posts: 3
    have you tried seeing if it was your clock spring?? Or is it a digital gauge cluster? I'm not to familiar with these year models but does it even have an analog clock? And if it does,the spring may have broke and it may be rattling around. Either that or its your actual turn signal *clicker*
    Well, its not the ball joints, tie rods, or stabilizer links. I injected grease into all of the boots. Same sound. It got a little better once I soaked the bushings all over the front end. So I am how leaning towards bushings. Just wish there weren't a thousand of them.
  • todd007etodd007e Member Posts: 4
    if you havent found out what it could be.... on my town car i had the same damn noise, i thought it was everything... for me it was the latcg on the hood of the car, it was rubbing metal on meatal jus enough when i drove and or closed the doors. all i did was grease it up pretty good and POW, im suddenly not crazy. lol. hope this helps you, Todd
    Funny that you brought that up. Thanks, but that was another problem that I fixed a long time ago. I had to get rid of the car a few months ago due to engine compression problems and was in the process of replacing the front stabilizer bushing just before that. I will never know what that noise was. I bought another 2004 and it had that same annoying noise coming from the hood so recognizing that noise led me straight to it. Now same year car, less miles, no accidents, one owner, and the car drives like brand new and most importantly..........NO WEIRD NOISES!
    ok, i have recently changed my iac, on my 1999 town car with 80,000 miles on it. it was stalling before when i turned the ac on.. any ways that problem went away, now last week istarted to get this humming noise from the iac, or the throttle body, maybe the plastic box muffler thing that goes from the iac to the back of the air intake tube... i thought it was gonna be the iac, but i just changed it again and it still does it. the noise is when im at idle or just coasting, it is so annoying and defently can hear it from outside/ inside the car. the noise will stop when i give it some gas.. any thought on here???? im really not wanting to take it in a shop and they tell me something crazy!!!
    To be clear, is it a humming noise or does it sound like a gurgling noise?
    this noise here is a humming sound, or howling noise... i also have a dang gurgling noise at a very slight press of the gas pedal, but no shop has been able to figure that out either, lol
  • instructeeinstructee Member Posts: 1
    I took My 2000 Lincoln towncar to the shop to have a new alternator and battery put in.
    Since then when riding along; I have this sound that mimics the sound of the engine.
    along with the hearing the engine( if that makes any since). I returned it to the shop and the
    machanic can't find the problem. Any suggestions?
    If it sounds like its coming from the speaker, you may have a bad ground wire. Common when tbe alternater/battery are touched. There is normally a capacitor in line to stop electrical noises from feeding into tbe stereo system. Other option is Radio Shack. You will want a noise filter.
    after all this work... it came down to thatt the noise was from the autozone iac, i guess the holes where just differant enough to make that hum noise..which drove me nuts.. i bought the ford iac from the dealer and put it on, and BAM.. sound is now gone.. thank goodness
  • bigbug369bigbug369 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I have the same problem with my car 2000 Lincoln I've repair the IAC twice and the sound is still there. I've heard it can also be the hooter hose but it seems to be in good condition. Its just a head ache and the noise is loud and annoying. Please help. I bought the part from Auto zone twice do I have to buy it from the Ford dealership.
  • cudachick9659cudachick9659 Member Posts: 1
    BODY MOUNTS! for the sound of suspension when in motion with vehicle and turning towards either direction. :smiley: