Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Likes and Dislikes

2»

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    This vehicle has a tendency to lock itself, in a matter of seconds, after you get out of it, regardless of wether you have the keys in your hands or not.
    This has caught me out at least twice since I've been driving it, it's another thing that I have learned to live with.

You can't turn the electric seat heaters off during the summer!

You must not be in the US or you have aftermarket Alarm and seat warmers. USDM CR-V did not have either of those standard from factory.

The factory heated seats on the Canadian, and 2005-2006 USDM CR-V's do have an on/off switch on the dashboard, by the steering wheel.
  • suvsuvsuvsuv Member Posts: 5
    My dislikes:

The wipers are bad in so many ways: The controls are the worst I've ever encountered. You can't tell when they're off...The rear wiper always operates (in reverse) if the wipers are activated; even on delay and even when the rear is switched "off". I hate that.
    ...They have been awful in the winter--the passenger side wiper never heats-up; it's useless.

The tires, like with most of these cars, are ineffective for winter driving. The manufacturers always stick us with soft tires/light tread. (EX/AWD)

I would have bought a Sante Fe to get what I really wanted (incl. a 6 instead of a 4), just couldn't deal at all with the dealer. This vehicle is good quality, but overpriced.

I'm heading toward a Subaru or Nissan next time out.
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    Bought mine in late November and have enjoyed it for the most part. Here are my minor grips:

Arm rests are not long enough. I could use another inch or two.

Could also use a couple more inches of legroom for the driver. Not sure if this is because of the powerseat or if they all stop just a little short. I am not the primary driver, so I can live with it.

Wish there was a remote hatch release from the driver's seat or a power hatch.

I would like to have all the doors unlock when I turn the car off. Kind of a pain to get out and then realize everyone else is still locked in.

Cream leather shows dirt way to easily. I am concerned about how well it will clean.
    The all weather mats also show a lot of dirt and scuff marks.
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I would like to have all the doors unlock when I turn the car off. Kind of a pain to get out and then realize everyone else is still locked in.

One of the auto unlock settings (There are five) is all doors and tailgate will unlock when the shift lever is moved to the park position.
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    I was going to ask about that when I took it in for the first oil change.

Another complaint is that the dash lights up when you start the car but it does not have auto-headlights. My wife got stopped the other day for not having her lights on. The driving lights are almost as bright as the regular headlights so it is hard to tell when driving.
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    I was going to ask about that when I took it in for the first oil change.

It's in your owner's manual, and so is a page of instrument panels indicators, one of which is "headlights on".
  • yorkinsonyorkinson Member Posts: 1
    My wife has an 08 EX-L which we purchased in May of 08. She loves the car and I find that I am basically happy with it but I agree fully that no auto on/off headlights is something that should be fixed. I mean, really. We had a 03 Pontiac and I have an 05 Dodge truck and they both have auto on/off headlights. Surely Honda could figure out how to do this with $10 of electronic gear.
  • bvf925bvf925 Member Posts: 12
    My 2005 CR-V EX locks on me too if I don't open the door within so many seconds after hitting the unlock button on my key. I guess it's a safety thing.

I like mostly everything about my CR-V with a 5 speed manual (last year of the manual) - especially for the fantastic gas mileage. It has lots of power, roomy interior, tons of standard features, stock 6cd 6 speaker cassette stereo, power sunroof, intense heater, smooth ride, and comfortable seats. I am the original owner with just under 60,000 miles on it.

However, I am not impressed with the AWD at all. It's always a day late and a dollar short - completely useless. It's fine if you are on flat surfaces where the front wheels do all the work, but up here in the hills where I live, it can't get out of it's own way. I can't tell you how many times i've gotten stuck - and even in my own driveway. My Subaru was fantastic in the snow, but this CR-V is lousy. I do not feel confident with it at all in the snow. :(
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Wait - so your wife was driving with daytime running lights on, lights that are made to be on for daytime use, and she was stopped because she didn't have the full headlights on? I don't understand. Are daytime running lights not legal enough?
    Yours is a 2005 ... I assume some improvements may have been made since then?

Many of the situations you describe are one where any vehicle would slide. We had a 2007 Outback and it fishtailed in gravel as well as in piled up, loose snow (even with the improved tires I purchased).

I'm intrigured by your comment because I have seen and heard many anecdotal comments about how well the CR-V does in snow on hills. Yours is the first I have seen that disagrees. I also wonder about the AWD system that comes on ... is it effective vs. a full-time system like the Outback?
    Hi denver 5357: I can't speak about the newer CR-V's since my 2005 model year because I don't know anyone who has one. All's I can say is, based upon my point of reference between all-wheel-all-the-time on Subaru's and the CR-V "only when it thinks it needs it AWD", I find the CR-V is horrible for my winter driving needs.

This comparison is based upon my previous 1998 Subaru Forester that was spot-on with snow of all depths, loose gravel, snow covered roads & hills, no fishtailing during turns, never skidded, never got stuck, changed lanes on snow packed highways without losing control, etc..... I have had negative results with the CR-V in all aforementioned conditions. Maybe it's me and the way I expect it to handle, but even my husband has had issues driving it in the snow. Could it be because my model year is tall and top heavy whereas the Subaru's and new CR-V's are lower profile? Don't know.

Most new vehicles are built with the "auto" all-wheel-drive now. This is sufficient for most people who drive on paved, well traveled, melted roads in busy winter commuter traffic. Frankly, I will consider another Subaru or a Jeep where the vehicle will do what it's supposed to when it's needed on unplowed roads in hilly terrain - not after the fact, or, not at all.

Other than that, the CR-V is a very nice, reliable, roomy, affordable family oriented vehicle with excellent gas mileage. It's too bad it's just not working for me 100%.
    My 2005 CR-V EX locks on me too if I don't open the door within so many seconds after hitting the unlock button on my key. I guess it's a safety thing.

I like mostly everything about my CR-V with a 5 speed manual (last year of the manual) - especially for the fantastic gas mileage. It has lots of power, roomy interior, tons of standard features, stock 6cd 6 speaker cassette stereo, power sunroof, intense heater, smooth ride, and comfortable seats. I am the original owner with just under 60,000 miles on it.

However, I am not impressed with the AWD at all. It's always a day late and a dollar short - completely useless. It's fine if you are on flat surfaces where the front wheels do all the work, but up here in the hills where I live, it can't get out of it's own way. I can't tell you how many times i've gotten stuck - and even in my own driveway. My Subaru was fantastic in the snow, but this CR-V is lousy. I do not feel confident with it at all in the snow.

I have an 05 as well, and manual as well!

2006 is the last year they made manual CR-V, BTW.

As to AWD, AWDis great. I should know, I live in Buffalo.

Your limiting factor is tires. If tires are not getting traction, then no AWD in the world will help. Stock tires are good for 15,000-20,000 miles.

I have Yokohama Avid Touring and have no problem navigating unplowed roads up to 18-24 inches of snow. Any snow over 12 inches high make the exhaust sound very loud, as if I had lost the muffler. But the noise goes away as snow recedes.

Also, I turn off VSC when I need full control of the throttle, since it cuts power to the engine if all 4 wheels are skidding.
    Hello blueiedgod:

I love the manual transmission, don't you??!

Interesting about turning off the VSC - obviously I never thought of that! I'll have to try it out on a day where there's light snow just to get the feel of it.

Thanks for the tire suggestion. I've been thinking that's part of the problem - I replaced the stock tires relatively soon after getting the CR-V because they were practically bald after just 30,000 miles. The pair that's on there now only has about 29,000+ miles on them but they're not doing the job & they never have. I've read other posts about people putting 50lb bags of birdseed or dog food in the back over the rear tires because torque is great, but if you don't have traction, then it's just not going to help.

If you can survive a winter in Buffalo with the 2005 CR-V, then I guess i'm going to have to give it another chance and put some Yokohama's on it! :)

You may have just saved me $25,000 by not purchasing a new car! Too bad I have to wait until next winter to try these things out. Thank you so much!!!
    Hey no problem. Glad I could help.

Next time you try the "VSC off" driving, you can see how easy it is to set the car drifting. Keep her in 1st, turn the wheel almost full lock, and give her gas. She will spin around the front wheels.

Have someone video tape and post it on youtube

Here is mine

Manuals are AWESOME. Anything else is a eunic. :P
    Looks like a blast! Now I kind of want winter to come back so I can try it! Glad to see those rear wheels really do work ;)

I'm going tire shopping this week. Thanks again, blueiedgod!
    No problem.

We are expecting up to 8" of snow here tonight, so, come on up to Buffalo :surprise:
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Wait - so your wife was driving with daytime running lights on, lights that are made to be on for daytime use, and she was stopped because she didn't have the full headlights on? I don't understand. Are daytime running lights not legal enough? "

I suspect she got stopped at night; the running lights don't activate the tail lights.
    Gotcha. She drove at night with running lights on, thinking they were headlights. Thanks.
  • noisydashnoisydash Member Posts: 5
    Prospective buyers should be aware that Honda PR may be better than Honda products. My 03 CRV EX needed tires at 20,000 miles (Michelin replacements have lasted 47K and counting) (so thanks Honda for that rip), front struts went at 40K, rotors at 42K, AC compressor at 10K, and the sunvisor flopped limply at 65K ($100 replace).
    Not too impressive.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Ah, but you seem to be the exception (sorry to hear about your problems) as CR and their readers (ie CR-V owners) consistently give it excellent ratings. W/O knowing your driving style, tires wearing out that fast are usually due do driver performance. Can't speak for the other problems but they can happen with any vehicle.
    Why oh why do people feel the need to be Honda apologists? My message stated that the replacement tires have lasted @47K miles (compared to 20K on OE
    'Duelers'). The OE tires on 03's DID have horrible performance as reflected in CRV forums.
    I have an 03 Odyssey that has had not unusual wear or breakdowns (tires lasted 65K).
    I forgot to add that the motivation for my original post was that the CRV now has three failed door lock actuators. The unsympathetic dealer wants $600. See ya Honda!
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Does any body pay attention to the useless current fuel mileage indicators that are on the upper information display ?
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    Yes. I find it handy to know how hard the engine is working relative to it's speed. On rolling hills, you can use it to help maximize your mileage.

It can also tell you if your going uphill, downhill, have a headwind or crosswind, and you can predict when it's about to unlock the torque converter for more power.

Hey, if nothing else, it's something to pass the time. Personally, I like it and woudln;t ind also having a gear indicator with a symbol as well to indicate if the torque converter in locked or unlocked.

I could see some seeing it as information overload.
  • ckrolckrol Member Posts: 9
    Just in case anyone is unsure of purchasing CR-V, just thought I'd tell you that I just traded my 2007 in, upgraded to Odyssey. I miss it already! I had to upgrade due to growing family.

I had the ex-l or whatever the fully-loaded version is. I consistently got great mileage, never a problem with the car. Handles beautifully on rural roads as well as highway. Great instrument panels and safety features.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I loved this car and miss it already. I love my new van but it's going to take some time to get used to the size!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    feel free to email me

Feel free to keep the discussion here so everyone will benefit. In fact, we'd very much prefer that. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • suvsuvsuvsuv Member Posts: 5
    I absolutely HATE the wiper controls & the way the rear wiper operates. I'm not an idiot (really), and I still can't tell when the wipers are off. I am forever getting into the car in the morning (garaged) and the wipers start-up. If the wipers are on delay, the rear wiper will wipe when you back up. I don't want it to do that. It's very frustrating when a car thinks you know what it wants you to do and does it for you.

Yes, that's probably my biggest dislike...not the end of the world. The AWD system isn't the greatest--always pulling/vibrating while turning. All around, a good vehicle; even one I would recommend. It's comfortable, reliable, and a great value. My taste--I'm ready to trade-in and get something else.
  • dgrebdgreb Member Posts: 65
    Hi,

I purchased a Accord LX-P in Aug last year and we've decided that the CRV is more practical for us.

What are the chances of a dealer not taking us to the cleaners and offering a ridiculous trade-in and then making something from the CR-V?

The Accord has 5k miles on it. I'd even consider a straight swap for a 09 CRV LX/EX with the same mileage.

Thanks
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    It's a fact of life, a 1-year-old car with 5k miles on it is worth considerably less than a new one. Still, car sales are slow these days even for Honda. And maybe your dealer has a surplus of CR-Vs and a shortage of low mileage Accords. Could be.

What about selling your car and then buying a slightly used CR-V?
    Yes. I find it handy to know how hard the engine is working relative to it's speed. On rolling hills, you can use it to help maximize your mileage.

It can also tell you if your going uphill, downhill, have a headwind or crosswind, and you can predict when it's about to unlock the torque converter for more power.

Hey, if nothing else, it's something to pass the time. Personally, I like it and woudln;t ind also having a gear indicator with a symbol as well to indicate if the torque converter in locked or unlocked.

I could see some seeing it as information overload.

Sounds like you would benefit from driving manual. You would know exactly what gear it is in, and the rest of the feedback you are seeking :D
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like you would benefit from driving manual. You would know exactly what gear it is in, and the rest of the feedback you are seeking

Been there done that, got the T-shirt.... 3 of my last 4 cars were manuals. It's a love/hate thing with both manuals and automatics. I think I would like a manual, if it's was a semi-auto clutch. Where you used the clutch in 1st gear, then used paddle shifters after that. Why? Well, where I live now, I have a 3 mile commute with 6 stop signs and 1 stop light. My last car was a 6 speed, so I could get into 4th gear at 30mph with 1 stretch 35mph so I use 5th gear... plus 2 turns, when I downshift. If I donwshift once for engine braking, and don't skip any gears when upsifting, if I get stopped at the light... that's 37 shifts in a 8-10 minute drive to work. It becomes more tedious than fun.

For comparison, when I used to go to the race track with my motorcycle. In a 1:30 lap on a 2 mile circuit, I would shift only 16 times. That was a LOT more fun. Especially with a 100HP, 400lb motorcycle that reved to 14k RPM.

Heck, my BMW mtorcycle with it's tall gearing, would only need to be shifted 16 times since I only use 1st and 2nd gears at those speeds. Plus it's a lot easier on a motorcycle, sicne you only need to squeeze one lever with your hand and toe up the shift lever with your foot, rather than lift your leg to push down a pedal. I never could heel toe in my car, but it's easy to blip the throttle on the motorcycle and brake at the same time.

Plus, most all manuals these days have shorter final drives and overdrive gears, so they rev a LOT more on the freeway than automatics. The Fit and Civic are good examples. There's almost a 1000RPM difference between the auto and manual verson of those cars at freeway speeds.

The benefits of the manual, soon failed ot outweigh the drawbacks. The final deciding factor, was that my wife didnt; want ot drive a manual. She can, and used ot own a miata when she lived in CA. But no longer desires to utilieze 3 pedals and use both hands to drive.
  • quikglik1quikglik1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I recently purchased a 2010 CR-V LX. I've owned many other non-luxury Japanese brands before and so far can't see that the Honda cars are as magical as some people and car reviewers make them out to be. I have issues with a few interior design items (small radio buttons, very small alarm blinking light, crazy folding rear seats etc.), but it's just a matter of convenience. Anyway, one feature that doesn't make sense to me is the rear seat headrests that apparently cannot be removed. They could be tilted forward, but how can you have non-removable headrests? I rarely have rear seat passengers, and would like to have them out of the way for better visibility. Actually, the small middle headrest is removable, but apparently not the two main ones. Am I missing something? Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the rear headrests? Also, the driver seat cushion seems to me to be titled too much back, meaning that it feels like you sit on a toilet. I personally prefer to sit horizontally (and high). LX doesn't have the seat cushion tilt adjustment. So in order to make the sitting position more horizontal, you have to lower the seat which, in turn, straightens out the seat cushion angle. I guess it's just my gripes.
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    I have a 2008 CRV LX and I've removed my rear headrest before. Press the button and pull out. I know I've heard that the front seat headrest should not come out but I've also seen, on youtube.com, that those come out too. When you have the passenger seat tilted all the way back, w/o the headrest...it makes for a ice lounge chair on long travel trips for people over 6ft.
    As for the seat adjustment... I just put a pillow in back of my on my bad back days.
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    I own a 2010 CRV LX as well. I've put 5K business miles on it so far. Its not a bad long trip vehicle - more comfort and performance than I anticipated. My gripes with the vehicle are - it has no outside air temperature gauge, the intermittent wipers have only one speed, and, not - so - hot fuel economy at interstate speeds. Don't know about the rear headrests - I haven't tried to remove them. I'm not a die-hard Honda fan - have had mixed results with the few I've owned over the years. I bought the CRV because it drove better than the competitors I tried.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • bllfishbllfish Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    I have a 2003 Honda CRV and the alarm that sounds if I accidently leave the light on stopped beeping.
    Anyone know the fix for this problem.
    Thanks,
    bllfish
  • dmt_myobdmt_myob Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    Well guys, the LX is the "base" model after all and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the two other trims. If outside temperature gauge and intermittent wipers was important enough, you should have splurged for the EX. And, if the driving position is that uncomfortable with the manual adjustments, then choosing the EX-L would have given you 8 way power seat. Honda has given consumers a few choices in trim levels and it is up to you to decide what you feel is important before you buy - not after. ;)

As for the headrest, I believe this is the first year the two outer rear headrests do not come out. However, if you take the middle one out and tilt the two others down, visibility is quite good.
    While not all that important to me, the two niggles I mentioned kind of surprised me. The last 4 "base' model domestics I've used for business had those two features as standard equipment.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    I think you answered your own question in your previous post. It doesn't have vairable internittent wipers or a outside temperature gauge on the base model like some domenstics. But you noted that you like hte way it rides and handles. Well, guess where Honda decided to put it's money? On the parts that count, not fluff. Honda has less fluff, because they put their resources towards suspension and steering components and chassis development.

For example while hte new Equinox is a huge improvement and very nice vehcile that rides well and has tons of standard features...more than hte CR-V, it's still doens't handle or perform lie the CR-V. It has similar interior space, but weighs almost 400lbs more. That's how you offer fluff, and come in at the same price. Using higher strenght steel and using more product development to further refine the chassis design, is how you keep the weight down and increase performance. the EPA numbers are hgiher on the Equinox, but good luck comming even remotely clsoe to those numbrs i nteh real world. they've carfeully programmed hte transmission and tuned the engine to perform well in the EPA tests. 400 extra lbs can't be ignored so easily in the real world.
    To clarify - up till now my business drivers have been sedans. The last one, a Saturn Aura, drove like an Audi. The CRV does drive better than some of the sedans I've owned (a couple of Chrysler Sebrings come to mind here). However, I can't brag about the CRV's fuel economy - mine doesn't get close to its EPA rating on trips. I don't know much about the Equinox - haven't heard anything about the real-world fuel economy on them. Didn't even shop it, because wife hates Chevys.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    I'll agree with you on gas mileage. Driving in the Northeast part of the country the hilly terrain is a killer on fuel economy. Certainly nothing like the optimal conditions where the EPA produce their gas mileage estimates.

That being said, I'm getting 22 - 23 mpg on average in mostly rural driving conditions.
    Know what you mean - I live in West Virginia. Plenty of hilly terrain to climb. Funny though - I drove my brother - in - law's 4 cylinder RAV last year across Mo. and it didn't do that great on fuel economy either.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • 2005crvowner2005crvowner Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 CRV and love it with the exception of all the road noise. I did the following and it made a significant difference (I can easiliy talk to my wife in either the front or back seat from the driver's seat).
    (1) there wasn't any sound dampening under the rear seats. I removed the seats, installed foam carpet padding, like from Lowes, and reinstalled seats.
    (2) My CRV has a door seal near the outside of the door but there isn't one near the inside. Since the threasholds aren't sound-proof, the road noise comes straight through the threasholds into the car. Installing the 1/2" thick el-cheepo gray open foam stick-on door seal from Lowes (it comes in a 10 ft roll) did the trick. Install the seal on the vertical surfaces right where the inside of the door shuts against those edges.
    (3) Install sound attenuating mat on the inside of the doors. This was the most expensive part ($325) since I had a local audio company do the work for me. The labor was essentially free since I would have had to pay over $300 just for the materials.

Try it; you'll love it.

I'm surprised Honda hasn't fixed this problem. It is really annoying. But otherwise the car is great.
  • crvexl2008crvexl2008 Member Posts: 15
    Best thing about my CR-V is the MPG's ! 32 on the highway, 25 in the city !
This discussion has been closed.