Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

LS Owner looking for a new car (MKS?)

keystone2k9keystone2k9 Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Lincoln
Hey all, newbie here.

Well, we bought a used LS '00 model (approx 40K) in the summer of '03 and it's been relatively great. Numerous maintenance trips needed that cost us a pretty penny; pretty much invested as much money as if to buy it new, and then some. It's sitting at 85K now, and we're thinking about a new car.

I thought about the MKZ and thought that was it. Then I came across the MKS. I immediately fell in love; distinguished design, ridiculously awesome features, did I mention an exterior and interior to fall in love with?

Can anyone assure that this WILL hit the market in Spring '08 as anticipated? Is this a sedan to buy? Sure looks like it....

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I wouldn't count on it being out by Spring - I've heard anywhere from early summer to late fall. Probably won't know for sure until the LA auto show at the earliest and the Detroit Auto show at the latest.

Loyal LS owners think it has potential depending on how the suspension is tuned and how much power it gets.

Base model should be similar to a Sable with a bit more power and a much nicer interior and Lincoln features (THX II, cooled seats, manumatic shifter, etc.). There should be a twin force 350+ HP AWD version but that probably won't appear until a few months after the base version launches.

The biggest difference with your LS will be the MKS' transverse mounted engine and FWD which will make it more nose heavy and it will drive differently than your RWD LS. I'd test drive a Sable just for a baseline comparison.
  • keystone2k9keystone2k9 Member Posts: 25
    Let me know how that goes. My email address is in my profile.

Right now are you saying the LS is worth holding onto despite the mechanical flaws it may still have? You think it'd be possible to just replace it with a new transmission and new parts and it'll be good as new?
    Umm....let you know how WHAT goes?

Many folks are holding onto their LS because there isn't much out there that really compares, especially for the same money. If you like it then by all means hold onto it, even if it means some more repairs. Most of the repairs aren't the kind that keep reoccuring so if they are maybe you need a new dealer.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    "Many folks are holding onto their LS because there isn't much out there that really compares. . ."

Exactly.

I'm upset (well. . ., well beyond) with how the LS turned out at Lincoln, but not at all with how the car itself turned out for me. It's been really great.

I pound the subwoofer amp to make the buzz go away pretty regularly & pine for what might have been, but otherwise, this is one of the best three cars I've even owned. It will pack up one day (perhaps tomorrow, perhaps in 2009), and when it does, I'll go with a BMW.

No rush, though.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • keystone2k9keystone2k9 Member Posts: 25
    How many miles do you have on the kid?

Any interest in the MKS?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    121,000 miles

None -- I doubt that I'll ever own another American car. At the moment Cadillac makes the only American car that meets my criteria, and I have no faith at all that the CTS won't end up like the LS, sooner or later. Plus, there are things about the car I don't like.

So, one more time for those who haven't heard this before: RWD, manual transmission, room for a bicycle inside the car, handling package, audio upgrade, would really like to have a diesel. That's it. Sounds easy, but it's not. There are a half-dozen cars sold in Europe that I'd buy one of tomorrow if they were available here, but they're not, and likely won't be anytime soon.

Best compromise at the moment for me: BMW 328i Sports Wagon, but I don't need it yet. Who knows? Maybe by the time I do, it'll be available with a diesel.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Steve wants a manual transmission? Who knew? :blush:;)
This discussion has been closed.