Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The body repair stuff I've found online hasn't been all that good, but you may want to check anyway, since a lot of it is free (I haven't looked for Mitsubishi info).

Online Repair Manuals
  • Options
    maroonmontymaroonmonty Member Posts: 5
    Just to let everyone know - 6731 is NOT a standard code, at least not for a 2001 Montero LTD - trust me! :cry: I have one more false code to go before locking it up, for the second time.

I can verify that by leaving the radio on while running around town the radio will go from Lock to Code mode. Just dont try to turn down the volume on the radio if you are playing your tunes through an ipod w/speakers - your kids will laugh at you.
  • Options
    avieraaviera Member Posts: 2
    I read the manual and started looking at the fuses underneath the driver side (steering wheel side), and sure enough I was able to locate the bad fuse (blue in color "10". It was easy to pull (using the convienent tool enclosed in the fuse box) and examine the fuse that was bad. In addition to the "forceps" enclosed in the fuse box are several different size spare fuses to replace the bad fuses. It took me five minutes to examine the fuses and determine, just with a visual eye, the fuse that was bad. I'm curious to see what the dealership and/or mechanic would have charged me for labor and parts? I took the money saved and treated my wife and boy's to dinner!! :D
  • Options
    facianefaciane Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 montero sport LS ,when i come to a stop,or when i slow down
    it dies out on me,
    can someone tell me the problem with it ,an how to fix it myself

P.S i have to hold the breaks down,an give it a little gas to keep it run'ing

THANKS
  • Options
    gish498gish498 Member Posts: 1
    Hey i am just curious if u ever found out what the raddlin noise was that sounds like it is comin from the fan area i have almost the same problem except my stops when u rev the motor up. Any help would be awesome thanks.
  • Options
    bariesangelsbariesangels Member Posts: 1
    This is my second 2001 Montero Limited and for the second time, I can not open my cargo door. The lever is stuck. has anyone else had this problem.
  • Options
    usairfousairfo Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem a couple of winters ago. Sprayed WD40 onto the sides of the handle, worked it a few times and havent had any problems..
  • Options
    mrsformrsfor Member Posts: 6
    since i have experienced most of the same problems that are on this board (4wd, radio not working, etc... thanks for the info, btw!), i'll ask this as well.... does anyone have trouble with an extremely noisy undercarriage? my mechanic says it is the bushings, but it sounds like the underside of my car is going to fall apart (2002 montero sport ls) and it also squeaks, squeals, and rattles while driving down the road... any suggestions??? it's getting embarassing, but i don't want to have it in the shop for just bushings and have to take it back for something else.... thanks!!!
    amy
  • Options
    aidaraidar Member Posts: 1
    It happened that the Mitsubishi Montero had been running on the same oil for about 25 k miles :( further, the oil was replaced and nothing seems to be wrong with the car now - what potentialy could come out of that - what might I'll have to replace in the future because of that irresponsible exploitation? Also are the pics of the engine crossections in the internet?
  • Options
    tminettitminetti Member Posts: 1
    I had my serivce engine light come on, I had auto zone plug in their tool and it gave me a reading that said the crankshaft sensor was going out, then I called some repair shops and they said that I should get my timing belt replace with it, is this true, or are they just trying to get me to spend more money?
  • Options
    qp68qp68 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Montero Sport
    Intermittent starting problem. Electrical problem?

Car won't start.
    Sometimes turning key from "off" to "on" position nothing happens. No lights, bells, etc ...

Sometimes turning key from "off" to "on" everything is OK. I get lights, bells, etc ... But, when turning to the "start" position all lights go off and no sounds. No starter clicking or anything.

If I fiddle with the battery cables. Wiggle them, take them off and put them back on again. It will start. Not sure if I have to consistently take them off to get a start.

It will start again for about the next one to two hours. If I wait overnight it won't start. Have to mess with the cables again.

Battery and alternator have been tested at Autozone. Battery retested at Sears. Everything OK.

Any ideas. I am afraid this is going to cost a lot more money.

Took it to a shop and it wouldn't happen for them. But, that was when it was working more than not. And now it is more not.

Idiots confession - after reading some on the web I thought it had to be an ignition switch problem. Guy at the shop wasn't sure but, I told him to go ahead and replace it since it was my wife's car. I guessed incorrectly ... $250.

Have done some searching but, have not found this problem described online.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks
  • Options
    mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Intermitant stuff is always tuff. From what you have said in your post, it sounds like a malfunctioning alarm or burned out fusible link. Here is what you can do to figure it out and not be inconvienanced.

On your starter there is a small wire conected to the solinoid. This wire powers your starter to start. This power comes from your switch through an alarm if you have one, to a relay, through a harness down to the starter. If you can connect a cheep remote starter switch to it and a visible 12v light wired in. The next time it doesn't start, see if the light lights ups when you turn the key. If it doesn't, its something interfering with the power going down to your starter. Then to get on your way, hit the remote starter switch with the key in the run position. If this light does light up when you try and crank it, and it doesn't crank. Bad starter most likely or not enough voltage to that wire, only enough to light up the light. If it will start now with the remote starter switch, then you deffinitely have something interfering with the proper voltage of about 12 volt + or - about a half volt.
  • Options
    vw73superbeevw73superbee Member Posts: 2
    Hey I own a 2002 Montero Sport with 335,000 miles. :) I am the original owner. Original tranny and engine, no overhaul or major component replacements. The vehicle runs like a champ with plenty of power and only rarely smokes when it idles for a long time. However here recently I have been going through alternators like crazy. I have changed it about 5 times in the last year and a half. :cry: This past time I noticed when I changed it and then drove it at night that the headlights pulse and flicker bright and then dim. It even does it at highway speeds. It looks like a police car when they fllicker. I have checked all the connections and the parts place tested the alternator and battery and both are good. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what did you do or does anyone have a suggestion as to what could be wrong. I need some help.....Thanks.
  • Options
    mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Sounds like the internal regulator is having difficulty charging the system. Check for coroded battery ends, and or resistance in the B terminal wire. The B terminal is the big fat wire on the back of the alternater that leads to the battery. Loose cable ends will also cause this. Also make sure the alternator is grounded real good. Montero's are weird about grounds on the engine. Sometimes a ground wire will come loose or get removed by mistake. Think of your problem as the alternater having difficulty forcing current through the system. Something is loose or a bad connection somewhere.
  • Options
    bigrob3bigrob3 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the dealer plugs on my 01 Montero LTD with NGK Iridium plugs, and following the advise of a shop technician, poured an entire can of Sea Foam in the tank. My truck began smoking like crazy, sputtering an eventually shut off. Will not turn over. And ideas anyone???? :-)
  • Options
    ocmonteroocmontero Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. It looks like I need an expert opinion. Recently I did a complete tune up and also changed the radiator, water pump, thermostat, belts etc on my vehicle at about 79k. Everything seems to be fine except that when I am stuck in traffic for extended periods of time, the fan mounted on the front of radiator seems like it doesn't kick in. If I turn the AC this will start just fine, but I guess after a while will quit working and I can see my temperature gauge going above it's normal operating level.
    I don't quite know what may be the cause, and what will take to fix it??? Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
  • Options
    mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Hmm. The new thermostat could be faulty or maybe you kinked a wire (for the fan) while swapping out the radiator. How's your coolant level? Since you changed it too, it typically needs to be topped off one more time after the engine has reached operating temperature a few times. One last thing, how far above the normal opeating range is the temperature gauge reaching? Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for your answer. The funny part is that if I turn ON the AC it will work just fine. The fan (in question) in front of the radiator will kick in and work fine, but I guess sometimes it doesn't start when engine idles and AC is turned on. Yesterday I was in a parking structure and the needle went close to 3/4 up on (not on red) and the fan did not started. I was wondering if it is the fan relay on the fuse box or if it has a thermo-switch...? A little lost here...
  • Options
    I think you're on to something. Seems like it's gotta be the switch. Also, Autozone and Advance Auto have very useful troubleshooting tools on their websites. Check your owner's manual, it may have a diagram of the fuse, relay, and switch locations. Again, good luck with everything.
  • Options
    jschoenbergerjschoenberger Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone..new to the forum...I have a 2002 Montero Limited 101,000 miles. For the past six months my temperature guage has been running hot...sometimes it will bounce up and down, but for the most part it goes straight to Hot after running for only about 5 minutes. The dealership has tried everything...they replaced the T-Stat and temp gauge sending unit twice, and the thermostat. The engine isn't overheating. The last time they looked at it, they found a small crack on the circuit board that controls the gauges, so they suggested replacing the board. It is currently on order...

It's been in the shop 6 times to troubleshoot..anyone else have this sort of problem and can give me some advice?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    gracevgracev Member Posts: 2
    The sunroof of my 2002 Montero suddenly stopped working. It opens fine, when I try to close it, it makes a grinding noise, moves a tiny bit, then stops. Anyone else have this problem? What to do?!
  • Options
    Have you tried lubricating the tracks? That might do it for you.
  • Options
    cash75063cash75063 Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 2000 Montero Sport 2 wheel drive auto. 112000 miles on it. It runs great, but
    there is a clunk in the front suspension. A local repair chain told me it was the lower ball joints. I've replace them and while I was in there I replaced the uppers and the tie-rod ends also. I still have a clunk. It happens when I'm turning left or right.
    What's left that could be clunking in there.
    -Thanks
  • Options
    vw73superbeevw73superbee Member Posts: 2
    very well could be sway bar bushings worn or even possibly a strut/shock thats worn or mount loose. Could even possibly be a motor mount. What about wheel bearings. Just a thought. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought about sway bar bushings... If that's the case, I couldn't care less about the clunk. I hadn't thought about wheel bearings. If I lift the tire off the ground, if the bearings are lose, would I be able to 'wobble' the wheel back and forth? I ask because when I had the wheels off and I replaced everything I listed, I tried wobbling the wheels from top to bottom and back and forth. I couldn't feel any looseness. Would the looseness be something I could feel? Also, the outside edges of the tires are wearing very fast. Camber is very obvious.
    -Cash
  • Options
    mrsformrsfor Member Posts: 6
    I had the big clunk, too!! I drive a 2002 Montero Sport. We recently crossed 100K miles, and we live in the mountains, so it gets worn down pretty quickly, but just in case it helps... My big clunk was a broken axle!!! My sway bar bushings are screwed up also, and the noise almost kept us from realizing that the axle was one of the big roots of the real problem. Also, all of our wheel bearings were shot. The mechanic said that we were lucky that they didn't catch fire. The clue on the wheel bearings was an unbearable squeal that came and went at sporadic and unpredictable times. Don't know if that will help, but hope it does!
  • Options
    Is yours 4 wheel drive?
    -Cash
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've purchased an 02 Montero Sport 4x4-3.5L
    It seems to be funny, but after I took it in for a major timing belt, tensionner, water pump, tune up, radiator change, I notice that when engine it is cold it has a noise at start up. This noise will go away as engine warms up and it will be performing properly right after.
    Also my "service engine soon" light came on and it says misfiring at cylinder 1 (if the person at the shop read it correct).
    Is this something that I should be concerned in the near future? As I said, after less than a minute the noise is going away.
    I also use synthetic oil (5w30) and yesterday I did add some additive (Motor Protect made by Lubro Molly), as the vehicle it has less than 83k miles on it.

Your opinion and a possible advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
  • Options
    matrsoskinmatrsoskin Member Posts: 32
    Hi ocmontero!
    If it is a high pitch noise, you have a belt problem (serpentine etc.) Which one would be hard to determine: all belts had to be replaced in my former 2005 BMW 325xi to have this cold start noise to disappear.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Thank you for your response! This seems to make sense...even though the shop who did the work said it may me coming from inside engine.
    One thing that ticks me off is the fact that I get that "engine service soon" light coming on...and the code it points to misfire at cyl 1 or so...

It gets a little confusing at my end...
    Thank you much!!!
  • Options
    lewismlewism Member Posts: 1
    Did the new circuit board work?
    Thanks
    Lew
  • Options
    mabbottmabbott Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 1999 montero 86.000 miles. previous owner used amsoil. should i continue the same. what is the easiest way to get owners manual.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might find an owner's manual on eBay. Otherwise try Helm.
  • Options
    soulful1soulful1 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Misubishi Montero XLS, after a year of having this vehicle the car dealer had to replace the whole transmission. Every year after that I have brought the truck in at least once and it ended up being something with the transmission. I bring in every year for the full maintenance. This year 2008 I had the timing belt replaced and other items fixed bx I was told I needed to per the car dealership almost $2000. My SUV has 132,000 miles on and no other problems. I told them to fix the rattling noise which they stated was a pulley and I still had the noise when I picked it up. Now they are telling me it is the torque converter. I feel like I am being ripped off. Really, shouldn't they have known this prior to all the other stuff they did? They want $2300 more. This truck is nothing but a money pit! Any comments would help me understand why I should be responsible. I am NOT a mechanic to understand this.
  • Options
    mrosauermrosauer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Montero limited. The same thing happened to my temp gauge a few days ago. Took it to my local mechanic. He checked the engine temp with his computer and the sender unit that connects to the engine management computer. The temp was OK. He checked the engine temp with a temperature probe, also OK. He tried an alternative sender unit, gauge still ran up to thermo-nuclear meltdown. His conclusion: the gauge is bad. He sent me to a dealer as he doesn't replace gauges as they are part of a cluster. He estimated a dealer will charge $600-$1000 to replace or 3-4 weeks to get repaired. He charged $45. I called a dealer, they wouldn't even give me a ballpark price without seeing the car. Let me know if a new cluster solves your problem. Is $600-$1000 in the ballpark?
  • Options
    ellswrtellswrt Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Montero XLS with 73k that started doing the temp gauge thing last week. We've replaced the T-stat, fluid, cleaned the temp gauge sensors and still the same thing. The radiator is not over-boiling from the cap or into the reservoir, and we don't have any leakage from the engine block. Did you have your water pump, belts and radiator cap checked for proper operation? Those were some of the additional suggestions made to us (which we have looked at).

Did replacing your circuit board fix the problem?
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestions...the dealer still hasn't called me to say the circuit board is in...I'm starting to have my doubts that they know what they are doing. I'm going to call them tomorrow about it...when I get the circuit board replaced I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Jackie
  • Options
    Hi! Sorry I didn't get back to you...the part still isn't in. When I get it done I'll let you know if it worked or not.

Jackie
  • Options
    lrowelllrowell Member Posts: 1
    have them check the free wheel clutch solenoid valve, that's what was wrong with mine
  • Options
    drdamm21drdamm21 Member Posts: 3
    Well I cant find my owners manual after a move and I need to know how many quarts of super dexron to put in after a flush? thanks for the help sory its a 3.0l 2wd
  • Options
    drdamm21drdamm21 Member Posts: 3
    sory its a 3.0l 2wd
  • Options
    fastvwg60fastvwg60 Member Posts: 2
    ok buddy i mean to tell you what you are having problems with, is not your temp sending unit, or your thermostat, the problem with your montero is in your tem gauge. I know so because I had the same problem with my 2001 a few months back. I personaly checked it with a laser thermostat, and the trucks temp
    was at normal teperature. I too changed the temp sending unit and the thermostat, to make sure that was not the problem. I found out right away the problem was not fixed yet. I almost bought a new fan clutch, and a new water pump, but lucky me I happened to have a complete extra gauge cluster that I had picked up at junkyard for 150.00dlls, and I decide to change it myself before moving on to the fan or water pump. The problem got fixed, and has not done that anymore. :D
  • Options
    shuffshuff Member Posts: 1
    inner wheel well. remove the front three plastic poprivits holding the plastic inner fender to the fender. bend the plastic back exposing the light socket. replace the bulb and put in 3 new poprivits.
  • Options
    rxr1rxr1 Member Posts: 1
    hi there, i have a 2001 LTD and when on 2WD, the vehicle is trying to shift automatically to 4WD and hear a grinding noise and then a thud/clunk, the vehicle is still in 2WD, but it is trying to shift to 4WD, when I run it on 4WD, absolutely no issues. Took it to a dealer and he says, about 1500, need to replace some relays /solenoids.

I am looking for some help for a DIY and some pointers..

Thanks
    - Rxr
  • Options
    jdegraffjdegraff Member Posts: 1
    Alternator appears to be out. Is this a one belt vehicle or is there a separate belt for the alternator?
  • Options
    This vehicles has multiple belts, so YES it has a separate belt for alternator. Good luck with that!
  • Options
    nyr2002nyrnyr2002nyr Member Posts: 1
    2000 montero sport 3.0

Ok i had to change my battery and then i entered the radio code in but i still can not get my car to get a normal idle back any ideas???
  • Options
    Just to let everyone who asked me....changing the circuit board did not get rid of the problem. It's in the shop again...I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    berinhardberinhard Member Posts: 1
    First the battery and brake lights came on now the srs and anti lock lights on and my idel drop to zero and all my inter lights are dim what is it
  • Options
    johncagejohncage Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Error codes indicate the sensor 1/bank 1 O2 sensor is causing my check
    engine light to come on once the engine warms up on my Montero. It
    appears that sensor is located on the drivers (left side) and I have a
    couple of questions I'm hoping someone may be able to answer. First,
    how do I determine if it's a California or Federal model sensor (and
    if I erred on the replacement, would it matter)? - I don't live in
    California...

Next, what's the easiest access to this sensor? It appears that
    perhaps popping loose the mud flapping material may allow access
    through the wheel well. Thought I'd look for someone with experience
    before getting into this.

Finally, I'm somewhat inclined to purchase the OEM replacement and was
    looking at the Bosch replacement from Autozone. They also sell a
    'universal' Bosch that is supposed to work fine. Anyone have opinions
    on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

John