Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Noises and Sounds

Comments

• jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    You didn't mention the circumstances under which the noise occurs - whether normal driving or going over bumps/kerbs.

Try checking the rubber straps that hook the muffler to the chassis - they can come off. Also try checking the rear number plate to see if it clunks when you close the tailgate - if so it will clunk going over bumps.

The Dueller tires are also have hard,noise making side walls going over bumps. Also the trailer hitch wiring inside the rear bumper can make a clunk when going over bumps. Didn't know about the ball joint TSB 'til you mentioned it.
  • smlpkg5smlpkg5 Member Posts: 3
    My Sante Fe makes that bouncing clunking noise during normal driving and while going over uneven roads and/or bumps. But it doesn't do it all the time. The dealership replaced the front ball joints. A week after they did that, it started making a whining sound. Again, it doesn't do it all the time, mostly when it is cold. It stops after a few minutes.

I do not have a trailer hitch on my Sante Fe.
  • gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    I had a similar noise with my 2007 Santa Fe. Had it the noise for quite a while. So when I was taking it into the dealership, I couldn't hear that noise. But luckily, the technician heard the noise on a road test and ordered some stabilizer links. He said that they will try this first and see how that works, I got them replaced last wednesday and have not heard the noise since.
    Hope this helps
    Gord
    How are the stabilizer links working? What exactly are stabilizer links?
    Number 7 is the stabilizer link. So far, no more noise. I'm very happy with my 2007 Santa Fe (build date Sept/06).
    Gord
    They must have removed my picture. Sorry about that.
    Gord
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your picture was not removed. You provided an invalid link so the picture will just not show up.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Can you try sending that link or picture again?
    Did the noise come back?

No, the noise did not come back. Very pleased so far. The part is # 7 on the picture from Hyundai Service Website
    Thanks
    PS The picture shows up on my computer, so I hope you can see it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It shows up just fine! Thanks. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ljy2112ljy2112 Member Posts: 2
    I'm going to recommend that to my dealer the next time I bring my 08 limited in. They keep saying they can't replicate the noise, but it is driving me crazy. It only happens when the passenger rear wheel hits a bump. The other side does'nt make a sound.
  • srmcsrmc Member Posts: 6
    What has Hyundai done for the noisy lifters?
  • travelgrrltravelgrrl Member Posts: 13
    I have an '07 Limited AWD Santa Fe with 31,000 miles on it. Just last week I noticed a ticking/clicking noise in the glove box area. I've tried emptying out the dashboard tray, opening the glovebox, locking the glovebox, nothing works!! I just took it in for my 30k service a few weeks ago, so I don't think it's a major problem, but it is driving me crazy. :confuse:

I did notice that it only starts in when I'm doing over 30 mph. If under 30 mph, the car's quiet as anything.

Any suggestions for me?
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    try opening front passenger door to check the panel on the side of the dash- panel may be loose - and/or inspect the cabin filter...
  • par721par721 Member Posts: 14
    Hey Maverick,
    I have an '08 SF Limited and just started noticing a slight creaking sound coming from the cargo area and really only notice it at low speed and driving over uneven pavement, like turning into my driveway from the street. I've had the car about four months and it just started about a month ago. I started hearing it right after loading it up for a family vacation with a lot of luggage and a trailer hitch bike rack. I'm not sure if the problem is connected to the load it carried while on vacation.

I took it to my dealer yesterday and they immediately told me about this TSB, which I knew about myself from reading the posts on this forum. I didn't see them really road test the vehicle to replicate the problem and that led me to believe that they're getting a lot of these complaints and are assuming it's the same issue covered in the TSB.

Was your creaking noise loud or soft and only really noticeable while turning onto uneven pavement? How is your SF now since the repair? Has the fit of the parts removed and replaced held up?

Thanks for your help.
  • par721par721 Member Posts: 14
    Hi All - Has anyone with an '07/'08 SF with this creaking noise in the back driver-side quarter panel, merely lived with it? Does anyone know if left as is will it get worse/louder? Right now, I think I have the problem with my SF as described by the TSB 08-BD-008-1, but it's not very loud at all. If you have the window open or the radio on, you cant hear it.

I'm thinking of living with it instead of letting the dealer perform such an invasive fix/procedure, but don't want it to get worse or run out of a warranty option.

Thanks for any help!
  • ryanorryanor Member Posts: 11
    I had an alignment done back in July attempting to fix excess tire/road noise--typically in the 40 to 50 MPH range. I'm still getting the noise, but hopefully the condition will not get any worse.

I happened to get down on my hands and knees to inspect the tires last weekend, and noticed the inner 1/5 or so was severely worn (the fronts worse than the backs). Some squeaking occurs when making tight turns, due to this wear I'm sure.

I now have 31,000 miles (on the original Bridgestone Duelers) on the car. Have been rotating tires every year, but now will every 6 months. I plan on getting new tires sometime next spring.

Hopefully better tires will end up with a quieter ride with even tread wear!

Ryan
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    Just bought an '09 Ltd. Day after I bought it there's a strong rattle in the hatch area. Husband rode back there and feels it's the hatch itself. I popped the rear hatch ports off to see if there's a loose wire harness but find nothing.
    I can't duplicate this noise from the outside when parked for anything. Hatch seems secure.

It happens over vibrational road issues like the black strip laid over cracks or minor bumps. It sounds like a door is ajar. Or a marble is hanging from a string inside the hatch bouncing around.

I've been trying hard to triage this before service people crawl all over my new car, poke around, remove panels, scratch it up, dirty the carpet, etc. Taking suggestions. (spare is secure)
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    It's the hatch latch. Closed the hatch with folded papertowels and the noise stopped. The striker needs adjustment. I couldn't reproduce this no matter what except when driving. Good!
  • melissa1234melissa1234 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have been experiencing clunking noises coming from the front of my vehicle while driving over bumps, small and large. This is more recent problem. I'd say a month or two. I experience it while driving straight and when turning, but more so at slower speeds.

I just had new tires put on for the first time. I am at 54,000 miles. I had an alignment done as well. They told me it was very bad. NOW, I have loud creeking noises coming from the back. It makes the clunking noises from the front sound minor. It's creeking from the back while driving slow, fast, backing up and turning.

Any ideas??
  • erinrferinrf Member Posts: 7
    I had the SAME problem and let me tell you what I was told by my dealership.... We have done everything that we can... we don't hear what you are hearing and if it does make those noises that is normal, even for the new vehicles! I say good luck getting them to fix it. You are a female, as I am, and they think that we are dumb and have no idea about vehicles. What they don't realize is that it is our car and we know when something does not work properly on them. I am sorry that I could not tell you good news but just know you are not alone!
  • lcurbowlcurbow Member Posts: 1
    I took 07 in for the stop park light recall. The next day I have a noise like something is rolling up & down in the area of the side roof panel above the drivers door. The two things should not be related as far as I can tell but just coincidence. Does anyone else have this noise. (like an acorn rollling back & forth or a loose wire with something heavy on the end going back & forth) I hear it when I turn, sometimes when I stop, & going up or down a hill. Thanks.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    "You are a female, as I am, and they think that we are dumb and have no idea about vehicles."

Yeah...THAT"S what we think!

Good grief........
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    I love my Santa Fe and still love it despite the whistling noise on the highway. It sounds like wind, but the longer I drive it, the louder it gets and then there is a roaring noise at any speed. My husband knows a lot about cars but he hasn't figured out what the problem is and it takes over an hour to get to the dealership. I've seen posts about bushings, suspension, weather stripping, I got new Goodyear Eage RSA tires in September and have about 4,000 miles on them. I had the tires rotated less than a month ago. Can someone help us? Thank you for your time and help.
    whistling? how fast are you driving?! LOL- it is probably wind passing through the gaps in the outside rear view mirrors - tape up the gaps with masking tape to test it out - if the noise goes away or lessens with the tape - there's the culprit - not sure of a fix for this... roaring is probably from changing to a different tire than the original- you'll get used to it... the sound is not as bad as changing 4 new tires... roaring can also be caused by bad bearings but unlikely on a car so new... roar would get louder the faster you go....
  • prm21557prm21557 Member Posts: 2
    I think it's probable the roof racks (check out post #135), I have the same problem with my Honda Pilot.
  • g7727cvg7727cv Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2010 Santa Fe SE. At 2,000 miles, a little over one month of ownership, started hearing a creaking noise on the driver side up in the dash or deep inside when hitting a slight bump or taking a turn. Very annoying. This doesn't occur on perfectly smooth roads (if you can find one) with few exceptions. I tried hard braking and acceleration to see if that causes it to occur also...and at times it does. Have not taken it to the dealer yet, wanted to see if others experienced same thing.
  • mapram1mapram1 Member Posts: 10
    I am purchasing a 2002 Sante Fe 4 cyl with 61,600 miles from a dealer for just under $7K. What do you think of the price? My mechanic checked it out; few things to be repaired/replaced. If dealer does them, I intended to buy it but after reading all the tales of woe, I'm more nervous than ever. Is the original warranty still in effect? How can I find out? I have the VIN.

I just spoke with someone selling extended warranties. He said the original is NOT in effect except there's 2 yrs. left on the powertrain...BUT, he said it might be to my benefit to buy one from him that includes the P/Train because Hyundai may not pay 100%. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Can anyone recommend a reputable and reliable company from which to buy an extended warranty OR a company to stay away from? I've read so much about them that I'm anxious. I also read that bumper-to-bumper is only offered by the manufacturer & if anyone else offers this, they are lying. Comments please? Thank you.
  • bugplaybugplay Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2010
    Amazing...my wife has the same identical issues with creaking on the driver side or up on the dash. It is most pronounced when she turns into our driveway. Her Santa Fe is new, with only about 500 miles on the odometer. I believe it is the hard plastics rubbing against each other...but it is very frustrating. While I knew we weren't purchasing a BMW or Lexus, and probably not even a Honda or Toyota, to have this type of noise with only 500 miles is absurd. She does not want to bring it back to the dealer for some squeaks...but, I'll probably mention it at our first service. :mad:
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2010
    2007 Santa Fe...whenver I go over a bump or a "Botts Dot" on the highway there is a loud clunk behind the dash on the passanger side. Seems to be above the glovebox. Before I pay a tech (not covered by warranty) to start tearing out the glovebox, dash, etc. I was wondering if anyone had similiar issue and what resolved it.
  • miram58miram58 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all. Have an '04 Santa Fe, manual transmission. Am hearing kind of a "grinding" noise when I drive it (not when clutch is in and I'm shifting). In the past few weeks, it's started sputtering, with weird RPM swings, and at times it doesn't move forward as it should for the acceleration. Most days I commute by bus, so I haven't been driving it a lot, and I just got back from a week vacation. Last night the "check engine" light came on. It did that a month ago, but then went off. When I took it to Pep Boys (only place open on Sunday) then, they said they could not tell what was wrong because the light wasn't still on. I need to take it to a mechanic ASAP, but don't want to get blindsided. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  • bmanscbmansc Member Posts: 1
    We are having the same issue with a 2010 Santa Fe with less than 1000 miles on it. I notice the creaking when I press the accelerator and release it, when indicates to me that the torque of the engine is causing the body to flex. The noise is metallic and I am afraid it will affect the structural integrity of the vehicle. Other than this little issue we are very pleased with the vehicle
  • suirviewsuirview Member Posts: 1
    Sorry if this question has already been asked/answered, but can anybody throw any light on a thunking noise from front RH suspension. Dealer has had car now 4 times and last time he said that he changed some parts in the suspension. Vehicle is just out of warranty, problems has been ongoing for over six months. The noise is very obvious at low speeds and when going over a speed bump or uneven road surface. Is this a common problem? What is the most likely cause and what parts need to be tightened or replaced? Hopefully someone can help.
    Thanks!
  • lhedmontonlhedmonton Member Posts: 2
    I am from Canada. I purchased a 2010 Santa Fe in May. Immediately upon delivery the engine banged occasionally on starting. Dealer has advised I am number 9 at the dealership with one of the bad 2010 Santa Fes. Hyundai is not responding well to fixing the problem. Hyundai advised the dealer to top up transmission fluid and reset a computer in the engine. That was done, I have driven approx. 400 km since then and the banging problem has gotten worse (dealer advised that would probably happen). I am returning to the dealership (they have advised me to come back in for more 'maintenance'). Hyundai needs to come clean, replace the transmission and fix the problem.
  • sf2010sf2010 Member Posts: 1
    Did you able to fix this problem?

I bought 2010 limited and it only 50km, I have similar situation. :(, please let me know if there is a fix?
  • dzemsdzems Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,please help!!!
    I have Santa Fe 2003 with 67K miles on it. Everything was fine until couple of weeks ago, on my way to work at speed of 50 miles an hour my car lost power for couple of seconds even though i had my foot on accelerator there was no respond and then suddenly just kicked in it happens few times in a minute, check engine light comes on,RPM gadget goes crazy while that is happening and as soon it stops check engine light disappears.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
  • renoscottierenoscottie Member Posts: 2
    I have been waiting since June for parts for glove box rattle - the box is loose. They have a service bulletin for it. Will call again today to see if they got the parts. My 2010 Santa Fe rattle worse than all the cars I have everr owned put together.
  • kinney65kinney65 Member Posts: 1
    Like Comment #144 we are experiencing the same sound at about 35-45 mph. It is usually when I am lightly pressing on the accelerator trying to maintain a constant speed in a lower speed zone. Service department couldn't recreate it at first but has now heard it. They have no idea. The vehicle has approx. 14,000 miles. They are strapping it up to a multiple microphone system to try to pinpoint the sound. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks
  • jtkirkjtkirk Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2010 Santa Fe 3.5 GL just over 6 months old with about 20,000 KM on the odometer. Hearing an annoying clicking/tapping noise from within the dash, predominantly from the driver's side, but which seems to migrate to other sections.
    Sounds like plastic items flexing at the joints where they snap together and/or loose wiring harnesses tapping against plastic sections. Occurs mostly on the rebound when going over dips or bumps in the road. Mentioned to counter personnel at dealership at last service and response was basically a shrug and a comment that, yes, there are a lot of harnesses and other stuff under there that can come loose and there's not much that they can do about it. :mad:
  • penciltailpenciltail Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my vehicle in July of 2010. Two weeks later it started to make a clunking sound in the rear end immediately upon a cold start. It has been random, so the few times I have brought it to the dealer they have told me that they have not been able to replicate the clunking, hence they have not done anything to remedy it. It is continuing to make the the clunking sound, but now it feels like it wants to pull the car in reverse even though the vehicle is still in park. The vehicle has actually even moved during the clunk and pull in reverse. I have reported this to Hyundai Consumer affaires and they have instructed me to bring the car in again. Stay tuned.
  • coleman73coleman73 Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 05 Santa Fe with 80K miles on it that has started making a sound like a toy train. It occurs when the engine is cold while accelerating. It's most pronounced at about 20 mph. There is no correlation between RPM's and the cadence of the sound, except that it goes away when I take my foot off the accelerator. Once the engine is completely warmed up it goes away and the block has to be cold again before the noise starts. My mechanic is having trouble determining the cause.
    no svc eng light on? no codes? what kind of oil in engine? how long since oil change? using oil additives?
  • cp5cp5 Member Posts: 1
    dealer diagnosed rattling noise under the hood as valve lifters not getting enough oil. Suggest changing to synthetic oil or putting in engine oil treatment. I did the treatment. Treatment did not help. Noise is intermittent. Sometimes it starts when engine is cold; sometimes when engine is warm. Any ideas?
    use a engine cleaner on next oil change - then use 10w30 instead of 5w30 or just add Lucas oil additive to whatever oil you're using - then use the Lucas gas/fuel system treatment (big bottle - whole thing) in the gas tank - that should help
  • rdb0513rdb0513 Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering if anyone has had this problem:: When you take off and are still at a low speed, you can hear a thump and feel the bump as if you have run over something.
  • jlandwehrjlandwehr Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2004 Santa Fe that is experiencing a buzzing ABS noise while driving at low speeds while we're not even touching the brakes. It happens for 5 or 10 seconds and then stops. It is not applying the brakes, just buzzing like it does when you're braking in snow. We just had new pads and rotors applied all around. Also is this best taken care of at a dealer? ($$$). Any ideas appreciated, as well as estimated cost.

Thanks.
  • lramos1lramos1 Member Posts: 1
    My had bushings replaced, sorry I can't remember the part numbers. It had to do with with the stabilizing bar.
  • mikev5mikev5 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe about two months ago and was running nice and quiet when I received it. Two months later I have a ticking noise that has been increasing gradually until recently. Now it sounds quite bad and I'm afraid if I continue to drive it I might wreck something and have some major expenses. Is this noise from valves? There were no records of the timing belt ever being changed it has almost 92k on it. I would greatly appreciate some advice on this.
    Thank you.
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    Does the ticking noise vary with the rpm of the engine? In park, rev the engine a little. Can you hear ticking? Or does the ticking noise vary with the speed of the car. Ticking gets faster when you speed up.
  • twb5twb5 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Santa Fe, which I love, recently developed a very, very loud whistling noise usually after driving more than 10-15 miles. Applying the brakes stops the noise. The noise is so loud when cruising along that people actually look as I go by. The dealer said it was due to the brakes having dust and they cleaned the dust and they said my brakes/pads were fine. However, the noise is still there. Any help? suggestions? thanks