Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where to Get Parts for Old Cars?

martianmartian Member Posts: 220
I notice that JC Whitney has discontinued their stock of old car parts. You used to be able to get all kinds of parts from them (for impossibly old cars-like cars from the 1930's). My question: is anyone making these parts anymore? Or is the collector at the mercy of vanishing stocks of OEM parts. It used to be that brake and engine parts for 1920-30's cars were easily available-is this true anymore?
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Your first stop is the newsstand to get a copy of Hemmings Motor News. From there, you can make calls or send e-mails to listed vendors, who can then spin you off to other spare parts universes.

Have faith, you can get just about any part for any car, and the parts you can't get, you can have made. Of course, if it's some obscure car from the 20s, you aren't going to find much, but many of these older cars were "assembled" from standard parts, and substitutions are possible.

The best aftermarkets are for Ford Model As and Ts, for Chevy/Ford/GMC post WWII pickups, for VW, for GM muscle cars, for MG and for Alfa Romeo. There's very little you can't find for these types of cars, shipped right to your door UPS second day.
  • olds_man69olds_man69 Member Posts: 2
    can anyone tell how many 1971 cutlass s were 4 spd cars?
    or where i can find out about them?
    thanks
    olds_man69
    This is being answered in your duplicate post.
    That's gonna hurt a lot of those parts hoarders who so much enjoy making people beg for their spare parts. The power tripping will soon be over!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I've been joyed more by giving away parts I've saved, but don't need. I receive in my giving, double.
  • vexy07vexy07 Member Posts: 2
    Im looking for 1954 Prefect Panal Van Partz...
    Probably you'll need to scour UK websites for that stuff.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to owners that have had trouble getting their car repaired because of parts issues. If this has happened to you, please contact [email protected] by Thursday, May 14, 2009.
  • hotrodguyhotrodguy Member Posts: 2
    So I know the time and trouble one can go thru finding parts these days. From experience if your determined you will find the part you need. For example I must have called 15 vendors/companies looking for the exact parts i wanted for my '34 Ford. So 2 sites that have helped me out on builds is 1)
    Vintage Parts, these guys have solid axle kits for '28-'48 Fords and much much more. Then for more of the hot rod items I recently stumbled across this site, 2) Street Rod Parts. The quality of the product I would say is around a B+. Welds on the axle kit look rough but overall and for the price, definitely worth it.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I own a 1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan which is stock. I've had it going on 3 years now. Finding parts for her has been an adventure, but, I've been lucky so far. There's a lot of stuff now being reproduced, and, I've found a lot of used/NOS stuff locally. When I got her, I joined a couple of the active antique Chevy forums, and, the folks there are really good with advice/sources for parts. She gets a lot of attention at shows/cruise-ins because she's got her original big long in-line 6 under the hood instead of a SBC like everybody else. I like the well done hot rods, but, love my stock fat fender car.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat :shades:
  • 1969buick11969buick1 Member Posts: 1
    1969 buick lesabre 350(buick) 3 speed 2 door . And I have been looking for so many parts to restore the car but I always come up dry. I called everybody looked on the Internet for days and just can't find anything it's like the car doesn't exist. So if anybody can help me out with where to look for parts I would appreciate it. Please haha
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    What I did with my car initially - was to hit some local car shows and cruise-ins. Being a newbie, I asked a lot of questions, but, I found a number of local folks and wrecking yards that had stuff I needed. I joined a couple of antique Chevy forums, and, scored some parts from posters that I needed and couldn't find locally or from repop outfits. The AACA Buick forums would be a good place for you to start. The folks there should be able to guide you to parts sources. If there are some antique Buick specific forums join them as well, and, post your questions and parts needs. I've also scored several things for my car off Ebay as well - so you might periodically check there for parts as well. Good luck and good hunting.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat