Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Transmission Problems

galiathongaliathon Member Posts: 1
Here it is I changed the fluid and filters, put it back together, filled it with ATF+4 fluid. Started it and went through the gears, and nothing happend.. It wont engage in any gear, Now its throwing a code (PO841)-Trans fluid press sensor/switch A CKT range/Perf... Now I really dont know what the problem is.. Dealer wants 85.00 for that sensor, But nobody knows anything about that code.. Can anyone Help on this one Thanks.

Comments

• wljlds2wljlds2 Member Posts: 14
    The 45RFE transmissions had a problem with losing their prim when Chrysler went to the WIX filters. Not saying this is your problem, but it is possible that the filter is not sealing/seating properly.
  • jcounciljcouncil Member Posts: 2
    What type of transmission fluid
  • jcounciljcouncil Member Posts: 2
    2003 Durango transmission fluid/mercon III
  • thersontherson Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 dodge durango 5.9 with the 46RE usually skips 1st gear and starts off in 2nd while proceeding to shift out well. Sometimes it will start off in 1st very briefly and then slip right into 2nd. NO codes through a generic obdII scan. If i do disconnect the battery it starts in first and shifts normally into 2nd only that one time. Any ideas?
  • duke24duke24 Member Posts: 1
    My truck runs fine and has no codes stored to indicate a problem. When put into drive it immediately stalls as if the torque converter will not allow it to idle in gear. I can get it rolling and drive but can not come to a stop without shifting into nuetral. This is a tranny issue but what part of the tranny is causing the problem? I removed the trans and inspected the valve body for binding but found no problem. The fluid is burnt and contaminated. The governer solenoid had debri in the screen. But how would that cause this problem? :confuse:
  • cathblucathblu Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 slt in March. I didn't think the transmission was working properly almost imediately. I was told that I just wasn't used to the car and the transmission. I had traded in a chrysler 300 so I thought I would give it a chance, Since then it has gotten worse. Driving at 70 mph on a clear day on flat pavement and it sounds like it shifts into knowwhere land and then back. It has occurred under all weather conditions, terrains, speeds, and different drivers. I took it to the Dodge dealer near me and they said that yes they felt it and heard it too. But the computer says there is nothing wrong so they can't fix it.

Any suggestions?

Cathblu
  • mike322mike322 Member Posts: 1
    I parked my 2005 durango in the driveway and the next moring In started it shifted the trans into R and nothing happened. I went through all of the gears and it acts as if the engine is nolonger connected to the drivetrain. Any ideas what could have failed and how I can test it to make sure?????
  • mrbigzmrbigz Member Posts: 2
    I'm having similar issues. I took it into the shop and was told that it's possibly a problem with the computer sending a signal to the tranny to tell it to shift. I basically have to start it in 2nd, shift into drive. But even then it doesn't shift into any higher gear and once I reach about 40-45 you can hear the engine start to rev higher. Does anyone have any idea of what "computer" part this is? As I'm told there are two computer units in this vehicle.

99 Durango SLT
    5.9L
    V8 Magnum
    4x4

Thanks in advance
  • isaiasisaias Member Posts: 1
    mike322, did you ever get an answer to the Gear problem. I'm having the exact same issue.
  • mrbigzmrbigz Member Posts: 2
    Yes it ended up being the computer. A new one was going to cost around $800 for the part. My mechanic was able to find a used one for half the price.
  • rockfish200rockfish200 Member Posts: 4
    My problem is it sounds like gears grinding. At first it wouldnt come out of 4x4 in my 2001 durango. then after freeing it up by rocking it back and forth and using the switch from high to low and out, it worked ok. But every time i reengaged it and disengaged it you could hear gear grinding noises at slow speeds. Now it is steadily making noise and not sure if its the transfer case or in the front axle assy. Got any suggestions as to how to determine which area its coming from and what the problem is ???
    thanks
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    If im not mistaken the front differential on a durango with an electronic transfercase is always engaged meaning it doesn't have an actuator to engage the front differential when using the 4wd, im sure it is if its an AWD with just hi lo functions. It sounds like the noise is in the transfer case.
    The forks that apply the hi lo hub and the 2wd 4wd slider have plastic tabs and do wear especially if not well lubricated (low fluid level) not allowing it to engage or disengage the hub or slider fully. Check the fluid level then Pull the drain plug..if the fluid looks bad or is real low and particles coming out of it, theres your problem. If its full and clean (Its ATF fluid, so should have a red tint), there have been some problems with the shifter motor on the side not doing its job, not properly engaging and disengaging but haven't seen one have that particular complaint.
    The durango is the r/t with the 5.9 and it does have a 2wd switch also. Listening a little bit closer to it, the grinding/clicking sound actually sounds like it is coming from the front axle area, behind the drivers side wheel.
    Ok, You are right, its awd and i went out and tried to see if i could get the transfercase into neutral and it wont do it. It stays in gear. Looks like i'll be taking the transfer case out. But i will check the fluid and see whats going on. Thanks for you help.
    Oh yea, any tricks i might need to know about removing the transfer case?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    any tricks i might need to know about removing the transfer case?

To me, the trick is getting someone else to do it competently and cheaply! ;)

With a little luck, someone with hands on experience will jump in and offer some guidance and inspiration.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • whiskey62whiskey62 Member Posts: 9
    i use the Haynse manual to fix mine(and yes im a shade tree mec.) book said for the most part that its farly basic, my 98 has had some of the same probs !had to replace drive axil on pass side.replace filter and fluid adjust kick down bands. Its working good now :)
  • jerryd6jerryd6 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Durango (4.7) that is giving me trouble, will not shift into OD, and is shifting late. Pulled up this code P0871 which says something about the OD pressure sensor circuit... If I clear the code the vehicle runs fine for about 20 miles or so then the problem starts again. Anybody else ever had this problem? Having a hard time figuring out where to start. Oh yeah, transmission fluid and filters were recently changed, old fluid didn't look bad/no metal pieces in the pan.
    If its not shifting than when the fluid was changed did they adjust the kick down bands? sorry ive been layed up for a mouth or so med probs.
    5-45RFE transmission, no bands to adjust. Praying I don't have to replace the TRS assembly...
    Dont have a book on that here will go buy the shop monday to read up might have some ideas then!
    Thanks, any help I can get is appreciated greatly!
  • rattical68zrattical68z Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Durango R/T AWD.I had the trans rebuilt about 10k ago.Last night I went on a 100 mile trip pulling a 5x8 empty trailer.After about 40 miles the trans shifted out of OD.I drove a bit reducing speed due to being on the freeway.Then the trans temp light came on.After letting it sit for about 15 mins ,I continued down the road.20 miles later .it did it again.This happened before but stopped after some time.Now it will not shift correctly and in and out of OD.Took it to the trans shop and it would not duplicate the problem and has no codes. On the way back home ,again?????? Help please
  • rustyshaklfordrustyshaklford Member Posts: 1
    i also have the same prob. now was it the (pcm) powertrain control module or the (tcm) transmission control module,there both about 800 bucks
  • cdoherty5cdoherty5 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 hemi We had a problem back at the end of June the engine light came on and we brought it to the dealer they said the code was for some trany issue. They changed the filters and fluid and was supposed to change something to due with the valve body we thought. and warranty ran out July 1st. Now the other day I used it, it was fine then went home then went to use it again and it was like the car was in neautral then the light came back on after my husband tried it. We brought it in again they said it was 1 or 2 of the valve sections needed to be changed and it will cost 1700. Now my husband is a working man blue collar mechanic, works on large logging equipment cars, trucks, whatever and he knows they told him last time they were supposed to change something to do with the valve body and they didn't. So thats why i'm looking these issues up now because come tomorrow when we have to argue with them they should of fixed it then instead of just using a bandaide to fix the issue until later on when the warranty is expired so we can have some ammo to use. As far as i'm concearned it's still in the same part of the car, I don't care if it's another issue it's still a trany issue. Has anyone else had issues with theirs???
  • 98durango98durango Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: TRANSMISSIONS HANGS UP IN 1ST GEAR. AFTER LETTING OFF GAS IT WILL SKIP 2ND AND GO RIGHT TO 3RD THEN SHIFT NORMALLY TO O/D. NO CODES AND NEVER CHANGED FILTER. HAS 160.000 MILE ON TRUCK HAD SINCE 48,000 ALSO HAS AWD OPTION ANY HELP DOES IT SOUND LIKE IN OR OUT OF CAR REPAIR. COULD IT BE A SHIFT RELAY,SOLENOID, OR SENSOR PLEASE HELP I M STILL DRIVING IT AND DONT WONT TO DO MORE DAMAGE :sick:
  • dave272dave272 Member Posts: 1
    mike this is exactly my problem. car stuck in driveway. how did you fix it? thanks!
  • debrob1981debrob1981 Member Posts: 3
    Today on my 2000 Durango the transmission light came on and now it does not want to shift into high gear, going 30 miles an hour the rpms are at 2. we went to advance and the guy put the machine on it and he said it was the turbo sensor...can anyone help :confuse:
  • gammilgrgammilgr Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 durango drives great and shifts fine in all forward gears, BUT when I put it in reverse it moves backwards a little until I give it gas and then it chatters a bit. What should I do? :(
  • thunderchildthunderchild Member Posts: 18
    NO NO!! ATF+4 ONLY!! This is the fluid for a Durango tranny. Use the other Mercon if you want to destroy your tranny.
  • ykkrsykkrs Member Posts: 2
    This durango has a couple of codes PO733 and PO734 which are gear ratio's are incorrect. how do you fix these? It won't go faster than 25 mph in drive, but in 1st and 2nd it goes fine.
  • ykkrsykkrs Member Posts: 2
    what's wrong with this site? no answers for me?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I found some comments on those codes on this page. It looks like you may have some slippage in your clutch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • crackberry002crackberry002 Member Posts: 2
    I hope not, it seems I fix one thing and something else goes wrong.
    Mine takes about 2000 RPMs to get moving. is that your case too?
  • crackberry002crackberry002 Member Posts: 2
    My check engine light says that shift solenoid D malfunctioning. can I change it myself or can this be caused by (PCM). I have changed fluid and both filters
  • jc2sonsjc2sons Member Posts: 1
    My gear shifter on my 2000 durango won't shift into drive just p,r, & n.
    Is there anyway I fix this myself?
  • greg152greg152 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    transmission acts like there is a pump problem...will go into gear but acts like it looses the prime...will go into reverse but again acts like its a pump loosing a prime...is there a pump and is there anything I can do or check without replacing the transmission...how hard is it to pull the transmission and replace...? transmission will not go into 1 or 2 either.
  • muddyimportsmuddyimports Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Durango, When I stop @ stop signs or red lights & try to take off it seems that I have to give it alot of gasto get it going. If I pull the shifter down to 1st & take off it is fine then I shift it back to drive. I took to a tranny shop & they replaced TC sol. & 3-4 sol. today. Picked it up & it did it 1 time on way home any ideas?
  • sterlinglsterlingl Member Posts: 1
    Check for damage to the rubber boot on the drive line where it connects to the transfer case. This is a cv joint, if the boot is torn the bearings will soon go bad and cause the grinding noise you are hearing. I replaced my front drive line with an improved aftermarket one that has a u-joint instead of the weaker more vulnerable cv. Found it on ebay for about 200 bucks. Same price as a oe remanufactured.
  • freetobe197712freetobe197712 Member Posts: 2
    shift solinoid is about an hour job but the part is 100$ start to finish i have the same issue with my truck did not have 2nd gear but felt like an electronic problem but no codes came up so i was told check the solinoid so i did lol well it did not work bought the replacement from pull apart 5 bucks. so went and bought a new one 100$ still not the fix. so i dealt with the issue foe a few weeks and did other things to truck cause i was getting 9 miles to gallon. well did this and that and then today did a flush on the radiator and put new fluid in while sitting waiting on cool downs to drain i was tinkering with the motor and i found a cable at the trotel body that seemed loose ends up that it was the trotel valve cable and a quick tinkering with the spring on it i have 2nd gear now weird but ironically this cable is what replaced the old vacume hoses that run your tranny. cost me nothing to fix and the truck runns better than it ever did.if i bought a new cable would of been a dealer part and 80$ a new tranny would cost 1500$ a pull apart tranny 100$ and alll that crazy work because that is what i was leanning on doing next to this truck. five mins worth of work and no money can not beat that.
  • freetobe197712freetobe197712 Member Posts: 2
    throtel valve cable dealer part 80$ or just adust the cable at the throtel body works great for me
  • pygmymamapygmymama Member Posts: 1
    Our transmission started slipping/jerking as I was towing a 2300lb trailer with about 500 lbs of livestock in it. I was traveling up long grades when I felt it begin to slip. The engine is a V8, but not the Hemi. We have towed 10 times previously with this car and in mountainous areas with no trouble. I had the guy at Advance Auto check it out and everything on his instrument came up transmission. One the the items that showed up was Torque Converter. My husband was not with me so I parked the vehicle, rented a Ford F-150 and continued my trip. We are taking it in today to be checked out. What can we expect? I can't understand why this vehicle can't tow 3,000 lbs when on paper it's supposed to tow more. Prior to our owning it for the past 10 months, it only had one owner who never towed with it and used for local driving.
  • ryearick85ryearick85 Member Posts: 1
    i was going to work the other day stoped picked up a friend went backed up whent put it in drive spit like it was going to stall the check engine lite came on pulled the code it was a p-0700 witch is a computer control module when i leave from a stop sign i have first gear up intill 2500 to 3000 rpm no matter how i drive it once i hit them rpms it shifts passed 2nd and goes in to drive wont shift in to second automaticaly have to do it manualy wont kick down in to second wont kick down in to first just stays in drive wont shift in to over drive changed fluids and filters no metal in the pan stumped been working on it all day anone got any answers other that to shot it
  • lilsnobunnylilsnobunny Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Durango it has a 5.2. It only has 2nd and 3rd gear doen't go in overdrive. The engine light comes on and the code reads P0749. When you reset it by unplugging the battery it shifts 1st thru 3rd everytime then when it gets to overdrive light comes on and has no o/d. Then when you stop it starts out in 2nd shifts to 3rd only. Limp mode. Replaced tranny twice same problem. :cry:
  • lilsnobunnylilsnobunny Member Posts: 2
    Sounds almost the same problem I am having. My husband is going to try changing the computer tomorrow. Have you fixed yours yet?
  • shellmanshellman Member Posts: 1

2005 durango SLT 5.7 Hemi. When pulling to a stop, a vibration is heard and noticeably felt through the vehicle. Place it in neutral and it stops. Does it about 85% of the time. Anyone experience this, or have suggestions on the issue? Thank you.

• masonshepardmasonshepard Member Posts: 1
    So, I bought a 98 durango, my tranny will shift into drive but nothing happens its like its in neutral I put it into drive and I only have 1st gear...what do I do to fix it? I dont have a check engine light on either..