Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 AWD Questions

satz24satz24 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Mazda
hi all

recently bought an AWD CX7.

Took it up to the snow and got bogged in just 6 inches of snow at the front axle. The back wheels had hardly any snow under them...

I tried to reverse very gently with TCS off, but all that happened was the front wheels spun freely, which dug the car further in. The rear wheels only started turning if I pressed the accelerator a bit harder. Finally had to get towed by a 'real 4wd'!!!

Is this how the CX7 awd system is meant to work? I thought the rear wheels would start turning as soon as the fronts lost traction?

Could someone please advise me. I don't think there's a problem with the car but it's something that's rather hard to test (without driving 3 hours to the snow and getting towed again!). I've kinda lost confidence in its ability now... :-(

thanks in advance

satz

Comments

• vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Other board members, chime in, if I'm not accurate here.

Your email didn't mention if you tried to get "unstuck" with TCS engaged. TCS and AWD work seemlessly and there are no "indicators" that show when power or what percentage of power, is transferred to the rear.

Sometimes, all of this technology fails us. You only disengage TCS when other options fail. In the old days, before 4wd/AWD, if one got stuck in snow, one way was to rock the car, back and forth, by repeatedly shifting between fwd and reverse. Such is true with the CX-7, IF you disengage the TCS. TCS automatically senses loss of traction, then applies power to the rear axle. If AWD doesn't pull you free, you have to try the old fashioned methods.

BTW, CX-7 is basically a very light-duty off-road vehicle. It wasn't designed for extremes, so don't put too much confidence in the CX-7 to pull you out of a jam. Here in northern VA last winter, we had one pretty good snow storm and dumped about 1.5 feet snow is some spots. My CX-7 handled all of that with ease and I was bookin' down the freeway, when other drivers were ploddin along at 15 MPH in the slow lane. Here I was, troopin' along at 45 MPH ! I WAS IMPRESSED! :P

Vince.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Correct. He should have left the TSC on. Even so, only 50% of the power will be delivered to the rear.

My father in law has had no problems driving in the snow.
  • treepeonytreepeony Member Posts: 15
    I wonder what condition the tires were in?
    For my wife's new cx-7, I will buy winter tires. In massachusetts, they are worth having. Not mandatory though.
  • satz24satz24 Member Posts: 10
    hi guys

thanks for the responses to date. I actually tried both TCS off as well as on. Neither seemed to make any difference to the rear wheels getting power...

The tyres were new (the car was only 1 week old!) and were the Goodyear RSA mud and snow...

cheers

Satz
  • treepeonytreepeony Member Posts: 15
    you might want to check the performance of the tires at tirerack.com. They evaluate tire performance in various conditions.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Something is not working correctly. I would take it back to the dealer. Power should have sent to the rear wheels--at least a certain measurable amount of it.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    I drove an AWD CX-7 through last winter with the standard Goodyear all season tires and it drove excellent with no problems. Your Massachusetts winter should be roughly equal to our Minnesota winters, so I feel that snow tires should be unneeded on this model.
This discussion has been closed.